or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Montevina MBP MB Speculation Thread

Montevina MBP MB Speculation Thread - Page 5

post #161 of 190
I was just reading on Macrumors, and someone found that on the main store page, it no longer says the MBP is "new," and it did just a day or so ago! That may be a big hint that an update is actually coming!
post #162 of 190
It still says "The new Macbook Pro" on the Mac page...

you got my hopes up, sadly, but I don't think it'll be until end of July, or sometime in August...
post #163 of 190
Yeah but my guess would be because its alot easier to change the new logo in the store, whereas for the Mac page, theyd have to redo the whole macbook pro info page and that icon thing. Why do that if an update could be in (possibly, but probably not) two days?
post #164 of 190
I'm looking for someone to prove me wrong on the following:

Since the 9600M GT, what most Mac users are expecting in the new MBPs (a pathetic card for the price of a MBP) is a die shrunk 8700M GT, which is a card hotter than even the 8800M GTX, and is also 65nm as opposed to ATI's 55nm cards, it will actually run fairly hot.

Hotter than the 55nm ATI HD 3850, which also happens to be 2x faster than a 9600M GT and have a 256bit memory interface rather than a 128bit one.

In which case, why does anybody at all think we will get a 9600M GT?

And why isn't the Mobility HD 3850 the most likely candidate?
post #165 of 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machead99 View Post

I'm looking for someone to prove me wrong on the following:

Since the 9600M GT, what most Mac users are expecting in the new MBPs (a pathetic card for the price of a MBP) is a die shrunk 8700M GT, which is a card hotter than even the 8800M GTX, and is also 65nm as opposed to ATI's 55nm cards, it will actually run fairly hot.

Hotter than the 55nm ATI HD 3850, which also happens to be 2x faster than a 9600M GT and have a 256bit memory interface rather than a 128bit one.

In which case, why does anybody at all think we will get a 9600M GT?

And why isn't the Mobility HD 3850 the most likely candidate?

The 8700M GT is not hotter than the 8800M GTS, or the Mobility HD 3850 for that matter. Neither the 8800M GTS nor the HD 3850 is a realistic proposition for the Macbook Pro's thin aluminum body and low-RPM fans.

Heh. Maybe in the 17".
post #166 of 190
I said GTX*

Also, nobody knows what the TDP of a 3850 is yet, all we know is that it's at the high end of the mid range and it's 55nm. The 9600M GT is at the low end of the mid range but it's 65nm. These are the only concrete, heat related stats we have to compare, in which case, the 3850 does not at all look impractical.

Whether or not a card is possible in a MBP is not determined by whether or not it sucks. Just because the 3850 isn't garbage doesn't mean it won't be fine in a MBP. 17" anyway.

Maybe it'll be BTO like the 8800M GTS in the new iMacs.
post #167 of 190
Quote:

I said GTX*

Also, nobody knows what the TDP of a 3850 is yet, all we know is that it's at the high end of the mid range and it's 55nm. The 9600M GT is at the low end of the mid range but it's 65nm. These are the only concrete, heat related stats we have to compare, in which case, the 3850 does not at all look impractical.

Whether or not a card is possible in a MBP is not determined by whether or not it sucks. Just because the 3850 isn't garbage doesn't mean it won't be fine in a MBP. 17" anyway.

Maybe it'll be BTO like the 8800M GTS in the new iMacs.

I didn't say anything about whether or not the 3850 sucks. It doesn't suck, but that's irrelevant to this discussion.
post #168 of 190
Then show me the evidence that suggests it's not possible to put a 3850 in a MBP, at least the 17". The only relevant stat we know is the fabrication process and that's smaller than the 9600M GT, a big indicator of heat output.
post #169 of 190
Quote:

Then show me the evidence that suggests it's not possible to put a 3850 in a MBP, at least the 17". The only relevant stat we know is the fabrication process and that's smaller than the 9600M GT, a big indicator of heat output.

You're expecting a miracle out of the smaller manufacturing process. For comparison purposes, the Geforce 8700M GT, at 80nm, has a 29W TDP. The 9600M GT with the same specs but 65nm has a 23W TDP.

