or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple details iPhone 2.0 software, App Store
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple details iPhone 2.0 software, App Store

post #1 of 24
Thread Starter 
As part of its introduction of iPhone 3G, Apple has also unveiled the final version of its iPhone 2.0 software, including the App Store, iWork and Office document support, and numerous other features not mentioned during the March SDK event.

Owners of any iPhone or iPod touch will be able to read Keynote, Numbers, and Pages documents created by Macs and will have equal access to Excel, PowerPoint, and Word files created from either Mac or Windows PCs.

Reflecting the firmware's already confirmed Exchange support as well as the introduction of the new MobileMe Internet sync service, a previously revealed contact search feature will let users find information with results updated as the user types. In the mail application, it's now possible to quickly delete e-mail in bulk or move it to another folder, Apple adds.

Other additions will include much broader Asian character display and entry support with handwriting recognition, parental controls to limit access to apps, and a new calculator app that automatically switches to an advanced scientific format when the phone is tilted into landscape mode.

The version 2.0 upgrade will be preloaded on to iPhone 3G and will be available as a free download for all iPhone 2G owners in early July. Apple is charging $10 to upgrade the iPod touch and is believed to be doing so for worries that the US Sarbannes-Oxley Act requires charging for new features on products sold without a subscription-like revenue model.

Apple has also provided significantly expanded details about the App Store, the official source for third-party application downloads for both the iPhone and iPod touch.

The portal will be available through the devices or any iTunes-equipped computer at the same time as iPhone 2.0 and will be available through 62 out of the 70 countries receiving the iPhone later this year. Revenue sharing remains the same as that announced in March and will see developers keep 70 percent of the revenue from any paid applications. Download costs for free software will be absorbed by Apple, though all software is protected in the same FairPlay system as iTunes Store media downloads.

However, app downloads will also be limited over the cellular network to programs with a file size of 10MB or less. Larger software downloads will require the user to either use a Wi-Fi hotspot or to sideload the new software from a computer downloading the app through iTunes.

Options for distributing apps expand for business and educational customers, according to Apple. In enterprise, companies will have the ability to authorize only company iPhones for downloads and can show the app only to those on the company intranet, preventing confidential software or company details from being exposed.

Schools and other firms needing to distribute apps will also have access to a new sharing feature, dubbed Ad Hoc, that will permit as many as 100 authorized iPhones to use a third-party application without separate purchases.

Both solutions should be available as of the App Store's public debut.
post #2 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple is charging $10 to upgrade the iPod touch and is believed to be doing so for worries that the US Sarbannes-Oxley Act requires charging for new features on products sold without a subscription-like revenue model.

Then why not charge them $.99?
post #3 of 24
Any word on features like sending mms messages (like pictures) or recording video with the iPhone? Those are some features I'm missing that I had on my old "free" Nokia phone. \
post #4 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacVicta View Post

Then why not charge them $.99?

Because they want to squeeze you like a wet rag.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #5 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Because they want to squeeze you like a wet rag.

The article should state that rather than applying the Sarbox excuse.
post #6 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacVicta View Post

The article should state that rather than applying the Sarbox excuse.

Would be nice if AppleInsider would stop perpetuating this excuse.
post #7 of 24
iPod touch: will you have to buy the previous update to get this update? Or will this update be cumulative? Will probably have to wait to get the answer on these questions...
post #8 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacVicta View Post

The article should state that rather than applying the Sarbox excuse.

You're right.

Granted, there is (used to be) an ongoing, tangible revenue stream coming from iPhone subscribers connected to the AT&T network. (According to AT&T, that tangible stream of ongoing revenue is going to dry up as soon as the iPhone 3G becomes available.)

But there has never been any such guaranteed ongoing stream of real dollars entering Apple's coffers due to the Apple TV, which has also received significant feature updates at no additional cost to the end user. This fact alone means that at best, it's all a case of accounting hocus pocus, and that the iPod Touch is accounted for differently simply because Apple has chosen to account for it differently - not because Apple was forced to account for it differently.

Certainly it has nothing at all to do with any tangible stream of "subscription" revenue.
post #9 of 24
I was hoping for text selection cut/copy/paste.
We were once so close to heaven
Peter came out and gave us medals
Declaring us the nicest of the damned -- They Might Be Giants          See the stars at skyviewcafe.com
Reply
We were once so close to heaven
Peter came out and gave us medals
Declaring us the nicest of the damned -- They Might Be Giants          See the stars at skyviewcafe.com
Reply
post #10 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by shetline View Post

I was hoping for text selection cut/copy/paste.

