or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple spotted filming commercial at Fifth Avenue store

Apple spotted filming commercial at Fifth Avenue store

post #1 of 38
Confirming suspicions raised by Apple's own website, observers have witnessed the company filming a commercial inside its Fifth Avenue retail store, with clues surfacing as to just what products may be involved.

Those live blogging the proceedings at The iLife describe film crews outside the location setting up lights around the Manhattan outlet's signature glass cube for a video shoot, one which has led Apple to notify customers through its website that it would close the store between 3PM on Thursday and 9AM on Friday.

The store's human resources manager is on-site and "clearly happy" about the event, according to a report.

While views of the inside are limited, glimpses reveal carefully crafted changes to the normal appearance of the underground store. Demonstration computers have been changed to hide the menu bar and dock from view.

More importantly, people within the store appear to be gathering around one set of tables -- the iPhone tables. These are surrounded by cardboard which is said to be "eerie" and "very Apple."

Adding to the unusual nature are black cases labeled "Anonymous 5+4."

While it's still uncertain as to just what Apple intends with the filming, the production may be part of a more concerted Apple promotional campaign. Murmurs from the underground sent to AppleInsider suggest that famed director and regular Final Cut Studio user David Fincher has been involved in shooting a commercial for Apple in Los Angeles.

Photos from The iLife's coverage follow.

The set outside Apple Store Fifth Ave. | Image credits: The iLife.

Studio lights outside the cube. | Image credits: The iLife.

iMacs inside the store during filming. | Image credits: The iLife.

Film crews around tables; note the backing cardboard. | Image credits: The iLife.

A blurry photo of crates marked "Anonymous 5+4" entering the store. | Image credits: The iLife.
post #2 of 38
An Apple commercial, no way shock horror!! \
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #3 of 38
Now I know why they made the iPhone camera so crappy: the better to foil would-be spies!
post #4 of 38
Mr. Blurrycam is back!!!!
post #5 of 38
Ahh these are the Apple rumors of ages olde!
Blurry pictures, mysterious boxes, top it off with secret directors!

Seriously, was there a reason you had to be all blurry other than to be obvious that you were taking a picture of something completely not image worthy?

Anyways, I can't wait for June 9th.... I've been itching for a good keynote lately.
post #6 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by -dF View Post

Mr. Blurrycam is back!!!!

Good thing there is an elevator in the store then.

/Adrian
post #7 of 38
the original iPhone was 4 revolutionary devices in one right? Is there a possibility that they are adding 5 more? I can't wait for the new iPhone. 9 revolutionary devices in one WOW!
post #8 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeawhite View Post

the original iPhone was 4 revolutionary devices in one right? Is there a possibility that they are adding 5 more? I can't wait for the new iPhone. 9 revolutionary devices in one WOW!

It peels, it chops, it blends, it slices, it dices... it even talks to mices!

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #9 of 38
This is all so much fun!

When I used to shoot Tv commercials, and other stuff, we always had people gawking at us from behind the ropes that were put up. We never bothered to hide product though. No one was so concerned in those days.
post #10 of 38
Quote:

the original iPhone was 4 revolutionary devices in one right? Is there a possibility that they are adding 5 more?

i really doubt that 5 + 4 refers to anything like that.... but i could hope that these are the five:

high quality camera - if samsung has on sale 5 megapixel autofocus 7.2Mbit HSDPA phones with flash and full touch screen that are thinner than the iphone, apple should be able to. (F480 and F490)

gps - gps now has minimal cost and battery life impact and ties into core location in the SDK perfectly

video conferencing - every 3G phone has had a second camera with video calling since 2003. Apple submitted h.264 extensions to the standard in 2004 with AT&T.

itunes over 3G - itunes videos and music downloadable over hsdpa

app store - hundreds of applications in your pocket
post #11 of 38
Quote:

No, it was/is 3.

"A Widescreen iPod with Touch Controls
A Revolutionary Mobile Phone
A Breakthrough Internet Communications device.

An iPod
a Phone
an Internet Communicator

An iPod
a Phone
an Internet Communicator

Are you getting it?

These are not 3 separate devices."

(yes, I've watched the keynote more than once).
post #12 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sport73 View Post

No, it was/is 3.

An iPod
a Phone
an Internet Communicator

An iPod
a Phone
an Internet Communicator

Are you getting it?

A Camera
post #13 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by SARO91201 View Post

A Camera

I don't think "a camera" quite qualifies as a legendary device. Its internet functionality, use as a phone, and that it contains an iPod were arguably "revolutionary, breakthrough," etc. features. A camera in a phone isn't exactly a dramatic development.
20" iMac Core Duo
15" MacBook Pro
20" iMac Core Duo
15" MacBook Pro
post #14 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Animal Farm View Post

I don't think "a camera" quite qualifies as a legendary device. Its internet functionality, use as a phone, and that it contains an iPod were arguably "revolutionary, breakthrough," etc. features. A camera in a phone isn't exactly a dramatic development.

Ah yes, but an Ipod with a camera.....
post #15 of 38
Quote:

No, it was/is 3.

An iPod
a Phone
an Internet Communicator

An iPod
a Phone
an Internet Communicator

Are you getting it?

