or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › iPhone 3G's third sensor; Sydney store official; Radeon HD 3870
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

iPhone 3G's third sensor; Sydney store official; Radeon HD 3870

post #1 of 23
Thread Starter 
The mystery third sensor in the new iPhone has allegedly been revealed, but it's not what some have expected. Also, Apple's first Australian store opens its doors next week, and AMD has unveiled a dual-mode Radeon HD card that works with both Macs and PCs.

iPhone 3G's third sensor confirmed?

Rumors of a third iPhone sensor requiring case redesigns are accurate but aren't quite what users had hoped for, iLounge now claims.

While it's purportedly true that case manufacturers had to clear additional room at the top front of the phone for a new sensor, the equipment is said to be a second proximity sensor rather than a hoped-for front video camera. The extra component would more accurately gauge whether or not a user's face is close enough to shut off the screen and save power.

The initial iPhone's one-sensor design hasn't always detected the user properly, according to the report.

Sydney Apple Store to open next week

Apple has announced the official opening of Apple Store Sydney for Thursday, June 19th, at 5PM.

The store is Apple's first in the southern Pacific nation and will also be one of the biggest even after a future Melbourne store, with the outlet at the corner of George and King occupying three stories and 14,370 square feet.

The opening also arrives nearly three weeks before the July 11th debut of the iPhone 3G in the country.

AMD unwraps Radeon HD 3870 for Macs

AMD on Thursday lived up to recent rumors and introduced its new ATI Radeon HD 3870 for Mac & PC.

As suggested by the name, the add-in video card is designed to work both in Mac Pro workstations as well as in conventional Windows PCs, while the cards available through Apple itself typically run only with Macs. The card is said to perform twice as well in performance-per-watt tests than the Windows-exclusive Radeon HD 2900 XT card of last year.

The card should be available through resellers in late June for $219 and will support dual 30-inch Apple Cinema Displays.
post #2 of 23
Quote:
The initial iPhone's one-sensor design hasn't always detected the user properly, according to the report.

Really?

My 4GB iPhone's proximity sensor--and nearly everything else on this spectacular piece of hardware--works magnificently.

I look like a tool sitting there moving my iPhone to and from my face, watching the display promptly disappear and reappear as it's supposed to.

Every time I use my iPhone I get the same feeling I get when I watch a 747 take off: Wow.
post #3 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

...According to the large opening around the speaker, Apple seems to have placed two Proximity sensors...

w00t I got another prediction correct.
Two feathers in my hat
bb
Reply
bb
Reply
post #4 of 23
i never had any problems with the proximity sensor, when the iphone's close to my head it turns the display off, always...
vista = virus inside switch to apple
Reply
vista = virus inside switch to apple
Reply
post #5 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post


Every time I use my iPhone I get the same feeling I get when I watch a 747 take off: Wow.

Very nicely put!
post #6 of 23
Apple's European store moves is like watching a snail move. I don't buy any excuses. Steve needs a good slap!
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #7 of 23
To repeat what I just said on another forum:
I hope they include support in the API for the proximity sensors.
If there are two proximity sensors, I presume it is possible to calculate the position of a hand in 2 axis.
Various gestures, pocket theremin etc
What distance do the sensors work does anyone know? or are they super short range?
post #8 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

... pocket theremin...

if you used the theremin while your iPhone was set to vibrate,
would that be considered a good vibration?
post #9 of 23
How does this new ATI card stack up against the 8800 now shipping?
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
Reply
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
Reply
post #10 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

How does this new ATI card stack up against the 8800 now shipping?

I would guess not as good as 8800 for games, but in the short term probably better than 8800 for any apps that use Core Image and Core Video. 8800 performance did go up quite a bit with 10.5.3, but it still can't beat the X1900 or X2600 in pro apps.

It looks like Bare Feats is going to post benchmarks in the next few days.
post #11 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Apple's European store moves is like watching a snail move. I don't buy any excuses. Steve needs a good slap!

Dunno, we've got plenty here in the UK thanks.

Two of them local to me in Manchester even.
post #12 of 23
Woooo! Sydney store. Who's lining up?
How is a raven like a writers desk?
Reply
How is a raven like a writers desk?
Reply
post #13 of 23
I just had a thought.

Theoretically a video phone app could be madepossible on the current iphone. If you held the front face of the phone up to a mirror you could simultaneously record yourself and view a reflection of the screen (the incoming video stream could be displayed in reverse so that the image appears normally in the mirror). Alternatively someone could just make a mini periscope for the iphone's camera and, voila, front facing camera.

Not very practical but possible nonetheless.
post #14 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by quinney View Post

if you used the theremin while your iPhone was set to vibrate,
would that be considered a good vibration?

Brilliant!
post #15 of 23
The tough decision for including a video camera is should it go on the backside which makes it more home-video friendly; or should the camera go on the frontside facing the user which makes it more video-conference-call friendly? Or would Apple have to include two video cameras?
post #16 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by carloblackmore View Post

The tough decision for including a video camera is should it go on the backside which makes it more home-video friendly; or should the camera go on the frontside facing the user which makes it more video-conference-call friendly? Or would Apple have to include two video cameras?

