or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Obama's New Logo - He's Already President

Obama's New Logo - He's Already President - Page 2

post #41 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fellowship View Post

Tin foil stuff I know but entertaining none the less..

Fellows

Careful, fellows... you'll set off franksargent's "Alex Jones" button... and once you push it, it cannot be reset or turned off for at least 15 posts...
"Stand Up for Chuck"
"Stand Up for Chuck"
post #42 of 105
Obama Campaign Drops Faux Presidential Seal

Quote:
...Mickey Kaus predicted it would be disappeared over the weekend. His exact words were: "But unless David Axelrod is insane, the thing will never be seen again." Kaus was right. While we don't have full details, someone at Obama's press center, when asked if the seal would be used going forward said simply, "No." There were still a number of vaguely presidential-seal screensavers available at the Obama website, though.

Oh, and I'd like to get a response from Jubelum on this interview...

What Obama means for business

No, I know it's not on topic, this topic's over though...
post #43 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubelum View Post

Careful, fellows... you'll set off franksargent's "Alex Jones" button... and once you push it, it cannot be reset or turned off for at least 15 posts...

Fellows labeled it what it is "tin foil" so why would I reply to it, because I would not have, and have not.
Every eye fixed itself upon him; with parted lips and bated breath the audience hung upon his words, taking no note of time, rapt in the ghastly fascinations of the tale. NOT!
Every eye fixed itself upon him; with parted lips and bated breath the audience hung upon his words, taking no note of time, rapt in the ghastly fascinations of the tale. NOT!
post #44 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

Wait..you don't understand why I took issue with what you posted? It's much, much worse than I thought.

You're so well rounded. Why don't you explain it to me? Oh I forgot that would tie you down to a specific that you'd have to answer for.http://www.merriam-webster.com/cgi-b...&va=foreshadow

" to represent, indicate, or typify beforehand " Yes I know I used it in reference to " things to come " and I supposed I could have just said " A foreshadowing ". My usage might be considered to be redundant. However you're really reaching here because I was qualifying what the foreshadowing was indicating.

http://www.britannica.com/search?que...rchSubmit.y=10

Besides what if anything does this have to do with the fact that Obama is going to be our next president?

Sad, sad, sad.

It's that you don't have a point and you're trying to magically create one.

With so many on your case here you really must like all the attention or you're a masochist.
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
post #45 of 105
Some might want to, you know, let the Republicans know that using logos similar to the presidential seal are, like, a no-no. Well, at least that's what the commentariat says...

They are using three different likenesses of the presidential seal...for silly things like fundraising purposes:

The Obama hysteria from the right is entertaining though.
"The selfishness of Ayn Rand capitalism is the equivalent of intellectual masturbation -- satisfying in an ego-stroking way, but an ethical void when it comes to our commonly shared humanity."
"The selfishness of Ayn Rand capitalism is the equivalent of intellectual masturbation -- satisfying in an ego-stroking way, but an ethical void when it comes to our commonly shared humanity."
post #46 of 105
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
post #47 of 105
Dammit. What will the right have to bitch about tomorrow?

Now they'll have to go back to their regular cycle of crying about how they're not allowed to use to code words to describe Obama.
post #48 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northgate View Post

Dammit. What will the right have to bitch about tomorrow?

Now they'll have to go back to their regular cycle of crying about how they're not allowed to use to code words to describe Obama.

If you're waiting for them to stop this will go on until Nov.
post #49 of 105
Quote:

Some might want to, you know, let the Republicans know that using logos similar to the presidential seal are, like, a no-no. Well, at least that's what the commentariat says...

They are using three different likenesses of the presidential seal...for silly things like fundraising purposes:

<<snip>>

The Obama hysteria from the right is entertaining though.

I didn't know that. That makes the Republicans suck even more...
Most of us employ the Internet not to seek the best information, but rather to select information that confirms our prejudices. - Nicholas D. Kristof
Most of us employ the Internet not to seek the best information, but rather to select information that confirms our prejudices. - Nicholas D. Kristof
post #50 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

You're so well rounded. Why don't you explain it to me? Oh I forgot that would tie you down to a specific that you'd have to answer for.http://www.merriam-webster.com/cgi-b...&va=foreshadow

" to represent, indicate, or typify beforehand " Yes I know I used it in reference to " things to come " and I supposed I could have just said " A foreshadowing ". My usage might be considered to be redundant. However you're really reaching here because I was qualifying what the foreshadowing was indicating.

http://www.britannica.com/search?que...rchSubmit.y=10

Nope, still don't get it. Keep trying, jimmac.

