or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › AT&T announces iPhone 3G plans, 8 a.m. launch time on July 11
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

AT&T announces iPhone 3G plans, 8 a.m. launch time on July 11

post #1 of 263
Thread Starter 
AT&T announced Tuesday that iPhone 3G buyers will be forced into more costly service plans than those offered alongside the original iPhone. Plans will now start at $70 for a package that includes 450 minutes and no text messages. The carrier also issued a series of "tips" on how to be "iReady" when the new Apple handset goes on sale at its retail stores at 8 a.m. local time on Friday, July 11.

Pricing and Eligibility

iPhone 3G will be available for $199 for the 8GB model and $299 for the 16GB model. Both prices require two-year contracts and are available to the following customers:
iPhone customers who purchased before July 11
Customers activating a new line with AT&T
Current AT&T customers who are eligible, at the time of purchase, for an upgrade discount
Existing AT&T customers who are not currently eligible for an upgrade discount can purchase iPhone 3G for $399 for the 8GB model or $499 for the 16GB model. Both options require a new two-year service agreement. In the future, AT&T will offer a no-contract-required option for $599 (8GB) or $699 (16GB).

Current customers may also choose to wait until they become eligible for an upgrade discount. Eligibility is generally determined by amount of time remaining on a current contract and payment history. Customers can check their upgrade eligibility and other wireless account information at www.att.com/iphone. The site also includes a series of "Get iReady" tips and frequently asked questions.

Current AT&T customers who are upgrading to iPhone 3G will be forced to pay an $18 upgrade fee and new AT&T customers will be forced to pay "the standard $36 activation fee."

Voice, Data and Text Messaging Plans

AT&T said iPhone 3G customers can choose from four individual AT&T Nation plans, which bundle voice and unlimited data (e-mail and Web browsing) but no SMS messages (which will cost extra):


AT&T NationSM Unlimited: Includes unlimited Anytime Minutes for $129.99 a month.
AT&T Nation 1350: Includes 1350 Anytime Minutes and unlimited Night & Weekend Minutes for $109.99 a month.
AT&T Nation 900: Includes 900 Anytime Minutes and unlimited Night & Weekend Minutes for $89.99 a month.
AT&T Nation 450: Includes 450 Anytime Minutes and 5,000 Night & Weekend Minutes for $69.99 a month.
All AT&T Nation and AT&T FamilyTalk plans for iPhone 3G include nationwide long distance and roaming, Visual Voicemail, Rollover, unlimited Mobile to Mobile calling, Call Forwarding, Call Waiting, Three-Way Calling and Caller ID.



AT&T will offer FamilyTalk plans, with bundled voice and unlimited data, starting as low as $129.99 a month for two iPhone 3G lines. Up to three additional iPhone lines can be added for $39.99 each.



Unlimited text messaging can be added for an additional $20 ($30 for FamilyTalk plans of up to five lines); $15 (1,500 messages), or $5 (200 messages).

iPhone for Business

Business customers interested in iPhone 3G should contact an AT&T business sales representative or review their account information online to determine their eligibility for upgrade pricing. Corporate e-mail and other business applications require the Enterprise Data Plan for iPhone, which is $45 a month and bundled with an eligible voice plan. Small business customers may qualify for AT&T BusinessTalk, a shared plan specifically for small businesses. Additional details on iPhone business offerings are available at www.att.com/iphoneforbusiness.

iPhone 2.0 Software

All iPhone customers will benefit from the iPhone 2.0 software, which will be pre-loaded on all iPhone 3Gs and available as a free download for current iPhone customers. The new software will include numerous enhancements, such as business-class e-mail access via Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync; the iPhone Software Development Kit (SDK), which allows a business to easily create applications customized to its needs; and the App Store, which offers a wide-range of applications from games to business, education to entertainment and productivity to social networking. For example, AT&T has developed YELLOWPAGES.COM Mobile for iPhone, which takes local mobile search to a new level by allowing users to discover businesses and local events based on their popularity among other iPhone users, get directions and access business reviews.

