or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › I have a sin to confess...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

I have a sin to confess...

post #1 of 14
Thread Starter 
I have two sons that are aged 8 and 6 who love videogaming. I bought a PS2 for them and... well... I've been playing Guitar Hero II with them.

Worse than that I care.... about how I did. (hangs head in shame)

I've completed easy and medium on five stars mostly just because I know the songs, have some decent finger dexterity and am pretty good with rhythms. I've tried to go to the hard level and... well there is clearly something I don't get since I can't even complete a song at that level.

So what am I not getting?

Try to explain it in a way that a 38 year old man won't feel shame in asking for advice on Guitar Hero II.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply
post #2 of 14
You shouldn't be ashamed until the six year old gets to that level and starts owning you.

Then you whip out your Commodore 64 and take him to school...
"If I had played my career hitting singles like Pete (Rose), I'd wear a dress." - Mickey Mantle
Reply
"If I had played my career hitting singles like Pete (Rose), I'd wear a dress." - Mickey Mantle
Reply
post #3 of 14
Ah, a wonderful post about parenting fears. Makes you seem suspiciously human, trumpty.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #4 of 14
Oh Nick. I hear you.

I got 50% on 'expert' mode the second time I played, and felt... special.

I am 36.
post #5 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hassan i Sabbah View Post

Oh Nick. I hear you.

I got 50% on 'expert' mode the second time I played, and felt... special.

I am 36.

Dude..all I know is tried my cousins' GH game last xmas and got my ass schooled! Being a music teacher I was all trash talking them (they are much younger...12-15 range). Not so much.

This is pretty much how good they were compared to me.

Fucking kids.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
post #6 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guybrush Threepwood View Post

You shouldn't be ashamed until the six year old gets to that level and starts owning you.

Then you whip out your Commodore 64 and take him to school...

What are you talking about?

You weren't even born when that was released. But your mom was....
post #7 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

Dude..all I know is tried my cousins' GH game last xmas and got my ass schooled! Being a music teacher I was all trash talking them (they are much younger...12-15 range). Not so much.

This is pretty much how good they were compared to me.

Fucking kids.

Holy Jesus... I think that video right there just made me give up the game!!

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply
post #8 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnJ View Post

What are you talking about?

You weren't even born when that was released. But your mom was....

Don't make me bring your little doctor into this...
"If I had played my career hitting singles like Pete (Rose), I'd wear a dress." - Mickey Mantle
Reply
"If I had played my career hitting singles like Pete (Rose), I'd wear a dress." - Mickey Mantle
Reply
post #9 of 14
Eh, that one fizzled.

P.S. You can bust back without getting that kind of personal.

post #10 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

Dude..all I know is tried my cousins' GH game last xmas and got my ass schooled! Being a music teacher I was all trash talking them (they are much younger...12-15 range). Not so much.


You are not alone
...
post #11 of 14
My advice (coming from an almost 27 year old woman) is.. PRACTICE! I have GH3 on my xbox and I love it. Go into practice mode and find the best way to play 5 buttons with 4 fingers, I found that shifting down to where my pinky was on the orange and my index finger played red and green was a lot easier than trying to make my poor pinky finger playing blue and orange (I think I got stuck with short pinkies! )

oh PRACTICE!
post #12 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanzskater View Post

My advice (coming from an almost 27 year old woman) is.. PRACTICE! I have GH3 on my xbox and I love it. Go into practice mode and find the best way to play 5 buttons with 4 fingers, I found that shifting down to where my pinky was on the orange and my index finger played red and green was a lot easier than trying to make my poor pinky finger playing blue and orange (I think I got stuck with short pinkies! )

oh PRACTICE!

I cannot bring myself to practice. Unless of course you call going back over the songs you have already played at the same level and trying to get more stars on them to be practice.

Something clicked in my head and I now comprehend the orange button and can shift back and forth between the two. I now have finished 25 out of 40 songs on hard. There is something I am still not getting about the picking especially with fast runs.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply
post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

This is pretty much how good they were compared to me.

Fucking kids.

That guy must have watched Skwisgar Skwigelf's pay-per-view event.

edit:
For those of you who enjoyed the Guitar Hero lightning round videos, I dug deep into my admittedly large collection of cheesy metal CDs and found the source material. This one might be the cheesiest. Skip past the bulk of this low-budget video and go straight to about 3:20. The video has a clear vibe of being made for the GH playing masses, but ... Cheaters! They have two guys on guitar. One even has the time to pound a Heineken during the solo (err, duet). They also rock it out with both hands over the top of the neck during the fast parts, which I don't think works on the Guitar Hero controller.
Cat: the other white meat
Reply
Cat: the other white meat
Reply
post #14 of 14
This thread is refreshing.
Most of us employ the Internet not to seek the best information, but rather to select information that confirms our prejudices. - Nicholas D. Kristof
Reply
Most of us employ the Internet not to seek the best information, but rather to select information that confirms our prejudices. - Nicholas D. Kristof
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AppleOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › I have a sin to confess...