Quote:

Besides what if anything does this have to do with the fact that Obama is going to be our next president?

Show me why you think that. Go ahead...make the case.

Quote:
Sad, sad, sad.

It's that you don't have a point and you're trying to magically create one.

With so many on your case here you really must like all the attention or you're a masochist.

My point is that you're incapable of making the case Obama will win. You're also incapable of using the English language, as you have now repeatedly demonstrated.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
post #51 of 105
Quote:

Nope, still don't get it. Keep trying, jimmac.

Show me why you think that. Go ahead...make the case.

My point is that you're incapable of making the case Obama will win. You're also incapable of using the English language, as you have now repeatedly demonstrated.

If you want to talk abouit the subject at hand fine. If you want to play games I'll assume you understand you've just given up and don't have a point.

Just watch the polls and what happens. I've already told you why Obama is most likely the next president. As you saw if you looked at my link most americans think that also. They're the voters so how do you think that translates SDW? There's a lot of things coming together all at once : Bad feelings about Bush, McCain can't seem to seperate himself from Bush, IRAQ!, The ECONOMY!, and people just being tired of the same old thing in Washington mostly from the republican party. Obama offers not only in his plans to reform ( which would be useless to list for you as we alll know you'd disagree with them ) new ideas but also a younger face. Which just goes along with the change idea. He's got the perfect combination of things that will bring in the votes. You have seen that he's already pulling ahead?

The Presumptive Nominees

CNN's National Poll of Polls

Barack Obama 46% 40% John McCain

RECENT POLLS: 6/20 | 6/17 | 6/13 | 6/11
CNN's national general election "poll of polls" consists of three surveys: Newsweek (June 18-19), Gallup (June 16-19), and Fox News/Opinion Dynamics (June 17-18). The poll of polls showed 14% unsure; it does not have a sampling error.

Here's another look : http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/06/...ads/index.html

Preston on Politics: Obama's 'Shock and Awe'

You're incapable of doing anything but bluffing. Care to fill in that quote you're so sure of?
post #52 of 105
Quote:

If you want to talk abouit the subject at hand fine. If you want to play games I'll assume you understand you've just given up and don't have a point.

Just watch the polls and what happens. I've already told you why Obama is most likely the next president. As you saw if you looked at my link most americans think that also. They're the voters so how do you think that translates SDW? There's a lot of things coming together all at once : Bad feelings about Bush, McCain can't seem to seperate himself from Bush, IRAQ!, The ECONOMY!, and people just being tired of the same old thing in Washington mostly from the republican party. Obama offers not only in his plans to reform ( which would be useless to list for you as we alll know you'd disagree with them ) new ideas but also a younger face. Which just goes along with the change idea. He's got the perfect combination of things that will bring in the votes. You have seen that he's already pulling ahead?

The Presumptive Nominees

CNN's National Poll of Polls

Barack Obama 46% 40% John McCain

RECENT POLLS: 6/20 | 6/17 | 6/13 | 6/11
CNN's national general election "poll of polls" consists of three surveys: Newsweek (June 18-19), Gallup (June 16-19), and Fox News/Opinion Dynamics (June 17-18). The poll of polls showed 14% unsure; it does not have a sampling error.

Here's another look : http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/06/...ads/index.html

Preston on Politics: Obama's 'Shock and Awe'

You're incapable of doing anything but bluffing. Care to fill in that quote you're so sure of?

First anyone citing the Newsweek poll needs their head examined. The breakdown on the numbers showed 100 fewer Republicans than Democrats our Independents questioned. No matter what rate of identification you want to assign to Republicans, they are more than 25% of the electorate. Out of roughly 800 slots, they questioned 300 Democrats, 300 Independent and 200 Republicans.

While Obama does have advantages and McCain clearly does have a headwind to contend with, this thing is not over by a long shot. We haven't even gotten to the conventions! People haven't even started paying attention to this yet unless they are like all of us in this forum, political junkies.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

post #53 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

First anyone citing the Newsweek poll needs their head examined. The breakdown on the numbers showed 100 fewer Republicans than Democrats our Independents questioned. No matter what rate of identification you want to assign to Republicans, they are more than 25% of the electorate. Out of roughly 800 slots, they questioned 300 Democrats, 300 Independent and 200 Republicans.

