or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Retail Leopard on Beige and B&W (G4 upgraded) Success!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Retail Leopard on Beige and B&W (G4 upgraded) Success!!

post #1 of 80
Thread Starter 
After my previous couple of posts on Lowendmac.com about nearly getting Leopard to load on a Beige G3 / Blue & White G3 I can confirm that I have had success with it booting fully to the graphical user interface, after quite a few tries of different techniques.

There are some functions which currently need attention, like Firewire and power management, but this is related to the way I've got it working:

1. G3 B&W upgraded to run a 600Mhz G4 CPU
2. Used the B&W to installed 10.4 and upgrade to 10.4.11.
3. Used a Digital Audio G4 to install Leopard as an upgrade over existing Tiger installation
4. Tried to boot this on B&W G4. Got previous error or crash with IOGraphicsFamily
5. Noted that AppleCuda and AppleLynx (firewire) kexts didn't load corrctly during boot either/
6. Extracted all kernel extensions from 10.5 WWDC 2006 edition, using Digital Audio - as this booted on G3 and G4 systems, and has all the missing kernel extensions not included in the Lopeard final release.
7. Deleted 'newer versions' of the kexts 'IOGraphicsFamily.kext', 'AppleCuda.kext', 'IOFirewireFamily.kext' and installed the relevant ones from WWDC 2006.
8. Boot was then successful.

Below is a screenshot of the about this Mac and an Apple System Profiler report as proof.
http://www.jkalittle.co.uk/jkalittle...dW_Leopard.png
http://www.jkalittle.co.uk/jkalittle...pard/BandW.rtf

Currently, AppleCuda.kext doesn't load and this results in a shutdown powering down everything, but not turning off the fans. IOFirewiewFamily.kext doesn't load so firewire port don't yet work.

I've also flashed a Nvidia Geforce PCI 5200 card which support CoreImage as hardware accelerated, not too slowly,

Next I'll try on my Beige G3 to see what happens!

Hope someone else finds this information useful.
********
Hi - Just an update: have now also managed to get it to boot on a G4
upgraded Beige G3 with Radeon 9200. 1. Booted into Mac OS 9, which was
installed on same partition as 10.5
2. Used Xpostfacto to install startup item and bootx, to enable booting on oldworld macs.
3. Disabled onboard video using setenv pci-probe-list fffbffff in Open Firmware (Apple-Alt-O-F at startup)
4. Restarted, and bootup occurred as per the B&W G3 ()G4 Upgraded) to full GUI.

Now going to experiment with updates!
post #2 of 80
That is great. So, is there a way that someone might be able to get those .kext files from the WWDC disk?


Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjamyahauk View Post

After my previous couple of posts on Lowendmac.com about nearly getting Leopard to load on a Beige G3 / Blue & White G3 I can confirm that I have had success with it booting fully to the graphical user interface, after quite a few tries of different techniques.

There are some functions which currently need attention, like Firewire and power management, but this is related to the way I've got it working:

1. G3 B&W upgraded to run a 600Mhz G4 CPU
2. Used the B&W to installed 10.4 and upgrade to 10.4.11.
3. Used a Digital Audio G4 to install Leopard as an upgrade over existing Tiger installation
4. Tried to boot this on B&W G4. Got previous error or crash with IOGraphicsFamily
5. Noted that AppleCuda and AppleLynx (firewire) kexts didn't load corrctly during boot either/
6. Extracted all kernel extensions from 10.5 WWDC 2006 edition, using Digital Audio - as this booted on G3 and G4 systems, and has all the missing kernel extensions not included in the Lopeard final release.
7. Deleted 'newer versions' of the kexts 'IOGraphicsFamily.kext', 'AppleCuda.kext', 'IOFirewireFamily.kext' and installed the relevant ones from WWDC 2006.
8. Boot was then successful.

Below is a screenshot of the about this Mac and an Apple System Profiler report as proof.
http://www.jkalittle.co.uk/jkalittle...dW_Leopard.png
http://www.jkalittle.co.uk/jkalittle...pard/BandW.rtf

Currently, AppleCuda.kext doesn't load and this results in a shutdown powering down everything, but not turning off the fans. IOFirewiewFamily.kext doesn't load so firewire port don't yet work.

