or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple's free 8GB iPod touch Back-to-School Promo now official

Apple's free 8GB iPod touch Back-to-School Promo now official

post #1 of 55
Apple on Tuesday officially kicked off its largest back-to-school promo in the company's history, offering a free 8GB iPod touch to students and educational staffers who purchase a qualifying Mac.

More specifically, the promotion offers a $299 rebate that cancels out the price of an 8GB iPod touch, though the rebate can also be applied towards the purchase of the 16GB ($399) or 32GB ($499) model. Alternatively, participants can elect to receive a free 8GB iPod nano for the reduced rebate value of $199.

In order to qualify for the offer, the iPod and Mac system must be purchased at the same time and appear on the same receipt. Apple lists qualifying Mac systems as the MacBook, MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, iMac, and Mac Pro. The Mac mini, previous-generation 17” iMac, Apple TV, iPhone, iPod shuffle, iPod classic, 4GB iPod nano, and refurbished products are not eligible.

The products must be purchased from the Apple Online Store for Education Individuals, an Apple Retail Store, Apple Telesales, or an Apple Authorized Campus Store located in the 50 United States or the District of Columbia.

Faculty and staff of higher education institutions and students attending or accepted into a higher education institution are eligible. Any employee of a public or private K–12 institution or Qualified Homeschoolers in the United States or District of Columbia are also eligible.

Additionally, school board members who are currently serving as elected or appointed members are eligible, as are PTA or PTO executives currently serving as elected or appointed officers.

A full rundown of the Terms and Conditions [pdf] are available on Apple's website. The promotion, which was first revealed by AppleInsider last week, will run June 3 - September 15, or "while supplies last."
post #2 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Alternatively, participants can elect to receive a free 8GB iPod nano for the reduced rebate value of $199.

This $199 part doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Personally I think the parents of college bound students would simply prefer a discount on the purchase of a MacBook instead of a free Touch since the majority of students already have some sort of iPod.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #3 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

This $199 part doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Personally I think the parents of college bound students would simply prefer a discount on the purchase of a MacBook instead of a free Touch since the majority of students already have some sort of iPod.

It's been a highly successful promo many years running, so I think it makes sense. Why would apple give another $200 or $300 off a macbook? That would seriously screw with their margins. Giving away a nano isn't actually costing Apple $200, and the iPod Touch probably isn't costing them $200 either.

That's even before you consider that not everyone sends in their rebate form.

And that's before you consider that it helps extend the iPod's market and mindshare, and (in the case of the touch) extend the reach of their new mobile OS. When I bought my MBP last summer, I gave the nano to my mom. She quite enjoys it.

You're asking Apple to make a very poor financial and business decision.
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
post #4 of 55
Including school board members is wise, as they're the decision makers who might be able to bring Macs back into the schools (or keep them there). Apple should do much more targeted discounting of their products to board members, along with "trial deployments" of labs full of Macs. Get that foot in the door.
post #5 of 55
Only the US? WHAT? Im so dissapointed.

What are the chances of this offer being extended to the UK?
post #6 of 55
Quote:

Here's why: Four years ago when I took my oldest daughter to college, I called ahead to see if Macs would work on their network. The college IT department didn't know, because it hadn't been tried. Two years ago, daughter #2 went to the same college and I was seeing a fair number of MacBooks, and Macs in the labs. This year, my son is going to the same college, and he says that ALL of his friends (many from die-hard Windows families) are buying MacBooks.

They're not flocking to Mac because of processor speed or price. Dangle a free iPod in front of a high school student, and they'll follow you anywhere (didn't mean that in a creepy sense).
post #7 of 55
No MBAir?

PS: Just checked the Apple website -- MBA is included too.
post #8 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximilian88 View Post

Yeah I was hoping (still am) for it to be in the UK
post #9 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flounder View Post

When I bought my MBP last summer, I gave the nano to my mom. She quite enjoys it.