While Obama does have advantages and McCain clearly does have a headwind to contend with, this thing is not over by a long shot. We haven't even gotten to the conventions! People haven't even started paying attention to this yet unless they are like all of us in this forum, political junkies.

Quote:
First anyone citing the Newsweek poll needs their head examined.

God! Not you too! SDW's clone!

Quote:
People haven't even started paying attention to this yet unless they are like all of us in this forum, political junkies

This year with everything that's going on I think more people are paying attention than you realize. Where do you think the record number of voter registrations came from?
post #54 of 105
Quote:

God! Not you too! SDW's clone!

This year with everything that's going on I think more people are paying attention than you realize. Where do you think the record number of voter registrations came from?

Didn't we hear that same broken record (that is so you will understand it) aka skipping CD (that is so I will understand it) in 2004?

No one has claimed that it will be easy for McCain to win or that the race does not favor Obama. Rather most of us are not writing it off in... June.

post #55 of 105
Quote:

Didn't we hear that same broken record (that is so you will understand it) aka skipping CD (that is so I will understand it) in 2004?

No one has claimed that it will be easy for McCain to win or that the race does not favor Obama. Rather most of us are not writing it off in... June.

Actually the current trend started in the 2006 election ( you know when the democrats took the house and senate when most of you guys where saying they wouldn't ) and is picking up steam with this one. And yes it's June. Iraq is still in the news and the price of gas is high. Just imagine what it'll be like in November. I don't see this changing much and dispite their attempted claims to the contrary most blame the republicans for this. I'm afraid they don't get very high marks from the voters now days.

Also I own a rather large CD collection. The skipping isn't the same click, click, the same click, click the same click, click!
post #56 of 105
I actually agree with Trumptman.

The incessant mockery and ridicule that Obama will receive constantly for the next four months will chip away at his lead. No doubt.

Right now McCain is being portrayed as the doddering old man and Obama as the chosen one. That will slowly invert by election day.

I do find it interesting that McCain's campaign team can't seem to get their shit together. It's as if the Bush/Cheney team is running Obama's campaign. They seem to understand that it's all about marketing, marketing, marketing.

The GOP campaign experts will eventually join McCain's team. I'm sure Rove is already "on the job" even though he's not on the payroll. Where's Mehlman? Is he still outcast because of the '06 fiasco?
post #57 of 105
Quote:

It's certainly silly to write anyone off in June. I definitely agree with that.

However, I'm quite certain that SDW has claimed many times, in many threads, that there's no way for Obama to win.
post #58 of 105
And, hey, apparently McCain's flip flops matter less than Obama's because... he was a POW... or something ... according to Richard Cohen.

And that's really the difference between Democrats and Republicans, isn't it? Democrats have been scolded so many times about saying mean things about the troops. So Democrats have been told that in no uncertain terms is it permissible to attack a soldier or veteran or question their service. EVER!

Republicans, however, wouldn't hesitate for one second to pry into McCain's past, his record, his captivity, and make a case that anyone who's suffered as much as McCain HAS to have deep seeded psychological problems and is therefore, potentially, unfit for command. Democrats don't have the balls to go there. Republicans did it in 2004. They turned a decorated Vietnam war veteran into a scumbag and they used his service record as exhibit number 1. Democrats wouldn't have had to "testicular fortitude" to go through with it.

Now, to qualify my statements I will admit that I think the criticism of Al Gore's Vietnam service was admissable because Al Gore never say any serious combat. And I think Georgy Bush's service record was also open to criticism for the same reasons as Al Gore.
post #59 of 105
Quote:

The incessant mockery and ridicule that Obama will receive constantly for the next four months will chip away at his lead. No doubt.

Right now McCain is being portrayed as the doddering old man and Obama as the chosen one. That will slowly invert by election day.

I do find it interesting that McCain's campaign team can't seem to get their shit together. It's as if the Bush/Cheney team is running Obama's campaign. They seem to understand that it's all about marketing, marketing, marketing.

The GOP campaign experts will eventually join McCain's team. I'm sure Rove is already "on the job" even though he's not on the payroll. Where's Mehlman? Is he still outcast because of the '06 fiasco?

