or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Mac OS X 10.5.3 users grapple with bugs in Adobe CS3, graphics

Mac OS X 10.5.3 users grapple with bugs in Adobe CS3, graphics

post #1 of 61
Those early adopters of Apple's latest major patch for Mac OS X Leopard are finding bugs with Adobe's Creative Suite 3, as well as persisting graphics glitches for MacBook portables.

Visitors to support forums for both Adobe and Apple report an inability to properly save files from InDesign, Photoshop, and other CS3 programs to a location on a remote server when the file is open.

When users attempt a save command, the file on the server becomes unusable, even when copied and opened locally. The issue occurs regardless of the format and doesn't appear to occur for locally saved files, which can still be uploaded to the server afterwards.

The corrupted files appear to have a modified header that prevents them from being recognized properly, say some readers. However, some also report success in choosing "Save As" to register changes rather than the standard "Save" command.

Neither Adobe nor Apple has commented on the discovered glitch, although a number of users report that Adobe has often discouraged users from working directly with network files.

"There are far too many variables in the system for this way of working to be supported by Adobe," one user says.

Less fortunate, however, are MacBook and MacBook Pro owners, a number of whom note in Apple-hosted discussions that reported visual flaws in certain Mac OS X applications have carried over from version 10.5.2 of the operating system to 10.5.3.

Despite the sweeping nature of the fixes, portable users running the latest version say that redraw issues persist in key programs, particularly movie players or Apple's own iTunes app. The bugs often distort or block out entire window views as well as cause momentary blackouts in videos, all of which are visible in a video one user has submitted to AppleInsider.

Some users report solving the issue by reverting back to an earlier version of Mac OS X Leopard and installing 10.5.3 without applying the earlier Leopard Graphics Update, though its effectiveness is uncertain.

More distressing to those MacBook owners affected by the flaws, however, is Apple's seeming disaffection with the problem. While the drawing errors are serious enough to have been reported to Apple Engineering -- "as high as it goes," according to one Apple forum member -- technicians at the Mac maker are largely unaware of any widespread issues and must go through costly hardware troubleshooting before referring the problem to engineers. In at least one case, a programmer made Apple aware of the problem shortly before the 10.5.3 release without success.

"As an Apple Developer, I've been posting that 10.5.3 has NOT corrected the problem," he says. "I knew this two days ago, and I notified Apple."
post #2 of 61
It sure seems like Apple has let quality drop out of it's business plan. They seem to be following Microsoft's plan of letting customers do the flaw finding, instead of there own developers. I'm sure glad I didn't buy a new Apple computer, and I won't be buying one until they solve their quality control problems.

Acer Aspire 5315-2153, $348 Walmart Special,Mandriva Linux 2008.1 Spring Edition. The fist Linux distro where everything worked, on this laptop, the first time !
Apple iBook (2002) G3, OS-X 10.2.8, No need to upgrade... until it stops working.
Apple iBook (2002) G3, OS-X 10.2.8, No need to upgrade... until it stops working.
post #3 of 61
thank god i didnt applied
post #4 of 61
I don't think Apple's RadarWeb system works very well. I've submitted reproducible bugs with clear instructions on how to reproduce (I am a software developer of 10 years experience) and get questions back that make no sense if the person had actually read the report. It's all a bit of a joke really.
post #5 of 61
Who's got time to make their computers run properly when there's a new iPhone to get out?
post #6 of 61
C2D MB 2,4GHz with GMA X1300, no issues here, iTunes store works fine.
post #7 of 61
What tool did the developer use to capture this video? I am looking for a tool to do what they did. Anyone care to pass along any pointers?
post #8 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwoloszynski View Post

What tool did the developer use to capture this video? I am looking for a tool to do what they did. Anyone care to pass along any pointers?

SnapzPro more than likely
http://www.ambrosiasw.com/utilities/snapzprox/
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
Long on AAPL so biased
post #9 of 61
Yeah, I've noticed these issues in Safari since the update. It's very spotty though - I've found that simply quitting and restarting the app takes care of it.

I'm on a 2.33 MBP, btw.
post #10 of 61
While I'm not seeing any of these problems, I'd be suprised if it was anything other than some Carbon/QuickDraw related problem.

Adobe...Flash...iTunes. These are all Carbon apps/plugins that may still be using the deprecated QuickDraw API.
post #11 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorre View Post

Agreed.

Running 10.5.3 I cannot reproduce this issue on a Mac Pro 8 Core with ATI Radeon HD 2600 and NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT driving a 23" ACD and a 30" ACD. Running 10.5.3.

Looks like a video card or video driver issue to me.
Long on AAPL so biased
Long on AAPL so biased
post #12 of 61
I'd have to say CS3 has been buggy for me long before this patch was released.
post #13 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwr50 View Post

It sure seems like Apple has let quality drop out of it's business plan. They seem to be following Microsoft's plan of letting customers do the flaw finding, instead of there own developers. I'm sure glad I didn't buy a new Apple computer, and I won't be buying one until they solve their quality control problems.

