or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Photos of 2.8- and 3.2-inch iPhone-like touch panels surface

Photos of 2.8- and 3.2-inch iPhone-like touch panels surface

post #1 of 51
Images depicting a pair of touch-screens reminiscent but slightly smaller than those employed by Apple's existing iPhone and iPod touch have surfaced on the web, fueling speculation over whether the electronics maker has plans to introduce a smaller version of its phone or multi-touch iPods in the near future.

The photos, provided to iLounge, are of naked touch-screen components from Host Optical, a Taiwanese company that claims it's supplying the parts to Apple for the next-generation iPhone. It calls the parts "projected capacitance touch panels," and claims they contain technology that make them superior to those from Germany-based Balda used in the first-generation iPhone.

More specifically, Host claims the screens lack an aging effect, meaning they'll last longer and won't fade in sensitivity over the years. They're also said to be more robust and resistant to water and climates with high humidifies. However, even iLounge doubts the company's claims that the parts are destine for Apple's highly anticipated 3G iPhone, due to arrive next week.

"To be clear, we believe that there is zero chance that a 2.8” screen is going to be in Apple’s first 3G version of the iPhone, but as a component for an iPhone mini/nano, as well as a fourth-generation iPod nano, it makes a lot more sense," wrote Jeremy Horwitz. "Notably, Host’s displays place two and only two sensors off to the right of the ear speaker, a detail that doesn’t track with what we’ve heard about the 3G model."

Indeed, the vast majority of reports circulating on the Internet over the past few months have portrayed a next-generation iPhone with relatively the same exact footprint as the current version, the only disparity being some added tapering around the edges and opposing views over whether the model would be thicker or thinner.

Intriguing, however, is that on April 29th the Chinese-language Taiwan Economic News cited sources in saying that Apple's second-generation iPhone would be both lighter and more compact than the existing version. In its report, the newspaper specifically mentioned that the "LCD screen on the phone measures 2.8 inches diagonally, a downsize from first generation`s 3.5 inches."

View more photos and diagrams of the panels at iLounge

The growing consensus amongst people analyzing the flurry of next-generation iPhone reports is that Apple may possibly introduce two new models: a 3G model relatively the same size as the current iPhone at existing prices and a shrunken 2.5G model for considerably less.
post #2 of 51
meet the iPhone and the iPhone nano...
post #3 of 51
I don't think so.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Get the lowdown on the coming collapse:  http://www.cbo.gov/publication/45010

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #4 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I don't think so.
<image>

Who the hell is that?
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #5 of 51
iPhone monkeybucket here we come?
I don't see how an anti M$ stance can be seen as a bad thing on an Apple forum I really can't!

nagromme - According to Amazon: "SpongBob Typing Tutor" is outselling Windows
I don't see how an anti M$ stance can be seen as a bad thing on an Apple forum I really can't!

nagromme - According to Amazon: "SpongBob Typing Tutor" is outselling Windows
post #6 of 51
Assuming 2 new 3G Iphones coming out next week, what would happen to the apple stock?
Would it plummet on high expectations and selling it on the news type of patterns or would apple go higher as analyst might raise the stock price based on the new products? I have sold half my stocks today either direction it's headed.

Can someone start a poll?
post #7 of 51
They are the same size as the touch screen panels from the already released Samsung F480 and F490.

Check them out as to what you can fit into a phone smaller than the iphone!
post #8 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by sikras View Post

Assuming 2 new 3G Iphones coming out next week, what would happen to the apple stock?
Would it plummet on high expectations and selling it on the news type of patterns or would apple go higher as analyst might raise the stock price based on the new products? I have sold half my stocks today either direction it's headed.

Well, more normally means good things for Apple.

More options more buyers more $$$
More choices might mean, buying one, they wanting the other more sells more $$$$
More options more folks buy both more $$$$$
More buyers more press more hype more $$$$$$

Let's just say, if it happens it's all good, why, well because it means more money (for my stock as well )
post #9 of 51
Quote:

I'm pretty sure it will go down 5 to 10 points, as it usually does but then in a month or few, it will go up about 20 or 30 points. If past market history proves to be right.
post #10 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post

iPhone monkeybucket here we come?