AppleInsider readers are discussing the new plans in the forums,
post #2 of 263
I did a 1 year deal on a BlackJack in early '07 because the iPhone wasn't out and I had to have a smart (relatively) phone ASAP. My guess was that when the one year was up I'd be able to get into a next gen iPhone. Timed it just about right.

I'm ready to get rid of this POS BlackJack. I'll save money because I won't have to pay a hefty premium for tethering. Shouldn't need tethering as much though since the iPhone will cover some chores and I can hunt for open WiFi other times.

The extra fee for text messaging is still an annoyance.

gc
post #3 of 263
"iReady"? - that's tacky AT&T for you.
post #4 of 263
Huh?! So, the iPhone isn't actually $199, its $399? Then, I have to pay between $70-$130 a month?

That doesn't make sense, and it feels a lot like bait and switch. I've never had an iPhone, and was thinking of getting one. But this puts a bad taste in my mouth. I think I'll sit it out.
post #5 of 263
So you get unlimited data but 0 text messages are included? Oy vey.
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
Reply
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
Reply
post #6 of 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keda View Post

Huh?! So, the iPhone isn't actually $199, its $399? Then, I have to pay between $70-$130 a month?

That doesn't make sense, and it feels a lot like bait and switch. I've never had an iPhone, and was thinking of getting one. But this puts a bad taste in my mouth. I think I'll sit it out.

It's the subsidized price. We've known that for a month now. It's not bait and switch (which is illegal) but it is a subsidization (a marketing tactic I don't like but one that is legal) which means the actual cost of the handset is rolled into the carriers monthly fees.

BTW, the $399 is ONLY for those who are with AT&T but not eligible to get a new phone yet. The unsubsidized price is $599 for the 8GB model and $699 or the 16GB model.

PS: I think most AT&T contract cancelation fees are under $200 so it might behoove some of your to pay your cancelation fee first then sign up for the 3G iPhone.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #7 of 263
As much slack as I'm generally willing to cut Apple, I'd be upset if I were a first gen owner now being hit with an extra $10/mo that is generally assumed to be AT&T's charge for subsidizing the 3G phones.
And that's $10 extra for a feature useless to first gen owners.
post #8 of 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keda View Post

Huh?! So, the iPhone isn't actually $199, its $399? Then, I have to pay between $70-$130 a month?

That doesn't make sense, and it feels a lot like bait and switch. I've never had an iPhone, and was thinking of getting one. But this puts a bad taste in my mouth. I think I'll sit it out.

I Have the feeling you did not fully read. The iPhone is $399 for current AT&T customers who are not eligible for a discounted upgrade. It says if you are not eligible for the upgrade now, you can wait until you are.
post #9 of 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flounder View Post

So you get unlimited data but 0 text messages are included? Oy vey.

The outrageous price bump on text messages seems highly unwarranted. I see a potential for a class action here.

Either way, I'll just abuse the data more with IMs and emails that use excessively more data just for header info.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #10 of 263
I miss the option to add the iPhone data plan to an existing ATT voice plan. I'd be totally fine if the upgrade option was now $30 for the 3G... But it seems like that is no longer going to work... This means the iPhone isnt $10 more expensive for me, its really $20 more expensive, while providing me less minutes than before.

Don't get me wrong, I don't have any problem with the iPhone data package being $30 a month, as that is standard fare for ATT 3G service (the current iPhone rate plan was the cheapest in the business next to the Sidekicks data packagebut who the hell wants a Sidekick!?). My problem is now I am forced into a bundled package voice / data plan that will cost me more while giving me less. That just seems lame when all I want to do is upgrade my device.

My current iPhone plan:

IPHONE DATA WITH UNLIMITED TXT: $40

VOICE: 1000 voice minutes for $50

I signed up at some random cart in the mall on the day of the iPhone launch, got a free crappy backup phone, and saved on the voice plan because EVERYONE will deal on voice rates except corporate stores. That made me an existing ATT customer 30 minutes before the iPhone went on sale last June and thus eligible for the $20 a month iPhone upgrade.

So, my current monthly fee is $90.

