or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple's worldwide notebook share approaching 5 percent
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple's worldwide notebook share approaching 5 percent

post #1 of 24
Thread Starter 
The worldwide market for notebook computers shrank 6 percent during the first quarter of 2008, but the effects of the squeeze were nowhere to be found at Mac maker Apple Inc., which saw sales rise 7 percent to boost its position in the global rankings for the first time in about a year.

Data released this week by DisplaySearch ranked Apple 7th amongst the world's largest notebook manufacturers, up from the 8th position it's held since the first quarter of 2007. The firm now estimates the company's global share at 4.6 percent, thanks to sales of more than 1.43 million portable systems during the three-month period ending March, an increase of 61 percent year-over-year.

Apple wasn't the only notebook maker who managed to buck the historic trend that has seen unit volumes decline quarter-to-quarter from the fourth calendar quarter to the first, noted John Jacobs, Director of Notebook Market Research at DisplaySearch.

"Dell, perhaps as a result of an increased focus on retail and Greater China, as well as Toshiba, avoided this trend," he said. "Also of particular note were Apple’s 7 percent and Samsung’s 15 percent [quarterly] growth. Apple’s entry-level notebook starts at more than $1,000, while Samsung, at present, only sells notebooks in Asia-Pacific, Europe, the Middle East and Africa, and greater China."

Overall, HP remained No. 1 in the notebook PC market for the seventh consecutive quarter, maintaining a lead of almost 2 million units over Dell. But Acer, which recently acquired Gateway and Packard Bell, is fast approaching the No. 2 slot, having sold just 156,000 units less than Dell in the first quarter.



Meanwhile, DisplaySearch said the most popular panel size and resolution continues to be 15.4" 1280 × 800, which accounted for almost 50 percent of all notebook PCs shipped in the quarter. In a distant second position was 14.1" 1280 × 800 with 22 percent share, though in China and the Asia Pacific countries, 14.1” notebook PCs had twice as much share.

Looking further into 2008, the research firm said it expects notebook PC shipments to continue to grow, with total units likely exceeding 135 million units for the year.

post #2 of 24
Asus may push Apple back to 8th it it can't get ahead of Fujitusu next year. Those Eee PCs are cheap and popular.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #3 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The worldwide market for notebook computers shrank 6 percent during the first quarter of 2008,

Am I mistaken, or does the table state that the companies in that list sold 35% more than the previous year?
post #4 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by fpsanders View Post

Am I mistaken, or does the table state that the companies in that list sold 35% more than the previous year?

Yeah, that is what I thought at first. I think, however, the 6% shrinkage was between Q4 '07 and Q1 '08 (for which there was no chart). On the other hand, the year to year result shows significant growth, if that chart is correct.
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
Reply
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
Reply
post #5 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by fpsanders View Post

Am I mistaken, or does the table state that the companies in that list sold 35% more than the previous year?

Yeah, I don't get it either.
post #6 of 24
Confusing info on AI, how completely unfamiliar.
I don't see how an anti M$ stance can be seen as a bad thing on an Apple forum I really can't!

nagromme - According to Amazon: "SpongBob Typing Tutor" is outselling Windows
Reply
I don't see how an anti M$ stance can be seen as a bad thing on an Apple forum I really can't!

nagromme - According to Amazon: "SpongBob Typing Tutor" is outselling Windows
Reply
post #7 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post

Confusing info on AI, how completely unfamiliar.

It really appears as if the writer did not realize she was working with two different data sets...
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
Reply
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
Reply
post #8 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

It really appears as if the writer did not realize she was working with two different data sets...

Well, Apple's increase was still more than the average... so I guess that is good, but this:

Quote:
which saw sales surge over 60 percent to boost its position in the global rankings for the first time in about a year.

still sounds a bit silly.
post #9 of 24
The "6% shrank" must be in comparison to the fourth quarter of 2007
Cubist
Reply
Cubist
Reply
post #10 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post

Confusing info on AI, how completely unfamiliar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

It really appears as if the writer did not realize she was working with two different data sets...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpsanders View Post

Well, Apple's increase was still more than the average... so I guess that is good, but this:



still sounds a bit silly.