The Mobility Radeon HD 3850 isn't available yet so I can't find its TDP, but the desktop HD 3850 is 95W. The only meaningful difference between the two is clock speed. I can see AMD cutting the 95W figure in half by taking top binned parts and underclocking them, but no more than that.

The Macbook Pro is a rail-thin laptop with slow-spinning fans. It is not going to take a high-end GPU.
post #170 of 190
*dreams crushed* ughhh... jesus. The price/performance ratio of MBPs is really starting to get to me.
post #171 of 190
Things I don't care about:
How thin it is
Enclosure design
Enclosure material
Processor speed
Graphics card
Magnetic latches
Keyboard
Hard disk capacity

Things I do care about:
Matte screen option

Basically, if Apple re-released the G3 PowerBook, it would be of more use to me than an all-singing-all-dancing MacBook Pro with a glossy display.

Keep the matte screen option Apple!
OK, can I have my matte Apple display, now?
OK, can I have my matte Apple display, now?
post #172 of 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Messiah View Post

How thin it is

Well we can agree on that one.

1"... 1"!! Wtf is wrong with Jobs?!
post #173 of 190
I wouldn't terribly mind if they were to make it 1.2" to 1.3" or something like that just to fit a decent graphics card inside..
15.4" Glossy Macbook Pro, Santa Rosa 2.4Ghz, 4Gb DDR2 667, 160Gb HDD + 1Tb Time Capsule, 8Gb iPhone - Wireless redefines sexy!
15.4" Glossy Macbook Pro, Santa Rosa 2.4Ghz, 4Gb DDR2 667, 160Gb HDD + 1Tb Time Capsule, 8Gb iPhone - Wireless redefines sexy!
post #174 of 190
Agreed. The price/performance ratio on all of Apple's product (mini doesn't count) is great, but on the MBP, it's utterly dire, largely thanks to the ludicrous obsession with keeping it 1" thick.
post #175 of 190
As I have said, and others have said many times, Apple would be better dumping the Pro moniker based solely on the screen size. Instead they should differentiate pro vs. consumer on graphics cards vs. integrated graphics and other offerings like BluRay, 7,200 RPM drives, etc. Come to think of it you don't need a graphics card to run Final Cut Pro well on a MacBook. Sure, you may need it for the entire Studio, which includes Motion that needs a graphics card, but seriously...is there really a need to spurn consumers that want a 17-inch MacBook but don't need the top of the line Intel processor and ATi/nVidea graphics?
You think Im an arrogant [expletive] who thinks hes above the law, and I think youre a slime bucket who gets most of his facts wrong. Steve Jobs
You think Im an arrogant [expletive] who thinks hes above the law, and I think youre a slime bucket who gets most of his facts wrong. Steve Jobs
post #176 of 190
One thing I know for sure is that there are a hell of a lot of guys going to college who won't go with a MBP because it doesn't offer good enough graphics performance.

People like to shrug off hardcore gamers, but the video games industry generates more cash than both the music industry and the movie industry. Hardcore gamers are a large minority amongst consumers nowadays, they will pay if you provide, and they are one of the only areas of the market Apple isn't enticing right now.
post #177 of 190
Matte screen option (keep it glossy, please)

Things I do care about:
How thin it is
Enclosure design
Enclosure material
Processor speed
Graphics card
Magnetic latches
Keyboard (chiclet, please, keeps it cleaner under there)
Hard disk capacity
post #178 of 190
Hi what's happening?? No more speculations about the release of the new MB MBP? Everything is said and we must keep waiting in agony??? \
post #179 of 190
Hopefully it's coming August 5th...or 12th...
post #180 of 190
This update can't come soon enough. C'mon Apple! You're fucking killing us!
post #181 of 190
What is wrong with a wedged shape ?. It is clear that unless they come up with some form of advanced cooling, making things any thinner is going to compromise both performance and battery life. Air cooling is so so low tech, people.
MBP 2.4UB 500HD , MBA Gen1 1.6/80HD MB 2.2SR 250HD PB 1.67 160HD iPhones Gen1 8G4G
MBP 2.4UB 500HD , MBA Gen1 1.6/80HD MB 2.2SR 250HD PB 1.67 160HD iPhones Gen1 8G4G
post #182 of 190
Yeah I'm still waiting for the superconductor-electromagnetic cooler flumbo jumbo, so that the nexp MBP will be .01 inches thin and run at Mac Pro speeds.