I'm sure your mother is quite proud of you for buying your own MacBook and not burdening her with the expense.

post #10 of 55
Quote:

I'm sure your mother is quite proud of you for buying your own MacBook and not burdening her with the expense.

Ummm, OK. not sure what that's all about. I'm 30 years old and I have a real job, so I would certainly hope I'm buying my own MBP.

The point was that even though I didn't personally need the iPod, someone else in my immediate family did, and that helps Apple.
post #11 of 55
If the rebate had included the iPhone, I would have been all over it--budget be damned. I dunno, though. A touch would be cool, but I already have an iPod and I don't think I am going to carry around a phone and a touch all the time...
Oh well!
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
--e.e.c.
post #12 of 55
Quote:

Ummm, OK. not sure what that's all about. I'm 30 years old and I have a real job, so I would certainly hope I'm buying my own MBP.

The point was that even though I didn't personally need the iPod, someone else in my immediate family did, and that helps Apple.

Oh, my mistake, I thought we were on the subject of back to school promos.

post #13 of 55
Quote:

Actually, it doesn't help Apple all that much in the short term. Unless your mother buys tons of songs from iTunes. Or would have bought a Zune. Or buys several accessories...

But it can help a great deal in the long term if she loves the iPod and is involved in future computer buying decisions (directly or indirectly) and lets that warm halo influence her.
--e.e.c.
--e.e.c.
post #14 of 55
I don't really understand why they excluded the iPod Classic... Well I have a few theories.

Theory 1) That's the one I wanted and Apple already knows I'm going to buy the MBP regardless of whether or not I get a freebie.

Theory 2) They don't plan to update that level of iPod anytime soon, but do plan to update the other two levels, so they're clearing out inventory.

Theory 3) People will just buy the iPod Touch and be forced to sell it for less than retail value thus pushing more of them into the market.

I am going along with the sale idea.
post #15 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

Actually, it doesn't help Apple all that much in the short term. Unless your mother buys tons of songs from iTunes. Or would have bought a Zune. Or buys several accessories...

But it can help a great deal in the long term if she loves the iPod and is involved in future computer buying decisions (directly or indirectly) and lets that warm halo influence her.

This year in the case of the touch, it will also expand that user base, meaning more apps and more web pages designed for touch/iPhone. How could having one more iPod being used by a customer NOT help apple?
post #16 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by aminorsixth View Post

I don't really understand why they excluded the iPod Classic... Well I have a few theories.

Theory 1) That's the one I wanted and Apple already knows I'm going to buy the MBP regardless of whether or not I get a freebie.

Theory 2) They don't plan to update that level of iPod anytime soon, but do plan to update the other two levels, so they're clearing out inventory.

Theory 3) People will just buy the iPod Touch and be forced to sell it for less than retail value thus pushing more of them into the market.

I am going along with the sale idea.

I think the classic is pretty much done after this year...so we hear...

K
EIC- AppleInsider.com
Questions and comments to : kasper@appleinsider.com
EIC- AppleInsider.com
Questions and comments to : kasper@appleinsider.com
post #17 of 55
Quote:

Yes, she has bought songs from iTunes.

She's already a mac person, so it does not affect her computer purchases. She does, however, have a couple friends who bought iPods after seeing hers. The halo around her influences others.
post #18 of 55
Quote:

Oh, my mistake, I thought we were on the subject of back to school promos.

Umm, we are. It was an edu purchase. I am also a part-time law school student.

I have no idea what the reasons for the unnecessary snark are.
post #19 of 55
Quote:

Umm, we are. It was an edu purchase. I am also a part-time law school student.

I have no idea what the reasons for the unnecessary snark are.

Again my mistake, it never occurred to me. As a parent paying for all of the college expenses. I just would prefer a discount. I hate rebates. What is so wrong about something just being on sale?

post #20 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasper View Post

K

Oh I hope they maintain a simple level iPod with loads of space. I really don't want to sacrifice the GBs.
post #21 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximilian88 View Post

The UK version tends to appear a little later in the summer. (Though someone may wish to correct me if I'm wrong.)
post #22 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The products must be purchased from the Apple Online Store for Education Individuals, an Apple Retail Store, Apple Telesales, or an Apple Authorized Campus Store located in the 50 United States or the District of Columbia.