I've also flashed a Nvidia Geforce PCI 5200 card which support CoreImage as hardware accelerated, not too slowly,

Next I'll try on my Beige G3 to see what happens!

Hope someone else finds this information useful.
********
Hi - Just an update: have now also managed to get it to boot on a G4
upgraded Beige G3 with Radeon 9200. 1. Booted into Mac OS 9, which was
installed on same partition as 10.5
2. Used Xpostfacto to install startup item and bootx, to enable booting on oldworld macs.
3. Disabled onboard video using setenv pci-probe-list fffbffff in Open Firmware (Apple-Alt-O-F at startup)
4. Restarted, and bootup occurred as per the B&W G3 ()G4 Upgraded) to full GUI.

Now going to experiment with updates!
post #3 of 80
Thread Starter 
If you've got a copy of the WWDC 2006 disc, I'd use Pacafist (http://www.charlessoft.com/) to extract them from the installer.
post #4 of 80
No, that is the problem. Is there a way to get the disk? I am not sure what the protocol for that would be. I am signed up as a developer on the apple site? But, I could not manage to download an entire dvd disk from where I live. A CD I could do in a couple of nights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjamyahauk View Post

If you've got a copy of the WWDC 2006 disc, I'd use Pacafist (http://www.charlessoft.com/) to extract them from the installer.
post #5 of 80
Thread Starter 
Hi,

As the GossamarPE and IOGraphicsFamily .kexts are based on Apple Open Source information, I'll send you the WWDC 2006 ones via e-mail.

James.
post #6 of 80
Thanks, that is super. Can you get my address from the forum?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjamyahauk View Post

Hi,

As the GossamarPE and IOGraphicsFamily .kexts are based on Apple Open Source information, I'll send you the WWDC 2006 ones via e-mail.

James.
post #7 of 80
Thread Starter 
Hi,

Another update regarding Leopard on Beige G3 (G4 upgraded) - it's now running 10.5.4 with sound and power management functions working properly.

There seemed to be a problem that whenever I updated the Beige from 10.5.0 to a newer version it would always restart with a kernel panic, stating "unable to find driver for platform "APPL,PowerMacG3". The only way I could get 10.5.0 working on it was to install 10.5.0 over a working Tiger 10.4.11 installation. Using a 'fresh install' of 10.5.0, adding back relevant kernel extensions always result in the same error as above.

However, thinking that the solution must lie in the kernel extensions I managed to get a fresh copy of 10.5.0 working by figuring out the differences between an installation of 10.5.0 over 10.4.11 and a fresh 10.5.0 install.

The kexts (apart from the ones Xpostfacto installs) that were missing from 10.5.0 were:

* AppleCuda.kext (handles ADB mouse and power management function and sound)
* AppleGossamer.kext (Platfrom expert for Beige G3, B&W and Yikes! G4 - i.e. the platform driver)
* AppleHeathrow.kext (driver for the Heathrow chip which handles IDE/ATA)
* AppleGracklePCI.kext (driver for the Grakle chip which handles memoery management and IDE/ATA and PCI slots)
* HeathrowATA.kext (driver for the ATA controller section of Heathrow chip)

By experimenting with the working installation of 10.5.0 over 10.4.11 I determined that out of the available kexts versions I have (Tiger versions, WWDC 2006 versions and 10.5 beta-build a527 versions) that the following combination worked. Where possible I used the latest a527 versions as these were the most recent, with the exception of AppleGracklePCI.kext, which was only available in the WWDC 2006. IOGraphicsFamily.kext from a527 exhibited the same crash as the one included in 10.5.0, so the one from WWDC 2006 was used.

To get 10.5.0 working:

1. Installed 10.5.0 from DVD using a Digital Audio G4 to a 7.7GB partition.
2. Copied (from a527): AppleCuda.kext, AppleGossamer.kext, AppleHeathrow.kext, HeathrowATA.kext into System/Library/Extensions/
3. Copied (from WWDC 2006): AppleGracklePCI.kext, IOGraphicsFamily.kext (deleted existing 10.5.0 one)
4. *Important* used BatChmod (http://macchampion.com/arbysoft/Welcome.html) programme to set permissions on all kexts to owner: system, group: wheel, read and execute only. Doing a permissions repair on the kexts with DiskUtility does not set the permissions properly.
5. *Important* deleted files in System/Library/Caches/ and file: System/Library/extensions.mkext and System/Library/Extensions/Caches/
6. Booted into OS 9 and used Xpostfacto to install all missing kenerel extensions for the Beige and to enable booting into Mac OS X on an oldworld system.
7. Restarted and boot went well.