Being in the U.S., I'm ignorant to the current trends in 3G and beyond. But watching worldwide devices, it appears dual cameras is de-facto standard for them. This enables video calls. My question is, how prevalent are the actual calls, themselves? Is this something folks overseas (or if you're reading this from outside U.S., underseas?) are doing like crazy? I've never had the opportunity, but don't feel like I'd be using as more of a novelty. But my business doesn't require, and nobody has run into my mother-in-law yet and told her I'd really like to meet her daughter, so maybe I'm just not the right demo.

Interested in anyone's thoughts, as well as any buying-decision impact single camera/no video calls might have on new iPhone.
post #17 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

AMD unwraps Radeon HD 3870 for Macs

AMD on Thursday lived up to recent rumors and introduced its new ATI Radeon HD 3870 for Mac & PC.....


I guess it is nice that AMD/ATI is releasing the card but aren't they about to ship the 4800 series for the Windows/Vista platform? It seems once again they are a day late and a dollar short.

Do you use MagicJack?

The default settings will automatically charge your credit card each year for service renewal. You will not be notified or warned in anyway. You can turn auto renewal off.

Reply

Do you use MagicJack?

The default settings will automatically charge your credit card each year for service renewal. You will not be notified or warned in anyway. You can turn auto renewal off.

Reply
post #18 of 23
I was hoping for a digital compass. Am I correct in assuming that the current and 3g iPhones cannot determine what direction the device is facing?
post #19 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by carloblackmore View Post

The tough decision for including a video camera is should it go on the backside which makes it more home-video friendly; or should the camera go on the frontside facing the user which makes it more video-conference-call friendly? Or would Apple have to include two video cameras?

My old LG phone was a flip open model and the camera was on the hinge allowing it to rotate front or back. Since the iPhone is a completely different design this functionality is not possible, but it would be cool if it could flip around somehow inside. I kind of think that two cameras would be cheaper and less problematic though.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #20 of 23
I'm not convinced that it is ANOTHER proximity sensor. It doesn't make sense. I have not heard of a single complaint about unintended face inputs.

Pure speculation, but I think that it IS a conferencing camera, but Apple simply chooses not to enable it yet. That will come in the next rev of firmware. They are keeping it under wraps and the proximity sensor makes a good story. Why wait? Perhaps they want to get MobileMe up and running, and get both Apple and 3G carriers' capacity and bandwidth nailed down before they enable what I believe will be the Killer App that finally decimates the competition: VideoPhone via IChat/MobileMe. Those of us who went to Disneyland in the 60's and sat in the booths in Tomorrowland to play with ATT's version will know what I'm talking about. It would make a great Apple ad comparing that vintage footage vs the iPhone in the palm of your hand!

Perhaps next year, Rev 3 of the firmware will enable the camera. Paid upgrade ($49?) for users wanting the video conferencing capability. What a great suprise to owners of V2 devices!! Videoconferencin WITHOUT having to buy a new iPhone!!

The above is pure speculation on my part, but I wonder... :-)
post #21 of 23
I know quite a few people with 3G phones here in England but have only ever met one person who claims to make regular video calls. The real benefit is faster data

3.4 GHz i7 iMac | 64GB iPhone 5 | 64GB iPad 3 | 16GB iPad mini

Reply

3.4 GHz i7 iMac | 64GB iPhone 5 | 64GB iPad 3 | 16GB iPad mini

Reply
post #22 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by dev View Post

I'm not convinced that it is ANOTHER proximity sensor. It doesn't make sense. I have not heard of a single complaint about unintended face inputs.

Pure speculation, but I think that it IS a conferencing camera, but Apple simply chooses not to enable it yet. That will come in the next rev of firmware. They are keeping it under wraps and the proximity sensor makes a good story. Why wait? Perhaps they want to get MobileMe up and running, and get both Apple and 3G carriers' capacity and bandwidth nailed down before they enable what I believe will be the Killer App that finally decimates the competition: VideoPhone via IChat/MobileMe. Those of us who went to Disneyland in the 60's and sat in the booths in Tomorrowland to play with ATT's version will know what I'm talking about. It would make a great Apple ad comparing that vintage footage vs the iPhone in the palm of your hand!

Perhaps next year, Rev 3 of the firmware will enable the camera. Paid upgrade ($49?) for users wanting the video conferencing capability. What a great suprise to owners of V2 devices!! Videoconferencin WITHOUT having to buy a new iPhone!!

The above is pure speculation on my part, but I wonder... :-)

Here is hoping
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
Reply
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
Reply
post #23 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Sydney Apple Store to open next week

Apple has announced the official opening of Apple Store Sydney for Thursday, June 19th, at 5PM.

The store is Apple's first in the southern Pacific nation and will also be one of the biggest even after a future Melbourne store, with the outlet at the corner of George and King occupying three stories and 14,370 square feet.

The opening also arrives nearly three weeks before the July 11th debut of the iPhone 3G in the country.

Sydney has been asked to sign a non disclosure agreement.

Pedestrians will need to be escorted past the corner of King & George Streets.

To those of you who think this is a little harsh, as an Apple shareholder I support Apple's right to maintain IP on the idea of having a store with products inside that they "sell" to members of the public who "enter" that store.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › iPhone 3G's third sensor; Sydney store official; Radeon HD 3870