or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Rogers says Canadian iPhone 3G plans to start at $60 for 150 mins

Rogers says Canadian iPhone 3G plans to start at $60 for 150 mins - Page 2

post #41 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

That makes no sense unless you quantify it. Id est, why would I choose the $20/month unlmited data plan if their an unlimited data plan for $7.

$7 is for unlimited WAP browsing, that's it. Not a very good feature, IMO. At least with the iPhone plan I know whatever I do on the device will be covers and I won't go over the allotted data provided.
post #42 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam'ron View Post

$7 is for unlimited WAP browsing, that's it. Not a very good feature, IMO. At least with the iPhone plan I know whatever I do on the device will be covers and I won't go over the allotted data provided.

I don't think so. Knowing Rogers, as soon as you go over the allotted level, the $$$$ per MB kicks in.

I think Rogers is banking on people breaching the threshold and the dollars would be flowing in.
post #43 of 147
post #44 of 147
Doing a quick test using Facebook as the sample site... at 1.24MB, the 400MB data plan equals 333 webpages a month. NO WHERE NEAR 3000 sites... maybe if you were surfing text-based sites google.ca or the wiki homepage. But anything with an image on the page is going blow those estimates all to hell.
post #45 of 147
Quote:

I am under the impression that 400MB for $60 is cheap for Rogers. Please correct me if wrong.

PS: While un- and in- mean the same thing they have different origins. the first is Germanic and the latter is Latin. 'Unconceivable' is an inconventional spelling for 'inconceivable'.

Well $65 gets you 1 Gb right now over Edge on Rogers. The point is though that one shouldn't have to justify it by saying "Oh well, it's pretty good... for Rogers". We should be getting a better deal! Plain and simple. Our dollar is on par with the US right now and has been for a while. Is $60 US a good deal for 400Mb of data? I think not. Why are we continually being denied a true unlimited data plan? It's issues like these coupled with incredibly poor customer service that cause Rogers to be hated, but ultimately a necessary evil as there's no GSM competition here.

PS. I probably put "UN" because I was thinking about the next word "unacceptable". Oh well, as you pointed out, it wasn't exactly wrong.
post #46 of 147
Was very excited about getting an iPhone, but did keep in mind that Rogers would do its best to kill you on the charges. Unless we get some real competition up here will not be getting an iphone. Happy with the BB for now and most likely the forseeable future.

I heard even Ted Rogers can't afford one

24" iMac, 2 MB Pros, iPad Version 1, 2 x (iPhone 4s), Apple TV 3, a Shuffle and a couple of iTouches somewhere in the house. Spot on wall reserved for an Apple TV of some description. Oh yeah..and...

24" iMac, 2 MB Pros, iPad Version 1, 2 x (iPhone 4s), Apple TV 3, a Shuffle and a couple of iTouches somewhere in the house. Spot on wall reserved for an Apple TV of some description. Oh yeah..and...

post #47 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by rener View Post

For Canadians:

http://www.competitionbureau.gc.ca/e...en/01260e.html

It won't matter now that the wireless auctions are closing. The Bureau and CRTC would just point out there WILL be competition sometime soon.

Let's hope some of these emerging carriers move quickly.
post #48 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Drake View Post

Is $60 US a good deal for 400Mb of data? I think not. Why are we continually being denied a true unlimited data plan?

Well - idk. Some folks may opt for saving the $10 a month (+tax) if they don't plan on using 400MB via the cell tower (a lot of people go Wi-Fi hopping these days).

However, the fact that there is no unlimited plan is just a complete crock and until there's some real competition it's going to stay that way. AT&T has a little competition but not much that's why all our friends over in the EU are getting better deals than here in North America - massive competition.

Also - the mins on those plans look pretty crappy. Only positive I found in all of that was free incoming texts...
post #49 of 147
Quote:

That makes no sense unless you quantify it. Id est, why would I choose the $20/month unlmited data plan if their an unlimited data plan for $7.