With the new iPhone, Id be paying $90, lose 100 minutes a month (the package only gives you 900 minutes), AND lose texting. When I add the text package, Im at $110 a month before taxes, fees, blah blah blah.

That seems pretty lame. Paying over $20 more a month and getting less service makes my current iPhone seem miiiighty fine. Once MobileMe rolls out (Im already a heavy .Mac user) Ill be just fine. Ill wait and upgrade once the phone has video conferencing, a better camera, a flash, is thinner, will clean my house, etc, etc, etc.

=]
post #11 of 263
I'm appalled at the arrogance of these phone companies - AT&T in particular. What better way to say "f**k you" to your existing, paying, loyal customers. You're not "eligible" for an upgrade? WTF is that? I'm signing, agreeing, committing to an additional 2 years of PAYING YOU and you want to nickle and dime me on the hardware?

I'm glad I'm eligible, but if I wasn't, Apple would be loosing another iPhone sale. AT&T is greed. Pure and simple.
post #12 of 263
I currently own an iPhone and I feel like I'm actually getting raped by AT&T after seeing those prices. I'm on a family share plan and my current plan is $30/month. Now with added texting (not included...) it's going to be >$70/month? This sucks. Does anyone else agree?

I'm afraid to even think about what they're going to do to use when the 3rd iPhone is released sometime in the future...
post #13 of 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by GQB View Post

As much slack as I'm generally willing to cut Apple, I'd be upset if I were a first gen owner now being hit with an extra $10/mo that is generally assumed to be AT&T's charge for subsidizing the 3G phones.
And that's $10 extra for a feature useless to first gen owners.

No we are paying $10 more for 3G data speed. Which the 1st gen iPhone does not have.
post #14 of 263
I just have to rant about this one more time. TEXT MESSAGES ARE THE BIGGEST RIP OFF IN THE WORLD!! It takes NOTHING for a carrier to deliver an SMS. It's only a few bits of text. It just angers me so much for some reason. I actually kinda jumped down a guy's throat who was trying to sell me the unlimited text messaging one time. I can find some other way to send text than to pay them for NOTHING!!

Otherwise, I have nothing to complain about. Our family plan won't go up by much with 2 iPhones on it. Being a business owner, I understand that you have to go up sometimes. However, I would never charge more than $5/mo for unlimited SMS!

Ok. I'm done.
post #15 of 263
How long does it take to become eligible for an upgraded phone? I got mine on day one of the first generation.
post #16 of 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DG View Post

I'm appalled at the arrogance of these phone companies - AT&T in particular. What better way to say "f**k you" to your existing, paying, loyal customers. You're not "eligible" for an upgrade? WTF is that? I'm signing, agreeing, committing to an additional 2 years of PAYING YOU and you want to nickle and dime me on the hardware?

I'm glad I'm eligible, but if I wasn't, Apple would be loosing another iPhone sale. AT&T is greed. Pure and simple.

Yes, they are greedy, but this move is not unwarranted in any way. If they let you upgrade your phone when ever you want they would go bankrupt.

For instance, if I was able to get a phone worth $200 for free and I was constantly eligible for an upgrade then I walk right back in the store 10 minutes later and get a new phone which I could later sell on eBay for a hefty profit.

The upgrade time frames are to ensure that the carrier gets the money they fronted you for the phone back before they let you upgrade. If you don't like it you can buy your handset outright instead of letting them credit it to you to avoid this issue.

iPhone users are getting a deal, in a way, as they are being allowed to get a new iPhone at the upgrade price well before their official upgrade date. I'm guessing the only reason this is happening is that Apple is not requiring AT&T pay them for the additional contractual months on the original iPhone revenue sharing plan. Otherwise that would be financially unsound for AT&T, even with the $10/month in data fees.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #17 of 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Contegni View Post

I currently own an iPhone and I feel like I'm actually getting raped by AT&T after seeing those prices. I'm on a family share plan and my current plan is $30/month. Now with added texting (not included...) it's going to be >$70/month? This sucks. Does anyone else agree?