I seem to recall you being rather pessimistic in 2006 also. Not a knock I understand. The republicans have gotten smarter over the years. However times are now radically different and things with the last administration aren't going well at all. Not at all.

Because of this McCain has a built in handicap. It'll still be an albatross around his neck in November. Also If Obama is half as smart as I think he is he'll have little trouble steering his way around the mud.
post #60 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flounder View Post

However, I'm quite certain that SDW has claimed many times, in many threads, that there's no way for Obama to win.

I really don't think there is. He has some serious problems, one of which is that the more people find out about what he actually thinks, the less they like him. You guys are making a serious mistake by underestimating McCain. The trend is democratic this year, but Obama is poor and shallow candidate. Hillary would likely win...Obama will not.
post #61 of 105
Quote:

I really don't think there is. He has some serious problems, one of which is that the more people find out about what he actually thinks, the less they like him. You guys are making a serious mistake by underestimating McCain. The trend is democratic this year, but Obama is poor and shallow candidate. Hillary would likely win...Obama will not.

So that's your subjective opinion. Got anything fact wise to back that up?

I mean from where I stand Obama seems to be pretty well liked. And it doesn't seem to be going away.
post #62 of 105
Quote:

Actually the current trend started in the 2006 election ( you know when the democrats took the house and senate when most of you guys where saying they wouldn't ) and is picking up steam with this one. And yes it's June. Iraq is still in the news and the price of gas is high. Just imagine what it'll be like in November. I don't see this changing much and dispite their attempted claims to the contrary most blame the republicans for this. I'm afraid they don't get very high marks from the voters now days.

Also I own a rather large CD collection. The skipping isn't the same click, click, the same click, click the same click, click!

You are right that the current administration isn't getting high marks and also are correct that the Republican brand is indeed damaged goods right now. I also believe that it is an uphill climb for Republicans.

However I think there one big difference between 2006 and now and that difference is that attempts to nationalize the election with nothing more than criticism as a platform won't get you as far in this election. Also I do think people will investigate what might happen if all three branches of government are given to one party. Note I am not saying (unlike you) that this is a bad thing, rather it is a new factor that was not in consideration in 2006.

In Cailfornia we have had a blue wave of governing for as long as I care to think about it. Yet for some reason we keep electing Republican governors. They basically run as an emergency brake against runaway Democratic excesses.

So in that regard McCain does have an advantage (should he choose to exploit it, we don't know if he will) He CAN say, look even if you agree with me 100%, you sure better agree with Democrats 100% since they will have all three branches. He can run as a speed bump and have it make institutional sense. The Democrats however, desiring all three branches, better actually have a plan because BUSH SUCKS™ isn't going to cut it much longer.

Quote:

Don't we have more than four months left in this campaign?

Quote:

In my Race/Arugula thread it noted that the wing of the Democratic party that Obama hails from has not had much luck with elections. Obama is attempting something unprecedented and language that warrants skepticism shouldn't be considered out of line. McCain is attempting something unprecedented as well. From what I have read for whatever reason, his generation has yet to have a president elected from it. McCain certainly does receive a lot of skepticism though even though he has also overcome several previously unimaginable obstacles. We can all argue about whehter McCain is the 08 version of Dole or whether Obama is 08 version of Adlai Stevenson. The point should be that no one has it guaranteed in June.

Quote:

So that's your subjective opinion. Got anything fact wise to back that up?

I mean from where I stand Obama seems to be pretty well liked. And it doesn't seem to be going away.

The favorable/unfavorables are similar for both candidates. The main strength Obama appears to have for him is the ability to give a backdoor knuckle sandwich. His first bids at state office involved disqualifying his fellow candidates. He beat Clinton by holding on through the initial barrage and then used loads of caucuses to build a lead and then had his media surrogates demand she quit and everyone go home at halftime. He did beat Clinton and she is a flawed but formidable candidate. Since their positions (or whatever those positions happened to be when they wanted your vote) were so similar, Obama could focus very much on personality and charisma. However even with that, he just barely beat her.

With McCain no matter what, there will be some positions and issues at stake. Perhaps not as many or to the depth we would all like, but there will be issues versus just straight up personality. McCain can actually tie Obama to a Democratic Congress and what they would do. No matter what, if he is smart, he can make it about more than personality.

post #63 of 105
Don't forget also that there is a ticking time bomb in the Democrat plans... their own gay rights constituents that are going to force the gay marriage issue to ballots once again during an election year.

