or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple unveils the all new iPhone 3G

Apple unveils the all new iPhone 3G - Page 7

post #241 of 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Where do you get you figures from? The old phone which people stood in line for hours for was $600!! Stop re-writing history. It was way overpriced from the start.

God, happened like 9 months ago and the whiners still keep coming.
post #242 of 288
I just hope they improve the speaker volume.
I returned my first iphone because of the low speaker volume.
post #243 of 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by danger247 View Post

That is one of the things Steve mentioned was greatly improved. Though we have yet to see by how much. Though the new bottom suggests that it will be more than sufficient.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #244 of 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

That is one of the things Steve mentioned was greatly improved. Though we have yet to see by how much. Though the new bottom suggests that it will be more than sufficient.

How so?
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
post #245 of 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

How so?

The bottom seems to be housing larger speakers that are less encumbered by the case design.
post #246 of 288
Finally, we can buy another thing we don't need.
post #247 of 288
The best phone ever just got better. Ok so I am still not happy about the lack of video recording or SMS delivery reports but the 3G and App store will make up for that hopefully.
post #248 of 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by merdhead View Post

God, happened like 9 months ago and the whiners still keep coming.

Better a whiner than a liar anyday. Stop mistating facts that's all. And since when is stating factual truth whining?
post #249 of 288
Quote:

Three of the 5 items you mention (MMS, video recording and audio recording) can be handled by 3rd-parties if Apple doesn't step up to the plate.

Perhaps but not in an elegant fashion unless Apple lets 3rd parties plug in to the built in applications. ie. In iPhone 2.0 you take a photo and you're given the option of emailing it or sharing it to your MobileMe gallery - there needs to be a plugin architecture that lets 3rd parties add 'send as MMS' or 'share to Flickr' direct in the iPhone gallery/photo app.

I hope they do allow that kind of thing as it'd also solve 'Send via Bluetooth' and all sorts of things. Sort of a 'Services' menu for the iPhone.

With video recording, it'd really be best with an Apple app so that a similar service architecture could be implemented 'Share to YouTube' and all that kind of stuff.

Perhaps they've done this - I don't have access to the SDK and if I did I'd still be under NDA I guess.
post #250 of 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by aegisdesign View Post

Perhaps but not in an elegant fashion unless Apple lets 3rd parties plug in to the built in applications. ie. In iPhone 2.0 you take a photo and you're given the option of emailing it or sharing it to your MobileMe gallery - there needs to be a plugin architecture that lets 3rd parties add 'send as MMS' or 'share to Flickr' direct in the iPhone gallery/photo app.

I hope they do allow that kind of thing as it'd also solve 'Send via Bluetooth' and all sorts of things. Sort of a 'Services' menu for the iPhone.

With video recording, it'd really be best with an Apple app so that a similar service architecture could be implemented 'Share to YouTube' and all that kind of stuff.

Perhaps they've done this - I don't have access to the SDK and if I did I'd still be under NDA I guess.

Perhaps in the future they will allow for a robust plug-in system that you can turn on and off vie iTunes setup or on the iPhone's System Pane, but for now it doesn't look like it. Flickr and Facebook image uploading should be out of the gate. I think that may have been something about that in the keynote. (will check later), but if it isn't I have no doubt both companies will have an app to uplaod your iPhones to their site.
post #251 of 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by danger247 View Post

I never returned mine. But, I believe audio was by far the biggest disappointment of the iPhone. I hope it really is "dramatically improved" as Steve says. Also, the last 6 phones I've had all included video capture, why doesn't this one?!?!?! Hopefully a third party can make it happen.
post #252 of 288
I dont know how it happened but I scratched my iPhone screen....keys in pocket my guess.
Its a gouge....really sucks.

So please becareful with your screens.
post #253 of 288
Quote:

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but last year's iPhone was released on a Friday @5pm in each time zone. I postponed a several month trip to Asia last year as long as I could to get it but had to leave the week before it came out. Sucked for me too, though I did get the lower price when I returned.