You guys are right. The opening paragraph merged two incompatible data sets. I've corrected it.

Sorry,

K
EIC- AppleInsider.com
Questions and comments to : kasper@appleinsider.com
Reply
EIC- AppleInsider.com
Questions and comments to : kasper@appleinsider.com
Reply
post #11 of 24
Would be nice to see a chart like this with revenue, rather than units sold.
post #12 of 24
Analysts are dumb...

The fundamental reason that Q4 quarterly sales are higher than Q1 quarterly sales is... wait for it... Christmas! Yep, turns out people buy more in Dec for that little event...

These same "experts" were also surprised that Oct sales were lower than Sept missing a little thing called back to school... duh.
20" Intel iMac - Airport eXtream N - 16gb Black iPhone - Apple TV
Reply
20" Intel iMac - Airport eXtream N - 16gb Black iPhone - Apple TV
Reply
post #13 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Restalot View Post

Analysts are dumb...

The fundamental reason that Q4 quarterly sales are higher than Q1 quarterly sales is... wait for it... Christmas! Yep, turns out people buy more in Dec for that little event...

These same "experts" were also surprised that Oct sales were lower than Sept missing a little thing called back to school... duh.

I think everybody gets that. The point was that Apple, Dell and Toshiba bucked this normal and expected trend to sell MORE in Q1 than in the previous Q4 (despite the overall 6% decline). This is certainly something to note.
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
Reply
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
Reply
post #14 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveK9 View Post

Would be nice to see a chart like this with revenue, rather than units sold.

...Or, if you really want to make Apple look good, they could chart it by profit from computer sales!
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
Reply
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
Reply
post #15 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Meanwhile, DisplaySearch said the most popular panel size and resolution continues to be 15.4" 1280 × 800, which accounted for almost 50 percent of all notebook PCs shipped in the quarter

And yet there is no 15" MacBook

C'Mon - I want a 15" BlackBook Steve

3.4 GHz i7 iMac | 64GB iPhone 5 | 64GB iPad 3 | 16GB iPad mini

Reply

3.4 GHz i7 iMac | 64GB iPhone 5 | 64GB iPad 3 | 16GB iPad mini

Reply
post #16 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider

Meanwhile, DisplaySearch said the most popular panel size and resolution continues to be 15.4" 1280 × 800, which accounted for almost 50 percent of all notebook PCs shipped in the quarter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclapper View Post

And yet there is no 15" MacBook


Yup. I've been saying this since... oh, I dunno... forever. Check my sig.

Maybe someday Steve will figure out that it's a not such a great idea to try to force ppl up to an MB Pro and a $2000 price point just to get the most popular/standard screen size (yah, we know... there are other bennies to the MB Pro... but what if you just want the decent-sized screen?). This something that's probably turned off more than a few potential switchers, and makes not a few of even the Apple faithful unhappy.

Unfortunately, I don't think they'll do it (15" MacBook) until it's about two years past stunningly obvious... prolly right around the time that 17" has become the standard size.

Also, looking at the sales chart in the article, I had been more than half expecting Apple's worldwide Y-over-Y notebook sales increases to leave the PC notebook makers in the dust. But they're not, quite... Asus' and Lenovo's notebook sales are growing about as fast as Apple's, and even ginormous HP and Dell are making big gains. Even with the Vista albatross 'round their necks? Ugh.

So maybe Apple is leaving too many sales on the table in the name of margins uber alles? Bears watching.

Apologistas, paint it how you will, but a 15" MacBook is overdue. \

Wouldn't want 13.3" to go away completely (some ppl like it, though obviously not the majority, as DisplaySearch confirms above), but seems obvious that a lot of ppl would want the option of 15" in the MB line.