Trying to update this to 10.5.4 resulted in the same error, so instead I used the Digital Audio to install a fresh 10.5.0 onto a partition and then ran the 10.5.4 combo updater, repeated the steps above and had success!
In 10.5.4 even the internal RagePro works, without causing a kenerl panic on startup - they key to this is to make sure that the RagePro.kext isn't in the extensions folder. Installing 10.5.0 over 10.4.11 meant that this was there.

The B&W and the Yikes! G4 should all work the same, except you will need the additional kexts installed, which are missing, or do not work from 10.5.0:

* AppleFireWireFamily.kext (10.5.0 version doesn't load properly)
* CMD646ATA.kext (missing from 10.5.0 - ATA driver)

Sorry it's a bit long-winded, but hope it's of interest to all those G4 upgraded beige G3s.

Regards,

James.
post #8 of 80
Thread Starter 
Hi,

Could you send me a message to my account here with your e-mail address, unless I'm correct in thinking that your address is xxxxxxx@appleinsider.com?

Thanks,

james.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeph57 View Post

Thanks, that is super. Can you get my address from the forum?
post #9 of 80
I have sent a 'private' message a couple of times. Not sure if you are getting those? I just sent the second one.


Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjamyahauk View Post

Hi,

Could you send me a message to my account here with your e-mail address, unless I'm correct in thinking that your address is xxxxxxx@appleinsider.com?

Thanks,

james.
post #10 of 80
Thread Starter 
Hi,

Yep, I've not got your e-mail address... will be sending you the .kexts over tonight.

James.
post #11 of 80
James,

Awesome, just awesome progress mate. You beat me to the punch, I've been trying to get Leopard to run on my Beige G4 for a few weeks now.

The only pieces of the puzzle I don't have are the AppleGracklePCI.kext and IOGraphicsFamily.kext from the WWDC release.

I see you also traced down that a527 had the latest version of the other kexts. AppleGracklePCI.kext seems to be the same version right back to 10.4.11 (v1.2). What version of IOGraphicsFamily.kext do you have from WWDC 06?

Thanks!
post #12 of 80
Thread Starter 
Hi,

Thanks very much.

IOPGraphicsFamily.kexts from WWDC 2006 is version 1.5. If you PM me your e-mail address I'll send you over this and AppleGracklePCI.kext - won't be able to reply for a few days as I'm just going away - but will do so when back!

James.
post #13 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjamyahauk View Post

Hi,

Thanks very much.

IOPGraphicsFamily.kexts from WWDC 2006 is version 1.5. If you PM me your e-mail address I'll send you over this and AppleGracklePCI.kext - won't be able to reply for a few days as I'm just going away - but will do so when back!

James.

Thankyou, that would be great. I'm interested to do a file compare between the various IOGraphicsFamily.kexts, as the version number stayed 1.5 right through 10.5 GM, but they're obviously not identical. Sent a PM.
post #14 of 80
Thread Starter 
Hi,

I've sent you the kexts... let me know how you get on getting Leopard to boot on your system, and if you find any changes between the kexts.

Regards,

James.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azure View Post

Thankyou, that would be great. I'm interested to do a file compare between the various IOGraphicsFamily.kexts, as the version number stayed 1.5 right through 10.5 GM, but they're obviously not identical. Sent a PM.
post #15 of 80
The key seems to be the particular version of IOGraphicsFamily.kext from the wwdc build. I'm trying to get a version newer than wwdc, but I can tell you the one from 9a466 and later does not work. When you use a newer IOGraphicsFamily, it acts like it loads successfully, but when it goes to transition from the Gray Apple (or verbose log), the screen doesn't update, you can hear the Mac OS X intro music and even use speech to navigate the setup but you can't see anything.

