or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › New Republican coordinated plan to blame Democrats for high oil prices

New Republican coordinated plan to blame Democrats for high oil prices - Page 8

post #281 of 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by sslarson View Post

You know, there's no shame in just coming out and admitting that you don't understand how monetary systems work and why sound (usually gold-based) monetary systems are superior to fiat, legal-tender monetary systems.

Really. It's okay. You can just admit that you don't understand it all. It's nothing to be embarrassed about.

You should enlighten me, I think, on what I don't understand about monetary systems. I would find such enlightening enlightening.

I would prefer a monetary system based on 3G iPhones.
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
post #282 of 297
Actually I think you would prefer a monetary system based on snow and cracked concrete.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

post #283 of 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

Actually I think you would prefer a monetary system based on snow and cracked concrete.

Nah. But I'm trying to figure out a way to pay for construction bins using worn out work gloves.

post #284 of 297
Quote:

I find the fairly consistent criticism of various oil supply proposals on the grounds that they'll take too long to produce results ironic given that the government is so frequently held up as the necessary agency of long-term thinking and planning.

Too often these plans don't help in a timely fashion relevant to the problem. We could use more oil now to get us over the bad times until we can work on another solution. Off shore drilling won't effect now but is always offered by Bush as a response to the question of what can we do now.

Also you may have noticed the Bush administration isn't really good at long term thinking.
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
post #285 of 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

Too often these plans don't help in a timely fashion relevant to the problem. We could use more oil now to get us over the bad times until we can work on another solution. Off shore drilling won't effect now but is always offered by Bush as a response to the question of what can we do now.

Also you may have noticed the Bush administration isn't really good at long term thinking.

Quite frankly I don't think I've seen any politician that's very good at long-term thinking (at least in regards to their governing policies and proposals). Their thinking extends (at most) to the next election. Their proposal amount to nothing more than using our money to try and buy our (or, worse, someone else's) votes for the next election. Suggesting this ailment is limited to Bush is naive and incorrect (and, perhaps, reveals your biases).
post #286 of 297
Quote:

Quite frankly I don't think I've seen any politician that's very good at long-term thinking (at least in regards to their governing policies and proposals). Their thinking extends (at most) to the next election. Their proposal amount to nothing more than using our money to try and buy our (or, worse, someone else's) votes for the next election. Suggesting this ailment is limited to Bush is naive and incorrect (and, perhaps, reveals your biases).

As to long term thinking we could talk about what I was just talking about with Trumpy. You know about the economy of the late 90's.

However I already know how you feel.

With Bush it's bias with good reason. If you don't understand just take a good long hard look around.
post #287 of 297
Now here's a guy with some brains!

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/07/...rgy/index.html

Energy crisis threatens U.S. survival, Gore says Story Highlights
NEW: Renewable energy can bring equivalent of $1 a gallon gas, Gore says

Al Gore calls for electrical grid to be off carbon-based energy in 10 years

Gore has pushed for policies to reduce greenhouse gas emissions

Former vice president won Nobel Peace Prize in 2007 for advocacacy

I think he really would make a good VP again!
post #288 of 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

Now here's a guy with some brains!

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/07/...rgy/index.html

Energy crisis threatens U.S. survival, Gore says Story Highlights
NEW: Renewable energy can bring equivalent of $1 a gallon gas, Gore says

Al Gore calls for electrical grid to be off carbon-based energy in 10 years

Gore has pushed for policies to reduce greenhouse gas emissions

Former vice president won Nobel Peace Prize in 2007 for advocacacy

I think he really would make a good VP again!

He can't run for office. Republicans and the media have determined that Al Gore is fat. And fat is unacceptable in our society.
"The selfishness of Ayn Rand capitalism is the equivalent of intellectual masturbation -- satisfying in an ego-stroking way, but an ethical void when it comes to our commonly shared humanity."
"The selfishness of Ayn Rand capitalism is the equivalent of intellectual masturbation -- satisfying in an ego-stroking way, but an ethical void when it comes to our commonly shared humanity."
post #289 of 297
I wish I could win a Nobel for advocacacy.
post #290 of 297
Quote:
He can't run for office. Republicans and the media have determined that Al Gore is fat. And fat is unacceptable in our society.