.
Cut-copy-paste, MMS, landscape keyboard, video-recording, voice-calling, and more... FINALLY
To the 'We Didn't Need It' Crowd/Apple Apologista Squad : Wrong again, lol
Thanks for listening to your...
Reply
Cut-copy-paste, MMS, landscape keyboard, video-recording, voice-calling, and more... FINALLY
To the 'We Didn't Need It' Crowd/Apple Apologista Squad : Wrong again, lol
Thanks for listening to your...
Reply
post #17 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBaggins View Post

Yup. I've been saying this since... oh, I dunno... forever. Check my sig.

My dream laptop would be the MacBook Trail:

12" LED-lit LCD with MacBook style hinge
External, optional DVD player/recorder
250 Gig HDD - option of solid state 250 GB SATA drive when Samsung starts shipping
High impact, lightweight non-glare plastic case for superior WiFi broadcast and reception. Stop blocking the WiFi signal with metal! Even a retro look back to the 165 or 180 texture/color would be welcomed - anything different than metal, which Apple has been shipping now for almost 7 years.
2 USB 2.0, 1 1394a, 1 mini-DVI, 1-10/100/1G Ethernet, 1 headphone, 1 external speaker ports, 1 security port (obviously, power port required)
A combo slot accommodating both CF & SD memory cards
Easily replaceable HDD & RAM, just like the MacBook design
Easily swappable battery & 2 battery bays
Two-button grown-up hardware mouse (it should not take two hands to do in OS X what it takes one finger to do in Windows)
Camera & Mic built in
Optional graphics upgrade

Small footprint & light weight are the design goals - instead of worrying about the thickness, worry more about the length x width + height. Nobody's really had to worry about thickness since around 1996, when laptops were 3-1/2" to 4" thick. This all changed awhile ago. The MBA attacks a non-issue.

I agree that there should be a 15" MacBook. The 13" platform is goofy - it's nowhere as nice as the 15 but for travelers, it still gets interfered with by the seat back tray. So, it's the worst of both worlds.

There should be a 15" & a 12" MacBook - the 15" would be the full featured MB unit - still a step down from the 15" MB Pro - and the 12" unit would be the MacBook Trail, made for the uber traveler... who needs full featured IO, long battery up time and extra storage in a small footprint, lightweight travel companion.
Hot tub blonde, pouring champagne: "Say when..." Dangerfield: "Right after this drink."
Reply
Hot tub blonde, pouring champagne: "Say when..." Dangerfield: "Right after this drink."
Reply
post #18 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBaggins View Post

Also, looking at the sales chart in the article, I had been more than half expecting Apple's worldwide Y-over-Y notebook sales increases to leave the PC notebook makers in the dust.

Wouldn't want 13.3" to go away completely (some ppl like it, though obviously not the majority, as DisplaySearch confirms above),

Apple may not be leaving the others "in the dust" but their sales are still growing at nearly twice the rate of 'the rest' of the manufacturers.

Of course DisplaySearch confirms that 15" screens are the most popular. They are the cheapest!

As an example take a look at HP's site (where they conveniently group by screen size). Their 15" screen notebook range is the cheapest of all. They are all cheaper than the MacBook, share the same screen res, slower processors etc.

Interesting to note that Sony seems to be growing the slowest.
post #19 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by piot View Post

Apple may not be leaving the others "in the dust" but their sales are still growing at nearly twice the rate of 'the rest' of the manufacturers.

Meh. In a market where Vista is bombing so hard, Asus and Lenovo probably shouldn't be growing as fast as Apple. Sorry-old-Dell shouldn't be within shouting distance of Apple's growth either. Let's face it, Apple's a wee bit too much in love with their high margins. I think it could end up being a bit dangerous actually, considering that the US is entering or already in a recession, and Apple is pretty US-centric in its sales profile. \


Quote:
Of course DisplaySearch confirms that 15" screens are the most popular. They are the cheapest!

