or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple unveils the all new iPhone 3G
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple unveils the all new iPhone 3G - Page 3

post #81 of 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic_Al View Post

No online sales of the new iPhone?

Evidence: Apple Store, iPhone site, and Apple press release make no mention of future online sales. They only mention the Apple retail store and AT&T retail store as "where to buy". The original 2007 press release of the iPhone mentioned the online stores (Apple and AT&T), but the new press release does not and mentions only the brick-and-mortar stores. This is not an accidental omission.

Theory: the iPhone's price drop is possible because cost is now subsidized by the $10 increase in the service plan. To get an iPhone you will now be required to show up in person and sign up for a plan on the spot, to promote lock-in.

You'd think this would be news but Apple didn't announce this change and we're left to connect the dots.

Yep, it seems so. The "Where to buy" only says Apple retail stores and AT&T stores.
post #82 of 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

What is the extra $10/month for? Are you assuming that the telcos will charge more for the unlimited data part of the package?

Yep. NO need to assume, see: http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/0...ata/index.html
post #83 of 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapporobaby View Post

I am not really a fan of Apple having a persistent connection with my iPhone.

Apple will know where I am. Not a fan of this. Of course I can simply not use the application but I do not buy the complete battery life argument. There will be hits but to report to Apple is a bit disconcerting.

Just my 2 cents.

If you are old enough to have read George Orwell's book 1984 (written 1949), you were afraid of Big Brother. With the introduction of YouTube, Twitter, Loopt, etc. we all have collectively become Big Brother! Even better, we thrive on it and call it content creation!

Can you turn a little to your left.....I can't see your full expression!
Blog: PowerConferenceCalls.com
Reply
Blog: PowerConferenceCalls.com
Reply
post #84 of 288
Two questions first one being more important

1 Why would they not have upgraded the camera, I can't imagine cost being an answer.

2. Why no 32gb option?
post #85 of 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

This is definitely a "joke" post.

Ok, very funny. Ha, ha.

move on.

Melgross, the "new" iPhone is only a point release over the original. No major improvements beyond the 3G to allow it on to more networks (albeit faster networks).

The Snow Leopard teaser is more important. The announcement that didn't occur is a internet mobile platform that has the functionality of a full OSX device in a mobile form factor that is more useful size than a phone.
post #86 of 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLaw View Post

I know there’s always an arsehole like me who expected more, but… I did expect more.
Maybe I was a sucker for the fake leaked pictures showing a thinner all video conferencing iPhone. But it seems to me that our imaginations have got way ahead of Steve’s and Apples.

•\tSo it’s 7mm’s thicker. Is it smaller in any way compared to the original?
•\tThe camera is the same (no better).
•\tNo video conferencing.

But it’s the detail that's beginning to bug me. Like:

•\tThey’re selling it as the phone of speed. But you’re still not going to able to download a song from the iTunes store via 3G. Why is that? Is it legal red tape? Because it’s making Apple look stupid.
•\tWhy isn’t there a file manager so I can save all the PDF’s and .jpeg’s I receive in the mail. What is Apple afraid of, that the filing cabinet won’t look Gay Chic?

I guess I’ll have to just queue up and buy one…

–If I recall correctly, it's just 2mm thicker, which is almost nothing.
–All cell phone cameras are shitty just by virtue of the fact that the lens is so small therefore the optics suck and they have terrible low-light performance. What's the point on wasting a more expensive 5 megapixel sensor on an otherwise shitty camera. The point of the iPhone having a camera is not to replace your camera, but rather to give you the ability to snap a quick pic.
– If Apple implemented video conferencing, you'd only be able to use it with other iPhone users or people on iChat on Mac. But regardless, who actually uses video conferencing in a regular basis, if ever at all. Phones are all about multitasking, and you can't do that with video conferencing. In addition, most people feel very awkward when video conferencing. Not to mention that you'd only be able to video conference over WiFi because video conferencing over the cell network would devastate the bandwidth.

