or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › Is 2 Year Old Beer Drinkable?

Is 2 Year Old Beer Drinkable? - Page 2

Poll Results: Well, what do you say?

This is a multiple choice poll
  • 45% (19)
    It's still drinkable.
  • 16% (7)
    Toss it.
  • 38% (16)
    You should drink it as punishment.
42 Total Votes  
post #41 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

Niiiicce. Gay, but nice.

I thought a shandy was an Australian concept. It's what women used to drink. Well, sheilas to be more accurate. Has the idea been purloined or is the shandy not an antipodean novelty after all?
Tomorrow shall be love for the loveless;
And for the lover, tomorrow shall be love.
Tomorrow shall be love for the loveless;
And for the lover, tomorrow shall be love.
post #42 of 76
Quote:

Niiiicce. Gay, but nice.

The Germans call it a "radler," I think. No gayer than drinking a light beer.
Cat: the other white meat
post #43 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splinemodel View Post

The Germans call it a "radler," I think. No gayer than drinking a light beer.

Not a big fan of light beer, with some exceptions. My girl likes Coors Light (she has some stomach issues and regular beer bothers her), and she can drink Miller Lite no problem. Miller Lite is my official Start Drinking at 9 a.m. and Don't Stop Until 10 p.m. Eagles Tailgate Beer, so I naturally buy that. It's not quite piss water and much better than Coors or Bud Light ("The Headache Beer").

When we're just knocking back a few with dinner or what not, my favorite domestic beer is Yeungling Lager. It's kind of heavy though, so drinking it to "Drink Beer" is not always a good idea. That's where the Lite comes in.

There are some light beers that are OK...namely Amstel Light. Lager Light is not terrible either, but I'd rather drink regular or just go whole hog and drink 18 cans of Miller.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
post #44 of 76
Quote:

Not a big fan of light beer, with some exceptions. My girl likes Coors Light (she has some stomach issues and regular beer bothers her), and she can drink Miller Lite no problem. Miller Lite is my official Start Drinking at 9 a.m. and Don't Stop Until 10 p.m. Eagles Tailgate Beer, so I naturally buy that. It's not quite piss water and much better than Coors or Bud Light ("The Headache Beer").

I agree that Miller Light is more flavorful than Coors Light.

But doesn't anyone notice how bad the extra flavor is?

That's why I prefer Coors Light. If I'm going to drink shitty beer, I damn well don't want to taste it.

Quote:

When we're just knocking back a few with dinner or what not, my favorite domestic beer is Yeungling Lager. It's kind of heavy though, so drinking it to "Drink Beer" is not always a good idea. That's where the Lite comes in.

"Lager" in our parts!

Good stuff, including the light. Have you gotten around to any of the other brews? Yuengling Black and Tan is interesting.
post #45 of 76
Bud Light as the "Headache Beer"? Never heard that one before, but the more I think about it...

It may very well be true.
"If I had played my career hitting singles like Pete (Rose), I'd wear a dress." - Mickey Mantle
"If I had played my career hitting singles like Pete (Rose), I'd wear a dress." - Mickey Mantle
post #46 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnJ View Post

I agree that Miller Light is more flavorful than Coors Light.

But doesn't anyone notice how bad the extra flavor is?

That's why I prefer Coors Light. If I'm going to drink shitty beer, I damn well don't want to taste it.

Coors and Bud Light at least use beer ingredients: water, barley, yeast, hops. Miller Lite is a mysterious concoction of chemicals. I'm not joking. It makes Diet Coke seem like that green shit they sell to yuppie moms at Whole Foods.

Also, FWIW, three Miller Lites have the same alcohol content and calorie content as two regular Budweisers, Becks, Stellas, Radebergers, etc. So if you're ok driking a bottle of water between rounds, you get basically the same effect drinking those beers, except you don't have to drink Miller Lite.

I couldn't even tell you what my favorite domestic is. There are a lot of good ones. The west coast seems to have a bigger presence of small and medium sized breweries than does the east. Some examples here would be Sierra Nevada, Gordon Biersch, Anchor, Lagunitas ... most of them are caught in a dead heat to see who can make the best IPA, but otherwise Anchor makes a nice brew, "Anchor Steam," that pretty much goes with anything. I would say that it's similar to Yuengling Lager except that it's done a lot better. The flavors are much more lively.
post #47 of 76
Just updated the stash.

Bought a case of Corona.

What beer is in everyone else's fridge?
post #48 of 76
Duvel.

"It is ze greatest beer in all ze verld!"

It only comes in 4-packs and costs as much as some domestic 12-packs, but it's worth every penny.
post #49 of 76
Quote:

Just updated the stash.

Bought a case of Corona.

Ugh, Corona? I can't abide by Corona. To me, it tastes like skunky beer. Add a lime, and it tastes like skunky beer with lime.

I have two leinie's oktoberfests left over from a six-pack I bought last..... wait for it...... October.
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
post #50 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guybrush Threepwood View Post

Duvel.

"It is ze greatest beer in all ze verld!"

It only comes in 4-packs and costs as much as some domestic 12-packs, but it's worth every penny.