Awesome! So slap one in a MacBook and call it a day!


.
Cut-copy-paste, MMS, landscape keyboard, video-recording, voice-calling, and more... FINALLY
To the 'We Didn't Need It' Crowd/Apple Apologista Squad : Wrong again, lol
Thanks for listening to your...
Reply
Cut-copy-paste, MMS, landscape keyboard, video-recording, voice-calling, and more... FINALLY
To the 'We Didn't Need It' Crowd/Apple Apologista Squad : Wrong again, lol
Thanks for listening to your...
Reply
post #20 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBaggins View Post

Meh. In a market where Vista is bombing so hard, Asus and Lenovo probably shouldn't be growing as fast as Apple.

Vista, XP or whatever is irrelevant. The whole PC market is not going to stumble just because Vista is perceived as a dog. People who need computers are still going to buy them.

Quote:
(re 15" most popular)Awesome! So slap one in a MacBook and call it a day!

You missed the point! People are buying because of the price, not the screen size. If the cheapest PC laptops were all 13" screens ... then 50% of folk would probably be buying them.

Look TB, I have no argument that there may be a gap in Apple's notebook line up. Just like there is the 'xMac' gap in the desktops. However I get tired of people complaining that Apple obviously doesn't know what they are doing and they are continuously "shooting themselves in the foot". Especially when the figures prove completely the opposite.
post #21 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by piot View Post

Vista, XP or whatever is irrelevant. The whole PC market is not going to stumble just because Vista is perceived as a dog. People who need computers are still going to buy them.


'Irrelevant'? You must be missing a lot of Apple's ads and marketing strategy, then. They really hammer home what a dog Vista is every chance they get (rightly so).





Quote:
You missed the point! People are buying because of the price, not the screen size. If the cheapest PC laptops were all 13" screens ... then 50% of folk would probably be buying them.


Chicken and the egg... is 15" popular because it's cheap, or is it cheap because it's popular?


Quote:
Look TB, I have no argument that there may be a gap in Apple's notebook line up. Just like there is the 'xMac' gap in the desktops.


Cool, 'cuz there sure is a gap in both places. \


Quote:
However I get tired of people complaining that Apple obviously doesn't know what they are doing and they are continuously "shooting themselves in the foot". Especially when the figures prove completely the opposite.


The problem is that "success covers a great many flaws". Yep, Apple's doing well right now, and I'm very happy that they are. But that doesn't mean they can't do even better.

Apple's growth is good now... imagine what it'd be if they 1) plugged a couple of the most obvious holes in their product line-up, and 2) got even moderately more aggressive on pricing/margins? They'd leave all the PC makers in the dust growth-wise, not just some as it is now.

But, of course, the second you suggest such a course of action, you get accused of 1) wanting Apple to become Dell, i.e. 'all things to all people', and 2) of wanting Apple to become eMachines. Even though both accusations are of course ridiculous exaggerations, and even though these really aren't black or white 'either or' types of decisions. Apple won't become Dell if they make a 15" MacBook or a mid-tower, and they won't become eMachines if they hit a few pricepoints.

Whatev. Apple has mousy worldwide marketshare, even with the recent growth. Changing that in a major way will require bold action, not niche products, excessive margin-love, and silly rationalizations.

I think Steve eventually will get more aggressive (sometime after the iPhone has settled in worldwide), but it's going to take a loooong time. As always, he's much more comfortable with the market moving towards him than the other way 'round.