Promo also available in Canada
post #23 of 55
Quote:

Again my mistake, it never occurred to me. As a parent paying for all of the college expenses. I just would prefer a discount. I hate rebates. What is so wrong about something just being on sale?

well in 2005 i bought my powerbook with my education discount and received an iPod mini and i already had a 20gb ipod so i told my parents that i would sell the mini and give them the cash, i sold it for like $200 and gave it to them essentially getting another $200 off my computer. So this year hopefully the new machines launch during the promo and in that case ill buy the new MBP equivalent and get the Touch and sell it for $300 since im buying the new iPhone next week. Also a good explanation for why they are offering a nano is prob because you have to front the cash at the time of the purchase so it would make it cheaper for you to front since you are dropping some mad coin at the time of the purchase.
post #24 of 55
Quote:

K

I don't know. That would end all large capacity iPods. I would think, one more year.
post #25 of 55
Quote:

K

Boy, I hope not... unless they intro a Touch w/an 80GB drive... that'd work.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #26 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I don't know. That would end all large capacity iPods. I would think, one more year.

There is the obvious factor of demand. If they are still popular Apple will still sell them, especially if the costs of production keep going down. I think that we'll have 128GB iPod Touches before they remove the last iPod Classic.

Though I think they may reduce the line to one large capacity iPod Classic that has at least 50% more capacity than the most expensive iPod Touch before they do that. But with the App Store coming soon The demand for the Classic could tumble faster than expected.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #27 of 55
Quote:

Source?

3.4 GHz i7 iMac | 64GB iPhone 5 | 64GB iPad 3 | 16GB iPad mini

3.4 GHz i7 iMac | 64GB iPhone 5 | 64GB iPad 3 | 16GB iPad mini

post #28 of 55
That is my take on this, what on the surface looks like a very good deal.

First; the deal appears to be really good but I suspect that Apple was able to ride the fall in flash prices for a long time now and frankly has available to them hardware that cost far less to produce than when the Touches where introduced. Thus the appearance of a excellent bargain.

Second; on could infer from this that new Touch models will come some time after September 15th. Also; considering the size of the bargain above it is fair to say that the line up will be vastly improved. Maybe we will see 64 and 128 GB models come on line in the fall.

It just makes me wonder what Apple might have up its sleeve. This package deal is just too good not to be an indication of interesting changes in the wind.

Dave
post #29 of 55
Hmm... I wonder if the Classic could evolve into a more powerful Touch. larger touchscreen, Atom CPU and 1.8" HDD running Mobile OS X. By evolve I mean this new device would replace the Classic as the large capacity, HDD-based iPod.
post #30 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by bclapper View Post

Source?

Kasper is THE source.
post #31 of 55
I may be travelling over to the US in Sept.

Can someone explain how this works? I mean I could use the details of the apartment I'll be staying in but do they just apply the rebate to my credit card?

Or am I not eligible at all? (From UK)...FYI I have the international student card/my own University student card.

Thanks for any info.

M
The mistress of all evil destroys all that is good and pure...with the help of the trusty iMac.
The mistress of all evil destroys all that is good and pure...with the help of the trusty iMac.
post #32 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Hmm... I wonder if the Classic could evolve into a more powerful Touch. larger touchscreen, Atom CPU and 1.8" HDD running Mobile OS X. By evolve I mean this new device would replace the Classic as the large capacity, HDD-based iPod.

I believe that the thinking is that they want to eliminate the HDD from the mobile units.

I don't know how fast they can do it--when SSDs will be cost effective for classic like storage. I have no doubt that in a few years, SSDs will have increased in capacity and decreased in cost to the point that this works, but I find it hard to believe that the Classic will be gone in less than a year...
--e.e.c.
--e.e.c.
post #33 of 55
Quote:

I just would prefer a discount. I hate rebates. What is so wrong about something just being on sale?