Well they didn't say it wouldn't be there, but you'd think they would have talked about it more. I would have to think that every application on the iPhone will get some changes. I hope so at least. They also didn't mention a to-do list or tweaking the calender to work more effectively as a to-do list.
post #11 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by eswank View Post

Any word on features like sending mms messages (like pictures) or recording video with the iPhone? Those are some features I'm missing that I had on my old "free" Nokia phone. \

For real!!! What the hell, I wait all this time for apple to release the new 3G iPhone and the 2.0 firmware to go with it for nothing. I distinctly remember apple saying that, oh not to worry iPhone owners we hear what you want your iPhone to do, and all this can EASILY be accomplished by software updates. I some how have a hard time believing that WANTING THE iPHONE TO SEND/RECEIVE MMS, AND RECORD VIDEO was not at the top of the request list. I mean hell practically every phone but the iPhone does that, and they didn't even throw that into the 2.0 firmware. COME ON APPLE!!! Now yes I know the work around with the MMS regarding picture messages, but still nothing is done with the video. I pray to god that someone develops an app that I can at least get through the app store, so that my iPhone can do these simple tasks. Fully disappointed with WWDC 2008!!!
post #12 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by aandf1978 View Post

For real!!! What the hell, I wait all this time for apple to release the new 3G iPhone and the 2.0 firmware to go with it for nothing. I distinctly remember apple saying that, oh not to worry iPhone owners we hear what you want your iPhone to do, and all this can EASILY be accomplished by software updates. I some how have a hard time believing that WANTING THE iPHONE TO SEND/RECEIVE MMS, AND RECORD VIDEO was not at the top of the request list. I mean hell practically every phone but the iPhone does that, and they didn't even throw that into the 2.0 firmware. COME ON APPLE!!! Now yes I know the work around with the MMS regarding picture messages, but still nothing is done with the video. I pray to god that someone develops an app that I can at least get through the app store, so that my iPhone can do these simple tasks. Fully disappointed with WWDC 2008!!!


Cut & Paste had to be #1 on the list. But, MMS & VIdeo recording need to be there. I also need Mail in landscape mode. It would be way easier and faster to type an email in landscape mode. Why this isn't there already is a mystery. WTF is that big ass screen for if you can't use it?

WWDC 2008 was a waste. The apps demoed were pretty lame. Apple should have let the other 21,000 developers into their developer program. Jobs statement that "we couldn't let them all in" is the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Why the fuck not? So the other 21,000 people are not going to be allowed to develop apps for the iPhone? Another dumb move by Apple.
post #13 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by shetline View Post

I was hoping for text selection cut/copy/paste.

honestly, no c & p? no flash? it's only 1/2 a loaf w/ these two essential functions that std. on every current phone worth its salt-- smart or not -- out there? lame.
{t}
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

vegetarians really taste better
Reply
{t}
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

vegetarians really taste better
Reply
post #14 of 24
1. Judging by the rather tepid response to 3rd party apps, no one really cares about it. After all of the bitching and moaning about it for a year, 3rd party apps are here, the keynote spends 40 minutes on, and this thread gets what, 11 responses? I'm talking about virtually all comment threads including Engadget, Gizmodo, here, elsewhere, too; and, no one is really excited about it. Is this one of those things users only think they want, bitch about it a lot, but in the end won't really use them unless the third party apps are free?

2. Response in this thread talks about the $10 charge for the OS X iPhone v2.0 for the iPod touch. It doesn't talk about any of the 3rd party apps demonstrated. No one is excited about the AP news app, games, medical apps?

Maybe I was right a while back, 3rd party apps don't matter to cell phones, and Apple is just wasting resources developing a 3rd party ecosystem for the iPhone?
post #15 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by THT View Post

1. Judging by the rather tepid response to 3rd party apps, no one really cares about it. After all of the bitching and moaning about it for a year, 3rd party apps are here, the keynote spends 40 minutes on, and this thread gets what, 11 responses? I'm talking about virtually all comment threads including Engadget, Gizmodo, here, elsewhere, too; and, no one is really excited about it. Is this one of those things users only think they want, bitch about it a lot, but in the end won't really use them unless the third party apps are free?

2. Response in this thread talks about the $10 charge for the OS X iPhone v2.0 for the iPod touch. It doesn't talk about any of the 3rd party apps demonstrated. No one is excited about the AP news app, games, medical apps?

Maybe I was right a while back, 3rd party apps don't matter to cell phones, and Apple is just wasting resources developing a 3rd party ecosystem for the iPhone?

