or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Montevina MBP MB Speculation Thread

Montevina MBP MB Speculation Thread - Page 2

post #41 of 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by crocodile View Post

I wonder whether enough space has been liberated to allow Apple to create a much slimmer and lighter enclosure for the MacBook Pro. Losing a few millimeters thickness would surely reduce the overall weight. Add the new flat keyboard and a gesture-enabled trackpad and you get some idea as to how Apple could evolve the current design to provide some useful benefits.
Does anybody know about this or have a view?

A total redesign of MBP line will require Apple engineers to look several years ahead, given the length of history since the day of aluminum PowerBook. There maybe an intermediate minor updates such as keyboard, trackpad, possibly new LCD panels that can be housed in the same top cover, perhaps a bit contour on the shape, but not much on overall thickness. A new case redesign that involved thickness for thermal exchange, several components in current MBP need to be considered:

* thickness of super drive (not sure if pro line users are ready for external MBA super drive)
* thickness of DVI connector (moving toward lower profile HDMI or DisplayPort as some other emerging Montevina notebooks)
* thickness of LCD panel (moving toward thinner LED panels)

The redesigned case will need to cope with first generation Nehalem mobile chip (Auburndale, Clarksfield, 35W~45W Q3 2009) until Intel shift to 32nm Westmere (the Nehalem refresh, 25W~35W H1 2010). Thus the case redesign that involve overall thickness may commence around that time. The first Nehalem chip (45nm) will be built with a pair of Penryn cores that led to die size increase for mobile platform, it further suggests thermal challenge on thinner chassis than the current design.

The current MBP design will likely to support two iterations of Montevina refresh and first generation of Nehalem mobile chip.

* DC Intel T9600 Penryn 2.8GHz 1066MHz 6MB 35W (Montevina Update, Q2 2008)
* DC Intel T9800 Penryn 2.93GHz 1066MHz 6MB 35W (Montevina speedbump refresh, Q1 2009)
* QC Intel QX9300 Penryn 2.53GHz 1066MHz 12MB 45W (Montevina refresh BTO, Q1 2009)
* QC Intel Q9100 Penryn 2.26GHz 1066MHz 12MB 45W (Montevina refresh BTO, Q1 2009)
* DC Intel Auburndale 35W~45W (Calpella Update, Q3 2009)

The two QC chips mentioned above are just speculation since there are rumors suggesting that Intel will make one of those chip (Q9100) a 35W part. If the 35W QC chip indeed turn out to be an option, expect QC mobile computing before thinner case redesign take place.
post #42 of 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by alxths View Post

Is there really any need to make the MBP any thinner? An inch is a nice round number, and I feel like they could take the extra space and improve heat dissipation and hopefully fit a 9600m in there.

Definetly a good option
post #43 of 190
So basically,
We should expect an update to the MBP sometime in July?

I'm looking to update my 17" Powerbook 1.67Ghz in a few weeks
but I can go ahead and wait a little bit for this update.
If not I'll be happy with the 15" 2.4Ghz model.

As it is now...
The 15" 2.4Ghz sounds like a good deal at 2k's

Is there a reason to pay $500 more for the 2.5Ghz model over the 2.4Ghz?

What you guys think?

thanks for your help,
Charles
post #44 of 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastersonics View Post

So basically,

As it is now...

What you guys think?

thanks for your help,
Charles

The chipset will be out in July...MBP will be out in August/September.

What I want answered is...

Will the free itouch still be offered when the MBP is released? It's going on until Sept 15...

...Mac always releases around August/Early Sept.

Seems crazy to offer an itouch with an already new computer system.

What say you?
post #45 of 190
Quote:

Since you waited quite some time for this upgrade, it's best you wait at least until August 08 and see if Apple will release new Montevina MBP. If no update after August 08, your fall back plan would be just buying the current 15" MBP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikeddemus View Post

Seems crazy to offer an itouch with an already new computer system.
What say you?

Apple has done that before during Santa Rosa MBP with LED screen update back in June 5th, 2007 while the promotion was going on. It wouldn't be surprised if Apple will do that again in the future.
post #46 of 190
Quote:

So basically,

As it is now...

