or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Sling unveils concept SlingPlayer Mobile for iPhone
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sling unveils concept SlingPlayer Mobile for iPhone

post #1 of 20
Thread Starter 
One of the first of many native third-party apps to show at Apple's Worldwide Developer Conference will be an iPhone version of Sling Media's well-known remote TV viewing utility.

The company has developed a "proof of concept" version of SlingPlayer Mobile that works both with the Apple cellphone and the iPod touch to let users steer a TV connected to a Slingbox media hub at home.

Much like versions for Windows Mobile and other smartphone operating systems, the software lets users pick from a channel guide when viewing TV and offers basic controls over live TV playback. The software requires a high-speed Internet connection currently supplied only through Wi-Fi.

Unlike some developers likely to be showcasing at the event, however, Sling's software won't be the result of participation in the iPhone SDK program: the company has had to operate outside the bounds of the development kit's beta testing phase. A demonstration slated to take place will use jailbroken iPhones rather than the official installation granted to those accepted into the early phases of Apple's official development program.

Sling has been one of the most enthusiastic third parties interested in the iPhone and planned development even before the initial iPhone was on sale and Apple had discussed its official strategy for third-party applications. The firm hopes to release a finished version by the end of the year.

The Slingbox maker plans to demonstrate SlingPlayer Mobile for iPhone at the Starbucks across from San Francisco's Metreon at 10AM on June 9th -- the same time as Apple's WWDC keynote.

post #2 of 20
Anybody know what level of quality they get with this. Sounds like it is already out for other smartphones...but is it watchable?
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
Reply
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
Reply
post #3 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The Slingbox maker plans to demonstrate SlingPlayer Mobile for iPhone at the Starbucks across from San Francisco's Metreon at 10AM on June 9th -- the same time as Apple's WWDC keynote.

What is the logic behind that? It's like they wanted to make sure no one would show up.
post #4 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zweben View Post

What is the logic behind that? It's like they wanted to make sure no one would show up.

I suspect Apple was decidedly tepid in reciprocating their enthusiasm and didn't license them as part of the SDK program.
post #5 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zweben View Post

What is the logic behind that? It's like they wanted to make sure no one would show up.

That is a good question. Maybe there are second tier reporters who show up for the convention but can't get in to see The Keynote. If that were the case, I imagine they would love to have an "event" to go to while waiting for the other phases of the WWDC to open up... (just a wild guess--I have no real information about how this event plays out...)
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
Reply
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
Reply
post #6 of 20
Here is a video demo of this proof-of-concept:

http://cdn-ll-static.viddler.com/fla...f?key=984c53dc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tantrum View Post

I suspect Apple was decidedly tepid in reciprocating their enthusiasm and didn't license them as part of the SDK program.

I'm fairly certain they will be accepted, but they will be confined to WiFi streaming only. I'm sure the carrier contracts that are profit-sharing have stipulations on what types of apps can run on their network for that $20 flat rate. Though, there may be ways around it, just as there is a way to use the iPhone's iTunes Store over EDGE.

It's hard to say how Apple is choosing the first developers; perhaps Sling Media signed up later than most. If I were in charge, I'd want to showcase a limited number of professionally built apps—not necessarily for a price—that really showcased the power of OS X iPhone. Opening up to everyone from the get go would result in cluster of poorly designed apps looking for a "me first" position in a new App Store that would be unpleasant to navigate. Plus, doesn't Apple have to test and certify that each app is stable and doesn't violate the rules of the SDK?

I'm guessing Sling Media jumped on the bandwagon late in the game as I can't believe its taken them over 3 months to come up with that demo. They have a Mac app so it's not like they are new to OS X development. I would have expected that demo well within a month on the iPhone Simulator.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #7 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zweben View Post

What is the logic behind that? It's like they wanted to make sure no one would show up.

It Starucks at 10am, it will be busy. Furthermore, it will be flooded with Apple and tech geeks. Also programmers need lots of caffeine.