Sodomy: providing the inspiration that John McCain can't.
"Stand Up for Chuck"
"Stand Up for Chuck"
post #64 of 105
Quote:

You are right that the current administration isn't getting high marks and also are correct that the Republican brand is indeed damaged goods right now. I also believe that it is an uphill climb for Republicans.

However I think there one big difference between 2006 and now and that difference is that attempts to nationalize the election with nothing more than criticism as a platform won't get you as far in this election. Also I do think people will investigate what might happen if all three branches of government are given to one party. Note I am not saying (unlike you) that this is a bad thing, rather it is a new factor that was not in consideration in 2006.

In Cailfornia we have had a blue wave of governing for as long as I care to think about it. Yet for some reason we keep electing Republican governors. They basically run as an emergency brake against runaway Democratic excesses.

So in that regard McCain does have an advantage (should he choose to exploit it, we don't know if he will) He CAN say, look even if you agree with me 100%, you sure better agree with Democrats 100% since they will have all three branches. He can run as a speed bump and have it make institutional sense. The Democrats however, desiring all three branches, better actually have a plan because BUSH SUCKS isn't going to cut it much longer.

Don't we have more than four months left in this campaign?

In my Race/Arugula thread it noted that the wing of the Democratic party that Obama hails from has not had much luck with elections. Obama is attempting something unprecedented and language that warrants skepticism shouldn't be considered out of line. McCain is attempting something unprecedented as well. From what I have read for whatever reason, his generation has yet to have a president elected from it. McCain certainly does receive a lot of skepticism though even though he has also overcome several previously unimaginable obstacles. We can all argue about whehter McCain is the 08 version of Dole or whether Obama is 08 version of Adlai Stevenson. The point should be that no one has it guaranteed in June.

The favorable/unfavorables are similar for both candidates. The main strength Obama appears to have for him is the ability to give a backdoor knuckle sandwich. His first bids at state office involved disqualifying his fellow candidates. He beat Clinton by holding on through the initial barrage and then used loads of caucuses to build a lead and then had his media surrogates demand she quit and everyone go home at halftime. He did beat Clinton and she is a flawed but formidable candidate. Since their positions (or whatever those positions happened to be when they wanted your vote) were so similar, Obama could focus very much on personality and charisma. However even with that, he just barely beat her.

With McCain no matter what, there will be some positions and issues at stake. Perhaps not as many or to the depth we would all like, but there will be issues versus just straight up personality. McCain can actually tie Obama to a Democratic Congress and what they would do. No matter what, if he is smart, he can make it about more than personality.

Quote:
However I think there one big difference between 2006 and now

Yes there is a difference. Things in the good ol' US of A are a lot worse than they were in 2006.

About the 3 arms of government under one party thing. I don't think it will detract from the democrats unless once they get in there they don't perform. If people want Obama's policies to go through that has the best route. People just don't like what the republicans are doing right now. And it's still going. It seems like at least once every few weeks there's some new blunder by the Bush administration that comes to light. So given that we have until November I expect more. As a matter of fact I'd say that's a given.
post #65 of 105
Quote:

So in that regard McCain does have an advantage (should he choose to exploit it, we don't know if he will) He CAN say, look even if you agree with me 100%, you sure better agree with Democrats 100% since they will have all three branches. He can run as a speed bump and have it make institutional sense. The Democrats however, desiring all three branches, better actually have a plan because BUSH SUCKS isn't going to cut it much longer.

The Democrats control the Supreme Court now?

They don't in at least three important ways:

1. Roberts, a conservative, obviously leads the court as Chief Justice. Check out some of the duties of the Chief Justice to get an idea of the power and influence of the position.

2. The ideological composition isn't more liberal than conservative. Kennedy is the lone swing vote between the conservatives and the liberals on the court, but he votes with the conservatives more often than not.

3. Obama is *not* in the position to tilt the balance of court much differently than its current composition. If the court has any certain vacancies during an Obama presidency, it will be Stevens, a liberal. So it's not like Obama has a very good chance of replacing a conservative with a liberal and thus changing the composition of the court very much.
post #66 of 105
Quote:

I really don't think there is.