It's three breath mints in one!

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #16 of 38
We had a modernistic (lots of glass) computer store, less than a mile from Apple HQ.

In Nov 1983 Apple used the store to film a Mac intro commercial. We closed the Store. Apple papered over all the windows & doors to block any outside viewers,

The shoot was supposed to take 2-3 hours. It took over 9 hours. None of our employees left & our whole crew got to play with the 2 Macs for a few minutes after the shoot.

In the ad, the 1st Mac was "sold" over our front counter...

Fun times!
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
post #17 of 38
Quote:

An iPod
a Phone
an Internet Communicator

Are you getting it?

These are not 3 separate devices.
Yes, I've watched the keynote more than once.

"Are you getting it?"

I've watched the keynote more than once too. And I still remember that particular moment. Steve got everyone excited as hell !
post #18 of 38
Any news about FCC iPhone application?!

It is about one week away!
post #19 of 38
Okay, since the iPhone is such a revolutionary device could this be a code for:

http://tinyurl.com/yap277

Maybe it will be a 3G iPhone plus the announcement of a new artist available on iTunes.

It would mark a 40th anniversary of the LP's release too which would be a nice touch.

Update: okay, the web now says Anonymous 5+4 refers to the company Anonymous Content. But wouldn't it be cool if in the keynote Jobs introduced: New 3G iPhone, new iTunes to go with it and one more thing... Sir Paul McCartney to play a song or two as they announce the Beatles catalog on iTunes.
post #20 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

Any news about FCC iPhone application?!

It is about one week away!

Not to break your party, but in iPhone roadmap steve note, they say that, iPhone 2.0 software, is released late june, so they still have few weeks to go
post #21 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

It peels, it chops, it blends, it slices, it dices... it even talks to mices!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

It's three breath mints in one!

"It's a dessert topping AND a floor wax!"
post #22 of 38
Apple don't make commercials, they make ads. (At least that's what Steve calls them in his keynotes)
post #23 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by SARO91201 View Post

A Camera

That is not how it was introduced in the Keynote.
Steve quite clearly said :-

A Widescreen iPod with Touch Controls
A Breakthrough Internet Communications device

Those were the 3 devices he said would be introduced and then said they would all be in one device.
post #24 of 38
Guys come on now, stop over thinking this....

5+4=9....hmmm.....June 9th, could it be, WWDC?? wait, it is....the announcement day of the new iphone...

Noobs.... ...lol...

Meaning...it was the 3g iphones in there...
post #25 of 38
4: Ipod, phone, internet, camera?

5: app store, records video, gps, 3g, games??
post #26 of 38
Didn't anyone get it?

Apple Spotted? Apple . . . Spotted?

Apple, Spotted . . . Leopard. Good one.
post #27 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by macFanDave View Post

Didn't anyone get it?

Apple Spotted? Apple . . . Spotted?

Apple, Spotted . . . Leopard. Good one.

Lord have mercy.
post #28 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Animal Farm View Post

I went looking for a camera / phone and decided on a Nikon D300 and Razor

Skip
post #29 of 38
Anonymous Content is the production company and 5+4 is the name of the commercial - usually a code name that describes an aspect of the shoot or the product.

James
post #30 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Lord have mercy.

Aw, shucks, you are making me blush. I didn't realize my little observation about a clever pun in a headline could cause you to have a spiritual moment.

BTW, I noticed your name and location and always wanted to ask a question of an Irishman: I got married on St. Patrick's Day and I've noticed that stores here in the US have St. Patrick's Day/Birthday combo cards, but no St. Patrick's Day/Anniversary combo cards. Do you have them over there, or are St. Patrick's Day greeting cards just an American commercial contrivance?

Thanks
post #31 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by retroneo View Post

app store - hundreds of applications in your pocket

Wow that is actually an great tag line for there App Store.
post #32 of 38
http://store.apple.com/us/browse/hom...ne?mco=MTE2NTQ

8GB
Ships: Currently Unavailable
$399.002

16GB
$499.002
post #33 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/hom...ne?mco=MTE2NTQ

8GB
$399.002

16GB
$499.002

Welcome to two weeks ago
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
post #34 of 38
While I can't get into too much detail I can confirm that several colleagues of mine did indeed shoot an iPhone commercial/spot/ad with David Fincher this past Saturday & Sunday on the Warner Bros. lot stage #15 in Burbank.
Black, 3G, business aps, "amazing set design" are some of the more generic/predictable comments I can share...
post #35 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flounder View Post

Welcome to two weeks ago

I did not know they were not available at the online store 2 weeks ago.
post #36 of 38
"5 + 4"

It's simple, guys! 9 days more for the 3G iPhones to be released.
post #37 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamraj View Post

"5 + 4"

It's simple, guys! 9 days more for the 3G iPhones to be released.

9 Days? I have 6 days!

Then again I am not counting weekends since they seem to go by so fast!
post #38 of 38
5 + 4 = 9
iPhone 3G= 63
63 / 9 = 7
7 + 16 = 23

It will be released on the 16th of June!
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple spotted filming commercial at Fifth Avenue store