Can't speak for everyone, but as a healthcare professional I'm very excited about 3rd party apps. Getting my 3g iPhone as soon as available. I wish it was available now.
post #16 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by THT View Post

1. Judging by the rather tepid response to 3rd party apps, no one really cares about it. After all of the bitching and moaning about it for a year, 3rd party apps are here, the keynote spends 40 minutes on, and this thread gets what, 11 responses? I'm talking about virtually all comment threads including Engadget, Gizmodo, here, elsewhere, too; and, no one is really excited about it. Is this one of those things users only think they want, bitch about it a lot, but in the end won't really use them unless the third party apps are free?

Well, what we've seen so far isn't really very different from what has already been known back in March. Maybe people just don't feel the need to rehash all the same old points without any new facts to add into the mix.

From what I've seen, the only surprise I've noted is the Ad Hoc app distribution model. I think it might be very promising, but I reserve final judgement until I've had a chance to read more about it.

Quote:
2. Response in this thread talks about the $10 charge for the OS X iPhone v2.0 for the iPod touch. It doesn't talk about any of the 3rd party apps demonstrated. No one is excited about the AP news app, games, medical apps?

They're neat, but I want to have a chance to check them out for myself before I pass judgement.

Quote:
Maybe I was right a while back, 3rd party apps don't matter to cell phones, and Apple is just wasting resources developing a 3rd party ecosystem for the iPhone?

Maybe. I don't think so.
post #17 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by THT View Post

1. Judging by the rather tepid response to 3rd party apps, no one really cares about it. After all of the bitching and moaning about it for a year, 3rd party apps are here, the keynote spends 40 minutes on, and this thread gets what, 11 responses? I'm talking about virtually all comment threads including Engadget, Gizmodo, here, elsewhere, too; and, no one is really excited about it. Is this one of those things users only think they want, bitch about it a lot, but in the end won't really use them unless the third party apps are free?

2. Response in this thread talks about the $10 charge for the OS X iPhone v2.0 for the iPod touch. It doesn't talk about any of the 3rd party apps demonstrated. No one is excited about the AP news app, games, medical apps?

Maybe I was right a while back, 3rd party apps don't matter to cell phones, and Apple is just wasting resources developing a 3rd party ecosystem for the iPhone?

For one thing, we've known about 3rd-party apps since the event on March 6th. We saw demos then and learned about pretty much all the features that were shown then. Check those forums; I'm sure you'll see many positive responses.

Besides that, over half the keynote was going over stuff we already knew about. The first half wa quite boring, even Engadget's live blogger was quite bored with it. We know apps are coming, it's great that many are free, that the developers find it easy to port, but we don't want more demos. We want to use them! We want to search through them and buy them on the store.

I have made mention too many outside this board about the upcoming apps. For instance, I remarked today to a friend that Loopt would be great to locate friends at a concert with the GPS. Which was a huge a problem just a few months ago at an outdoor concert festival. Can't make a call and SMSing your whereabouts is difficult. (That is one of many examples that I could make, but you get the idea)
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #18 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

For instance, I remarked today to a friend that Loopt would be great to locate friends at a concert with the GPS. Which was a huge a problem just a few months ago at an outdoor concert festival. Can't make a call and SMSing your whereabouts is difficult. (That is one of many examples that I could make, but you get the idea)

That Loopt app will do very well IMO. I think the under 30 crowd will absolutely love that app.
post #19 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

That Loopt app will do very well IMO. I think the under 30 crowd will absolutely love that app.

I think it will be invaluable at those times when it really can be useful. Finding friends and family at malls or amusement parks will be a breeze. "Turn on Loopt and I'll meet up with you at 1pm."
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #20 of 24
Does anyone know when this iPhone 2.0 software and the App Store will become available?
post #21 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeman747 View Post

Does anyone know when this iPhone 2.0 software and the App Store will become available?

App Store app is part of the v2.0 software which Jobs stated will be available in "early July."
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #22 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacVicta View Post

Then why not charge them $.99?

Because Apple said from the outset that the touch would be sold as is with upgrades available as separate products, the phone gets suff free because it is included as part of the subscription, just like Blackberry and Windows mobile for cell phones

in fact windows has done the same stuff for a while, selling PDA upgrades and giving phone upgrades
You can't quantify how much I don't care -- Bob Kevoian of the Bob and Tom Show.
Reply
You can't quantify how much I don't care -- Bob Kevoian of the Bob and Tom Show.
Reply
post #23 of 24
Has anyone noticed that with software 2.0 that the letter you enter into the passward fields now briefly shows before turning into the black circle.
post #24 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeman747 View Post

Does anyone know when this iPhone 2.0 software and the App Store will become available?

a better question might be, does anyone know when cut and paste will be included...oh never mind!
{t}
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

vegetarians really taste better
Reply
{t}
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

vegetarians really taste better
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple details iPhone 2.0 software, App Store