or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple now the world's No. 3 smartphone vendor
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple now the world's No. 3 smartphone vendor - Page 2

post #41 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

We can either define it ourselves, you can state your definition for your argument or we can use the definition enacted by others.

The problem is that there are no unbiased studies around --- they all want to be on the front pages, so they all skew their methodologies.

It's an election year in the US --- Democrats will have one set of questions for their surveys (to make themselves look good) and Republicans will have another set of questions for their survey (to make themselves look good).
post #42 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by samab View Post

Just look at the iphone launch in Europe --- did the numbers spike up a lot in Europe? No.

The presence or absence of 3G didn't affect Europe's numbers at all. People buy a phone because it's cheap, not because it's a 3G phone. 58% of Verizon Wireless' customers have a 3G phone.

http://telephonyonline.com/wireless/...revenues-0428/

The only way that the numbers are going to spike is if there is a massive handset subsidy involved.

Why are you all over the web bashing Apple, iphone, and AT&T, what have they done to you ?
post #43 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by samab View Post

The presence or absence of 3G didn't affect Europe's numbers at all.

Without comparing a timeframe when a 2G iPhone was available to a similar timeframe in which the 3G iPhone was available in a certain market we have no way of measuring the affect a 3G iPhone will have.

Unless, of course, you are from the future. In which case, could you bring me back a Sport's Almanac?
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #44 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adjei View Post

Why are you all over the web bashing Apple, iphone, and AT&T, what have they done to you ?

I am coming to believe he is head troll in charge of ZunePhone development or something...
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
Reply
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
Reply
post #45 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by aplnub View Post

Defining smart phones isn't really that hard. Of course there is a gray area but I will say it will dominate the palms and bb's.

Defining it is the hardest thing in the world.

Which is why for the last 10 years --- Nokia smartphone rules worldwide but Palm/Windows Mobile rule the stateside. The war over definition has been a 10 year war already.
post #46 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Without comparing a timeframe when a 2G iPhone was available to a similar timeframe in which the 3G iPhone was available in a certain market we have no way of measuring the affect a 3G iPhone will have.

Unless, of course, you are from the future. In which case, could you bring me back a Sport's Almanac?

If they bring a full price crippled 3G iphone with a long contract --- Europeans still won't buy it because they can get a top end Nokia 3G N-series phone for free with a contract.
post #47 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by samab View Post

Defining it is the hardest thing in the world.

Which is why for the last 10 years --- Nokia smartphone rules worldwide but Palm/Windows Mobile rule the stateside. The war over definition has been a 10 year war already.

I thought we were talking about defining what a smartphone is, not how we define the market. As this thread illustrates, US news sources often do a US and Worldwide marketshare.

Now, how do you define a smartphone? Apple will never win in a Spec Sheet war but it will dominate in quantifiable areas. How do you quantify the usability of an interface?
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #48 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by samab View Post

If they bring a full price crippled 3G iphone with a long contract --- Europeans still won't buy it because they can get a top end Nokia 3G N-series phone for free with a contract.

Define 'crippled'? No 5MP camera that is a waste when everything other part is sub-par, no xenon flash that produces washed out images, no FM radio?
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #49 of 67
Just imagine what kind of sales Apple could generate if they released the iphone for all the carriers. I personally refuse to be locked into ATT! I will just get a blackberry instead and continue to use Tmobile. Apple will not ever overtake RIMM with the ATT exclusive crap!
post #50 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Define 'crippled'? No 5MP camera that is a waste when everything other part is sub-par, no xenon flash that produces washed out images, no FM radio?

Exactly, although I'd dispute that a 5mp camera and xenon flash are unecessary. N82 can take some very nice photos indeed, way outside of iPhone's territory. Give the iPhone a decent camera, and it'll sell like hot cakes in Europe.
post #51 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

These are some of the problems I have with your arguments:

1) Nobody is an absolute. That implies that not even one person does us it as a smartphone, which can't be true.

2) You then state it depends on how you define it. The problem is that the dichotomy between the two statements in confusing. We can either define it ourselves, you can state your definition for your argument or we can use the definition enacted by others.

You sir, are a class act ... I love reading your posts solipsism, you live up to your pen name
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
post #52 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericblr View Post

Just imagine what kind of sales Apple could generate if they released the iphone for all the carriers. I personally refuse to be locked into ATT! I will just get a blackberry instead and continue to use Tmobile. Apple will not ever overtake RIMM with the ATT exclusive crap!

I have a feeling that day will come ... meanwhile consolidation of the providers in the USA looks inevitable in this economy, so that will make it interesting. OMG If Verizon buys out Alltel will the kids in the TV ad become friends?
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
post #53 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrochester View Post

Exactly, although I'd dispute that a 5mp camera and xenon flash are unecessary. N82 can take some very nice photos indeed, way outside of iPhone's territory. Give the iPhone a decent camera, and it'll sell like hot cakes in Europe.

Then the iphone will sell like hot cakes --- because it has the nice camera, not because it has 3G.
post #54 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by samab View Post

Then the iphone will sell like hot cakes --- because it has the nice camera, not because it has 3G.

If I wanted a nice camera I'd buy a nice camera
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
post #55 of 67
I'm surprised that Nokia is still so high. I hardly ever see them anymore. I just assumed they had slipped at least below RIM.
post #56 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple during the first quarter of 2008 rode the booming smartphone market to sales of more than 1.7 million iPhones, good enough to make it the No. 3 manufacturer of multi-function handsets worldwide, according to a report released Friday by market research firm Gartner.