Acer Aspire 5315-2153, $348 Walmart Special,Mandriva Linux 2008.1 Spring Edition. The fist Linux distro where everything worked, on this laptop, the first time !

IF you think that this is any different than it has EVER been you are sorely mistaken. Their quality issues are no worse than they've ever been. The issues are just better published now, and people are far whinier, that is the only difference.
post #14 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by roehlstation View Post

IF you think that this is any different than it has EVER been you are sorely mistaken. Their quality issues are no worse than they've ever been. The issues are just better published now, and people are far whinier, that is the only difference.

Well, I guess this issue has been settled.

post #15 of 61
The problem is probably with adobe for writing bloatwares. And it can also be hardware related or some third party apps playing punk.

I maybe wrong I suspect the problem is with the Intel chip.

So far the CS3 photoshop i am using has no problem.
post #16 of 61
Null.
Þ & þ are called "Thorn" & þey represent þe sound you've associated "th" wiþ since þe 13þ or 14þ century. I'm bringing it back.
<(=_=)> (>=_=)> <(=_=<) ^(=_=^) (^=_=)^ ^(=_=)^ +(=_=)+
Þ & þ are called "Thorn" & þey represent þe sound you've associated "th" wiþ since þe 13þ or 14þ century. I'm bringing it back.
post #17 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamC View Post

The problem is probably with adobe for writing bloatwares...

...I maybe wrong I suspect the problem is with the Intel chip.

Which one is it, Einstein?
post #18 of 61
I'm having periodic issues with I Photo too
Just locks me up totally
Can't force quit either.
post #19 of 61
my mouse cursor has been dropping its shadow after sleep starting sometime during 10.5.2. When i start up, i get a nice, anti-aliased mouse pointer with drop shadow, and frequently, after sleep, i get the fallback simple mouse pointer.

it doesn't affect usability, but its annoying.

2.2 C2D MBP, nVidia 8600.
post #20 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorre View Post

Likewise on my PB 2.4. Called studio and clients (8 Macs) so far. Everything fine there.
post #21 of 61
Just to jump in - I've been running 10.5.3 in dev seeds for a bit on both MacPro and two MacBook Pros. One MacBook Pro did have some weird issues in an earlier dev seed of locking up a lot, but I don't use it much so I'm going to see if the final fixes it. On my MacPro - rock solid. Perfect. Even with CS3 installed and used. Other MacBook Pro had no issues, btw.

Also, for the dev on the OP who told Apple about a bug 2 days before release - that's too late. They are already set for release about 4-5 days before release. They have to have engineering reproducing the issue at least a week or two before for it to affect anything.
post #22 of 61
Quote:

I concur. I was having the same kind of buggy performance before I updated to 10.5.3 and STILL get the CS3 errors after the update.

Wanna talk about quality control issues? Let's look at Adobe's buggy InDesign product. It's JUST AS BUGGY in CS3 as it was in CS2.
post #23 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by .mac View Post

thank god i didnt applied

I'm still using 10.4.11.

No way I'm "upgrading" until the end of the year.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #24 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akac View Post

Also, for the dev on the OP who told Apple about a bug 2 days before release - that's too late. They are already set for release about 4-5 days before release. They have to have engineering reproducing the issue at least a week or two before for it to affect anything.

For anyone who knows anything about software releases, you pretty much need to have the issue in front of the developer's eyes at least couple of weeks before release for there to be any chance of it getting fixed. Typically the bigger the project, the more amount of notice required -- especially if it's going to be put on media and boxed/shrink wrapped. For some of the large projects I've worked on, we've stopped making changes around a month before release.

post #25 of 61
Quote:

Totally agree., I've gotten the remote file save issue (hell it happens when I'm trying to save locally, too) about twice a week since i started using potatoshop back on PS5.0 on a windows 2000 box.

I admit it has gotten better since my switch to mac *about once a month(, but it's well recorded Adobe problem.
post #26 of 61
Wish Apple just drop Intel. Apple could make their own chips. (I mean they already bought a company that makes them) =)

Im sure i'll be ok
I havent noticed anything with my CS3
Apple had me at scrolling
Apple had me at scrolling
post #27 of 61
Quote:

post #28 of 61
Wow, that seems awfully stuborn. I can say the advantages of 10.5 far outway the few bugs that are always going to exist in any operating system. 10.5 has been the least buggy major release so far!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I'm still using 10.4.11.

No way I'm "upgrading" until the end of the year.
post #29 of 61
Particularly, it is a change in the header information for WebDav transfers.

http://discussions.apple.com/thread....sageID=7281395

Which is awfully annoying.
post #30 of 61
After downloading and installing the update, my Wi-Fi connection was messed up. I couldn't get a signal in a place where I used to have no problem.

