or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Ballmer: you can buy Vista and downgrade to XP for free
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ballmer: you can buy Vista and downgrade to XP for free - Page 3

post #81 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by timothyjay2004 View Post


I for one would love to see Mac OS become the new world standard, but at the same time, competition is good and important for business and I'd also hate to see MS fail and go away. This is a sad announcement for MS... instead of promoting their newest OS, they're promoting their almost a decade old OS, XP...

I don't understand why some Mac users want MS to fail either. As you said, competition is good for business. But I DON'T want Mac OS to become the new world standard either. Right now, MS is the target for all the hackers and other malicious a__holes. Having Mac OS become the world standard would NOT bring anything to the table for users except a lot of malware.
ADS
Reply
ADS
Reply
post #82 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by hezekiahb View Post

Obama clenched the nomination today.

Why do I picture Obama on the crapper?

I like to think of him having clinched the nomination.

If he makes it right through to the White House a lot of Americans are going to be left in the quandary of whether to reach for their guns, or their spill chuckers.
post #83 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by gastroboy View Post

If he makes it right through to the White House a lot of Americans are going to be left in the quandary of whether to reach for their guns, or their spill chuckers.

Don't forget the other option Barack Obama himself mentioned: religion!

Many Americans don't realize the harm the Bush/Cheney Administration has done to our nation. I can only hope that the damage is reversible, even if it is going to take a long time. I've been able to do some international traveling before and after W took office. You can't believe the difference in the treatment I got from the natives. B.W. (before W), America was beloved -- people admired and respected us. A.W., America was seen as a stupid, unstable, imperial bully. Which man is more likely to put America back on the right track, and which one is more likely to continue the current path of American decline?
post #84 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by macFanDave View Post

Don't forget the other option Barack Obama himself mentioned: religion!

Many Americans don't realize the harm the Bush/Cheney Administration has done to our nation. I can only hope that the damage is reversible, even if it is going to take a long time. I've been able to do some international traveling before and after W took office. You can't believe the difference in the treatment I got from the natives. B.W. (before W), America was beloved -- people admired and respected us. A.W., America was seen as a stupid, unstable, imperial bully. Which man is more likely to put America back on the right track, and which one is more likely to continue the current path of American decline?

Spot on. Glad to hear a Texan say it.

Some here seem to think Obama is a suspiciously smooth talker, I see that as more the expression of a clear thinker. One of his great strengths is his mixed parentage and the formative years he spent living outside the USA. Not because that somehow makes him superior, just that it has opened him up to a world that is not black and white, not made up of good guys and bad guys determined by where a line has been drawn on a map.

Bush is so insular, he projects the image that anywhere outside Texas is foreign. Single handed he has offended nearly everyone and turned willing allies into unwilling adversaries.

Sadly he seems to have had America's pulse when he did it. Now the consequences are difficult to dismiss, his hold is fading, but not gone yet.
post #85 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

Good thing too... considering that America is not a Democracy but a Republic!

Interesting... To my understanding, "Republic" and "Democracy" are not mutually exclusive terms.

The dictionary definition of a "Republic" is a nation whose head of state is not a monarch or other heridatary ruler. That is the only requirement to define a country as a "Republic". Some would argue that a Republic is further distinguished by the presence of a constitution which is treated as the supreme law of the land, having power even over the executive branch (head of state).

However, constitutions which are binding over the executive branch are not unique to Republics. Consittutional monarchies are quite common among most parts of the former British Empire.

The mechanism of selection for the government (which is bound to rule in accordance to the constitution), is not well defined by use of the term "Republic" alone. For example, the Soviet Union was also a Republic. But its government was formed under a one-party system with a dictatorship administration.

With that context, the USA is a constitutional Republic with a Democratically elected government.

The particular form of government in use is an indirect (because the people do not vote directly on issues, but rather vote for representatives to act as a proxy in government) liberal (because certain basic individual liberties are protected from government interference by a constitution) Democracy, with a Republican (ie. not a monarch) head of state.
post #86 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by macFanDave View Post

Don't forget the other option Barack Obama himself mentioned: religion!

Many Americans don't realize the harm the Bush/Cheney Administration has done to our nation. I can only hope that the damage is reversible, even if it is going to take a long time. I've been able to do some international traveling before and after W took office. You can't believe the difference in the treatment I got from the natives. B.W. (before W), America was beloved -- people admired and respected us. A.W., America was seen as a stupid, unstable, imperial bully. Which man is more likely to put America back on the right track, and which one is more likely to continue the current path of American decline?

People did hate the US before, just not as much. The US recovered from McCarthyism and the Civil War. It'll take some time, but it'll happen.
post #87 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

People did hate the US before, just not as much. The US recovered from McCarthyism and the Civil War. It'll take some time, but it'll happen.