You are right, they don't make sense. I believe that is intentional. There are some differentiating features. First, when they claim 'unlimited' you have to realize this only includes using Fido/Rogers sanctioned apps and does not include MMS messaging, or email. It is only browsing data. When I called them, they claim it is not limited to a few preprogrammed sites or WAP sites. So, the differet plans do differ based on email levels, MMS options, number of text messages.

The point was, that you could add the various data plans onto your existing voice package.

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
post #50 of 147
Quote:

The Fido reps I spoke to about this plan last week said it is absolutely not limited to WAP sites*. The $7 does only include web browsing though, so you are right, it is still very limited.

* I am fully open to the possibility that the were lying or were referring to the $15 or $20 plans.

...sometimes it's both

...sometimes it's both
post #51 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

The Fido reps I spoke to about this plan last week said it is absolutely not limited to WAP sites*. The $7 does only include web browsing though, so you are right, it is still very limited.

* I am fully open to the possibility that the were lying or were referring to the $15 or $20 plans.

Well, the phones that plan works with all pretty much have crap browsers that don't do real html. I don't think it supports the N95, I could be wrong though. Either way, all you get is browsing. At least with my gouging iPhone plan I can go to YouTube, do GPS shite, browse, download music, etc. I'm not overly ecstatic about this pricing but they finally have data prices that aren't completely insane (related to past pricing of Rogers only of course).
post #52 of 147
Quote:

Well, the phones that plan works with all pretty much have crap browsers that don't do real html. I don't think it supports the N95, I could be wrong though. Either way, all you get is browsing. At least with my gouging iPhone plan I can go to YouTube, do GPS shite, browse, download music, etc. I'm not overly ecstatic about this pricing but they finally have data prices that aren't completely insane (related to past pricing of Rogers only of course).

What I don't like about them is that I cannot add the iphone data portion to my existing voice plan. For me to get an iphone plan and not lose current features, I would need the $75 iphone plan + the $20 'Value' pack add-on. I currently get 300 daytime, unlimited nights/weekends starting at 7PM and call display, call forwarding, voice mail etc. The closest iPhone plan from Rogers/Fido is $75 (to get the 300 daytime minutes) and I would need the $20 to get my call display and 7PM evenings back. That is $95, which is over 3x the monthly rate I pay now. Essentially, I am paying $65 more per month for the data side. That I cannot just add on data to my existing plan for some reasonable rate is bullshit.

I was going to get one, but absolutely will not be upgrading in the near or medium term until the plans drop in price or Rogers/Fido announces how they will handle existing customers with existing plans. I should not have to give up features to get the iphone nor should I have to triple my monthly bill to get the iphone and keep my existing features. These are currently the options provided, so I am a no.

...sometimes it's both

...sometimes it's both
post #53 of 147
Wow I am a Canadian and I would rather see Apple pull the iPhone 3G from the market than let this jack ass company take advantage of the people.
post #54 of 147
At Canada.com, the end of the article states:

Rogers said data-less plans for the iPhone, with just voice and basic text, will start at $15 a month.

If this is true, it might be the only way I can afford an iPhone!
Of course, the $15 is probably minimal minutes and doesn't include the SAF etc.
post #55 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabohn View Post

At Canada.com, the end of the article states:

Rogers said data-less plans for the iPhone, with just voice and basic text, will start at $15 a month.

If this is true, it might be the only way I can afford an iPhone!
Of course, the $15 is probably minimal minutes and doesn't include the SAF etc.

Now, if they would go the other way too...have a data only portion that you could get to add-on to your existing voice plan.

Too bad. I would have liked an iPhone. Rogers could have played fair and would have attracted many more new users. As it is, here I am, an Apple user since 1982 and an existing Fido/Rogers customer (~8-9 years) who has been patiently waiting for the Canadian release for a year. I a SW developer in the tech industry and my office is surrounded by RIM staff and offices and I have never had an interesting in paying for a BB. I am a perfect, brand loyal, target customer and I will not be buying an iPhone from Rogers unless something changes. If they can't get me to buy (who should have been their easiest sale), then there are probably many, many others who feel the same and will also not buy. The have blown their opportunity by using the pent up demand for the iPhone for a little gouging. Perhaps, when Canadian numbers fall below expectations and certainly below other countries offering decent plans, Rogers will wake up and make some corrections.