Oh well. Monday the 14th it will be.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
post #254 of 288
Quote:

Where do you get you figures from? The old phone which people stood in line for hours for was $600!! Stop re-writing history. It was way overpriced from the start.

Not necessarily. Apple had to pay off its initial R&D. The components haven't changed much and the prices for Apple have fallen dramatically from last year.
post #255 of 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Not necessarily. Apple had to pay off its initial R&D. The components haven't changed much and the prices for Apple have fallen dramatically from last year.

That's your interpretation. A perhaps more accurate interpretation is that prices were reduced dramatically in order to justify the sales projections. Are you saying that in 68 days after its initial release all R&D costs had been paid off and that is why it dropped $200?
The product was overpriced to begin with and I know that be hard for those who bought into it initally and waited for hours to buy it but that is the fact. It was a bold marketing move on Apple's part to give it an "exclusive" factor @ $600 but it was definitely overpriced at $600.
post #256 of 288
Quote:

That's your interpretation. A perhaps more accurate interpretation is that prices were reduced dramatically in order to justify the sales projections. Are you saying that in 68 days after its initial release all R&D costs had been paid off and that is why it dropped $200?

I don't see the problem there. $200 per device over maybe 1million devices is $200 million dollars. Even if it's only half a million sold up till then, that's $100M. I don't see a problem in suggesting that the initial costs were paid off by then.
post #257 of 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I don't see the problem there. $200 per device over maybe 1million devices is $200 million dollars. Even if it's only half a million sold up till then, that's $100M. I don't see a problem in suggesting that the initial costs were paid off by then.

There's no point in arguing with these people. If all the posts on this subject from last year were laid end to end--well, they're just bits in a computer somewhere, so they'd be invisible. Every new electronic device costs a lot at first and then rapidly comes down in price. Apparently it's only a new and unexpected outrage when Apple does it.
post #258 of 288
Quote:

The product was overpriced to begin with and I know that be hard for those who bought into it initally and waited for hours to buy it but that is the fact. It was a bold marketing move on Apple's part to give it an "exclusive" factor @ $600 but it was definitely overpriced at $600.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I give credence to both theories. There doesn't have to be only one reason why they lowered the price.

Are there any reports on how tech companies spend on R&D? The last one I read had Apple spending far less than others, but that was at least 5 years ago.
post #259 of 288
Quote:

Exactly. Apple didn't have to invent much other than a new case. Most of the inside remains the same. The radios are standard off the shelf stuff. The back was probably changed to suppress RF interference that the metal back might have generated. Apple dusted off some 6 month old designs, put in a new radio, some nice plastic, and the rest remains virtually the same. R&D costs surley did not exceed $100 Mil. Just can't see it.

It seems that they just crapped all over Tom Tom as well regarding GPS. See link: http://www.iClarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=1334
post #260 of 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapporobaby View Post

Exactly. Apple didn't have to invent much other than a new case. Most of the inside remains the same. The radios are standard off the shelf stuff. The back was probably changed to suppress RF interference that the metal back might have generated. Apple dusted off some 6 month old designs, put in a new radio, some nice plastic, and the rest remains virtually the same. R&D costs surley did not exceed $100 Mil. Just can't see it.

The OS has gone through major revisions and there is the SDK. I have no idea how much that stuff costs. As for the HW, I can't wait until we can crack that puppy open and take a look.

Quote:
It seems that they just crapped all over Tom Tom as well regarding GPS. See link: http://www.iClarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=1334

There is always the possibility that TomTom may be working with Apple now but keeping it hush hush from here on out. If they aren't and no one else has such an app then this would help TomTom maintain it's business. I love my TomTom and hope they are working with Apple. If Apple added that to the SDK for no other reason that to hinder competition then there will legal problems.
post #261 of 288
what i might do

buy the 16gb 3g and get my wife a used V1 iphone,(they will come down in price) then when there is a form factor change upgrade hers to that. i can save some money on the phone defer the cost of the increased data plan
i think a new form factor will be available near or after Christmas. SJ is following the ipod path
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
post #262 of 288
Quote:

Its not as if a $600 dollar phone or even a $1000 phone are unheard of. From reports there is no indication that revenues from the iPhone are way out of proportion from Apple's other products.