.
Cut-copy-paste, MMS, landscape keyboard, video-recording, voice-calling, and more... FINALLY
To the 'We Didn't Need It' Crowd/Apple Apologista Squad : Wrong again, lol
Thanks for listening to your...
Reply
Cut-copy-paste, MMS, landscape keyboard, video-recording, voice-calling, and more... FINALLY
To the 'We Didn't Need It' Crowd/Apple Apologista Squad : Wrong again, lol
Thanks for listening to your...
Reply
post #22 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBaggins View Post

But, of course, the second you suggest such a course of action, you get accused of 1) wanting Apple to become Dell, i.e. 'all things to all people', and 2) of wanting Apple to become eMachines. Even though both accusations are of course ridiculous exaggerations,

Yes, ridiculous and no one makes them. Mostly it's 3) Apple has designed a well positioned product lineup that plays to their strengths and minimizes their weaknesses while getting industry leading ASPs and margins.

There is a reason that the MB is set up the way it is. To both maximize value with a C2D as the low end of the lineup while providing a reason to upsell to a MBP.

Screen size and GPU are the only significant differences between the two.

Quote:
Apple won't become Dell if they make a 15" MacBook or a mid-tower, and they won't become eMachines if they hit a few pricepoints.

A 15" Macbook or mid-tower is more easily compared to a $500 Dell laptop/mid-tower and their price points are geared to reinforce their branding.

Quote:
Whatev. Apple has mousy worldwide marketshare, even with the recent growth.

But lion sized mindshare and profits. This allows them to do things Dell and HP wish they could try and succeed at. Like ipods Like iphones. Like world class application suites from ilife to final cut. Like thier own operating system (that doesn't suck...HPUX was the bane of the unix world IMHO).
post #23 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinea View Post

Yes, ridiculous and no one makes them.

Absolutely untrue. I've been accused of wanting Apple to be "Dell/eMachines/insert-a-PC-maker-of-your-choice-here" on multiple occasions, both on AI and elsewhere. Have also seen it done to not a few other people. It's been getting better of late, but still happens from time to time, unfortunately.


Quote:
Mostly it's 3) Apple has designed a well positioned product lineup that plays to their strengths and minimizes their weaknesses while getting industry leading ASPs and margins.

I like Apple's product line, just think it needs to expand a bit. And one can overdo it on the margins side.


Quote:
There is a reason that the MB is set up the way it is.

To drive away potential switchers?

Ok, to be fair, Apple is getting a decent amount of switchers. But that's more due to the move to Intel/Windows-compatibility and the iPod 'halo effect'. Imagine how many more switchers Apple could have if the product line-up and pricing were just a bit more ameniable to it?


Quote:
A 15" Macbook or mid-tower is more easily compared to a $500 Dell laptop/mid-tower

Wha?? Both Apple products would likely be in the $1200-1500 range. Are you saying that Apple is priced 2.5 to 3 times higher than Dell?


Quote:
But lion sized mindshare and profits. This allows them to do things Dell and HP wish they could try and succeed at. Like ipods Like iphones. Like world class application suites from ilife to final cut. Like thier own operating system (that doesn't suck...HPUX was the bane of the unix world IMHO).

I'm sure Jean Louis-Gasee, Sculley, Spindler, et al kept telling themselves some variation of that during the 'fat cat margins' days of the late '80s/early '90s.

And it probably wouldn't matter much someone like Dell made Apple-like margins... they wouldn't re-invest their increased profits into signficant R&D, they see themselves as a box-maker and component-assembler, pretty much.



.
Cut-copy-paste, MMS, landscape keyboard, video-recording, voice-calling, and more... FINALLY
To the 'We Didn't Need It' Crowd/Apple Apologista Squad : Wrong again, lol
Thanks for listening to your...
Reply
Cut-copy-paste, MMS, landscape keyboard, video-recording, voice-calling, and more... FINALLY
To the 'We Didn't Need It' Crowd/Apple Apologista Squad : Wrong again, lol
Thanks for listening to your...
Reply
post #24 of 24
that good ideas..then they have enough founds to design better ipods
God i am so tied doing this mess!
My niche site CheapOnlineGlasses
Reply
God i am so tied doing this mess!
My niche site CheapOnlineGlasses
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple's worldwide notebook share approaching 5 percent