Yes.
I was going to give my original iPhone to my son and add a new 3g for me... but it looks like, having the family plan and 3 iPhones already, that I would be paying at least $45 a month more just to add a 3g iPhone- plus the $199 for the phone!
I don't think I will do that.

Wow, 2 Apple products that I won't be the first to buy in one year! The Macbook Air, and the iPhone 3g... \
post #18 of 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkorsgard View Post

How long does it take to become eligible for an upgraded phone? I got mine on day one of the first generation.

All current iPhone users are automatically eligible for the upgrade price. As for other phones, I think it's 22 months.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #19 of 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Contegni View Post

I currently own an iPhone and I feel like I'm actually getting raped by AT&T after seeing those prices. I'm on a family share plan and my current plan is $30/month. Now with added texting (not included...) it's going to be >$70/month? This sucks. Does anyone else agree?

I'm afraid to even think about what they're going to do to use when the 3rd iPhone is released sometime in the future...

The current equivalent plans, for one phone, which is what is shown, are $10/month less. I pay $60/month for my phone for the 450/unlimited data. With the upgrade I will pay $75/month (including $5 for 200 SMS). That's it. So I save $200 on the price and pay $360 on the contract. So $160/24 months - < $7/month for 3G speeds. Worth it?

Since I don't use SMS in any case (for reasons stated above) its < $2/month more. Seems reasonable. Certainly not going to scare anyone away that actually looks at it.
post #20 of 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flounder View Post

So you get unlimited data but 0 text messages are included? Oy vey.

In this economy are the flipping crazy.... Guess that got to pay for that fancy new Head Quaters in Dallas they are building...

No Text and raised the price, I guess there was no mention of adding just data to my current plan.
post #21 of 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Contegni View Post

I currently own an iPhone and I feel like I'm actually getting raped by AT&T after seeing those prices. I'm on a family share plan and my current plan is $30/month. Now with added texting (not included...) it's going to be >$70/month? This sucks. Does anyone else agree?

I'm afraid to even think about what they're going to do to use when the 3rd iPhone is released sometime in the future...

I agree my jaw dropped when I saw the prices.

But to look at it from AT&T perspective this is all they will be able to charge. Nearly every other mobile phone company attempts to lock its customers into proprietary media and music services as a way to make more revenue. That is not an option with the iPhone.

With the iPhone we are free to load any media or music we choose. We are free to stream as much internet media or music as we like. Other mobile phones charge for this functionality while AT&T will receive nothing additional.
post #22 of 263
World class fark-job from ATT here. I upgraded my ATT phone in March, not knowing what the story was gonna be with iphone 3G. And now I'm screwed on the price. That's cool, I'd rather wait than give ATT one more dime than I have to.
post #23 of 263
Steve Jobs stated publicly that the iPhone 3G would cost $199 (8GB) and $299 (16GB). No conditions. Obviously then, if AT&T charges more, then Apple will subsidize us for the difference.
post #24 of 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by physguy View Post

The current equivalent plans, for one phone, which is what is shown, are $10/month less. I pay $60/month for my phone for the 450/unlimited data. With the upgrade I will pay $70/month. That's it. So I save $200 on the price and pay $240 on the contract. So $40/24 months - < $2/month for 3G speeds. Worth it?

When you put it that way, it doesn't look as bad.

But when you look at my current status, paying $30 per month and now all of a sudden having to pay $70 per month, I'm really getting screwed (as are many other people.) The iPhone 3G only has a couple better features; other from GPS and 3G it's practically the same phone. I don't think it's nearly enough for AT&T to escalate the prices that much.

Yes I understand 3G is a more expensive service to provide than EDGE. But as a customer, paying over a 100% premium, the only difference will be faster date (if you have 3G coverage in your area.)
post #25 of 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by guppy737 View Post

World class fark-job from ATT here. I upgraded my ATT phone in March, not knowing what the story was gonna be with iphone 3G. And now I'm screwed on the price. That's cool, I'd rather wait than give ATT one more dime than I have to.

