or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › George Carlin moves on to the Big Electron

George Carlin moves on to the Big Electron

post #1 of 11
George is gone.

Children

The Planet

Boomers and Politicians

His target was everyone and everything and that what was so awesome about him. I'm sure some people are pissed because, well that was sort of the point. If you weren't 80% laughing and 20% pissed then he probably didn't do his job. I enjoyed the 80% laughing. We all probably needed the 20% pissed so we could pop a few of our self-righteous balloons. I'm sad you're gone.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

post #2 of 11

I remember when I was about 7 years old, my Mom brought home a George Carlin LP (Take Offs and Put Ons) as a gift for me. It was an earlier record of his more tame routines from the early 60's. I loved it. He made fun of the news formats of the times; the wacky weatherman (Hal Sleet) and the indifferent anchorman.

A few years later (1972), my brother got me his record "Occupation: Fool" and I noticed that this record was a huge departure form the other. Laced with profanities (it has the original '7 dirty words' sketch) my mother was shocked at first that my brother would get me an album at such a young age, but after listening (and laughing) herself, she realized that there was a meaning to Carlin's methods. She let me keep the record. And I played it over and over again. I bought every other recording and watched every television appearance since.

Carlin was my jester, my teacher, my philosopher and in some ways my friend. I wish I could have met him and thank him for his humor and his insights on life and death.

But he's still with us. In our minds, in words, sound and vision.

Rest in peace bro'.
post #3 of 11
Either nobody here is old or hip enough to remember or honor GC today...We'll wait.

Here's a good George Carlin/YouTube obituary someone set up for the uninitiated or just too old to get off their lawn.

http://mashable.com/2008/06/23/george-carlin-dead/
post #4 of 11
After watching MSNBC give Tim Russert a 247 weeklong eulogy, they hardly give us the time of day with respect to the passing of George Carlin.

He was probably the first major antiestablishment comic, for me anyway (I'm too young to have directly known Lenny Bruce).

He was most excellent right up to the very end. His sharp edged wit will be truly missed.

And George never pissed me off, I came to expect and even demand his brand of misanthropic humor.

If you can't laugh at yourself, then you don't really understand the human condition.

Rest in peace George.
Every eye fixed itself upon him; with parted lips and bated breath the audience hung upon his words, taking no note of time, rapt in the ghastly fascinations of the tale. NOT!
Every eye fixed itself upon him; with parted lips and bated breath the audience hung upon his words, taking no note of time, rapt in the ghastly fascinations of the tale. NOT!
post #5 of 11
I'll miss Carlin a lot more than Russert, that's for sure.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Get the lowdown on the coming collapse:  http://www.cbo.gov/publication/45010

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Get the lowdown on the coming collapse:  http://www.cbo.gov/publication/45010

post #6 of 11
He was fucking funny.
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I'll miss Carlin a lot more than Russert, that's for sure.

me too.
post #8 of 11
My favorites were his two way words, You can prick your finger, but you can't finger your prick.
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions that I wish it to be always kept alive. Thomas Jefferson
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions that I wish it to be always kept alive. Thomas Jefferson
post #9 of 11
Didnt he also do "why do we drive on the parkway and park in the driveway?"
post #10 of 11
The Unbearable Inanity of George Carlin

post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnJ View Post

The Unbearable Inanity of George Carlin

Gee Shawn, I think you just added yourself to the list of people that should die.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: AppleOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › George Carlin moves on to the Big Electron