My question is why they are showing it off? Of course it's marketing, but are trying to get the public interested in order to get Apple to accept them in the developer's program? The problem I foresee is a savvy coders thinking that he already DLs all his videos from torrent and newgroup sites so all he needs is an app for his Mac and one for the iPhone; screw the SlingBox HW! Or even a simple Mac app that turns on Apache and sets up a simple RTSP server that you will allow you access all your stored via Safari.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #8 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tantrum View Post

I suspect Apple was decidedly tepid in reciprocating their enthusiasm and didn't license them as part of the SDK program.

Or maybe they didn't want SLING to be developing something that would duplicate or upstage what they have in store for tv take 3?
post #9 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

Or maybe they didn't want SLING to be developing something that would duplicate or upstage what they have in store for tv take 3?

I don't foresee a new AppleTV with DVR or cable/satellite passthrough coming out anytime soon, but you may be onto something. A year or two ago I was contemplating Quicktime Server's stream capabilities being implemented into a non-server version of OS X. This could allow you to stream your iTunes content straight to your iPhone without any complex setup or need for 3rd-party software.

"QuickTime Streaming Server (QTSS) is a server or service daemon built into Apple's Mac OS X Server that delivers video and audio on request to users over a computer network, including the Internet. Its primary GUI configuration tool is QTSS Publisher.

The open source equivalent to QuickTime Streaming Server is Darwin Streaming Server.

When used in conjunction with QuickTime Broadcaster it is possible to deliver live real time video and audio to multiple users over networks."

Could iTunes 8's seamless streaming and an upgraded .Mac be the key to MobileMe? Really, .Mac isn't even needed, but like with Back To My Mac and Sling Media servers, there needs to be a secure storing of our IP address so you don't have to write it down prior to leaving your house or get stuck if your power is reset and the IP address changes. It would help keep customers tied to iTunes, improve the .Mac subscriber base and grow the iPhone in ways that other cell manufacturers can't compete.


edit: I just went through the March 6th SDK keynote. As you can see, one of the limitations to 3rd-party apps are bandwidth hogging. Streaming video certainly falls in that category. There are several ways to already stream video on the iPhone, but the native YouTube app does reduce the size of the stream when using it over the carrier's network. A way to get it to stream faster and/or a requirement by the carriers?

Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #10 of 20
...is it just me or is that silver rim around the front edge smaller than the current iPhone? That's consistent with the reports we've heard... could this be the first image of the new iPhone posted online???
2.2GHz C2D 15" LED MacBook Pro, 2GB RAM, Upgraded to 7200 RPM HD[center]"I wouldn't buy an Apple computer. It's too fruity." "Apparently fruity must be the new crazy good."[/center]
Reply
2.2GHz C2D 15" LED MacBook Pro, 2GB RAM, Upgraded to 7200 RPM HD[center]"I wouldn't buy an Apple computer. It's too fruity." "Apparently fruity must be the new crazy good."[/center]
Reply
post #11 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by MusLtngBlue View Post

...is it just me or is that silver rim around the front edge smaller than the current iPhone? That's consistent with the reports we've heard... could this be the first image of the new iPhone posted online???

It's just you. That picture is from the current iPhone photo gallery. Look:

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k2...ery-big-07.jpg
post #12 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by MusLtngBlue View Post

...is it just me or is that silver rim around the front edge smaller than the current iPhone? That's consistent with the reports we've heard... could this be the first image of the new iPhone posted online???

It does look a little different, but I don't own one to compare it to and it could just be the angle.
MacBook Pro 17" Glossy 2.93GHz, iPad 64GB, iPhone 4 16GB, and a lot of other assorted goodies.

If you're a troll and you have been slain. Don't be a Zombie.
Reply
MacBook Pro 17" Glossy 2.93GHz, iPad 64GB, iPhone 4 16GB, and a lot of other assorted goodies.

