or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › What's the best LCD TV?

What's the best LCD TV?

post #1 of 10
I'm considering buying an LCD TV in the 32-37" size. Does anyone here know a lot about LCD TVs?

- Which has the best picture?
- Which is the best value?
- Does 1080 make a difference at 32"?

For what it's worth, I am tempted to go out and buy this Sharp model simply because it comes in red. I'm one of the folks who wishes that Apple still sold different colors of iMacs.

Currently I have a big 'ol tube. Sony Trinitron from the early 2000's. It's a fine TV, but it takes up a lot of space that I wouldn't mind having back. Plus, I wouldn't mind being able to watch stuff in HD ... especially the knockout stages of the Euro coming up later this month.
Cat: the other white meat
post #2 of 10
That LCD seems to have gotten positive reviews overall.

The general rule of thumb is 1080p becomes more useful at 50" and above, though some might argue 42" and above... So at 32" you won't get the bang of 1080p, although it certainly doesn't hurt to have it.

Be careful of your HDTV expectations. The smaller they are, the less "wow" you get.
post #3 of 10
It's 1080p and an AQUOS, I have a 37" 1080p AQUOS (they didn't have any decent 32" 1080p LCD's a year or so ago). I like my AQUOS, the dynamic contrast ratio is quite good for an LCD, in fact the AQUOS specs better than most LCD computer monitors, and I can attest to that, I have my AQUOS hooked up to my Mac with a DVI to HDMI cable, the blacks are much "blacker" on the AQUOS than on my Planar LCD computer screen.
Every eye fixed itself upon him; with parted lips and bated breath the audience hung upon his words, taking no note of time, rapt in the ghastly fascinations of the tale. NOT!
Every eye fixed itself upon him; with parted lips and bated breath the audience hung upon his words, taking no note of time, rapt in the ghastly fascinations of the tale. NOT!
post #4 of 10
Unless you plan to sit 2 feet away from the screen, there is no reason whatsoever to pay the premium for 1080p in a 32" model. Even the eagle eyed usually put 42" at the very lower limit of where the extra resolution pays off in real world PQ.

That being said, the manufacturers really want you to pay that premium, so they tend to stick extra features (like colored bezels or USB connections) on those models only.

But if you want to save two to three hundred dollars, get a 720p and sit at least three feet away and you'll never know the difference.

Samsung makes some great ones as well. Go down to Best Buy and check them out-- specs aren't that useful in evaluating the actual picture. Some have glossier, more reflective screens than others, some have slightly biased color balance, some have dreadful UIs.

Between Sharp and Samsung, it probably comes down to things like number and variety of inputs, sound quality, ease of adjustments and case style.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
post #5 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Unless you plan to sit 2 feet away from the screen, there is no reason whatsoever to pay the premium for 1080p in a 32" model. Even the eagle eyed usually put 42" at the very lower limit of where the extra resolution pays off in real world PQ.

Yeah, I figured that much, but I'm really stuck on the redness of the quoted model. I do doubt that there's much, notable difference between 720 and 1080 at this size, but I'm willing to pony up a bit of extra dough if it means there are other things better about the model, not just the resolution.

The 32" is a limit of my small apartment and my likelihood of moving into other small apartments until I fool some girl into marrying me. That could take some time.
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splinemodel View Post

Yeah, I figured that much, but I'm really stuck on the redness of the quoted model. I do doubt that there's much, notable difference between 720 and 1080 at this size, but I'm willing to pony up a bit of extra dough if it means there are other things better about the model, not just the resolution.

The 32" is a limit of my small apartment and my likelihood of moving into other small apartments until I fool some girl into marrying me. That could take some time.

In that case, the Sharp is plenty good, and a little premium for the look you like certainly doesn't strike this Mac user as wrong headed!
post #7 of 10
It does to me.
"If I had played my career hitting singles like Pete (Rose), I'd wear a dress." - Mickey Mantle
"If I had played my career hitting singles like Pete (Rose), I'd wear a dress." - Mickey Mantle
post #8 of 10
Just to reinforce addabox's thoughts:

Engadget Article
post #9 of 10
Anyone know where I can get a retina and lens upgrade for my eyes?
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denton View Post

Just to reinforce addabox's thoughts:

Engadget Article

Cool. I typically sit closer to the screen than 4 ft.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AppleOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › What's the best LCD TV?