...sometimes it's both

...sometimes it's both
post #56 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by rener View Post

For Canadians:

http://www.competitionbureau.gc.ca/e...en/01260e.html

wicked. thanks man. i will post this on the other forums
post #57 of 147
Oh what the f*. I honestly thought apple had straightened out rogers similar to AT&T, but wow. I'm gonna try to ebay one or something.
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleinsider vBulletin Message

You have been banned for the following reason:
Three personal attacks in one post. Congratulations.
Date the ban will be lifted:...
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleinsider vBulletin Message

You have been banned for the following reason:
Three personal attacks in one post. Congratulations.
Date the ban will be lifted:...
post #58 of 147
Wish AT&T would offer an unlimited plan such as Sprint's Simply Everything Unlimited plan for $99.99/month. I think that is a great plan but do not know how well the Sprint Network is. My plan just ended for Nextel, and am deciding about the Instinct from Sprint or wait for the New 3G iPhone. Total additional cost over contract for same option is extra $720. Big difference, but gotta see if it is worth it.
post #59 of 147
What a joke. But not unexpected. Rogers is a horrible horrible company.
I was waiting to cancel my Razor with Rogers until the iPhone came out, I guess I can now go ahead and cancel it. You would have to be extremely wealthy, or a complete idiot to sign that contract. Mind you, the government imposed a law that only lets them sue you for a maximum of $250 for breaking a cell contract.
Looks like a lot of people are going to get bad credit and a $250 lawsuit.

Looks like iPod Touch for me.
I hope this spawns a more open access network, hotspots. I also hope a meteor falls on Rogers HQ and kills them all.
post #60 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by rain View Post

I hope this spawns a more open access network, hotspots. I also hope a meteor falls on Rogers HQ and kills them all.

I hope they include a barrel of lube with each contract. Otherwise there are going to be a lot of ripped off Canadians walking around sore.

...sometimes it's both

...sometimes it's both
post #61 of 147
What about a family plan?
I have a family plan with Bell and I was hoping getting one with Rogers.
I live in Montreal, work in another city (50km away) and my girl lives in another place (another 50km away). I was counting on voice plan that includes some long distance time (1000 min or illimited) to communicate with work or my girl (like I have with Bell) and then add a 30$ or so data plan.

If I quit Bell for Rogers, we'll be needing a cell phone for her (I was even considering getting her an iPhone) and an iPhone for me. But what will be the final costs? For what us frenchmen call "une bebelle" (a toy)...

Gee, I hope on july 11th Rogers will have somekind of flexibility... (I am dreaming).

I cant wait to see the coming of Videotron in this game. Only then us Canadian, will finally get fair service for our money.
post #62 of 147
well - i can't say i'm surprised. just disappointed.

after ten years without a cell phone i was ready to consider getting tethered to the net full time again - i guess my boycott of canadian cellphone rates will continue... good thing the iPod Touch does most of what i want and open hot spots are plentyful even in the small village of Tofino at the end of the road...

there is NO WAY i would sign up for a plan that cost more than 100 loonies a month for THREE years. i've been burned before and i swore that would never happen again. i can't say i have much faith in the emerging competition either - and don't even get me started on the CRTC.

EPIC FAIL is right!
post #63 of 147
What a surprise, there's no unlimited data plan AT ALL, and it's a god damn rip off just to get basic voice service on this thing.

I'm not content to just blame Rogers any more. Every big asshole corporate will screw you if there are no laws and regulations stopping them. Canada is still living in the stone age of cell phone service, and our pathetic government doesn't do a damn thing about it.

F*ck this stupid country.
post #64 of 147
Quote:

While un- and in- mean the same thing they have different origins. the first is Germanic and the latter is Latin.