Good memory!
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #11 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feynman View Post

I'm pretty sure it will go down 5 to 10 points, as it usually does but then in a month or few, it will go up about 20 or 30 points. If past market history proves to be right.

Which is why I sold everything yesterday, Though it would have been better to sell on Monday or Today as I'm out a few points from selling when I did.
post #12 of 51
post #13 of 51
(edited out)
post #14 of 51
Quote:

Quote:

I don't think so.

I agree. These are just someone's way of drawing attention to themselves. Or they can consider themselves NO longer an Apple vendor

Skip
post #15 of 51
They aren't going to come out with 2 3G phones. One will be 3G, the other will be the Edge (aka 2.5) version.

Quote:

post #16 of 51
Quote:

Uh, that poll already exists. It's called the NASDAQ, and by definition the current price reflects the aggregated opinion of millions of people with real money on the line! :-)
No Matte == No Sale :-(
No Matte == No Sale :-(
post #17 of 51
Quote:

Don't know how to start a poll, but I can tell you selling half of my stock is not what comes to mind at this point in AAPL history. How about doubling or trippling your investment.

future AAPL price = (market cap MSFT + market cap Nokia +market cap DELL)/outstanding AAPL shares = (262.00 billion + 101.33 billion + 49.97 billion)/881.62 million = 468.79

A little optimistic, but hey...
post #18 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Who the hell is that?

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #19 of 51
Quote:

Seriously, I have no clue.
post #20 of 51
Quote:

Neither do I. But he sure looks stoopid, don't he?

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #21 of 51
Quote:

Yes he does.
post #22 of 51

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #23 of 51
Quote:

Rumors are shifting into sixth gear!

The Wallstreet Journal has a silly take on that information, dont you think?
post #24 of 51
Quote:

post #25 of 51
Quote:

Rumors are shifting into sixth gear!

W.S.J. = Walt S**** Jobs?

OR

Walt Shits JRumors
post #26 of 51
When has Apple EVER moved toward smaller screen sizes in one of their products?
post #27 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by sausage&Onion View Post

The Wallstreet Journal has a silly take on that information, dont you think?

Funny thing is, the Wallstreet Journal actually have the new iPhone, or at least Walt Mossberg does
post #28 of 51
Quote:

Looks like a young Mark Cuban, owner, Dallas Mavericks Basketball team...

But your guess is as good as mine!

http://www.starpulse.com/Notables/Cu...ry/SGG-048407/

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

post #29 of 51
Apple will launch a new 2.8" iPhone, a new 3.2" iPhone and possibly announce a 4" and a 7" mini-tablet devices, all running Mac OS X.

It is the start of a new computing paradigm, as important as the graphical user interface and mouse in the original PC - a Mac! - was.

But important as it may be - and it is! - this is NOT the most relevant news. The most relevant news have been heard by everybody already but, somehow, it hasn't sink in to fully understanding its reach.

Apple is expanding internationally big time using the iPhone as a Trojan horse and viral marketing tool. Given the cultural and economic differences, the developing countries are the ones that'll show more interest for these handheld computers and will buy them in droves. Apple products will be talked about and bought all over the world. I say Apple products and not just iPhones because it is widely known that it doesn't take long for people to buy Macs and dive into the Apple ecosystem once they get their hands onto an iPhone.

So, in sum:
- Apple is launching a whole new handheld computing platform that will change the world as we know it;
- Apple is expanding internationally, making for quantum leaps in growth from iPhone and Macs sales.

This translates that, in one year's time, Apple will have doubled its size in revenue/profit and, likewise, AAPL will have doubled to ~400 or higher since stock prices translate forward looking potentiality and people will then have no doubt it is growth growth growth to never before seen heights.