The reason the iPhone is $200 is because it is subsidized. Its believed that AT&T is paying the other $200. Apple is still basically making the same amount of money.
post #263 of 288
Quote:

The OS has gone through major revisions and there is the SDK. I have no idea how much that stuff costs. As for the HW, I can't wait until we can crack that puppy open and take a look.

My bet is they integrated the comms and logic boards into one board and used the extra space for battery.

Quote:

There is always the possibility that TomTom may be working with Apple now but keeping it hush hush from here on out. If they aren't and no one else has such an app then this would help TomTom maintain it's business. I love my TomTom and hope they are working with Apple. If Apple added that to the SDK for no other reason that to hinder competition then there will legal problems.

You also have to remember that TomTom and Apple's iPhone/iPod division share an awful lot of ex-Psion hardware and software guys. I'd be quite surprised if that didn't open up channels.
post #264 of 288
Quote:

Define "overpriced." Given that it sold like crazy at the outset, it wasn't. It may have become overpriced in the two months that followed, which is why that adjusted it. The price is what people will pay.
post #265 of 288
Quote:

Its not as if a $600 dollar phone or even a $1000 phone are unheard of. From reports there is no indication that revenues from the iPhone are way out of proportion from Apple's other products.

The reason the iPhone is $200 is because it is subsidized. Its believed that AT&T is paying the other $200. Apple is still basically making the same amount of money.

You'll have to prove it's subsidized. The only evidence we have is that AT&T is charging more for the data plan.
post #266 of 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

Define "overpriced." Given that it sold like crazy at the outset, it wasn't. It may have become overpriced in the two months that followed, which is why that adjusted it. The price is what people will pay.

Sold like crazy in the US maybe. It certainly *was* overpriced elsewhere. Thankfully they've now fixed that and it's free here in the UK like other phones with the same tariffs.
post #267 of 288
Quote:

You'll have to prove it's subsidized. The only evidence we have is that AT&T is charging more for the data plan.

Well, it's free here and the tariff prices haven't changed. I would guess it's both cheaper for O2 to buy from Apple as they've reduced the cost of the handset and it's still subsidised*.

* where subsidised = paid for by the customer anyway monthly in the tariff.
post #268 of 288
Quote:

The proof is all over the net. AT&T is also lowering the cost of the voice plans and offering separate text plan.

AT&T's iPhone 3G subsidy will cost 'em

"AT&T and Apple have shared ongoing revenue from iPhone users. But now AT&T will pay the upfront cost for the iPhone 3G and subsidize the total cost of the phone by making customers agree to a two-year service contract."

"But the new deal comes at a price. AT&T executives said on a conference call with analysts and investors on Monday that the arrangement will put pressure on the company's profit margins and dilute earnings for the next year and a half. That said, the company believes that the new price point and improved Web surfing experience of the iPhone on AT&T's 3G wireless network will drive sales of the iPhone and get more customers using its data services. What's more, AT&T sees iPhone users as highly valuable customers. Executives said that they are willing to make upfront sacrifices to get these customers on their network."
post #269 of 288
Question to US or other non UK iphone customers/fans.

When you send an SMS do you switch on SMS delivery reports? Do you find this useful?

I always make use of this as I can see when someone gets my message so im really confused as to why Apple have still not chosen to use this. Is this something that can be added to iphone/iphone3g via a future fw update?

Thanks
post #270 of 288
Oh ok never mind I just found out that you can after all get SMS delivery reports on iphone you just need to type *0# before the message.
post #271 of 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by bavlondon2 View Post

Oh ok never mind I just found out that you can after all get SMS delivery reports on iphone you just need to type *0# before the message.

That's that innovative, friendly Apple UI experience showing through again.
post #272 of 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by aegisdesign View Post

That's that innovative, friendly Apple UI experience showing through again.