Wow. I learnt something today!
post #65 of 147
Although I feel very badly for our Canadian brethren, I do have to say that you guys had me LMAO-ing most of the way through this thread! I am very impressed by your sense of humor and grace even whilst getting totally violated.
post #66 of 147
The fault for this nonsense lies squarely with the CRTC (Canada's incompetent version of the FCC.)

By letting Rogers purchase Fido, they gave Canada a GSM monopoly and Apple had little leverage in negotiating carriage.

My Treo 650 will now take me into 2009. Hopefully things will get better when the new GSM provider gets up and running.
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
post #67 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Restalot View Post

Don't forget about the $8/month "system access fee" (= Ted Rogers 'bet I fooled you to think this was a gov't surcharge' Stupidity tax)

And the $0.50 911 access fee's...

So the basic plan with Caller ID (who doesn't want/deserve caller ID?!?) is:

$60 Base Fee
$15 Caller ID (and other less know/unused features)
$8 Ted Roger's Stupidity Tax
$0.50 911 Fee
======
$83.50 /mo
+ 5% GST
+ 7% PST (depends on province)
======
$93.52/mo
x 3years
======
$3,366.72

Old Teddy will be very happy.

Thanks for the calculation and the pun (Government Stupidity Tax). I didn't realize that the cost was going to be that bad.

In Quebec, Montreal based Fido is still big. I believe that it was bought first by ATT Canada, and then ATT Canada was bought by Rogers to launch its cellphone service. That's why Fido is a partner to Rogers and shares the same rates.

Thanks for the calculation.

\\\
post #68 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcode View Post

Doing a quick test using Facebook as the sample site... at 1.24MB, the 400MB data plan equals 333 webpages a month. NO WHERE NEAR 3000 sites... maybe if you were surfing text-based sites google.ca or the wiki homepage. But anything with an image on the page is going blow those estimates all to hell.

I've used an iPhone since last June on the 1 GB / $65 plan. I use my iPhone *a lot* but I frankly never cracked 180 MB in a month. That includes facebook, livejournal, blog browsing, news sites, youtube, etc.

This plan is way better than their prior pricing.
post #69 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

The fault for this nonsense lies squarely with the CRTC (Canada's incompetent version of the FCC.)

By letting Rogers purchase Fido, they gave Canada a GSM monopoly and Apple had little leverage in negotiating carriage.

My Treo 650 will now take me into 2009. Hopefully things will get better when the new GSM provider gets up and running.

This has nothing to do with the CRTC. Telus was going to buy Fido, and Rogers outbid them. That's basically it. They *became* competitive with Bell and Telus through that move -- Rogers wasn't close to its position back then.

The only hope you have for another GSM provider is if Telus decides to switch networks. That's a huge multi-billion dollar investment that may or may not happen. There was a rumour about it last year -- nothing since to my knowledge. Bell Mobility likely wouldn't make such a move due to the capital costs.

What Rogers is doing isn't anti-competitive, or price gouging. They've *dropped* their data rates to levels that would have been unfathomable in Canada only 2 years ago. They're charging what the market will bear -- and yes I agree they would be better off if they dropped the prices even further (3G has been in the Toronto area for 2+ years -- does anyone use it??) but I think they're taking a wait and see approach.

Let's not forget that $60 is the same cost as the basic iPhone U.S. plan and for most purposes is similar. Canadian plans are *always* more expensive minute-per-minute on any carrier. And you'd have to be on your iPhone a shit ton -- more than your home computer! -- to crack 400 MB. Not that some business people won't , especially those with large email attachments, but businesses pay for that. Does it suck it's more than the U.S.? Sure! The only way it will get better is if the carriers start a price war. You're not likely going to get the government to force them to triple your minutes ;-)

All Telcos suck in their own ways , do you honestly think this would be better with Bell or Telus? It's fun to bitch about it but what else can ya do....
post #70 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

Dead on. Rogers almost never operates in a field where they are not a monopoly. The family just is not smart enough to compete with others.