If you're a troll and you have been slain. Don't be a Zombie.
Reply
post #13 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tantrum View Post

I suspect Apple was decidedly tepid in reciprocating their enthusiasm and didn't license them as part of the SDK program.


agree, apple wants this through there own iTV this is the logical next step and extension of apple home access. remember unlike MS , all iphone apps come through itunes with apple approval, this isn't where apple wants to go, why give up that franchise. see the way sling has worded stuff as if to tempt iphone users....jailbroken, its been tested, 10am, come on they are trying to pull an end run, also when apple does their own "sling apple" sling becomes an also ran for the also ran iphone imposters,. apple has THE new moble platform just as MS developed the desktop with windows, now its apples turn.
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
Reply
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
Reply
post #14 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I don't foresee a new AppleTV with DVR or cable/satellite passthrough coming out anytime soon, but you may be onto something. A year or two ago I was contemplating Quicktime Server's stream capabilities being implemented into a non-server version of OS X. This could allow you to stream your iTunes content straight to your iPhone without any complex setup or need for 3rd-party software.

"QuickTime Streaming Server (QTSS) is a server or service daemon built into Apple's Mac OS X Server that delivers video and audio on request to users over a computer network, including the Internet. Its primary GUI configuration tool is QTSS Publisher.

The open source equivalent to QuickTime Streaming Server is Darwin Streaming Server.

When used in conjunction with QuickTime Broadcaster it is possible to deliver live real time video and audio to multiple users over networks."

Could iTunes 8's seamless streaming and an upgraded .Mac be the key to MobileMe? Really, .Mac isn't even needed, but like with Back To My Mac and Sling Media servers, there needs to be a secure storing of our IP address so you don't have to write it down prior to leaving your house or get stuck if your power is reset and the IP address changes. It would help keep customers tied to iTunes, improve the .Mac subscriber base and grow the iPhone in ways that other cell manufacturers can't compete.


edit: I just went through the March 6th SDK keynote. As you can see, one of the limitations to 3rd-party apps are bandwidth hogging. Streaming video certainly falls in that category. There are several ways to already stream video on the iPhone, but the native YouTube app does reduce the size of the stream when using it over the carrier's network. A way to get it to stream faster and/or a requirement by the carriers?


Perhaps on the EDGE network that would be considered a bandwidth hog. I don't think it would be that bad on 3G.

Ladies and Gentlemen... Start your slingboxes! (
post #15 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by donlphi View Post

Perhaps on the EDGE network that would be considered a bandwidth hog. I don't think it would be that bad on 3G.

Ladies and Gentlemen... Start your slingboxes! (

From a user's POV HSDPA would stream from your SlingBox nicely, but I was thinking of the carrier's POV. While the need may be outdated, it appears that the carrier contracts are still in full effect with Apple, so I would imagine that there will be no 3rd-party apps that stream over the carrier's network. To back up my statement of Apple's commitment to the telcos, 3rd-party VoIP apps are allowed per the SDK rules so long as they only work over WiFi.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #16 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by donlphi View Post

Perhaps on the EDGE network that would be considered a bandwidth hog. I don't think it would be that bad on 3G.

Ladies and Gentlemen... Start your slingboxes! (

Veni, vidi, viciPhone - I came, I saw, iSling
Blog: PowerConferenceCalls.com
Reply
Blog: PowerConferenceCalls.com
Reply
post #17 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by ByronVanArsdale View Post

Veni, vidi, viciPhone - I came, I saw, iSling

APPLE STORE IS OFFICIALLY DOWN!!! HUZZAH!
post #18 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

That is a good question. Maybe there are second tier reporters who show up for the convention but can't get in to see The Keynote. If that were the case, I imagine they would love to have an "event" to go to while waiting for the other phases of the WWDC to open up... (just a wild guess--I have no real information about how this event plays out...)


As I understand it, Apple hasn't given out as many press passes this year.
post #19 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

From a user's POV HSDPA would stream from your SlingBox nicely, but I was thinking of the carrier's POV. While the need may be outdated, it appears that the carrier contracts are still in full effect with Apple, so I would imagine that there will be no 3rd-party apps that stream over the carrier's network. To back up my statement of Apple's commitment to the telcos, 3rd-party VoIP apps are allowed per the SDK rules so long as they only work over WiFi.

Supporting the Sling player only over WiFi might be enough of a compromise for me.
post #20 of 20
So when do you all expect this to be released?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Sling unveils concept SlingPlayer Mobile for iPhone