And that's why you have no credibility. I mean, when Trumpt think you're full of it, you're in trouble.
post #67 of 105
Quote:

I seem to recall you being rather pessimistic in 2006 also. Not a knock I understand. The republicans have gotten smarter over the years. However times are now radically different and things with the last administration aren't going well at all. Not at all.

Because of this McCain has a built in handicap. It'll still be an albatross around his neck in November. Also If Obama is half as smart as I think he is he'll have little trouble steering his way around the mud.

Oh, I was definitely pessimistic in 2006. And I'm still pessimistic. I've learned to NEVER underestimate the Republican's ability to create well-timed phony outrage over ANYTHING and do it effectively. And then there's the 9/11 WoT fear card. And I'm probably one of the few around here who still thinks that card still has some punch left in it. Shit, SDW fell right in line with the whole "IRAN WILL HAVE NUKES IN 6-MONTHS!!"

They are the MASTERS at campaigning in the gutter. They are the MASTERS at the whisper campaign. They are the MASTERS at the politics of personal destruction. And I don't say this as a slight. I say it in awe of their effectiveness. If I were an Independent running for office I'd hire Republican strategists in a heart beat.

Will all that work this year? I don't know. My wife believes Obama will win by a landslide. He won't. Why? Because he's black and Republicans are ringing their hands to remind whitey that he's "different."
post #68 of 105
Quote:

Oh, I was definitely pessimistic in 2006. And I'm still pessimistic. I've learned to NEVER underestimate the Republican's ability to create well-timed phony outrage over ANYTHING and do it effectively. And then there's the 9/11 WoT fear card. And I'm probably one of the few around here who still thinks that card still has some punch left in it. Shit, SDW fell right in line with the whole "IRAN WILL HAVE NUKES IN 6-MONTHS!!"

They are the MASTERS at campaigning in the gutter. They are the MASTERS at the whisper campaign. They are the MASTERS at the politics of personal destruction. And I don't say this as a slight. I say it in awe of their effectiveness. If I were an Independent running for office I'd hire Republican strategists in a heart beat.

Will all that work this year? I don't know. My wife believes Obama will win by a landslide. He won't. Why? Because he's black and Republicans are ringing their hands to remind whitey that he's "different."

I agree. Buit I still think he'll win. A landslide would be too much to hope for.

And yes I'm sure they will try something. However times being what they are I don't think it'll work quite they way they want it to. As I've said before people are on to the smoke and mirrors.
post #69 of 105
On the other hand, Rove had that "you already know him, he's the guy at the country club with the beautiful date, leaning against the wall smoking a cigarette and making snide remarks about people" Obama characterization, which is tin-eared and wrong headed in so many ways it's hard to know where to start.

Most Americans know country club "types"? Black dudes are one of those types? Obama seems like the kind of guy to be making snide remarks about people behind their back? Having a beautiful date is sign of some kind of character flaw?

It's like Rove is confusing Obama with a Bond villain, and more hilariously, thinks that will resonate with the voters. Rove has lost it, he's so personally jealous of a guy like Obama he can't keep his bile in check long enough to make sense, or he's utterly misunderstood the plot.

You know it's slim pickings when the best he can do to indicate sinister or sleazy is "smoking a cigarette."

If this is an example of the Rove machine taking down Obama, it's not really going to be a factor.

In fact, I'll go so far as to say this: we don't really know how effective the Republican smear machine is against a reasonably adroit candidate. We have this impression that it's this unstoppable monster, but that's from watching Gore and Kerry just sort of sit there and take it. Clearly, Obama is a more nimble, aggressive, politically adept guy, and his campaign has the organizational chops to respond in ways that Gore and Kerry never did.

For all we know the whole thing is a paper tiger, a blustering bully that falls apart when you give it a good hard jab to the nose.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
post #70 of 105
Quote:

From what I have read for whatever reason, his generation has yet to have a president elected from it. McCain certainly does receive a lot of skepticism though even though he has also overcome several previously unimaginable obstacles. We can all argue about whehter McCain is the 08 version of Dole or whether Obama is 08 version of Adlai Stevenson.

Your comparing Ike to John McCain? Sorry but I don't see it, a 5-star compared to a captain?

And what generation are you talking about Carter (1924), Bush (41, 1924), Clinton (1946), Bush (43, 1946), McCain (1936). That's a span of 12 and then 10 years, most people define generation as ~20 years.