– You can download Apps up to 10MBs with the new 3G iPhone so I would assume you'd be able to download music via the store through 3G.
– Maybe it's coming, but I don't know of any email programs that have a file manager for attachments.
post #87 of 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBaggins View Post

I think it's a good deal either way now. And I've seen no info yet that Apple has given up taking their monthly kickback from ATT... would be interesting if that were the case.



.

See the NYTimes link above, AT&T talk specifically about the change to 'upfront' subsidies. Also how do you get $80 savings? 24 x $10 = $240.

Also see Apple's SEC disclosure: http://sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/3.../rrd210213.htm
post #88 of 288
Not gonna buy it.

NO WAY.

Jobs farked me with a $599 price tag.

Then he farked me by dropping it to $399.

Then he tried to un-fark me when I farking complained about his farking me twice already by offering me a $100 gift certificate to spend on more farking crap in his store.

Now, if I am lucky, I might get $150 out my current iPhone on ebay.

So, Steve, fark you.

I'll finish serving my time in AT&T, and then unlock and head back to Verizon.

I mean really, no farking front camera? I don't give a flying fark about 3G. Seriously, could not care less.

I want video chat, WhatTheFark?
post #89 of 288
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by merdhead View Post

Oh please. You believe Apple's self serving drivel.

3G isn't going to cost the phone companies much more than 2G. 3G has more capacity and lower cost per byte, which already has a marginal cost very close to zero. People may use a little more data but certainly nothing justifying a 50% increase in the data cost.

While it is true that 3G has higher capacity and the potential to actually save a carrier money in the long-term, in the short-term, it takes billions to actually BUILD OUT said 3G network.


Quote:
Apple is back off any number of 'innovations' they pioneered with the iPhone, and non-activation will most likely be another one.

Apple will lose money on a non-activated $100 phone, and with the level of unlocking they will lose lots of money. Either they will make locking unbreakable (difficult but ultimately possible) or they will abandon non-activation.

If Apple starts selling iPhones at below cost, I think your analysis is very correct. The current $199 price doesn't seem necessarily below cost though.


.
Cut-copy-paste, MMS, landscape keyboard, video-recording, voice-calling, and more... FINALLY
To the 'We Didn't Need It' Crowd/Apple Apologista Squad : Wrong again, lol
Thanks for listening to your...
Reply
Cut-copy-paste, MMS, landscape keyboard, video-recording, voice-calling, and more... FINALLY
To the 'We Didn't Need It' Crowd/Apple Apologista Squad : Wrong again, lol
Thanks for listening to your...
Reply
post #90 of 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjoec123 View Post

It's not news because you're making wild accusations based on little or no evidence. Tinfoil hat, anyone?

Apple reinvented the way mobile phones are sold with the iPhone a year ago by letting people buy them freely and take them home to activate. They're not going to reverse that policy a year later and go back to the "old school" method of forcing people to sign contracts in the store.

The bottom line is that Apple doesn't worry nearly as much as people think about iPhones that end up on other carriers or in other countries. A sale is a sale. Even at $199, I'm willing to bet Apple isn't losing money on an iPhone sale. That's just not the way Apple does things.

There will be an increase in monthly service cost, of course, because you will be on 3G. That's standard for all cell phone providers. No one offers 3G speeds for the same price as EDGE speeds.

Again, no big conspiracy going on here. If it does end up being true that the iPhone will no longer be sold online, I imagine that's due to shipping costs more than anything else.

Actually, most cell phone companies don't distinguish between data rates and cost. Also, I'd bet Apple is breaking even or loosing a couple of bucks with a $199 iPhone, but they make up for people who buy it but jailbreak it with larger revenue sharing portions than before and likely an upfront subsidy through the carriers. I'm guessing AT&T gives Apple $200 upfront for new iPhones signed on a contract.
post #91 of 288
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by merdhead View Post

See the NYTimes link above, AT&T talk specifically about the change to 'upfront' subsidies. Also how do you get $80 savings? 24 x $10 = $240.