What you guys think?

thanks for your help,
Charles

I strongly recommend you to get the 8600M GT with 512MB. VRAM is good if you are doing video editing, particularly future-proofing for 3D apps, Core Image/ OpenCL driven apps, and PC/Mac/Crossover gaming. 2.5ghz 15" :-)
post #47 of 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

I strongly recommend you to get the 8600M GT with 512MB. VRAM is good if you are doing video editing, particularly future-proofing for 3D apps, Core Image/ OpenCL driven apps, and PC/Mac/Crossover gaming. 2.5ghz 15" :-)

hmm, barefeats doesn't show much difference between the 512 and 256mb versions of the 8600GT:

http://www.barefeats.com/mbpp02.html
"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
post #48 of 190
512MB is pretty much a waste for the 8600 GT's gimptastic engine.
post #49 of 190
Quote:

What I want answered is...

Will the free itouch still be offered when the MBP is released? It's going on until Sept 15...

What say you?

I say It's an iPod Touch!

Didn't we do this one a few days ago, for the nth time

3.4 GHz i7 iMac | 64GB iPhone 5 | 64GB iPad 3 | 16GB iPad mini

3.4 GHz i7 iMac | 64GB iPhone 5 | 64GB iPad 3 | 16GB iPad mini

post #50 of 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by bclapper View Post

I say It's an iPod Touch!

Didn't we do this one a few days ago, for the nth time

Itouch

itouch

iTouch

ITOUCH

and i never got an answer. I got snobs like you who think you're special because you memorize what the MacStore calls each object.

eat me.
post #51 of 190
When do you think we will see a quad-core MBP with a blu-ray burner?
Brock Samson: You didn't tell me Sasquatch was a... a dude.
Steve Summers: What, you couldn't tell?
Brock Samson: Not until I had to...[shudders] shave him.
Steve Summers: What are you, shy?...
Brock Samson: You didn't tell me Sasquatch was a... a dude.
Steve Summers: What, you couldn't tell?
Brock Samson: Not until I had to...[shudders] shave him.
Steve Summers: What are you, shy?...
post #52 of 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by mello View Post

When do you think we will see a quad-core MBP with a blu-ray burner?

Since quad-core mobile chips are scheduled for Q2 2009 (Q1 if you're lucky) and since Apple usually takes its time with using brand new mobile chips, I'd say August/September 2009 is a good bet.
If we are extremely lucky and all things fall perfectly into place we might get something like this in February/March 2009, but I wouldn't bet anything on this.

So in little more than a year from today, that's realistic I'd say.
post #53 of 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobBIT View Post

Since quad-core mobile chips are scheduled for Q2 2009 (Q1 if you're lucky) and since Apple usually takes its time with using brand new mobile chips, I'd say August/September 2009 is a good bet.
If we are extremely lucky and all things fall perfectly into place we might get something like this in February/March 2009, but I wouldn't bet anything on this.

So in little more than a year from today, that's realistic I'd say.

Intel will have quad-core mobile chips on the market in Q4 of this year. They just won't be Nehalem until mid-2009.
post #54 of 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

Intel will have quad-core mobile chips on the market in Q4 of this year. They just won't be Nehalem until mid-2009.

True, but what is still unclear is whether these non-Nehalem quad-cores are rated 45W or 35W.
Most seem to agree that 45W would be out of the question even for a 17" MBP since it runs too hot. It's suited only for 'mobile desktop' class machines.

The 35W part could just about be OK, but we don't know if that really happens, if Intel can pull this off in large enough quantities.

But then on the other hand why bother? Nehalem can run 2 threads simultaneously in one core, so with a dual core Nehalem you get 4 threads running concurrently, as many as in a quad-core Penryn which might not even happen at 35W.

What you really want is a quad-core Nehalem with 8 concurrent threads.
post #55 of 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by KamiNoYadoru View Post

512MB is pretty much a waste for the 8600 GT's gimptastic engine.

More video RAM is good for people who use large textures. So, if you're thinking of running a 30" or even 23-24" external monitor on your MBP, then go for the 512MB. If all you use is the internal display then it's a waste.
post #56 of 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobBIT View Post

What you really want is a quad-core Nehalem with 8 concurrent threads.

What I really want is a pair of eight-core Nehalems running a total of 32 threads. I've got videos to encode
post #57 of 190
Quote:

What I really want is a pair of eight-core Nehalems running a total of 32 threads. I've got videos to encode

Oh yes!