Unbeknownst to many Americans, even under Clinton who was well liked and admired, there were notable acts of callous slights against America's allies that infuriated and alienated many people. But we all have an understanding of what makes up the American psyche and don't expect much better, so eventually all is forgiven.

Canada is doing it all the time, I guess the rest of us can manage.

America is that self obsessed friend who is constantly claiming credit for everything, telling everyone how wonderful they are and oblivious to hurt feelings all around because it is all about me, me, me.

But you've been hanging around together for ages and that's just the way they are.
post #88 of 95
The downgrade option is rather hilarious, can't belive how something they worked on for so long can turn out to be such an abdomination
post #89 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

Unless Apple changes their strategy, yes they will continue to limp on.

Agreed. But I hope that once they are ready, they will turn to a lot more agressive marketing strategy. Lower their prices (that hardware is genrally very un-exeptional and overpriced, it is the amazing software and perhaps the harware outer design that makes them worth the price tag) and put real video cards in all of their macs.

Their mac mini could be a real killer if only it had a decent video card and was a litte bit less expensive.

Of course this would perhaps blow the status of the more elegant and luxurious alternative, but I would love to see a world where everyone can use computers that dont malfunctions for unknown reasons every week =)

Also I see some great potential in Apple TV. Put a DVR and a BD optical drive in the next generation and would be the ultimate upgrade for the DVD-player.
post #90 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by gastroboy View Post

I guess those are the choices people make. PC & Windows users get continuity and longevity out of both their hardware and software.

We get a sense of superiority.

But then Windows users don't get the ability to browse the Internet, get and send email, word process, do spreadsheets or DTP, use databases etc.

That's just the price they pay for making a bad choice.

The whole windows experience is just crap, the only pro is that it is cheap and has extensive compability with older crap =P
post #91 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

customers unhappy with Vista take a step in the opposite direction 'for free.'

Something I NEVER see addressed; If I own Vista, I am unhappy with it and I want to down grade to XP; where do I get my "FREE" XP media and license key?

They say I can go down to XP but how can that be done legally? Will Microsoft mail me a free copy of XP home if I call them? Somehow I doubt it.
post #92 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuth View Post

Something I NEVER see addressed; If I own Vista, I am unhappy with it and I want to down grade to XP; where do I get my "FREE" XP media and license key?

They say I can go down to XP but how can that be done legally? Will Microsoft mail me a free copy of XP home if I call them? Somehow I doubt it.

I don't know, but prhas newer version of the install disk will contain the few hundred megs for the install. They used to include older versions of Windows on the NT4.0 disc.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #93 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuth View Post

Something I NEVER see addressed; If I own Vista, I am unhappy with it and I want to down grade to XP; where do I get my "FREE" XP media and license key?

You have to supply your own media, from whatever source you can scrounge up. (It can be any legitamite copy of XP, even if its license key has previously been used to activate XP on a different PC).

If you are re-installing a copy of XP that has been previously activated, then of course it will not activate automatically this second time around - in that case, you have to call a 1-800 number, where a CSR will verify that you actually do have a copy of Vista which includes downgrade rights. After that's taken care of, the CSR will guide you over the telephone through a manual product activation process.
Quote:
They say I can go down to XP but how can that be done legally?

Such actions would only be illegal because Microsoft prohibited them.

Microsoft, as the owner of the software, is perfectly at liberty to offer ammended license agreements or additional licenses decoupled from existing media. This is exactly what it did with the downgrade rights listed in Vista Business and Vista Ultimate.
post #94 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by lfmorrison View Post

You have to supply your own media, from whatever source you can scrounge up. (It can be any legitamite copy of XP, even if its license key has previously been used to activate XP on a different PC).

Easy enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfmorrison View Post

If you are re-installing a copy of XP that has been previously activated, then of course it will not activate automatically this second time around - in that case, you have to call a 1-800 number, where a CSR will verify that you actually do have a copy of Vista which includes downgrade rights. After that's taken care of, the CSR will guide you over the telephone through a manual product activation process.

Not so sure on this part. Seems fishy that MS would tell me to install XP with a serial already in use, then I call them on the phone and they give me a diff activation code.
post #95 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuth View Post

Easy enough



Not so sure on this part. Seems fishy that MS would tell me to install XP with a serial already in use, then I call them on the phone and they give me a diff activation code.

Don't believe me? Get it straight from the horse's mouth. (See FAQ#3 in the panel on the furthest right column of the page.)
http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...rencesheet.pdf
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Ballmer: you can buy Vista and downgrade to XP for free