What exactly did you think was going to happen. You can call AT&T right now to find your upgrade eligibility date. It was in the contract you signed for the phone.

I had this discussion with an AI last week that was adamant that he wasn't going to have to cancel his current contract in order to get the iPhone for $199.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foo2 View Post

Steve Jobs stated publicly that the iPhone 3G would cost $199 (8GB) and $299 (16GB). No conditions. Obviously then, if AT&T charges more, then Apple will subsidize us for the difference.

No conditions, eh? I think you need to re-watch the keynote.


PS: I'm constantly shaking my head why so many people on these forums don't understand how a subsidies or selling items for a profit works.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #26 of 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DG View Post

I'm appalled at the arrogance of these phone companies - AT&T in particular. What better way to say "f**k you" to your existing, paying, loyal customers. You're not "eligible" for an upgrade? WTF is that? I'm signing, agreeing, committing to an additional 2 years of PAYING YOU and you want to nickle and dime me on the hardware?

I'm glad I'm eligible, but if I wasn't, Apple would be loosing another iPhone sale. AT&T is greed. Pure and simple.

My experience with AT&T (I've been a customer since right after they changed from BellSouth Mobility to Cingular, about 6 years or so) has been that the "Contract" is decidedly one-sided. They have changed items in my service more than once without asking me first to at least come sign a new contract. Oh, I'm sure there's some line in the contract concerning reserving that right but it would be nice to at least be notified.
For instance, when I initially signed up, text messaging was free. Imagine that! Not even a year into my contract I get my bill and see over $30 in texting fees. They were $.10/minute. Funny, the contract for service I signed said they were free.
Last month, they changed a service on me. They data plan I signed up for had been replaced by something else so they changed my plan to the next closest thing. No fee hike this time, and I'm not loosing anything really. It would have been nice to have known before I got the bill.
Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
-Walter Lippmann
Reply
Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
-Walter Lippmann
Reply
post #27 of 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Contegni View Post

When you put it that way, it doesn't look as bad.

But when you look at my current status, paying $30 per month and now all of a sudden having to pay $70 per month, I'm really getting screwed (as are many other people.) The iPhone 3G only has a couple better features; other from GPS and 3G it's practically the same phone. I don't think it's nearly enough for AT&T to escalate the prices that much.

Yes I understand 3G is a more expensive service to provide than EDGE, but as a customer, paying over a 100% premium, the only difference will be faster date (if you have 3G coverage in your area.)

What plan are you on that is only $30/month? Those listed above are identical to those listed at the launch of the iPhone a year ago. If you have some other plan then have you asked ATT if that other plan is also now available at about the same premium? So far I don't see anything unreasonable in AT&T proposals. I'm sure, based on the original launch, that there are other plans around. I know, for a fact, that business plans are out now as we are looking at switching to them.
post #28 of 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by physguy View Post

What plan are you on that is only $30/month? Those listed above are identical to those listed at the launch of the iPhone a year ago. If you have some other plan then have you asked ATT if that other plan is also now available at about the same premium? So far I don't see anything unreasonable in AT&T proposals. I'm sure, based on the original launch, that there are other plans around. I know, for a fact, that business plans are out now as we are looking at switching to them.

I'm on a family share plan. My line is $9.99 and the iPhone service is $19.99.
post #29 of 263
I pay 104 a month for 900 minutes and 1500 text messages. So now it's going to cost an extra 10 dollars a month just for 3g and 15 bucks for 1500 text messages. And if I want to use Activesync I have to get an additional 45 dollar plan? Am I reading that wrong? I don't think it's fair to *seemingly* lock out Activesync to only business users. WTF is that about? I've had other provider smartphones (T-Mobile Dash) have Activesync built-in and it was free to use it. I never had to suscribe to an additional plan for activesync. Overall, I think I will be passing on this phone.
post #30 of 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by carletonguy View Post

I miss the option to add the iPhone data plan to an existing ATT voice plan. I'd be totally fine if the upgrade option was now $30 for the 3G... But it seems like that is no longer going to work... This means the iPhone isnt $10 more expensive for me, its really $20 more expensive, while providing me less minutes than before.

