or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › Vampires and Martial Arts

Vampires and Martial Arts

post #1 of 19
I'm trying to think of when the first representation on film/TV of vampires knowing martial arts is. Is it simply Buffy? Blade?

Can anyone help me out?
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
post #2 of 19
The Buffy movie was 1992, and definitely had vampires who knew martial arts. I think Whedon wrote the character a few years before, at earliest.

The first Blade film was 1998, but the character was in Tomb of Dracula as early as 1973. However, I can't find any evidence that any of the vampires in the comics knew martial arts. But I'm not a comic book fan.

It's entirely possible that the comic book medium was the first instance of vampires practicing martial arts. But on film, Buffy was definitely the first. Rock on, Joss!
post #3 of 19
Certainly don't remember Nos' busting out some moves.
The devils that drive us do not discriminate
post #4 of 19
What, are you some kind of idiot? Of course vampires know martial arts. Sheesh.
Cat: the other white meat
Cat: the other white meat
post #5 of 19
I concur.

They were in fact originally known as "vampire arts."
post #6 of 19
Does anime count? I can't remember specifically, but I have to assume vampire-fu showed up early in, I dunno, Vampire Hunter D?

I mean, it's not like the Japanese are just going to let vampire-fu go unused.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
post #7 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Does anime count? I can't remember specifically, but I have to assume vampire-fu showed up early in, I dunno, Vampire Hunter D?

Is the series any good? Have a bit of time to kill and thought I should invest in watching some good anime. Did watch Ergo Proxy recently and thought is was good, albeit rushed at the end.
post #8 of 19
Quote:

Well there it is... the comics came before Buffy, and the anime as well.
post #9 of 19
For me, Buffy and Blade ...I wasn't into anime much when these came onto the tv/movie scene.
post #10 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

For me, Buffy and Blade ...I wasn't into anime much when these came onto the tv/movie scene.

Because you were more like into Sesame Street... LOL
post #11 of 19
Vampires with martial arts? Pfft, I prefer my vampires with big guns!!

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega View Post

Is the series any good?

Haven't watched D since the 90's, seem to remember it being more swords and sorcery than martial arts, but then I'm not completely sure.
You need skeptics, especially when the science gets very big and monolithic. -James Lovelock
The Story of Stuff
You need skeptics, especially when the science gets very big and monolithic. -James Lovelock
The Story of Stuff
post #12 of 19
mmm Alucard. I'm particularly fond of the way that it just. fekkin'. ended.
post #13 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwinter View Post

mmm Alucard. I'm particularly fond of the way that it just. fekkin'. ended.

Watch the 'Hellsing Ultimate' version, it apparently follows the manga more closely from what I've read about it. The original TV series ended so messed up because the author is still writing the mangas, so they just made something up.
The Story of Stuff
The Story of Stuff
post #14 of 19
Heh. That's what I've heard. I'm bust watching Monster at the moment, so I don't think I'll be free until about 2018.
post #15 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwinter View Post

Heh. That's what I've heard. I'm bust watching Monster at the moment, so I don't think I'll be free until about 2018.

Had to look that one up...sounds interesting, but wow - 74 episodes! No wonder you're going to be busy!

That's one of the reasons I try to stick to the 1 season shows.
The Story of Stuff
The Story of Stuff
post #16 of 19
post #17 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Because you were more like into Sesame Street... LOL

Are you very old? I am 30 this year... I was into Transformers as a kid, that was the extent of my anime exposure back then.
post #18 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Are you very old? I am 30 this year... I was into Transformers as a kid, that was the extent of my anime exposure back then.

haha sorry... I thought you were still a teenager now...
post #19 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by @_@ Artman View Post

There were many Chinese vampire/Martial Arts films. Most popular were the Chinese (Mr.)Vampire series of films.

Artistic masterpiece I must say...

That is the silliest thing I've seen in a while.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AppleOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › Vampires and Martial Arts