Ah, thanks for the link. And if my math is off, forgive me... I'm multitasking heavily over here, a lot's going on.


.
Cut-copy-paste, MMS, landscape keyboard, video-recording, voice-calling, and more... FINALLY
To the 'We Didn't Need It' Crowd/Apple Apologista Squad : Wrong again, lol
Thanks for listening to your...
Reply
Cut-copy-paste, MMS, landscape keyboard, video-recording, voice-calling, and more... FINALLY
To the 'We Didn't Need It' Crowd/Apple Apologista Squad : Wrong again, lol
Thanks for listening to your...
Reply
post #92 of 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manonnorthshore View Post

Two questions first one being more important

1 Why would they not have upgraded the camera, I can't imagine cost being an answer.

2. Why no 32gb option?

1. Cost is a factor with the new aggressive pricing. But also, as I explained in another post, upgrading the camera wouldn't do much. Resolution is not everything. Most cell phone cameras fail not because of the resolution but because of the size of the lens and other components, which, when upgraded are very expensive.

2. Upgrade path for holiday shopping season, cost of flash memory right now, or size. I'm sure we'll see a 32GB model later this year with the introduction of new iPods and such for the holiday season.
post #93 of 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manonnorthshore View Post

Two questions first one being more important

1 Why would they not have upgraded the camera, I can't imagine cost being an answer.

2. Why no 32gb option?

1. Maybe size? All the phones I've seen with better cameras were thicker. To upgrade the optics, it needs to be a bigger lens, and any zoom or focus mechanism takes space too.

2. I was hoping for 32GB too, not that I really need it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

I do not understand, why is it you consistently diss anyone who is not satisfied with an Apple product?

I don't think he consistently disses just anyone who is not satisfied with the product. Mel is usually much more reasonable than that.

But in this case, I think he's right to do so. The person that Melgross "mocked" was disatisfied with the nonexistence of products, not the product announced today. Some people seem to expect half a dozen new products for every keynote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelcruncher View Post

I'm a little disappointed that Apple makes such a big deal out of the iPhone as a storefront (like the developers weren't aware that their apps could actually be sold to iPhone users). I felt like all the demos were missing was a "Just $9.99!" tag graphic.

Not just Devs. Apple is promoting this to the journalists too.

Quote:
The games looked a bit silly, who's really going to sit on an airplane holding their iPhone like a steering wheel and driving a virtual caveman around?

Didn't people say that the Wii was similarly ridiculous?
post #94 of 288
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by merdhead View Post

Yep. NO need to assume, see: http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/0...ata/index.html

WOW, quite a shift. I wonder if China Mobile's adamant resistance to the 'monthly kickback to Apple' subsidy model is part of it.


.
Cut-copy-paste, MMS, landscape keyboard, video-recording, voice-calling, and more... FINALLY
To the 'We Didn't Need It' Crowd/Apple Apologista Squad : Wrong again, lol
Thanks for listening to your...
Reply
Cut-copy-paste, MMS, landscape keyboard, video-recording, voice-calling, and more... FINALLY
To the 'We Didn't Need It' Crowd/Apple Apologista Squad : Wrong again, lol
Thanks for listening to your...
Reply
post #95 of 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLaw View Post

I know theres always an arsehole like me who expected more, but I did expect more.
Maybe I was a sucker for the fake leaked pictures showing a thinner all video conferencing iPhone. But it seems to me that our imaginations have got way ahead of Steves and Apples.

\tSo its 7mms thicker. Is it smaller in any way compared to the original?
\tThe camera is the same (no better).
\tNo video conferencing.

But its the detail that's beginning to bug me. Like:

\tTheyre selling it as the phone of speed. But youre still not going to able to download a song from the iTunes store via 3G. Why is that? Is it legal red tape? Because its making Apple look stupid.
\tWhy isnt there a file manager so I can save all the PDFs and .jpegs I receive in the mail. What is Apple afraid of, that the filing cabinet wont look Gay Chic?