Don't get me wrong, I don't have any problem with the iPhone data package being $30 a month, as that is standard fare for ATT 3G service (the current iPhone rate plan was the cheapest in the business next to the Sidekicks data packagebut who the hell wants a Sidekick!?). My problem is now I am forced into a bundled package voice / data plan that will cost me more while giving me less. That just seems lame when all I want to do is upgrade my device.

My current iPhone plan:

IPHONE DATA WITH UNLIMITED TXT: $40

VOICE: 1000 voice minutes for $50

I signed up at some random cart in the mall on the day of the iPhone launch, got a free crappy backup phone, and saved on the voice plan because EVERYONE will deal on voice rates except corporate stores. That made me an existing ATT customer 30 minutes before the iPhone went on sale last June and thus eligible for the $20 a month iPhone upgrade.

So, my current monthly fee is $90.

With the new iPhone, Id be paying $90, lose 100 minutes a month (the package only gives you 900 minutes), AND lose texting. When I add the text package, Im at $110 a month before taxes, fees, blah blah blah.

That seems pretty lame. Paying over $20 more a month and getting less service makes my current iPhone seem miiiighty fine. Once MobileMe rolls out (Im already a heavy .Mac user) Ill be just fine. Ill wait and upgrade once the phone has video conferencing, a better camera, a flash, is thinner, will clean my house, etc, etc, etc.

=]


well, $20 a month over 24 months is $480, so if the price difference of getting an iphone 3G w/o the contract extension is less than that, you can probably fly under the radar and keep your plan. If your phone is 3G capable, i doubt that they would be able to restrict your account's individual access to 3G if you had it enabled on your phone.
post #31 of 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

I Have the feeling you did not fully read. The iPhone is $399 for current AT&T customers who are not eligible for a discounted upgrade. It says if you are not eligible for the upgrade now, you can wait until you are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

BTW, the $399 is ONLY for those who are with AT&T but not eligible to get a new phone yet. The unsubsidized price is $599 for the 8GB model and $699 or the 16GB model.

PS: I think most AT&T contract cancelation fees are under $200 so it might behoove some of your to pay your cancelation fee first then sign up for the 3G iPhone.


I did read the text fully, and think it is horse shit.

If I were move to an iPhone form my current phone, it would 100% benefit ATT. My monthly cost would jump and I would need to start my 2 years of servitude from scratch. While this might not be bait and switch (thanks counselor), it sure seems shady.

Apple's site lists the base price as $199 w/ a 2-yr plan. It says nothing about upgrade eligibility or costs. Both Apple and ATT have publicized the $199 price...again w/no mention of a subsidy. Who are the "we" that has know of the subsidy? I searched Apple and CNN--nada. The only mention of cost that I found was $199 & $299.

There has been no publication of the "eligibility" periods. I am a reluctant ATT customer, and have been putting up w/their crap service/coverage for a while now because I'd like to get an iPhone. My old phone died in December, and I was forced to buy a replacement. There was no mention of this action adding $200 to my future iPhone purchase. I bought the most basic model, so that I could minimize my financial hit. I also specifically told the ATT rep of my plan to replace the phone, and was told it wouldn't be a problem.

From the iPhone site:

"Phone, iPod, and Internet in one fast 3G device. Starting at $199.*"
"* Based on 3G and EDGE testing. Actual speeds vary by site conditions. Based on iPhone 3G (8GB) and first-generation iPhone (8GB) purchases. Requires new 2-year AT&T rate plan, sold separately."