Silent Generation

[CENTER]
Quote:
The name Silent Generation was coined in the November 5, 1951 cover story of Time to refer to the generation within the United States coming of age at the time. The article, (which defined the generation at the time as born from 1923 to 1933), found its characteristics as grave and fatalistic, conventional, possessing confused morals, expecting disappointment but desiring faith, and for women, desiring both a career and a family. The article stated:

Youth today is waiting for the hand of fate to fall on its shoulders, meanwhile working fairly hard and saying almost nothing. The most startling fact about the younger generation is its silence. With some rare exceptions, youth is nowhere near the rostrum. By comparison with the Flaming Youth of their fathers & mothers, today's younger generation is a still, small flame. It does not issue manifestoes, make speeches or carry posters. It has been called the "Silent Generation."

The phrase gained further currency after William Manchester's comment that the members of this generation were "withdrawn, cautious, unimaginative, indifferent, unadventurous and silent." The name was used by Strauss and Howe in their book Generations as their designation for that generation in the United States of America born from 1925 to 1945. The generation is also known as the Postwar Generation and the Seekers, when it is not neglected altogether and placed by marketers in the same category as the G.I., or "Greatest", Generation.

[/CENTER]

Perhaps this explains McCain's lack of appreciation for the USofA prior to his stay at the Hanoi Hilton?

McCain is definitely silent when placed beside Obama, McCain is dull while Obama simply shines.
post #71 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by franksargent View Post

Obama simply shines.

The Obamagasms continue...
"Stand Up for Chuck"
"Stand Up for Chuck"
post #72 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnJ View Post

The Democrats control the Supreme Court now?

They don't in at least three important ways:

1. Roberts, a conservative, obviously leads the court as Chief Justice. Check out some of the duties of the Chief Justice to get an idea of the power and influence of the position.

2. The ideological composition isn't more liberal than conservative. Kennedy is the lone swing vote between the conservatives and the liberals on the court, but he votes with the conservatives more often than not.

3. Obama is *not* in the position to tilt the balance of court much differently than its current composition. If the court has any certain vacancies during an Obama presidency, it will be Stevens, a liberal. So it's not like Obama has a very good chance of replacing a conservative with a liberal and thus changing the composition of the court very much.

Well here's a little tidbit on a similar subject. Lets talk about the Justice Dept. for a moment.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/06/...ion/index.html

Anti-liberal bias found in Justice programs

" Justice Department officials blocked liberals and people with Democratic Party ties from a highly selective program that funneled young lawyers into government jobs, according to an internal investigation released Tuesday "

This is just a sample of how things in Washington have been during the Bush administration.
post #73 of 105
Quote:

The McRhetoricgasms continue ...
post #74 of 105
Quote:

Well here's a little tidbit on a similar subject. Lets talk about the Justice Dept. for a moment.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/06/...ion/index.html

Anti-liberal bias found in Justice programs

" Justice Department officials blocked liberals and people with Democratic Party ties from a highly selective program that funneled young lawyers into government jobs, according to an internal investigation released Tuesday "

This is just a sample of how things in Washington have been during the Bush administration.

[CENTER]
[/CENTER]
post #75 of 105
Quote:

At least our candidate can still get it up.

OH. Low blow.

Literally.
post #76 of 105
You need skeptics, especially when the science gets very big and monolithic. -James Lovelock
The Story of Stuff
You need skeptics, especially when the science gets very big and monolithic. -James Lovelock
The Story of Stuff
post #77 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by franksargent View Post

[CENTER]
[/CENTER]

Wow!

The same gene pool!
post #78 of 105
Quote:

And that's why you have no credibility. I mean, when Trumpt think you're full of it, you're in trouble.

Perhaps you should consider learning how to read. He didn't say that at all.

Quote:

Oh, I was definitely pessimistic in 2006. And I'm still pessimistic. I've learned to NEVER underestimate the Republican's ability to create well-timed phony outrage over ANYTHING and do it effectively.

Translation: I've learned that Republicans will actually demonstrate who their opponents are and what they believe.

Quote:

And then there's the 9/11 WoT fear card. And I'm probably one of the few around here who still thinks that card still has some punch left in it. Shit, SDW fell right in line with the whole "IRAN WILL HAVE NUKES IN 6-MONTHS!!"