Ooh, good stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flounder View Post

Ugh, Corona? I can't abide by Corona. To me, it tastes like skunky beer. Add a lime, and it tastes like skunky beer with lime.

I have two leinie's oktoberfests left over from a six-pack I bought last..... wait for it...... October.

Yeah, it's clear glass, so it's way more prone to skunking.

For me it's the quintessential summer beer. Makes me feel like I'm on the beach, etc. Pennsylvanians pay $30/case for it. Sheesh.
post #51 of 76
Quote:

Just updated the stash.

Bought a case of Corona.

If you like corona, you really owe it to yourself to try a shandy. 1/4 lemonade, 3/4 beer. Use something like becks for the best effect.

In my fridge now are some weird beers from central europe and some other weird local ones. This weekend, I will be populating the local watering hole (Rose & Crown Pub), watching the Euro quarterfinals. Peroni is on sale there, but it's so lousy that I'll probably be drinking Erdinger, one of my quintessential summer beers.
post #52 of 76
Quote:

If you like corona, you really owe it to yourself to try a shandy. 1/4 lemonade, 3/4 beer. Use something like becks for the best effect.

Interesting.

I have Coors Light, Molson, Sam Adams Light, Sam Adams Boston Lager, Sam Adams Summer Ale, and Corona. Think any of those would make a decent shandy? And do you recommend just lemon juice or actual lemonade?*

*Oh, wikipedia says "lemonade" means "7 up."

Quote:
(The American reader should be advised that 'lemonade' in Europe is akin to 7-Up in the US; it bears almost no resemblance to American lemonade.)
post #53 of 76
Quote:

Coors and Bud Light at least use beer ingredients: water, barley, yeast, hops. Miller Lite is a mysterious concoction of chemicals. I'm not joking. It makes Diet Coke seem like that green shit they sell to yuppie moms at Whole Foods.

Apparently that's no longer true:

Quote:
Today, the company claims their beverage contains water, corn syrup, malted barley, and hops.

Still.

Corn syrup? In a beer?
post #54 of 76
Quote:

Interesting.

I have Coors Light, Molson, Sam Adams Light, Sam Adams Boston Lager, Sam Adams Summer Ale, and Corona. Think any of those would make a decent shandy? And do you recommend just lemon juice or actual lemonade?*

Molson would probably be the best. The "lemonade" is actually a lemonade soda. Kind of like carbonated lemonade drink mix. It's a Cadbury Schweppes product that isn't sold here. Mike's Hard is the best substitute.
post #55 of 76
Quote:

Yeah, it's clear glass, so it's way more prone to skunking.

No, I mean I think it tastes skunky when it's fresh

If you want a summer beer, I suggest Oberon (although I imagine it's not generally available in PA)

http://www.bellsbeer.com/index.php/brands.html

Admittedly, it's a fair amount better from a keg than a bottle. Even in a bottle though, much like the label indicates, it's like drinking sunshine from a glass.
post #56 of 76
Quote:

Molson would probably be the best. The "lemonade" is actually a lemonade soda. Kind of like carbonated lemonade drink mix. It's a Cadbury Schweppes product that isn't sold here. Mike's Hard is the best substitute.

Just found this Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy.

Interesting.
post #57 of 76
So my friends and I were having a drunken discussion about what has more alcohol:

12 ounces of a 13.4% ABV beer or
36 ounces of a 4.2% ABV beer.

I had ordered a Weyerbacher Thirteen

(the bottle art looks like the coming of the apocalypse)

Someone had said "that's like drinking 3 miller lights."

What's the verdict?
post #58 of 76
Quote:

So my friends and I were having a drunken discussion about what has more alcohol:

12 ounces of a 13.4% ABV beer or
36 ounces of a 4.2% ABV beer.

The weyerbacher is more. Has law school disabled your ability for arithmetic?

As for the beer itself, I've never had it, and I certainly don't trust beer advocate when it comes to most craft brews. There's just too much mutual masturbation over small-run beer for the sake of it being small-run. Personally, I even have a hard time throwing down Imperial stouts in the winter (e.g. Rasputin, definitely a sipping beer). On a hot summer night I don't know if I would have the kojones to order that even if it actually lives up to the beer advocate rating. You must have an iron tongue!
post #59 of 76
Throw that shite out and get some PBR. Of course I am talking about that piss water known as Sam Adams. Nothing says wanker like Sam Adams. I'd rather drink Keystone and as for Corona....when you go to Mexico you don't drink the water. Why the hell would you drink the beer????????!!!!!!
post #60 of 76
As far as Mexican beer I will make the occasional exception for Tecate or Negra Modello, but I'd rather go Dominican and drink El Presidente. And if you ever get the chance to go to Costa Rica Imperial is some fine beer though nothing beats a pint of Guinness pulled from your local in Ireland. Joe May's in Skerries pulls a damned fine one.
post #61 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by trick fall View Post

Throw that shite out and get some PBR. ... :

Quote:

As far as Mexican beer I will make the occasional exception for Tecate or Negra Modello, ... .