From Apple's press release:

"In the US the new iPhone 3G is priced at a stunning $199 for the 8GB model, and just $299 for the 16GB model.** "
"**Based on iPhone 3G (8GB) and first generation iPhone (8GB) purchases. Requires new two year AT&T rate plan, sold separately. "


So, the lesson here is, "buyer be ware" ...especially when listening Apple's marketing.
post #32 of 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by starrius View Post

My experience with AT&T (I've been a customer since right after they changed from BellSouth Mobility to Cingular, about 6 years or so) has been that the "Contract" is decidedly one-sided. They have changed items in my service more than once without asking me first to at least come sign a new contract. Oh, I'm sure there's some line in the contract concerning reserving that right but it would be nice to at least be notified.
For instance, when I initially signed up, text messaging was free. Imagine that! Not even a year into my contract I get my bill and see over $30 in texting fees. They were $.10/minute. Funny, the contract for service I signed said they were free.
Last month, they changed a service on me. They data plan I signed up for had been replaced by something else so they changed my plan to the next closest thing. No fee hike this time, and I'm not loosing anything really. It would have been nice to have known before I got the bill.

Did you know that that allows you to break your contract? When a wireless carrier makes changes to a contract that affect you in a material way, you are allowed to break your contract with no early termination fee. I tend to welcome this so called "one sided" changes because it offers a way out.
post #33 of 263
I don't care how much or how little the phone costs, i'm not paying those monthly fees.
post #34 of 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by GQB View Post

As much slack as I'm generally willing to cut Apple, I'd be upset if I were a first gen owner now being hit with an extra $10/mo that is generally assumed to be AT&T's charge for subsidizing the 3G phones.
And that's $10 extra for a feature useless to first gen owners.

What, they're going to increase the service price for those of us who bought an iPhone last year?

My grandmother and I had both AT&T, both phones under her name (but hers wsn't an iPhone), she passed away recently, so I had to switch my iPhone to my name (yesterday). The lady on the phone said my bill would still be $60 and my contract ends July 2009.
post #35 of 263
god, i hate AT&T. might get one without a contract. how would that work?
AT&T just keeps jacking up the price. NO INCLUDED SMS?!! so stupid. phone companies suck.
post #36 of 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by archer75 View Post

I don't care how much or how little the phone costs, i'm not paying those monthly fees.

I was in line and purchased the iPhone on opening day at an AT&T store. I have a big fat nice plan on the phone. I agree with you. Those plans are a rip off. Bend me over AT&T.

I'll see how long I can resist the urge. I am thinking it just got a lot easier to resist with those rates.
Hard-Core.
Reply
Hard-Core.
Reply
post #37 of 263
Moved to the UK, for the first time EVER we are getting a better deal than the US!
post #38 of 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DG View Post

I'm appalled at the arrogance of these phone companies - AT&T in particular. What better way to say "f**k you" to your existing, paying, loyal customers. You're not "eligible" for an upgrade? WTF is that? I'm signing, agreeing, committing to an additional 2 years of PAYING YOU and you want to nickle and dime me on the hardware?

I'm glad I'm eligible, but if I wasn't, Apple would be loosing another iPhone sale. AT&T is greed. Pure and simple.

this makes me mad too
post #39 of 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

PS: I'm constantly shaking my head why so many people on these forums don't understand how a subsidies or selling items for a profit works.

You got that right!

Also does it occur to anyone that maybe AT&T is trying to do the right thing here with respect to text messaging. As has been pointed out text messaging is one of the biggest rip offs going, so AT&T has made that optional for people who just can't grasp the alternatives. Seems like a smart move on AT&T's part.

Personally I'm not happy with the increase in the plans cost otherwise but at the same time understand what is going on. The hardware has to be paid for somehow. My biggest concern is that Apple might actually be making more of a profit this time around on each unit. I don't mind Apple making a profit, that is reasonable, I just don't personally want to fund Steve's trips to the Orient. So while I understand profits, I've yet to do the math myself to see if it is justified in sending that much money Apples way!

Notably the bigger frustration is the total lack of competition with respect to the iPhone hardware and software stack. I was really hoping that Android was out buy now to have some sort of competitive impact against AT&T & Apple. In a nut shell this is what Apple really needs good old fashion competition.

Dave
post #40 of 263
However....the extra 10 bucks a month for 3g access and the non-inclusion of SMS is inline with all the rest of their plans for all other smartphones. In that respect, they aren't raising prices compared to the rest of their smartphone plans.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › AT&T announces iPhone 3G plans, 8 a.m. launch time on July 11