I love how you guys are going apeshit about that thread. The statement was from fucking Elbaradei. Do you even know who he is?

Quote:

Yes. All of their campaigning is SMEAR and LIES! Democrats are terrible at such things, let me tell you. They're honorable.

Quote:

Wow. You have absolutely no shame in playing the race card, which Obama himself will use to every advantage. Point out Obama's Marxist political beliefs? You're a racist! Point out his radical associations with racist, anti-American pastors and terrorists? You're a racist! Point out his foreign policy positions are naive? Racist! Point out that he has made statements like "white folks greed runs a world in need?" RACIST!

Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

On the other hand, Rove had that "you already know him, he's the guy at the country club with the beautiful date, leaning against the wall smoking a cigarette and making snide remarks about people" Obama characterization, which is tin-eared and wrong headed in so many ways it's hard to know where to start.

I really haven't heard that one, actually.

Quote:

Most Americans know country club "types"? Black dudes are one of those types? Obama seems like the kind of guy to be making snide remarks about people behind their back? Having a beautiful date is sign of some kind of character flaw?

It's like Rove is confusing Obama with a Bond villain, and more hilariously, thinks that will resonate with the voters. Rove has lost it, he's so personally jealous of a guy like Obama he can't keep his bile in check long enough to make sense, or he's utterly misunderstood the plot.

You know it's slim pickings when the best he can do to indicate sinister or sleazy is "smoking a cigarette."

If this is an example of the Rove machine taking down Obama, it's not really going to be a factor.

Again, I'm not aware of that characterization nor do I think it fits Obama.

Quote:

In fact, I'll go so far as to say this: we don't really know how effective the Republican smear machine is against a reasonably adroit candidate.

Adroit? Obama has made mistakes everywhere lately. But nothing sticks.

Quote:
We have this impression that it's this unstoppable monster, but that's from watching Gore and Kerry just sort of sit there and take it. Clearly, Obama is a more nimble, aggressive, politically adept guy, and his campaign has the organizational chops to respond in ways that Gore and Kerry never did.

For all we know the whole thing is a paper tiger, a blustering bully that falls apart when you give it a good hard jab to the nose.

Right, it's all about organization. It's not that Gore would lie about what he had for breakfast if he thought it would get him a vote. It's not that Kerry received Purple Hearts for scratches, reenacted his time in Vietnam for the camera, lied about his fellow soldiers, claimed to have a medal that didn't exist and voted for things before voting against them. It's not that he argued for military action against Iraq and then said he was arguing for the threat of force.

I mean really...you guys eat this shit up. ANY criticism of your candidate comes from the Republican Smear Machine™. We simply cannot talk about your candidate. It's not allowed.
post #79 of 105
Quote:

Perhaps you should consider learning how to read. He didn't say that at all.

Translation: I've learned that Republicans will actually demonstrate who their opponents are and what they believe.

I love how you guys are going apeshit about that thread. The statement was from fucking Elbaradei. Do you even know who he is?

Yes. All of their campaigning is SMEAR and LIES! Democrats are terrible at such things, let me tell you. They're honorable.

Wow. You have absolutely no shame in playing the race card, which Obama himself will use to every advantage. Point out Obama's Marxist political beliefs? You're a racist! Point out his radical associations with racist, anti-American pastors and terrorists? You're a racist! Point out his foreign policy positions are naive? Racist! Point out that he has made statements like "white folks greed runs a world in need?" RACIST!

I really haven't heard that one, actually.

Again, I'm not aware of that characterization nor do I think it fits Obama.

Adroit? Obama has made mistakes everywhere lately. But nothing sticks.

Right, it's all about organization. It's not that Gore would lie about what he had for breakfast if he thought it would get him a vote. It's not that Kerry received Purple Hearts for scratches, reenacted his time in Vietnam for the camera, lied about his fellow soldiers, claimed to have a medal that didn't exist and voted for things before voting against them. It's not that he argued for military action against Iraq and then said he was arguing for the threat of force.

I mean really...you guys eat this shit up. ANY criticism of your candidate comes from the Republican Smear Machine. We simply cannot talk about your candidate. It's not allowed.

As other's have said SDW you've totally lost it. You have a totally backwards view on everything.
post #80 of 105
It's really sad when every SDW response has defaulted to sarcasm. He's run out of arguments and he's still arguing. How pathetic.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Obama's New Logo - He's Already President