But that's not gonna happen in a MacBook Pro for at least another 3 years.
If you're lucky Mac Pros could be there somewhere this time next year! I fully expect quad-core Nehalem Mac Pros no later than Mac World 2009 and octo-core Nehalems about a year later.

Seems like the performance gap between mobile and desktop computers is going to widen again.
post #58 of 190
Nehalem generation will certainty be a great for desktop (Mac Pro) update during 2009, but not a very good option for mobile platform until Nehalem refresh (Westmere, 25W~35W) 32nm in H1 2010. That's the mobile Nehalem to wait for!

Before all processor update take place, let's hope we get DDR3L as option for Montenvina update. DDR3L is lowered to 1.35V from 1.5V according to JEDEC, another 20% saving in power. Source
post #59 of 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by HFU View Post

Nehalem generation will certainty be a great for desktop (Mac Pro) update during 2009, but not a very good option for mobile platform until Nehalem refresh (Westmere, 25W~35W) 32nm in H1 2010. That's the mobile Nehalem to wait for!

Before all processor update take place, let's hope we get DDR3L as option for Montenvina update. DDR3L is lowered to 1.35V from 1.5V according to JEDEC, another 20% saving in power. Source

But the effect on total system power consumption is tiny, and DDR3 prices are insane compared to DDR2.
post #60 of 190
Quote:

... and DDR3 prices are insane compared to DDR2.

DDR3 price will drop soon as Intel is subsidizing the cost to push PC manufactures migrate to DDR3. Additionally, it is cheaper to manufacture DDR3 now. Expect DDR3 price to fall within 10% of DDR2 price as mobile platforms pick up.
post #61 of 190
Quote:

DDR3 price will drop soon as Intel is subsidizing the cost to push PC manufactures migrate to DDR3. Additionally, it is cheaper to manufacture DDR3 now. Expect DDR3 price to fall within 10% of DDR2 price as mobile platforms pick up.

Do you have a link that says Intel will be subsidizing RAM? Of course the demand will be increasing dramatically over the next 12 months, and with it the supply, causing prices to eventually fall when the demand levels off. But that shafts the early adopters.
post #62 of 190
One thing I would like...

PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD...

curved front edges!!!

I get these horrendous lines on my wrists.. it's painful.. from the sharp front edge of the MBP and MB computers. I would much prefer a sloping, ergonomic, curved front edge.

And also, make the trackpad SMALLER. It's so big that I can't type without accidentally touching it, which is very annoying especially for gaming and web surfing.

They also really need to have dual firewire busses and dual USB busses. At least three if not four powered USB ports would be super nice. I would really like them to be noise free as well, since there have been lots of issues with noisy interference on the USB and mic ports on the MBP.

It should come with a DVI -> HDMI and DVI -> Svideo adapters.

I liked the keyboards and trackpad on the TiBook better. I liked titanium better as a material. What was wrong with titanium? Why can't we have titanium?

For god's sake use a 24-bit LCD panel!

BLU RAY BLU RAY BLU RAY BLU RAY BLU RAY!!!!
post #63 of 190
Quote:

Do you have a link that says Intel will be subsidizing RAM?

FYI. here and here. True, early adopters will pay higher premium.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkgoob View Post

And also, make the trackpad SMALLER. It's so big that I can't type without accidentally touching it, which is very annoying especially for gaming and web surfing.

Other points you mentioned seemed like what other would hope for. Though the smaller trackpad probably won't ever happen since the introduction of MBA. Apple introduced multi-touch trackpad which will only lead to larger trackpad for future MBP and MB.

Have you tried uncheck "Ignore accidental trackpad input" under System Preferences -> Keyboard and Mouse -> Trackpad? This helps a bit.
post #64 of 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJNY View Post

I'm hoping for the 17.1" panel from LG
Model LG171WU5 1920x1200
8-bit instead of 6-bit
16.7 million colors instead of 256K
RGB LED instead of white LED

Thanks BJNY for sharing this information. For those interested in product specification, please find PDF here. If 17" Montevina MBP release after the 15" MBP around Q3 2008, this will be the better LCD panel option.
post #65 of 190
Some preferred ATI solution and others preferred Nvidia offering. As Montevina MBP is approaching, speculation on various video cards emerged from other Montevina notebook vendors. These two GPUs are being used in Montevina notebook for 15" and 17" application. From the initial glance, both shared 55nm fabrication process. Here is brief feature set at glance:

ATI Mobility HD3600 Specs
* 378 million transistors using 55nm fabrication process
* Unified Superscalar shader architecture
* Microsoft® DirectX® 10.1
* OpenGL 2.0
* 128-bit DDR2/GDDR3/GDDR4 memory interface
* Native PCI Express 2.0 x16 bus interface
* ATI Avivo HD Video and Display architecture
* ATI PowerPlay 7.0 power management technology

Nvida 9650M GT
* 55nm fabrication process
* Up to 40% faster performance than the previous generation of GeForce 8M notebook
* New PureVideo® HD video processing for improved color and contrast
* Full support for the latest Blu-ray Profile 2.0 features and Blu-ray Live
* Extensive multi-display connectivity with support for all the latest display standards including DVI, HDMI 1.3, Display Port 1.1, and VGA
* Support for the new MXM version 3.0 graphics module specification

Consider the feature announcement of Snow Leopard (10.6), support of Nvidia CUDA in WWDC08 and recently announced ATI HD3870 for Mac Pro, which GPU do you think will likely be the candidate for pro line mobile platform update? If neither, please suggest which GPU would be included in Montevina MBP.
post #66 of 190
Doesn't the 3rd Quarter start July 1st?

I'd pay the extra $ if Apple were to offer this premium panel as an option [for this demanding photographer].
post #67 of 190
I got this:

Oct-Dec '07 = Q108
Jan-Mar '08 = Q208
Apr-Jun '08 = Q308
Jul-Sep '08 = Q408

from skwoytek from macrumors, and it sounds about right to me. If its to be believed, then 4Q starts VERY soon. I can't wait till 1Q 09 for Apple to release the Montevina MBP.
post #68 of 190
Hey.

While you're all speculating like I was last week,

I went out a bought a sick MBP.

wtf do you need that video card for? When did 512mb vc become shitty?

btw, this is the best machine I've ever come in contact with.

I LOVE THAT IT'S MINE!!! MWUAHAHA I'M FINALLY A MAC!!
post #69 of 190
Quote:

Hey.
While you're all speculating like I was last week,
I went out a bought a sick MBP.
wtf do you need that video card for? When did 512mb vc become shitty?
btw, this is the best machine I've ever come in contact with.

I LOVE THAT IT'S MINE!!! MWUAHAHA I'M FINALLY A MAC!!

Awesome. The first thing you should do is install Windows Vista in Bootcamp and play Crysis!!! Muah ah h ah h a LOL
post #70 of 190
Let's try to put thing into perspective here.
I know this is a 50% speculative perspective but let's try this
without going overboard and try to stay focus as much as possible.

We know about the the latest available MBP,

2.4/2.5 Ghz Processor with 800Mhz Bus
2GB/4GB RAM
256/512 VRAM
200GB/250GB HD's
Aluminum case (which I think it's beautiful)
etc....

What you guys think it will be the next upgrade to the MBP.
(Try to be keep it in the same way as I described it above.)

I think the new MBP will have:

1066 bus (like the new iMacs)
2GB/4GB RAM
512 VRAM
250GB HD
better display (maybe wide format)
HDMI connector
case redesign aesthetics (ala iMac)

I just want to have a better perspective
since I'm ready to buy a MBP but can easily wait for the upgrade.

thanks,
Charles
post #71 of 190
Quote:

Have you tried uncheck "Ignore accidental trackpad input" under System Preferences -> Keyboard and Mouse -> Trackpad? This helps a bit.

Of course I've tried that. It doesn't work at all...

I don't see the point of all these gestures and crap. I mean two-finger scrolling was only necessary because fools couldn't put a dang second mouse button. But they really think people want to learn gestures? Why?

I want to type on my dang computer without the mouse jobbling all over the dad-gum screen. I want to be able to use the trackpad without having to lift my other hand off of it because qqq, it's bigger than the screen itself.

You know, there was NOTHING wrong with the trackpad size of the PowerBook G4. You NEVER heard anyone complain and say it was too small. It was perfect!