Yeah defiantley. But I think its more a network issue. Its seems O2 generally dont support delivery reports direct from the phone so you have to always type that prefix. Can you set a mesage template in iphone? Problem solved. :-)

Anyway im most definatley going to be getting iphone 3g just as soon as my contract is up as I want to port my number over.
post #273 of 288
Quote:

Yeah defiantley. But I think its more a network issue. Its seems O2 generally dont support delivery reports direct from the phone so you have to always type that prefix.

I think they do... my housemate uses O2 (non-iPhone) and gets the reports automatically.

I reckon the way Apple should do them is by having the colour of the message bubble change. It starts out grey, then goes green or whatever when the other person receives the message. That's a nice unobtrusive interface.

Amorya
post #274 of 288
Quote:

Anyway im most definatley going to be getting iphone 3g just as soon as my contract is up as I want to port my number over.

I thought I would be, but it looks like the early adopter aren't going to be eligible for the $199 3G iPhone for about another year. AT&T still hasn't decided on a price for upgrading early and will probably still require a new 2 year contract.
post #275 of 288
Quote:

I thought I would be, but it looks like the early adopter aren't going to be eligible for the $199 3G iPhone for about another year. AT&T still hasn't decided on a price for upgrading early and will probably still require a new 2 year contract.

AT&T has stated that owners of the original iPhone can upgrade to the iPhone 3G with a new 2-year contract that REPLACES the old contract. Replacing the old contracts means the old contract is null and void and the new 2-year contract starts as of the day you buy the iPhone 3G.
post #276 of 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by icfireball View Post

AT&T has stated that owners of the original iPhone can upgrade to the iPhone 3G with a new 2-year contract that REPLACES the old contract. Replacing the old contracts means the old contract is null and void and the new 2-year contract starts as of the day you buy the iPhone 3G.

Do you have a link? The most recent AT&T memo floating around states that current iPhone owners, up to May 27th, 2008, have to wait until their upgrade date before getting the $199 price and being able to void their current contract for a new 2 year contract.

edit: http://justinflood.com/?p=165
post #277 of 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amorya View Post

I think they do... my housemate uses O2 (non-iPhone) and gets the reports automatically.

I reckon the way Apple should do them is by having the colour of the message bubble change. It starts out grey, then goes green or whatever when the other person receives the message. That's a nice unobtrusive interface.

Amorya

"The delivery report function is not supported on our network. If youd like to receive delivery reports, you can enter *0# followed by your text message and then send the message as you usually would."

I think you can actually do this for most networks. Try it just sending a message to yourself. And from what I have been told there isnt any changing of colour for the message bubble. The delivery report is its own message which is good.

My contract doesnt actually end till start of Q4 so I have a bit of a wait but ive waited this long just for the 3g iphone so I can wait a little longer.

It really is the best phone ever!!! But that still doesnt excuse the lack of video capture.
post #278 of 288
Quote:

I think you can actually do this for most networks. Try it just sending a message to yourself. And from what I have been told there isnt any changing of colour for the message bubble. The delivery report is its own message which is good.

I know there isn't currently a changing colour of bubbles. I'm suggesting what the interface for it should be like, in my opinion.

A separate message would be unusable -- I send about 20 SMS a day. I wouldn't be able to wade through that many report messages.

Amorya
post #279 of 288
Once I have the new one can I, in a bind, swap the SIM card into my original iPhone?
post #280 of 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by probably View Post

Once I have the new one can I, in a bind, swap the SIM card into my original iPhone?

As of right now, it seems that the new one will come with a special SIm card like the old one did and will not take a different SIM unless jailbroken and unlocked.

But that may be a moot point as it seems that you will be required to activate each and every iPhone with both Apple and AT&T stores, so they can bump you up to the higher monthy data rate immediately.

PS: Another unknown is what will happen to current iPhone users who are not yet available for $199 upgrade price accordign to a recently leaked internal memo. Though I can't see them not offering the new model with the increased monthly fee to their customers. It would be shooting themselves in their foot twice.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple unveils the all new iPhone 3G