I guess Ill have to just queue up and buy one

They can't do everything at once. It's a learning experience when designing a product.

New hardware must be available, power must be sufficient.

With software, they look to what MOST people want, and do that first.

The other features will come.

Some people say this or that is useless to them because of one minor feature, but most people don't care about that feature.

Apple did fix one problem that many said they weren't happy about, and that was group deletes in Mail.

Other things will come, possibly as third party apps, possibly even free, as a lot of apps look as they will be.

If, somehow, Apple were able to do all of this now, AND drop the price so much, what would you say to a later model? Not enough new features?
post #96 of 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by merdhead View Post

Well you have to be a bit more attentive if you're not going to be duped. The price went UP not down.

Old price $399, new price $199, $10 extra per month over the life of the contract, $240 + $199 = $439.

What did you expects?! did you expect to pay the same for 3G connection!!

This issue was already discussed here many times.
post #97 of 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by DimMok View Post

Date nite fizzled again.

Plastic back?? man what are we doing there.....

I think it's better than two different materials for the back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Where is everyone?

Oh well.

I don't know about anyone else, but the site was very unstable for me today. And the post disorder gremlin has come back too.
post #98 of 288
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by icfireball View Post

1. Cost is a factor with the new aggressive pricing. But also, as I explained in another post, upgrading the camera wouldn't do much. Resolution is not everything. Most cell phone cameras fail not because of the resolution but because of the size of the lens and other components, which, when upgraded are very expensive.

To a point. The Nokia N82, for example, is not a huge, heavy phone, yet it manages to take quite a bit better pics than the iPhone. It's 5 megapixel too.


Quote:
2. Upgrade path for holiday shopping season, cost of flash memory right now, or size. I'm sure we'll see a 32GB model later this year with the introduction of new iPods and such for the holiday season.


I think you're exactly right.



.
Cut-copy-paste, MMS, landscape keyboard, video-recording, voice-calling, and more... FINALLY
To the 'We Didn't Need It' Crowd/Apple Apologista Squad : Wrong again, lol
Thanks for listening to your...
Reply
Cut-copy-paste, MMS, landscape keyboard, video-recording, voice-calling, and more... FINALLY
To the 'We Didn't Need It' Crowd/Apple Apologista Squad : Wrong again, lol
Thanks for listening to your...
Reply
post #99 of 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by echosonic View Post

Not gonna buy it.

NO WAY.

Jobs farked me with a $599 price tag.

Then he farked me by dropping it to $399.

Then he tried to un-fark me when I farking complained about his farking me twice already by offering me a $100 gift certificate to spend on more farking crap in his store.

Now, if I am lucky, I might get $150 out my current iPhone on ebay.

So, Steve, fark you.

I'll finish serving my time in AT&T, and then unlock and head back to Verizon.

I mean really, no farking front camera? I don't give a flying fark about 3G. Seriously, could not care less.

I want video chat, WhatTheFark?

Another "joke post"?
post #100 of 288
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I don't know about anyone else, but the site was very unstable today. And the post disorder gremlin has come back too.


Amen to that. AI was so bad during the keynote that I just went over to Engadget for the live coverage... no hiccups over there.




.
Cut-copy-paste, MMS, landscape keyboard, video-recording, voice-calling, and more... FINALLY
To the 'We Didn't Need It' Crowd/Apple Apologista Squad : Wrong again, lol
Thanks for listening to your...
Reply
Cut-copy-paste, MMS, landscape keyboard, video-recording, voice-calling, and more... FINALLY
To the 'We Didn't Need It' Crowd/Apple Apologista Squad : Wrong again, lol
Thanks for listening to your...
Reply
post #101 of 288
so that wasnt too exciting. nothing too ground braking. but 3G and GPS are still very welcomed features.

Yea I dont think you'll see 'free' iphones for a while. sure the price will be less than half in 6 months time. But they'll only be free to clear stocks just before a new iphone is coming out.

