or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Mobile Me No notes or to-do sync :(
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mobile Me No notes or to-do sync :(

post #1 of 16
Thread Starter 
I was very disappointed that Mobile Me does not seem to sync notes or to-do lists with Mail or Outlook let alone the iPhone. Why would Apple leave these things out?
post #2 of 16
Because technically both are synched via IMAP as it is so its not completely necessary yet. Apple could write an app on the iPhone to access this info from the IMAP account. No need for MobileMe to have it.

But - I do have good news: We're an all-Mac development company that has primarily focused on mobile devices for the last 8 years and have a multi-award PIM that we are re-designing for the iPhone from the ground up. And it provides full OTA sync. We should have it ready soon.
post #3 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akac View Post

Because technically both are synched via IMAP as it is so its not completely necessary yet. Apple could write an app on the iPhone to access this info from the IMAP account. No need for MobileMe to have it.

But - I do have good news: We're an all-Mac development company that has primarily focused on mobile devices for the last 8 years and have a multi-award PIM that we are re-designing for the iPhone from the ground up. And it provides full OTA sync. We should have it ready soon.

Are you doing external beta's? I'm about to give EverNote a try after considering SOHO organizer a disappointment, but i don't think it is going to have the to-do capability from what I have seen so far. I haven't liked anything much yet.
.
Reply
.
Reply
post #4 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiro View Post

Are you doing external beta's? I'm about to give EverNote a try after considering SOHO organizer a disappointment, but i don't think it is going to have the to-do capability from what I have seen so far. I haven't liked anything much yet.

Take a look at http://pocketinformant.com/ to get an idea of what our Windows Mobile version looks like. Click here for a preview of our blackberry version:
http://webis.net/products_info.php?p...bb&_debug=true (debug=true is necessary to get to a hidden product page).

It'll give you some ideas of what we're doing.
post #5 of 16
I think this is a great opportunitiy for 3rd party peoples to write great notes, ideas, concept-mindmap edward-de-bono stuff and keep their ideas all synced.

Kinda like, your brain, feelings, ideas, wherever you go, organised. I tried using Twitter for this with limited but interesting success.

Push notification services, 3rd party apps, I reckon the stage is set. All the best to all developers, let's DO THIS YEAH.
post #6 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akac View Post

Because technically both are synched via IMAP as it is so its not completely necessary yet. Apple could write an app on the iPhone to access this info from the IMAP account. No need for MobileMe to have it.

How do you sync them with IMAP? Well it would be nice for Apple to allow it.
post #7 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by imacFP View Post

How do you sync them with IMAP? Well it would be nice for Apple to allow it.

Just like any normal IMAP folder. Its nothing special. But the folders are not setup for viewing in mail clients.

The point is that Apple could access that info easily.
post #8 of 16
I to think not having notes and a "to do" list is a major miss! In the past when many were debating the phone being a business tool, it did not matter. Now that there is an appeal to the business community, it is sorely missed. It has been one of my bigger disappoints to the iPhone. I am praying that some third party developer is on the case.... No way Apple was listening to customers on this matter.... Then again, maybe they do not care.
post #9 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by tutumiles1 View Post

I to think not having notes and a "to do" list is a major miss! In the past when many were debating the phone being a business tool, it did not matter. Now that there is an appeal to the business community, it is sorely missed. It has been one of my bigger disappoints to the iPhone. I am praying that some third party developer is on the case.... No way Apple was listening to customers on this matter.... Then again, maybe they do not care.


I think Apple feels that its better taken care of by third party apps. And honestly I'm glad. Our entire business is focused on mobile professionals. Our Windows Mobile software is even packaged with Franklin Covey's Plan Plus for Outlook.

So you can imagine how happy I am to be able to bring this to the iPhone - both for myself, my wife, and all the other people out there. Its funny - 40% of our Windows Mobile private beta users have moved to the iPhone and BlackBerry.
post #10 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akac View Post

I think Apple feels that its better taken care of by third party apps. And honestly I'm glad. Our entire business is focused on mobile professionals. Our Windows Mobile software is even packaged with Franklin Covey's Plan Plus for Outlook.

So you can imagine how happy I am to be able to bring this to the iPhone - both for myself, my wife, and all the other people out there. Its funny - 40% of our Windows Mobile private beta users have moved to the iPhone and BlackBerry.

AKAC, maybe you are correct. It is simply hard to see leaving this functionality out when you are dealing with business productivity which is the foundation of push email and a host of other features. Anyhow, a month will tell
post #11 of 16
Yes, but Apple isn't focusing the device for business in terms of apps. Let people who know business apps write business apps.

After a week of talking with Apple daily at WWDC I can tell you they are listening very closely. Its prioritization and opportunity.
post #12 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by tutumiles1 View Post

AKAC, maybe you are correct. It is simply hard to see leaving this functionality out when you are dealing with business productivity which is the foundation of push email and a host of other features. Anyhow, a month will tell

I don't want Apple to include everything...they need a strong third party following to create this kind of stuff.

Do you realize how many to do apps there will be when the App Store gets going?

And why should business only have push? MobileMe is a hugely under-reported framework to come out of WWDC.
post #13 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by k squared View Post

I don't want Apple to include everything...they need a strong third party following to create this kind of stuff.

Do you realize how many to do apps there will be when the App Store gets going?

And why should business only have push? MobileMe is a hugely under-reported framework to come out of WWDC.


Apple generally does include everything. I'm not saying you're wrong and the lack of notes and to-do sync might just be a product of the iPhone calendar.app being immature. However, it should be something they add in the future. We won't know what they have and haven't included until the 2.0 update is released.
post #14 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by imacFP View Post

I was very disappointed that Mobile Me does not seem to sync notes or to-do lists with Mail or Outlook let alone the iPhone. Why would Apple leave these things out?

I'm starting to think Apple doesn't fully understand to do's . iCal offers us a few clues that demonstrate the lack of definition Apple has for to do's and how they integrate / distinguish from events.

I think it's fair to say Apple doesn't really have a full grasp and how To Do's should actually be integrated with events in iCal. should they be one in the same? etc.
post #15 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by boss1 View Post

I'm starting to think Apple doesn't fully understand to do's . iCal offers us a few clues that demonstrate the lack of definition Apple has for to do's and how they integrate / distinguish from events.

I think it's fair to say Apple doesn't really have a full grasp and how To Do's should actually be integrated with events in iCal. should they be one in the same? etc.

Boss, I think you are so correct in Apple's lack of understanding with how user's use a good "To Do" list. It may seem simple for those you only want a list, but they are invaluable for people who lead a busy business environment. This is not demeaning the desires that others have stated but it is to speak to the seriousness of the function. iCal is not as robust as the calendar function as MicroSofts calendar apps.
post #16 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by tutumiles1 View Post

Boss, I think you are so correct in Apple's lack of understanding with how user's use a good "To Do" list. It may seem simple for those you only want a list, but they are invaluable for people who lead a busy business environment. This is not demeaning the desires that others have stated but it is to speak to the seriousness of the function. iCal is not as robust as the calendar function as MicroSofts calendar apps.

Right. So if Apple doesn't understand how to implement To Do lists, then it's a perfect opportunity for third parties.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Mobile Me No notes or to-do sync :(