or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › Word Pronunciation Fun

Word Pronunciation Fun

post #1 of 36
Here is the name of a river in Mississippi. Master class points to anyone who can figure out how it's pronounced. I think this should be a fun little game both of finding funny place names and trying to type up pronunciations.

Ready? Set?

GO!

Tchoutacabouffa
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
post #2 of 36
Chew-tuh-kuh-boofah

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Get the lowdown on the coming collapse:  http://www.cbo.gov/publication/45010

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #3 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwinter View Post

Tchoutacabouffa

Joey Buttafucco.

Close!?
post #4 of 36
Koo-ta-ka-boofa
MacBook Pro 15" (Unibody)/2.4GHz Core 2 Duo/2 GB RAM/250GB HD/SuperDrive
iMac 20"/2 GHz Core 2 Duo/2 GB RAM/250 GB/SuperDrive
PowerBook G4 12"/1 GHz/1.25 GB RAM/60GB/Combo
iMac G3 333 MHz/96 MB...

MacBook Pro 15" (Unibody)/2.4GHz Core 2 Duo/2 GB RAM/250GB HD/SuperDrive
iMac 20"/2 GHz Core 2 Duo/2 GB RAM/250 GB/SuperDrive
PowerBook G4 12"/1 GHz/1.25 GB RAM/60GB/Combo
iMac G3 333 MHz/96 MB...

post #5 of 36
Hehehe. None of you are even close to the way they pronounce it.
post #6 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by shetline View Post

Throat-warbler mangrove

Ding ding ding!
post #7 of 36
Throat-warbler mangrove
We were once so close to heaven
Peter came out and gave us medals
Declaring us the nicest of the damned -- They Might Be Giants          See the stars at skyviewcafe.com
We were once so close to heaven
Peter came out and gave us medals
Declaring us the nicest of the damned -- They Might Be Giants          See the stars at skyviewcafe.com
post #8 of 36
My southern spider sense tells me that last syllable probably gets collapsed into "buff."

So, something tuh-ka-buff? Chew, I'll guess.

Chew-TUH-ka-buff or Chew-tuh-ka-BUFF.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
post #9 of 36
You are very close.
post #10 of 36
I bet he knows.
"If I had played my career hitting singles like Pete (Rose), I'd wear a dress." - Mickey Mantle
"If I had played my career hitting singles like Pete (Rose), I'd wear a dress." - Mickey Mantle
post #11 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guybrush Threepwood View Post

I bet he knows.

I love that kid. Nothing like asperger's on the teevee.
post #12 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Oooh! Am I right about the 'buff?

Maybe something like "chew-TUCKA-buff"? Chew-TACKA-buff?

Buff is correct. and you're right about the syllables. And you're getting close on the first part.

Edit: WHY IS THIS ABOVE THE POST I'M RESPONDING TO? TO WHICH I'M RESPONDING!
post #13 of 36
Quote:

You are very close.

Oooh! Am I right about the 'buff?

Maybe something like "chew-TUCKA-buff"? Chew-TACKA-buff?
post #14 of 36
Chew-Ka-Ka-Buffet
Every eye fixed itself upon him; with parted lips and bated breath the audience hung upon his words, taking no note of time, rapt in the ghastly fascinations of the tale. NOT!
Every eye fixed itself upon him; with parted lips and bated breath the audience hung upon his words, taking no note of time, rapt in the ghastly fascinations of the tale. NOT!
post #15 of 36
This thread reminds me of a polish beer:

Zywiec

Any takers?
The devils that drive us do not discriminate
post #16 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega View Post

This thread reminds me of a polish beer:

Zywiec

Any takers?

Zeech?

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #17 of 36
It's gotta be "Chewy-Taco-Beef"!
post #18 of 36
I myself am not 100% sure, but how I have heard it pronounced it has three syllables.
post #19 of 36
Quote:

Tchoutacabouffa

Chew-ta-guybrushthreepwoodsmom-bouffa?
post #20 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega View Post

I myself am not 100% sure, but how I have heard it pronounced it has three syllables.

yes..
post #21 of 36
Quote:

yes..

Chout-ka-buff?
post #22 of 36
How 'bout...... CHOW-ka-buff.
post #23 of 36
Quote:

yes..

I was hoping for a few more takers before the big reveal! Or are you you agreeing that it has three syllables?

(also trying to hide my ignorance in case I am wrong )
post #24 of 36
... Guide To Gulf Coast Living: Pronunciations.

Fourth word from the bottom;

Quote:
Tchoutacabouffa (chew-ta-ka-BUFF) River

Don't know if it's right, and I would never try to claim it as my guess, as my spelling/pronunciation is atrocious.
post #25 of 36
Apologies for the 3 syllables thing. I have no idea why I agreed to that, considering it has FOUR syllables (blame late-night reading of Jane Eyre, folks). Even still, some of you got very close.

Are you ready?

Drumroll, please.....

Shoot-Uh-Cah-Buff
post #26 of 36
CHEW-tu-ku-buff (the 'u's are short)

It means "broken pot"
post #27 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by icfireball View Post

CHEW-tu-ku-buff (the 'u's are short)

It means "broken pot"

Only people from the wrong side of D'Iberville pronounce it that way!

Now we need a new word. Anyone game?
post #28 of 36
Quote:

Only people from the wrong side of D'Iberville pronounce it that way!

Now we need a new word. Anyone game?

Envelope
post #29 of 36
Aaaahn-vuh-lope
post #30 of 36
En-VEL-up
post #31 of 36
Quote:

En-VEL-up

Yankee. ROUND THOSE FEKKIN' VOWELS!
post #32 of 36
Quote:

En-VEL-up

Isn't that "envelop" like the verb -- to wrap up, cover, or completely surround?
post #33 of 36
Quote:

Aaaahn-vuh-lope

That's correct, as that word is French in origin.
post #34 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by icfireball View Post

Isn't that "envelop" like the verb -- to wrap up, cover, or completely surround?

Right, and the southern version of that would be "in-VAYL-up." Or, more probably, "smother."
post #35 of 36
Quote:

Right, and the southern version of that would be "in-VAYL-up." Or, more probably, "smother."

I thought it was "in-BRAY-ed"

*ducks*

*joins SDW in his hiding place*
post #36 of 36
Fekkin yankees.

It's IN-bray-ud.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AppleOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › Word Pronunciation Fun