I think they'll bring out a 32GB in about 6 months time. and the 8 GB will be booted at some point when they expand to an 'iphone family range' with a smaller, simpler 'iphone nano' product. with multiple colour options (compared to white and black of the iphone 3G models). just like the current ipod nano/classic range.

The white.. now thats a shocker! They've been phasing out white throughout apple for the last few years. and black has always been for 'elite' versions of products like in the 2ndG nano and macbooks ranges. now the whites the elite!?!
I recon they'll change that colour hierarchy when they refresh the range in a years time.

Although it would be brilliant, they wont bring out a new a new iphone (apart from expanding the range with a nano) for a year... as it would result in majorly pissing off their loyal customer base.
But in a year we will be looking to an improved camera, even better 3G data speeds and hopefully some tactile feedback.

But apples a software based company, and thats whats gonna keep their sales up. Im sure there will be constant improvements over the year. And the list of apps will be impressive.

Now what to do with the ipod touch? well they wont get rid of the product because a wide screen media player is still a valuable sector of the market. But I think its gonna be a difficult sale for them, they'll have to drop the prices. but it'll still look weird sitting in the apple stores as its less features but more expensive. Maybe because of this point alone they wont drop the price for the new iphone 3G too low to eat into the ipod touch's market (at least in the apple stores where they are sold side by side).

Overall, I'm sold. I was deterred by the edge before. but now with 3G i'll be picking one up on the 11th for sure.
post #102 of 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I think it's better than two different materials for the back.



I don't know about anyone else, but the site was very unstable today. And the post disorder gremlin has come back too.

Yeah. I couldn't even get to the live coverage.

I wrote to Kasper about it.
post #103 of 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBaggins View Post

To a point. The Nokia N82, for example, is not a huge, heavy phone, yet it manages to take quite a bit better pics than the iPhone. It's 5 megapixel too.

.


It is not about the size, it is about the depth.

With a thin phone (iPhone, RAZR, or any of the thin ones), there is not enough depths to use good optics, or to have a larger sensor. The quality of the camera is universally bad.

Look at the higher MP phone cameras. The phones are thicker, but may not be bigger or heavier.
post #104 of 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBaggins View Post

While it is true that 3G has higher capacity and the potential to actually save a carrier money in the long-term, in the short-term, it takes billions to actually BUILD OUT said 3G network.




If Apple starts selling iPhones at below cost, I think your analysis is very correct. The current $199 price doesn't seem necessarily below cost though.


.

The 3G build out is a fixed cost, and has nothing to do with the iPhone per se. The have to invest these dollars anyway. The question is how the iPhone is paid for.

$199 is definitely below cost, without question. There is no way they are building this phone for less that. The full price of this phone (to carriers) will be in the range of $650-$850.

Have a look at AT&T's press release. They are losing 10-12 cents per share because of the new iPhone. It is an expensive new phone and Apple are charging more for it than the last, not least because the components cost more.
post #105 of 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

What did you expects?! did you expect to pay the same for 3G connection!!

This issue was already discussed here many times.

If you'd actually bothered to read the thread, you'll note what we're talking about whether this is an 'aggressive' price cut. It's clearly not. The price of the phone has gone up to both the customer and phone company.
post #106 of 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

What did you expects?! did you expect to pay the same for 3G connection!!

This issue was already discussed here many times.

The 3G conneciton on my Moto Razr V3xx costs $20/mo unlimited. Not sure how they justify the extra $10.
post #107 of 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBaggins View Post

WOW, quite a shift. I wonder if China Mobile's adamant resistance to the 'monthly kickback to Apple' subsidy model is part of it.


.

I think every strong phone carrier (Vaodafone is a good example) would be against it. Now Apple are on the same page with upfront subsidies and everyone is happy.
post #108 of 288
Too bad Apple didn't use Sharp's new RJ63SC100 5Mp camera sensor. At only 6.6mm thick, it should be thin enough even for the 3G's tapered edges.