Admit it, you're drunk.
post #62 of 76
Quote:

Admit it, you're drunk.

Absolutely, but I tell you I would rather drink the two year old Molson than that Sam Adams crap.l
post #63 of 76
Quote:

The weyerbacher is more. Has law school disabled your ability for arithmetic?

As for the beer itself, I've never had it, and I certainly don't trust beer advocate when it comes to most craft brews. There's just too much mutual masturbation over small-run beer for the sake of it being small-run. Personally, I even have a hard time throwing down Imperial stouts in the winter (e.g. Rasputin, definitely a sipping beer). On a hot summer night I don't know if I would have the kojones to order that even if it actually lives up to the beer advocate rating. You must have an iron tongue!

He can only think about math if it involves billable hours.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

post #64 of 76
Quote:

Absolutely, but I tell you I would rather drink the two year old Molson than that Sam Adams crap.l

What tipped me off wasn't the distaste for Sam, but rather it was the rant about Guinness. Anyway, there's no shame in an occasional piss-up. I just got a kick out of the posts.

About your choice in beer, I'd say that you don't like hops too much based on your reviews. Fortunately, there are many beers that are malt-dominant. I tend to be the opposite, which is fine too because there are many beers that are hops-dominant. Variety in beer is a wonderful thing.
post #65 of 76
Now that I'm in London the Stella is nice and cheap and accessible. Has to be fresh though.
post #66 of 76
Quote:

...*Oh, wikipedia says "lemonade" means "7 up."

That's rubbish, that Wikipedia sometimes... Lemonade is very different from 7up or Sprite or "Soursop" (google that).
post #67 of 76
Quote:

What tipped me off wasn't the distaste for Sam, but rather it was the rant about Guinness. Anyway, there's no shame in an occasional piss-up. I just got a kick out of the posts.

About your choice in beer, I'd say that you don't like hops too much based on your reviews. Fortunately, there are many beers that are malt-dominant. I tend to be the opposite, which is fine too because there are many beers that are hops-dominant. Variety in beer is a wonderful thing.

Vodka definitely brings out my more aggressive side. Interesting observation on the hops. So what would be a more a good more malt dominated brew?
post #68 of 76
OK I gave up half way through that mega post but I think it depends on the quality of the beer and its alcohol content. A good quality beer with a high alcohol content (such as the European "monk" beers) should be able to be cellared in much the same way as a wine can. After all the alcohol content of these beers can be 8-10% and the high alcohol content will retard spoiling somewhat. It will also depend on how sweet or dry the beer is. A dry beer will spoil less quickly than a sweet beer as the sugar will continue to ferment slowly. A sealed standard beer may be drinkable but if you have 2yr + old standard beers I'd suggest drinking more often.
post #69 of 76
[irish accent] Drink 'em as punishment! Ya deserve it *various grunts* [/irishaccent]

In all seriousness, try one and see if you like it/get sick.
Help us with our forum
www.themacforums.com/upb2.2.1
Help us with our forum
www.themacforums.com/upb2.2.1
post #70 of 76
Guinness - because it's good for you

3.4 GHz i7 iMac | 64GB iPhone 5 | 64GB iPad 3 | 16GB iPad mini

3.4 GHz i7 iMac | 64GB iPhone 5 | 64GB iPad 3 | 16GB iPad mini

post #71 of 76
Drink. Hell, get a little drunk and drink it. I am sure it will without doubt taste fine after a few anyway
post #72 of 76
Oh, I've taken to using the offending Molson for cooking. So for recipes that call for beer (like boiling shrimp, making homemade spanish rice, or boiling bratwursts-- yeah bratwursts boiled in beer, butter, onions, and garlic is a nice alternative to the grill), you never know the difference.

Just bought a case of the "Beers of Mexico" variety pack: Dos Equis Lager Especial, Dos Equis Amber, Sol, and Tecate.

Killed a case of Jimmy Buffet's Corona (whatever it's called... landshark?) at the PSU tailgate with the twin bro last week.
post #73 of 76

Well I'm gonna go ahead and bring back a 5 year old thread. Warsteiner Dunkel best before October 24th 2010 4.8 abv, Drinking this beer is a bad choice... I know that every sip I take I will regret it more and more the next morning but I am damn thirsty and it smells good I think. I'm trying to tell myself that anyway...sigh Why can't beer last forever. I thought God created beer and he lasts forever so I don't get it

Edited by crdkeen - 3/6/13 at 10:34pm
post #74 of 76

Oh no!

post #75 of 76
Beer has a shelf life of 120 days after that it's anyone guess.
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
post #76 of 76

Drinking Coors Light right now with the date 2 years back. Tastes like the day they bought it. "They" as in my gf and her ex. To hell with not drinking old beer. Tastes the same, fizzed when it opened, and maybe even a little more potent. ^.^

Me "Who's beer is this?"

Her -shuffle feet- "My ex boyfriends" -goes to grab beer- "I'll get rid of it"

Me -grabs beer- "he lost it in the breakup"

Free beer from ex? What beer?

Return Home
  Back to Forum: AppleOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › Is 2 Year Old Beer Drinkable?