Come on Apple get your act together!
post #183 of 190
Oh, and I also want 24 hour battery life.
post #184 of 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nano2Gfteo View Post

What is wrong with a wedged shape ?. It is clear that unless they come up with some form of advanced cooling, making things any thinner is going to compromise both performance and battery life. Air cooling is so so low tech, people.

Yeah, and air cooling doesn't leak all over the place as soon as the warranty expires. Something I'm sure a lot of Powermac G5 owners have thought about in the last few years.
post #185 of 190
I should add to something said earlier in this thread, that the 9600M GT is not exactly a die shrink of the 8700M GT or 8600M GT (although they share all the important specs).

The 9600M GT supposedly shares the same G96 GPU with the desktop 9500GT card. It's sort of like 25% of a G92 GPU. The 9700M GT also uses G96, it's just higher clocked.

One interesting thing to note is that G96 is set for a die shrink to 55nm very soon.
post #186 of 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaple View Post

Hopefully it's coming August 5th...or 12th...

Soon, dammit! I am buying a new laptop in the next month or so and am hoping I can get a new update one but if they keep pushing it back, I will just get the last of the older ones
post #187 of 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

Yeah, and air cooling doesn't leak all over the place as soon as the warranty expires. Something I'm sure a lot of Powermac G5 owners have thought about in the last few years.

I'm not sure why Apple would pick the 65nm 9600M GT over the 55nm, 29 watt 9650M GS which is a noticeable amount faster.
post #188 of 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tauron View Post

I think you are pretty close there. I would not be surprised if the CPU clock rate is a little lower for the cheaper MBP and battery life will not likely go past 6 hours.

Also, they will hopefully include a CUDA-ready (or whatever apple equivalent will be called) NVIDIA video card.

I was right...

1. The new laptops are coming in September. I said this at MacRumors and they flamed me to a crisp saying I was deluded. Now there you have it. MacRumors suck too.

2. They may be coming with a CUDA ready or OpenCL ready MB like I said. I was hoping but not expecting this seeing that snow leopard is not due till next year.
post #189 of 190
(predicted) macbook specs

1. Enclosure to be made of aluminum

2. 2.3GHz and 2.6GHz procesor speeds

3. 2GB RAM standard on all models

4. all modles 14" LED backlit dispaly

5. white models will have white keys, premium black model will have black keys.
(still same scrable tile shape!)

6. shipping with apple remote (made of aluminum)

7. intel x4500 intergrated grafics

8. 800MHz FSB

9. 3 x USB

10. 1 x FW 400

11. mini DVI (adapter included. Mini DVI to VGA)

12. Magsafe

13. backlit apple logo!

14. magnetic latch

15. NO blu ray or hd dvd

16. smaller box!

look at

http://www.apple.com/environment/

apple themself say that the will stop using palstic in products and will use led displays!

tell me if you think im incorrect (in a nice way!) or if you think i have missed any thing !

Thanks
I hate 9 year olds with Ipods

What are they listening to, the Barbie Soundtrack???
I hate 9 year olds with Ipods

What are they listening to, the Barbie Soundtrack???
post #190 of 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJNY View Post

I'm hoping for the 17.1" panel from LG
Model LG171WU5 1920x1200
8-bit instead of 6-bit
16.7 million colors instead of 256K
RGB LED instead of white LED

http://www.electronista.com/articles...klit.17in.lcd/

LG Display on Thursday said it has started mass-producing the world's first notebook displays to be truly color-accurate. Using an RGB LED backlight versus the one-color backlights of other notebook displays, the 17.1-inch, 1920x1200 LCD pushes its color reproduction up to 105 percent, or about 40 percent more than a typical notebook display with a fluorescent backlight at the same size. The breakthrough should give AV professionals a display they can use for image editing and gamers a more vivid image, LG says........
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Montevina MBP MB Speculation Thread