Now where's the voice recorder application Steve said would be included when he first introduced the iPhone? Still waiting, Steve!
post #109 of 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBaggins View Post

But some ppl took it further, and were saying things like there was no point to 3G, EDGE was nearly as fast, EDGE has way better latency (not true, btw), etc. etc. Obviously, they were quite wrong about it.

I must admit, I thought the latency was higher on UMTS than GSM. As for the "no point in 3G", many remarks, including mine, were appending with the qualifier "...until AT&T gets a respectable 3G network up and running." Something they have done swimmingly over this past year.

Quote:
I'm just wondering if it can video-record now. Oh, and MMS?

I see no reaspn why this can't be done via a 3rd-party app as it's all software.


Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLaw View Post

\tTheyre selling it as the phone of speed. But youre still not going to able to download a song from the iTunes store via 3G. Why is that? Is it legal red tape? Because its making Apple look stupid.

There is some truth to that comment as downloading music over the carrier's network, which is something they also sell, may violate some agreement somewhere. You can google an article or two about it.

If you really want to do it there are currently simple hacks to trick the iPhone into thinking you are on a network. Jut use the direct IP address of your EDGE network and the iTunes STore app will function.

Quote:
\tWhy isnt there a file manager so I can save all the PDFs and .jpegs I receive in the mail. What is Apple afraid of, that the filing cabinet wont look Gay Chic?

Did they not mention a way of saving pictures from emails and a Library for storing and viewing all sorts of files like .DOC, .XLS, etc.?


Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjoec123 View Post

Well, it's likely to go up because of the 3G speed. This is a given, though. This is not Apple doing something dastardly to its customers. If you get a 3G Blackberry, you're going to pay more for 3G, too.

I haven't been able to figure out a formula, but it might not go up. Remember that iPhone users are required to get the data plan, even if they use the non-contractual GoPhone plan, while other phones have it as an option. This means that high data usage people will ferintiely buy in on other phones, and those not as likely probably won't. Also, since the iPhone has WiFi which is faster and uses less power, people will use that whenever possible, and WiFI hotspots are growing, and I'm certain AT&T will offer it to iPhones for free again. Anyway, we shall see if this balances out the cost difference.

Quote:
Funny, how all of a sudden people want to talk about the "life of the contract" instead of the upfront costs. I remember some people getting shot down last year when they rightly pointed out that most $99 Windows mobile devices are actually more expensive than an iPhone over the life of the contract.

I'm not following, both your sentences pose the same side of the argument. Since Balmer's assertion that nobody is going to pay that much for a phone we've had comparisons of rate plans showing the iPhone is actually cheaper over 2 years.


Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Probably only answerable next month.

I'm pretty sure it has the same 620MHz ARM11 CPU that was reported last week. Probably the same amount of RAM, too, though I hope it's more.


Quote:
Originally Posted by merdhead View Post

3G isn't going to cost the phone companies much more than 2G. 3G has more capacity and lower cost per byte, which already has a marginal cost very close to zero.

Considering the billions AT&T has put into HSDPA this year alone, we are going to need some facts and figures.

Quote:
Apple will lose money on a non-activated $100 phone, and with the level of unlocking they will lose lots of money. Either they will make locking unbreakable (difficult but ultimately possible) or they will abandon non-activation.

With 70 countries coming on board this year there won't be the international grey market sales were saw this past year. There also won't be any iPhones on Sprint or Verizon, for obvious reasons, and anyone on T-Mobile that wants to use a 3G iPhone will have to abandon T-Mobile to do it. There will be some that will prefer to stay on T-Mobile with an EDGE phone, but I think 3G is a much more powerful draw than deciding which carrier you hate the least.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #110 of 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBaggins View Post

Amen to that. AI was so bad during the keynote that I just went over to Engadget for the live coverage... no hiccups over there.




.