It is interesting to see one reference to "multi-function handset" yet the rest of the article refer to "smartphone".

Does smartphone = mult-function handset?
Blog: PowerConferenceCalls.com
Reply
Blog: PowerConferenceCalls.com
Reply
post #57 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by ByronVanArsdale View Post

It is interesting to see one reference to "multi-function handset" yet the rest of the article refer to "smartphone".

Does smartphone = mult-function handset?

Multi-function is a good definition, but the more anal posters will point out that even the cheapest cellphone has multiple function outside making phone calls.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smartphone
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #58 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by ByronVanArsdale View Post

It is interesting to see one reference to "multi-function handset" yet the rest of the article refer to "smartphone".

Does smartphone = mult-function handset?

The most interesting thing is this:

Quote: " Meanwhile, the blistering North American smartphone market saw sales skyrocket by more than 106 percent to 7.3 million units."

Apple has 20% of that --- so 7.3 million smartphones x 20% = 1.46 million iphones sold in the US in the first quarter.

AT&T CFO announced 500,000 additional iphone activation after 4.75 months --- so a quarterly activation run rate of 315,000 iphones in Q1.

Therefore T-Mobile USA must have the other 1.145 million iphones in Q1.

Or the iphone has a 4.3% market share in the US.
post #59 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by samab View Post

Therefore T-Mobile USA must have the other 1.145 million iphones in Q1..

I would assume they pulled the number of US iPhones from sales data, not usage data. I recall that you have made mention that the sales numbers are not accurate because so many are going to international grey markets.

Also, the AT&T activations only refer to activations, not iPhones being used on their network. An unlocked iPhone can still still be used on AT&T's network without activation, which seems to be preferable to some who want to use their current AT&T SIM and not get stuck into a 2-year contract Although that seems pointless when the data plan cost so much more when not using the proper activation method, but I guess not everybody wants to use the data portion or ike to switch SIMs between devices.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #60 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I would assume they pulled the number of US iPhones from sales data, not usage data. I recall that you have made mention that the sales numbers are not accurate because so many are going to international grey markets.

Also, the AT&T activations only refer to activations, not iPhones being used on their network. An unlocked iPhone can still still be used on AT&T's network without activation, which seems to be preferable to some who want to use their current AT&T SIM and not get stuck into a 2-year contract Although that seems pointless when the data plan cost so much more when not using the proper activation method, but I guess not everybody wants to use the data portion or ike to switch SIMs between devices.

Especially when AT&T charges the regular $20 price for the data portion of the iphone monthly plan --- I don't see much people would opt for pay-as-you-go.
post #61 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by samab View Post

Especially when AT&T charges the regular $20 price for the data portion of the iphone monthly plan --- I don't see much people would opt for pay-as-you-go.

I am trying to figure out a formula but for figuring out how AT&T is faring with the unkimted data plan for $20, but I'm coming up blank. Since they are required for every activated iPhone under AT&T, regardless of the plan type, they are making half the normal unlimited data plan payment from even those that use little data and those who would have opted out if it was optional.

I hope it's enough to keep the data plan for the 3G iPhone the same price, though AT&T has been bellyaching about the increase in data usage with dwindling profits.

PS: I'm not sure ig you were implying that AT&T' monthly plans had a higher data plan, but I think it's still $20 a month and required. But I hear you have to call now as putting in all 9's for an SSN won't work anymore.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #62 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

AT&T has been bellyaching about the increase in data usage with swindling profit.

I don't know, I have always found swindling profit to be a good thing...
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
Reply
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
Reply
post #63 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

I don't know, I have always found swindling profit to be a good thing...

Does anyone make a proofreading app, because I apparently can't do it on my own.

Leopard does a decent job of underlining the more glaring mistakes, but I wonder if we'll ever see an evolved program that could have found the mistake I made above.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #64 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Does anyone make a proofreading app, because I apparently can't it on my own.

Leopard does a decent job of underlining the more glaring mistakes, but I wonder if we'll ever see an evolved program that could have found the mistake I made above.

It would be nice, wouldn't it. I usually don't comment on obvious typos (unless a person is asking for it) but that term was too interesting to pass up...
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
Reply
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
Reply
post #65 of 67
Good article about what the iPhone has done for the rest of the smartphone industry and how it has positively affected the consumer. Basically a lot of what many of us say on these boards.
What's good for Apple is better for everyone else
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #66 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Good article about what the iPhone has done for the rest of the smartphone industry and how it has positively affected the consumer. Basically a lot of what many of us say on these boards.
What's good for Apple is better for everyone else

Thanks - great article. it is interesting to see how people attempt to explain the jump in sales of smartphones. I don't buy the idea that someone went in looking for an iPhone and settled on a Blackberry. It is important to remember that correlation does not necessarily mean causation.

Well, after today's keynote, we give birth to a new term to celebrate our continuing independence of poorly designed smartphones: the iPhonoclast!
Blog: PowerConferenceCalls.com
Reply
Blog: PowerConferenceCalls.com
Reply
post #67 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by ByronVanArsdale View Post

I don't buy the idea that someone went in looking for an iPhone and settled on a Blackberry. It is important to remember that correlation does not necessarily mean causation.

I on't buy that scenario either. Though I does seem plausible that Apple's emergence into the smartphone business has brought them more into the regular consumer's eye and made them less of geek/business tool. But the most likely reason seems to be the lowering of prices for other smartphones since Apple's foray My brother recently bought two Palm Centros, as mentioned in the article, because they were buy one get one free at a highly reduced price.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple now the world's No. 3 smartphone vendor