or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › Can't add .mp4 file to iTunes

Can't add .mp4 file to iTunes

post #1 of 2
I'm not new at this - I've successfully put my LOST DVD sets on my iPod in the past. However since then, I've reformatted my iBook and reinstalled all the software on it once or twice, and now I'm running into a weird issue.

I'm running on an iBook G4. Trying to put an .mp4 file I ripped (using an iPod setting via Handbrake) into my iTunes library. I've gotten it to add to an iTunes library on two different PC's running XP and Vista respectively, but when I go to add it to my iBook library, it simply reacts as if I've done nothing at all. No error message, nothing. I went into Quicktime and re-exported the file as an MP4 and found the exact same results.

Suggestions?
post #2 of 2
Well, I've managed to solve this on my own.

After Googling the issue all day yesterday, I finally came across someone who said that (like me) they'd recently done a system restore. They said that they simply needed to update their version of Quicktime and it worked again.

I didn't initially think that Quicktime was the problem, because the videos I was trying to add were playing fine in the Quicktime Player. However, it appears that version 7.0 of Quicktime didn't communicate with the version of iTunes I was using particularly well, so thus no video.

An update to QT 7.5 did the trick.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Genius Bar
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › Can't add .mp4 file to iTunes