I find macrumorslive.com to be pretty good in terms of their tech al least. Javascript updating, no refresh needed. Their coverage was pretty good with steaming photos and reasonable text. aAcWorld has more detailed postings but were less frequent.
post #111 of 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by joebloggs View Post

It looks like iPhone 3G still doesn't support voice dialing. What's with that? Handsfree cell phone use while driving is becoming mandatory in most states and much of Europe, and dialing while driving is probably more dangerous than talking while driving. Nearly every cell phone has this feature. And every mac since about 1990 has supported voice recognition. This should have been a no-brainer on iPhone 1; there's no excuse for omitting it on the new one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by icfireball View Post

That's simply a matter of a software update, which could happen at any time. And because of the iPhone accounting model, it would be free.

Hmmm. Yes, I suppose it could happen at any time, but it hasn't despite this being raised as an issue on the first model. Somebody said there's an app that supports this for jailbroken (jailbraked??) iPhones, but I'm not sure I want to go there. It's a curious omission by Apple.
post #112 of 288
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnqh View Post

It is not about the size, it is about the depth.

With a thin phone (iPhone, RAZR, or any of the thin ones), there is not enough depths to use good optics, or to have a larger sensor. The quality of the camera is universally bad.

Look at the higher MP phone cameras. The phones are thicker, but may not be bigger or heavier.


Yah, but its a bit frustrating... the 'sweet spot', i.e. the thinnest phones with good camera performance, seems to be 15-17mm: the N82, Viewty, K850i, etc. A bit thicker than the iPhone, but still not what you'd call a 'thick' phone.

I'd be sweet to see an iPhone variant that was more multimedia-centered, and dared to be a touch thicker. And, as a bonus, lots more room for a bigger battery.



.
Cut-copy-paste, MMS, landscape keyboard, video-recording, voice-calling, and more... FINALLY
To the 'We Didn't Need It' Crowd/Apple Apologista Squad : Wrong again, lol
Thanks for listening to your...
Reply
Cut-copy-paste, MMS, landscape keyboard, video-recording, voice-calling, and more... FINALLY
To the 'We Didn't Need It' Crowd/Apple Apologista Squad : Wrong again, lol
Thanks for listening to your...
Reply
post #113 of 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by merdhead View Post

If you'd actually bothered to read the thread, you'll note what we're talking about whether this is an 'aggressive' price cut. It's clearly not. The price of the phone has gone up to both the customer and phone company.

If a 50% price cut is not aggressive then I don't know what else is!! Beside, Lets talk when something official comes out from AT&T or Apple regarding the $10 extra.
post #114 of 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Another "joke post"?

Ahhh. . . . now I understand, this is how you've managed to get 13000+ "comments"
post #115 of 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by icfireball View Post

But you can still pick one up at an Apple store with no activation or pushy AT&T sales people. The lack of an online option is probably to drive customers to Apple stores to see macs as well, and to deal with the incredible demand.

While the lack of online sales is yet to be confirmed (because it isn't actually released yet), it would be an idiotic move for Apple not to have them.

I live in Vancouver Canada, which is the third largest metropolitan area in the country and 20 minutes from the USA border, but there is a single tiny little apple store in a mall downtown. A month ago there wasn't even that. The next nearest store is thousands of miles away!

To not sell the iPhone online would mean throwing potential sales out the window, big-time.

Even if they sell it in Rogers stores, there are still tens of thousands of potential customers that would have to drive for a whole day just to find one of those in my province alone. You can say pretty much the same things about the rest of Canada, Australia, South America, etc.

Heck in Vancouver, having it for sale in a Rogers store would probably mean *decreased* sales. Rogers has a rep for being worse than AT&T for customer service and lying to and strong-arming the customers. Those guys are truly "anti-customer" and the dishonesty will rub off on Apple if they aren't careful.
In Windows, a window can be a document, it can be an application, or it can be a window that contains other documents or applications. Theres just no consistency. Its just a big grab bag of monkey...
Reply
In Windows, a window can be a document, it can be an application, or it can be a window that contains other documents or applications. Theres just no consistency. Its just a big grab bag of monkey...
Reply
post #116 of 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

And at 2Mpx it takes a hell of a lot better picture than my Razr.