Then, I tried everything, from simply disconnecting my router to absolutely resetting it.

Finally, this morning I decided to downgrade to 10.5.2... Result: Problem solved!

Thanks to Time Machine that made the magic possible. Without it, I would have had to reinstall everything from scratch.

How can an update mess up stuff that bad??! I'm not the only one having problems.
post #31 of 61
There is a long standing bug with OS X that has annoyed me for a long long time & it relates to the Dock.

When you set your desktop to change pictures every so often it gets screwed up when changing displays. It used to only happen if I enabled a second monitor, but was fine when I docked my laptop & it was just switching to a different display all together. Now with 5.3 it breaks both ways. Used to be I could restart the Dock & it fixed it, not anymore.

This is a very annoying flaw & it drives me crazy that it has been around for so long.

I'm also loosing my mouse shadow but I really don't give a hoot about that. Only effects the pointer, other mouse icons are fine.
post #32 of 61
I'm having the same problem with 10.53 and Photoshop corrupting files saved to a server. I called Adobe and they tell me 'Adobe products' are not meant to work with file on a network server and are meant to be local.. yadda yadda.

I was told 'there are too many networking variables to make this work. Yes, I can see that, but hell.. building a PC has way more hardware variables then there are for networking and a shitty company like Microsoft manages to do it pretty well.

So here i am stuck with a content management system with over 4000 items that can no longer be used without the hassle of saving images locally and copying them back to the server.

In summary, the overall phone conversation went like this:
It's not our fault, probably Apple's don't user a server, there you go!

P.S. We 'don't care'.

Blah.
post #33 of 61
What about the people even less fortunate. I'd love a graphical problem

Got an iMac G5 and 10.5.3 has pooched my disk permissions and such like and now won't boot past the spinning spindle and the apple logo

Booting from disc and using Disk Utility tells me that there are problems but "the file was modified but not repaired" My only option is to archive or erase and install

You don't have to look at the apple forums to see I'm not the only one with this problem!
post #34 of 61
I've been having graphical bugs like this since 10.5.1

however mine are more of a static garbled line across the screen. just need to resize the window to redraw and it goes away. very annoying though...

2ghz macbook pro.
post #35 of 61
I may not be running the latest and greatest software, but I can start-up and run my business each day / night without a hitch

OS X 10.4.11

Skip
post #36 of 61
Null.
post #37 of 61
I have been unable to reproduct the Adobe file corruption issue. I am testing on my NFS fileserver, opening and saving large PSD files.

Perhaps this is only hitting certain obscure combinations of hardware and software. So far 10.5.3 has been rock-solid for me.
post #38 of 61
For those whom are having issues with adobe CS 3 apps blame god adobe as the CS3 suites all came out well before leopard and the crappy updates from adobe have simply made things worse.

The development of CS 3 suites was not made on xcode 3.0 which is required for full leopard compatibility and as such it is causing issues more and more with each system update.

I too have a rock solid 10.5.3 system and without any issues to speak of.

Also some proof adobe doesn't give a screw to the mac users is the CS4 apps aren't going to be 64bit which is total bullshit and shows exactly how adobe treats the mac user base.

The lame ass way adobe puts out updates for the CS 3 suite apps is beyond a joke and so lame it is crazy as they don't even try to make thing fully compatible and keep the apps up to date with the current system we mostly all use.

Look at it this way apple makes the system we use not the crappy creative suite 3 apps that is lame ass adobe
post #39 of 61
After a couple of days light usage I haven't seen any gross problems at all. Infact it looks really good to me.

Now the version of WebKit I was running had issues but that is to be expected due to its beta nature. Mainstream Safari runs fine.

I'm still bugged by the long standing Finder directory creation problem. Frankly I expected Apple to fix this obvious mistake in programming. However this behavior has not changed from the previous install.

Now all this is on a very recent MBP. I doubt that makes a difference myself. While I don't want to discredit myself the system actually does seem "SNAPPIER", so maybe those guys building Delicious Library where on to something.

I think what people need to realize here is that even a Mac user can hose his machine through stupid behavior.

Dave
post #40 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by noriyori View Post

I've been having graphical bugs like this since 10.5.1

however mine are more of a static garbled line across the screen. just need to resize the window to redraw and it goes away. very annoying though...

2ghz macbook pro.

That sounds like an overheating issue to me. I have a Mac pro with an ATI 1900 video chip and it gets stuff like that. I'd suggest using a third party control like Fan Control to up the fan speed a little bit, and lower the temperature thresholds. On the up side, your notebook should run a little cooler for you to handle. I had an MBP and had to run with a slight fan speed boost using FanControl or otherwise it just runs way too hot to use, IMO.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Mac OS X 10.5.3 users grapple with bugs in Adobe CS3, graphics