I am with you. I hate rebates as well.
I remember hearing that either NY or NJ was considering legislation that would mandate that the retailer do all the paperwork for the rebating (including the mailing), so the buyer doesn't have to jump through idiotic hoops.

That would be cool if it works...
--e.e.c.
--e.e.c.
post #34 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

There is the obvious factor of demand. If they are still popular Apple will still sell them, especially if the costs of production keep going down. I think that we'll have 128GB iPod Touches before they remove the last iPod Classic.

Though I think they may reduce the line to one large capacity iPod Classic that has at least 50% more capacity than the most expensive iPod Touch before they do that. But with the App Store coming soon The demand for the Classic could tumble faster than expected.

Kasper is saying that they've heard something. It wasn't a statement of logic n his part, such as, "I think they'll discontinue it because of falling sales".

The people who buy the Classic want large storage. That's the only reason for it's being.

I'm not sure that 32 Gb will be enough for them. Perhaps 64 GB a year or so from now might be. But, then, a Classic could hold over 350 GB.
post #35 of 55
Quote:

I believe that the thinking is that they want to eliminate the HDD from the mobile units.

I don't know how fast they can do it--when SSDs will be cost effective for classic like storage. I have no doubt that in a few years, SSDs will have increased in capacity and decreased in cost to the point that this works, but I find it hard to believe that the Classic will be gone in less than a year...

Classics don't use SSD's. They just use Flash modules soldered to the mobo.

SSD's are different in that they use the HDD interfaces, either PATA, r SATA. That's one reason why they are more expensive, and larger. A 32 GB SSD still costs about $600, and a 64 GB model costs about $1,050.
post #36 of 55
Quote:

I am with you. I hate rebates as well.
I remember hearing that either NY or NJ was considering legislation that would mandate that the retailer do all the paperwork for the rebating (including the mailing), so the buyer doesn't have to jump through idiotic hoops.

That would be cool if it works...

That would eliminate the entire concept of what the rebate is all about, which is that most people never send them in, and the rest don't bother to fight if it isn't granted.

If the retailer has to do it so that all rebates are granted, then rebates won't be offered, and the old method of offering much less as a sale will simply return.

The only reason why rebates can be so large is because most people don't receive them.
post #37 of 55
Quote:

That would eliminate the entire concept of what the rebate is all about, which is that most people never send them in, and the rest don't bother to fight if it isn't granted.

If the retailer has to do it so that all rebates are granted, then rebates won't be offered, and the old method of offering much less as a sale will simply return.

The only reason why rebates can be so large is because most people don't receive them.

Of course. Rebates are based in deception and that is why I don't like them.
--e.e.c.
--e.e.c.
post #38 of 55
Quote:

Classics don't use SSD's. They just use Flash modules soldered to the mobo.

SSD's are different in that they use the HDD interfaces, either PATA, r SATA. That's one reason why they are more expensive, and larger. A 32 GB SSD still costs about $600, and a 64 GB model costs about $1,050.

Oh, then I am way off. I thought the iPod Classic still used HDDs.
When the poster I responded to postulated a new replacement for the Classic that included an HDD, I gave my response with my own prediction. But if Apple already eliminated the HDD from the entire iPod line...
--e.e.c.
--e.e.c.
post #39 of 55
Quote:

Oh, then I am way off. I thought the iPod Classic still used HDDs.
When the poster I responded to postulated a new replacement for the Classic that included an HDD, I gave my response with my own prediction. But if Apple already eliminated the HDD from the entire iPod line...

It does use 1.8" HDD's. It doesn't use SSD's.

I was thinking about the Nanos and iTouch, which do use Flash. Sorry if there was confusion.
post #40 of 55
If they come out with new macbooks in the 3rd quarter do you think the student free ipod offer will still work??
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple's free 8GB iPod touch Back-to-School Promo now official