While the have to compete with other cellular providers, the CRTC decision meant they by buying Fido, they did not have to compete within the GSM market. Now that 3G is really differentiating the GSM network from Bell and Telus, they are using the single most desired phone on the market to profiteer on their monopoly.

...sometimes it's both

...sometimes it's both
post #71 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by ouragan View Post

Thanks for the calculation and the pun (Government Stupidity Tax). I didn't realize that the cost was going to be that bad.

In Quebec, Montreal based Fido is still big. I believe that it was bought first by ATT Canada, and then ATT Canada was bought by Rogers to launch its cellphone service. That's why Fido is a partner to Rogers and shares the same rates.

Thanks for the calculation.

\\\

No, Rogers bought ATT Canada and launch the Rogers network before buying Fido. Rogers couldn't get customers and Fido had a more advanced network, so buying Fido got them a million or so new customers and a better network...and a GSM monopoly.

...sometimes it's both

...sometimes it's both
post #72 of 147
You'd think they'd offer Rogers/Shaw cable subscribers discounts on iPhone plans.

They'd make even more $$ then with all the Telus/Bell switchers.
post #73 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by parasubvert View Post

This has nothing to do with the CRTC. Telus was going to buy Fido, and Rogers outbid them. That's basically it. They *became* competitive with Bell and Telus through that move -- Rogers wasn't close to its position back then.

Rogers wasn't close because the were incompetent.

And it was the CRTC that allowed the purchse, which a)immediately reduced competition in the overall cell market (resulting in an immediate doubling of overage and LD charges for Fido customers) b) immediately created a GSM monopoly. For either and both of these reasons, the CRTC should have done their job and rejected the purchase. Imaging Rogers having to compete in a market. Their monopoly in cable gives them a huge warchest to move into new businesses, but unless the are a monopoly in that market, do they ever succeed?

...sometimes it's both

...sometimes it's both
post #74 of 147
Just look at Italy's iphone prices --- 2 carriers selling iphones in Italy and the price is still high.
post #75 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by rothmans View Post

In the largest country on the planet with a population of 33 million (less than California) the answer was a no-brainer.

80% of the Canadian Land is human free :-) The area from Québec to Toronto has the same people density as most urban region in the US.

post #76 of 147
I do have some questions:
Does Rogers Plan include these like At&T does

1. Roll-over minutes ( I really want that)
2. Free long Distances call in the whole country
3. Free Roaming
and stuff like Call ID, Call forwarding etc. ?

Is it possible to ask Rogers to Cut my internet access once I have reach the 400MB Limit ?

I hope to built a chart to compare the iPhone plan in many country after July 11.
post #77 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofino View Post

i can't say i have much faith in the emerging competition either - and don't even get me started on the CRTC.
EPIC FAIL is right!

I do not understand why the CRTC has allowed the Big Three to Bid on the soon to be release 700 MHz because the already have a network. The CRTC only kept 40% of the frequency to newcomers. They should have given all to new company.

I know the 700 MHZ has some advantage over higher frequency but I really doubt that Bell or Rogers are going to deploy all brand new equipment on the 700 MHz anytime soon.

I am missing something?

I really wish Google or AT&T would have bid in Canada. :-(

post #78 of 147
I have a bandwidth limit on my home internet and let me tell you, it is a major bitch. I get 500 MB per 24 hour period and when I go over my limit, it get's deathly slow. And it's very easy to go over 500 MBs of bandwidth in one day. Even when I don't download anything, the average bandwidth per day is around 130 MB just for internet use. I know the bandwidth is a lot less on a phone, but it adds up quickly, especially if you download a song on the iTunes mobile store or something.
post #79 of 147
U.S. is pretty bad for cell phone prices compared to Europe and Asia, but wow, I never knew until now how terribly bad Canadians have it with Rogers. I mean those prices are enough to make a grown man cry.
post #80 of 147
And one more thing, a quick google search found this:

http://www.ihaterogers.ca/
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Rogers says Canadian iPhone 3G plans to start at $60 for 150 mins