5MP on mobile phones is becoming normal here in Japan.
post #117 of 288
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by merdhead View Post

The 3G build out is a fixed cost, and has nothing to do with the iPhone per se. The have to invest these dollars anyway. The question is how the iPhone is paid for.

ATT really doesn't HAVE to do anything... they certainly can, and would, restrict their 3G network's build-out only to the most heavily populated urban areas if it looked like the thing will be a huge money-loser for them. It's a big investment for them, they have to recoup costs somehow. That's why I'm complaining less about the data plan increase than most.


Quote:
$199 is definitely below cost, without question. There is no way they are building this phone for less that. The full price of this phone (to carriers) will be in the range of $650-$850.

That high? I dunno. The early teardowns I saw for the iPhone (a year ago) indicated a materials cost of around $215... and many of the parts have declined in price since then. There are some better parts in the 3G iPhone, even so, 3G chipsets are not that terribly expensive. If the cost to carriers is $650-800, the carriers are getting soaked.


Quote:
Have a look at AT&T's press release. They are losing 10-12 cents per share because of the new iPhone. It is an expensive new phone and Apple are charging more for it than the last, not least because the components cost more.

Well, ATT is desperate for the iPhone too, let's not forget. They need it badly because it helps ATT in so many areas where they're not strong: data ARPU, postpaid contract sign-ups (about half of ATT's net adds come from prepay, actually), overall ARPU, churn.

So if ATT is getting soaked by Apple on this, it's understandable why. And Steve is ever so happy to do it, too.


.
Cut-copy-paste, MMS, landscape keyboard, video-recording, voice-calling, and more... FINALLY
To the 'We Didn't Need It' Crowd/Apple Apologista Squad : Wrong again, lol
Thanks for listening to your...
Reply
Cut-copy-paste, MMS, landscape keyboard, video-recording, voice-calling, and more... FINALLY
To the 'We Didn't Need It' Crowd/Apple Apologista Squad : Wrong again, lol
Thanks for listening to your...
Reply
post #118 of 288
I hope they don't keep dropping the price at this rate. My novel in which the iPhone plays a bit part relies on one being a slightly pricey purchase.

Anyway it will be great to have them in Australia. It will be an option for me once I am ready to retire my low-end Nokia. I never saw the point of fancier phones when they were complicated to use.

One thing I am not sure I like: auto-switching between networking modes. In some parts of the world these have radically different cost structures and in that case being able to choose e.g. to stick with WiFi even if it didn't have the best signal strength may be better. But it will depend on the details of the plan. Optus here is taking (refundable) preorder deposits without any details of plans; Vodafone is on Apple's web site but has nothing about iPhone on their site. Good that there's competition from day 1.

Philip Machanick creator of Opinionations and Green Grahamstown
Department of Computer Science, Rhodes University, South Africa

Reply

Philip Machanick creator of Opinionations and Green Grahamstown
Department of Computer Science, Rhodes University, South Africa

Reply
post #119 of 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Yeah. I couldn't even get to the live coverage.

I wrote to Kasper about it.

The best coverage was both twitlive.tv and Cali Lewis live audio coverage (combined). I had an up to the minute sense of what was happening.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #120 of 288
Thread Starter 
ALL RIGHT! In after hours trading, AAPL has rebounded back up to $182.45.

I think the coming days should be kind, unless the overall economic situation/oil prices tank stocks in general, hard.



.
Cut-copy-paste, MMS, landscape keyboard, video-recording, voice-calling, and more... FINALLY
To the 'We Didn't Need It' Crowd/Apple Apologista Squad : Wrong again, lol
Thanks for listening to your...
Reply
Cut-copy-paste, MMS, landscape keyboard, video-recording, voice-calling, and more... FINALLY
To the 'We Didn't Need It' Crowd/Apple Apologista Squad : Wrong again, lol
Thanks for listening to your...
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple unveils the all new iPhone 3G