Now don't you think this is the right time to go get some fresh AAPLs?!
post #30 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubert View Post

iPod mini goldfish

A second line within the product family (I hate using the word family when it comes to products)
post #31 of 51
Quote:

Funny thing is, the Wallstreet Journal actually have the new iPhone, or at least Walt Mossberg does

I don't think he does.
post #32 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by XamaX View Post

Apple will launch a new 2.8" iPhone, a new 3.2" iPhone and possibly announce a 4" and a 7" mini-tablet devices, all running Mac OS X.

Holy crap take it easy. They are not going to do that. That would be confusing.

At the very most they'll release the 3G iPhone, release a smaller nano iPhone, and release a 10" tablet. But all that at once would be too good to be true.

First of all this 4" tablet is crazy talk. The iPhone is bloody 3.5"? Crazy talk. And if you're going to go 7", why not go three more and make the thing waaay more useful. We'll see what happens but my gut says the thing will be 10" and won't be out a WWDC. If I'm way off I'll be way off on the date not the screen size. Those other sizes don't make enough sense. We need clear differentiation between products, and besides a 7" won't go in your pocket in the first place, and 4" is practically an iPhone. Weigh it all up, 10", 11" = kick ass.
post #33 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I don't think he does.

He had the first one two weeks prior to launch. Why wouldn't he have this one? The new iPhone is only the most important mobile device to hit the market.
post #34 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by XamaX View Post

So, in sum:
- Apple is launching a whole new handheld computing platform that will change the world as we know it;
- Apple is expanding internationally, making for quantum leaps in growth from iPhone and Macs sales.

This translates that, in one year's time, Apple will have doubled its size in revenue/profit and, likewise, AAPL will have doubled to ~400 or higher since stock prices translate forward looking potentiality and people will then have no doubt it is growth growth growth to never before seen heights.

Now don't you think this is the right time to go get some fresh AAPLs?!

Sadly it doesn't work like that, and Apple's will need to start opening more stores and pronto if it want's to sell Macs over here.
post #35 of 51
Anybody have any idea if the SDK is resolution-independent? That should give us a pretty good idea if these screens are likely. If it is the same ones used in the Samsung F480/F490, they are 240x320 and 140x416 respectively. HTC has a 640x480 2.8" screen for their "Touch Pro". (Sacrelig though it may be... the touch pro looks a lot like what i might be replacing my iPhone with...)

If good resolution independence is built into the SDK though, we might actually see a bigger or smaller device. Will be interesting...
post #36 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaarrrgggh View Post

Anybody have any idea if the SDK is resolution-independent? That should give us a pretty good idea if these screens are likely. If it is the same ones used in the Samsung F480/F490, they are 240x320 and 140x416 respectively. HTC has a 640x480 2.8" screen for their "Touch Pro". (Sacrelig though it may be... the touch pro looks a lot like what i might be replacing my iPhone with...)

If good resolution independence is built into the SDK though, we might actually see a bigger or smaller device. Will be interesting...

Was thinking that myself. With all that pinching and zooming it just might be.
post #37 of 51
Quote:

He had the first one two weeks prior to launch.

And it was demoed on stage 5 months previous. No, I'd bet nobody got it before hand this time. Like the way they usually do it with iPods. The players review them after they appear on stage.
post #38 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubert View Post

I don't know...maybe iPod mini and nano will ring bells?
Macs: MacBook, black, 2.16 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Macs: MacBook, black, 2.16 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
post #39 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMason09 View Post

I don't know...maybe iPod mini and nano will ring bells?

What it did though was add a new product line. The main ipod's screen has only increased in size.
post #40 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Damn fine idea. I'll just go and patent the Ronbo Handy-Dandy Finger Sharpener. Like a pencil sharpener, only better! It's THE indispensable tool for those unfortunates among you cursed with normal sized fingers, who dream of typing on your iPhone nano's on-screen keyboard. Includes an adapter for the thumbs, PLUS at no extra cost, a nice thick piece of leather for you to bite down on while the grinders do their work. Order now while supplies last!!

Bandages sold separately.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Photos of 2.8- and 3.2-inch iPhone-like touch panels surface