IF IT AIN'T BROKE DON'T FIX IT!!
post #72 of 190
I just want a 256-bit video card (whether it be ATI or nVidia), new keyboard, new design and blu-ray
15.4" Glossy Macbook Pro, Santa Rosa 2.4Ghz, 4Gb DDR2 667, 160Gb HDD + 1Tb Time Capsule, 8Gb iPhone - Wireless redefines sexy!
15.4" Glossy Macbook Pro, Santa Rosa 2.4Ghz, 4Gb DDR2 667, 160Gb HDD + 1Tb Time Capsule, 8Gb iPhone - Wireless redefines sexy!
post #73 of 190
My only real hope is that it comes with an HDMI or DisplayPort connector. DVI is old. Its almost like using VGA. I know some of you prolly have old CRTs or something that need it, but get with the times.

Plus, all the cool kids are using Display Port

Blu-ray would be an unnecessary but welcome feature.

Most of all though, I just want to be able to fit the 15" MBP in my backpack comfortably. That's ultimately gonna be the deal breaker for me.
post #74 of 190
DVI vs. HDMI vs. Display port... it's all a matter of Apple's vision of what they think the future holds. There are a lot of DVI projectors and even more VGA-based projectors. What kind of adapters are there for HDMI to DVI or Display port to DVI? I am a big fan of the smaller connectors, but having to use a dongle is a pain in the butt!

On the matter at hand, Apple will probably update the MacBook Pro in August, at the earliest. I don't think Apple has made a major hardware announcement in the month of July since the heydays of the Javits Center Macworld.
You think Im an arrogant [expletive] who thinks hes above the law, and I think youre a slime bucket who gets most of his facts wrong. Steve Jobs
You think Im an arrogant [expletive] who thinks hes above the law, and I think youre a slime bucket who gets most of his facts wrong. Steve Jobs
post #75 of 190
um...it's still gonna have a 15" screen and it's not getting any bigger...does the current one fit? If so, shouldn't be a problem.
post #76 of 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHagan4755 View Post

DVI vs. HDMI vs. Display port... it's all a matter of Apple's vision of what they think the future holds. There are a lot of DVI projectors and even more VGA-based projectors. What kind of adapters are there for HDMI to DVI or Display port to DVI? I am a big fan of the smaller connectors, but having to use a dongle is a pain in the butt!

It's complicated. The DisplayPort video signal is not compatible with DVI/HDMI. However, if a company is still willing to pay the DVI/HDMI licensing fee, they can use Dual-mode DisplayPort, which passes the other video signal through. This would require a simple, cheap passive adapter (like the VGA adapters that exist for DVI-I ports). Most companies will do this and I guarantee you Apple will, for a few years at least. That is, assuming Apple adopts DisplayPort at all, which it should.

If a DisplayPort is not dual-mode (no DVI license fee), then it will require an active adapter to connect to a DVI/HDMI display. Also, VGA requires an active adapter, as does dual-link DVI since the DP connector can only optionally pass through the single-link signal.
post #77 of 190
It seems like the biggest step up in the next update will be graphics cards. Which do you guys think we'll have, and how do they perform. Let's use Crysis as an example.

So the three possibilities are:

Nvidia 9650M GS

Nvidia 9650M GT (predicted to be announced in the next few weeks)

ATI Mobility HD 3000

Only the 9650M GT is expected to be 256bit.. and people say Apple is always lagging behind with GPUs so maybe it's unlikely we'll get a 256bit card this time Right?
post #78 of 190
What i cannot work out from this thread is whether Apple will redesign the MacBook Pro or simply update the chip in the existing model. Whether they bump it or replace it with a new model, we have no idea when to expect it. It could be anywhere from July to August. How frustrating.

Appleinsider seems to think that brand new MBPs and MBs are due sometime this quarter. They may be wrong. I hope they're right.

I really think the MBP needs a new case now - same keyboard as every other Mac and a thinner, lighter enclosure for road warriors. If they good trim even a pound of weight off it, that would be great. I'd also like to see SSD drives offered as an option preferably 128Gb or 160 Gb drives, but only with a significant price drop versus current SSD option cost in MBA.

A lot of people think that the current MBP is perfect as it is. I do not. I think it is a behemoth.
post #79 of 190
post #80 of 190
The keyboard is a given, magnetic latch is a must, and if they're gonna add those two then they might as well make whatever small adjustments to the case they've been considering. I wouldn't mind if they added a few mm for the sake of better bits inside, and they should curve the wristpad areas because they can really dig into your hands after a while.

I'd be very VERY happy with 5mm thicker, more curved, black anodised MBP with a 9650M GT. Likelihood?
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Montevina MBP MB Speculation Thread