O rly? Looks pretty acceptable to me!

post #291 of 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northgate View Post

Then they should look at McCain!
post #292 of 297
My bad. I should've said the MSM will not tolerate a fat candidate.
post #293 of 297
AHHHHHH!!!!!

Now we're getting a little closer to the truth!

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/07/...oil/index.html

'Two oil men' to blame for high gas prices, Pelosi says

Quote:
House Speaker Nancy Pelosi Thursday blamed the "two oil men in the White House," President Bush and Vice President Dick Cheney, and their Republican allies in Congress for gas prices exceeding $4 a gallon

Oh no! It couldn't be them could it?
post #294 of 297
Bump!

Well if the republicans hope blaming the democrats for the high prices it's not working.

Quote:
The Presumptive Nominees

CNN's National Poll of Polls

Barack Obama 47% 41% John McCain

RECENT POLLS: 7/15 | 7/13 | 7/11 | 7/3
CNN's "poll of polls" consists of five surveys: Gallup (July

Enjoy!

post #295 of 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerLurker View Post

There has been a lot of rumbling from the Republican noise machine lately about drilling for more oil as The Best Solution for High Gas Prices. Today, it reached a fever pitch, and a new level of message coordination:

This is not going to play well in Florida for all three of them. Furthermore, they're going to have a hard time explaining exactly how drilling for more oil that we might see anywhere from 5 to 10 years from now is really going to substantially affect gas prices either now, or in the future. The fact that we currently EXPORT 10% of our domestically-produced oil doesn't help their argument much, either.

Quote:

But I'd like to move back to the original point of how the Republicans are mounting a huge coordinated assault around this issue.

It looks to me like Republicans are trying to reframe the entire 2008 election around domestic oil drilling.

This is the issue they are going to try to hammer the Democrats with - over, and over. They know the Democratic party is going to fight this, and that's exactly what they want them to do. They couldn't give less of a damn if drilling is actually approved.

That way, they can shift the blame for high gas prices away from the devalued dollar, ongoing Middle East instability, rampant speculation, and rising worldwide demand, which are the actual causes.

The real beauty of it all is that they are actually trying to benefit from a crisis of their own making. It's positively..... ROVIAN!

Revisiting my thread topic and original post(s) from June 16, I think I called this one early on... but it has gone much further than I had originally envisioned.

But......

Quote:

Most voters outside of the 30% Republican base are going to see this as exactly what it is - a calculated, coordinated, political, and cynical hit attempt on Obama and Democrats in Congress.

As right as I was about what the Republican plan was, I was wrong about how much it would succeed. The polls show a large majority of Americans buying into it hook, line, and sinker:
Quote:
Nationwide, Americans approve of an offshore drilling expansion by a whopping 69 to 30 percent, according to a CNN/Opinion Research Corp. poll released last week

Maybe that will finally teach me not to overestimate the intelligence, and underestimate the gullibility, of the American public!

eye
bee
BEE
eye
bee
BEE
post #296 of 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcUK View Post

Gold is another waste of time. There is no point in buying gold now, 2 years ago yes, now, waste of time. If I was holding gold, now would be the time to get out and invest in something else

Who's loving the Gold Now?
post #297 of 297
Quote:

Revisiting my thread topic and original post(s) from June 16, I think I called this one early on... but it has gone much further than I had originally envisioned.

But......

As right as I was about what the Republican plan was, I was wrong about how much it would succeed. The polls show a large majority of Americans buying into it hook, line, and sinker:

Maybe that will finally teach me not to overestimate the intelligence, and underestimate the gullibility, of the American public!

America loves a gaz guzzler. The bigger the better. Thin is definitely not in. It's not how you get there, it's how fazt you get there that countz. Every time I venture out into this vast wasteland called America, it reminds me of the Coneheads. Every time I turn on the TV and watch the vast wasteland of commercials, it reminds me of the Coneheads.

I'm halfway expecting legislation to be passed for a MDC, which stands for Mandatory Daily Consumption. The Republicans are determined to jam it down our throats one way or another.
Every eye fixed itself upon him; with parted lips and bated breath the audience hung upon his words, taking no note of time, rapt in the ghastly fascinations of the tale. NOT!
Every eye fixed itself upon him; with parted lips and bated breath the audience hung upon his words, taking no note of time, rapt in the ghastly fascinations of the tale. NOT!
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › New Republican coordinated plan to blame Democrats for high oil prices