I'm using a newer version of AppleGracklePCI from 9a466 and everything seems to run just fine. I've successfully loaded drivers for my Asante PCI 690 10/100 ethernet adapter (tiger driver, again, works fine).

SonnetCache 1.4 seems to load successfully (XBench doesn't show any real benchmark improvement but it shows the L2 and the system "feels" snappier). XLR8 cache software fails to load.

The Beige G3 built in ethernet doesn't have the required driver in Leopard, but I copied AppleBMacEthernet.kext from inside IONetworkingFamily.kext out of Tiger, and added it into the IONetworkingFamily.kext within Leopard, and it worked 100% first shot. Oddly, the printer and modem ports work by default. Go figure!

I used a slightly different method of install to get it going, I was successful without having to delete the cache files, and if you log in as the root user to copy the kexts over, you can skip the step of having to use BatchMod (when you're not logged in as root, owner:root shows up as owner:system so they get the correct permissions by default).

I'm using a Mac Radeon 32MB, which doesn't seem to support CoreImage (I'll have to do more research, I'm not sure what the requirements are), so the interface is a little sluggish, but I turned off some of the eye candy by using TinkerTool, and that made things a little snappier.

The only oddity is the built in Rage Pro works, but it acts like there's a screen attached to it even when there isn't. Right now it's telling me I have a "Multiple Scan Display" and a dual monitor setup, I don't. I'm sure I could get a little more snappy performance out of it if I can convince the system to kill it entirely (setenv pci-probe-list doesn't stick through more than a couple of restarts).

My main goal was to be able to use the Beige as a Time Machine server, I'm about to do a test run, wish me luck!

One thing I was doing was I would "test boot" the 10.5.4 on my G5 system and complete the setup steps so I could put it in the beige and boot straight to the desktop. Don't do this. If you boot the 10.5.4 system on another mac (at least in my case) before you boot it up on the beige it'll break. It took me a while to figure out my error. You can install leopard on the HD with another machine, but the first time you boot from that HD HAS to be on the beige.

PS: This was posted on the Beige 10.5.4 machine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjamyahauk View Post

Hi,

I've sent you the kexts... let me know how you get on getting Leopard to boot on your system, and if you find any changes between the kexts.

Regards,

James.
post #16 of 80
Thread Starter 
Excellent news - glad you've been able to successfully get Leopard working too... with the built-in Ethernet (which I'd not tried) and the cache enabler.

In terms of the error you got when booted first on a G5, was this the 'unable to find driver for this platform' error right at boot?

James.
post #17 of 80
What would happen with the G5, was it would boot just fine the first few times, then I'd move it over to the beige and it'd hang at something like "cannot access Azure's Shared Folder -14135". It wouldn't panic it just stopped booting at that point. It would then do the same thing in the G5 if I moved the HD back. -14135 seems to be a permissions error, I tracked down a file called Azure's Shared Folder.plist and deleted it, which cured the error, but it still wouldn't boot after that (don't recall what the second error was).

Kinda odd really. Like I said, lesson learned was to only boot a virgin Leopard on the beige. (I've used the same Tiger drive to boot both my G5 and Beige without issue).

I'm curious about this flashed FX5200 you have, I'd like to see Core Image in action, did you flash it yourself or buy it that way? Seems that according to Apple the ATI cards all require AGP to support it, but the nVidia cards don't.

Btw - do you have the same weirdness with the onboard Rage Pro acting like there's a monitor connected when there isn't?

I guess my next acquisition now is to get an ACard 6280M to speed up the HDs, since all my drives in the beige are newer ATA/133 compatible 7200rpm units, I can't seem to get my hands on an old Sonnet Tempo ATA/133 4 port card (Tempo HD is only 2 port), so looks like the ACard is the only option.

How's your Beige going? Tried anything else new?

Thanks much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjamyahauk View Post

Excellent news - glad you've been able to successfully get Leopard working too... with the built-in Ethernet (which I'd not tried) and the cache enabler.

In terms of the error you got when booted first on a G5, was this the 'unable to find driver for this platform' error right at boot?

James.
post #18 of 80
Hey jimjamyahauk and azure,

I want to join in on some testing with you guys. I am going to be taking a stab at this on my Sonnet 1GHz G4 upgraded B&W (I also have a flashed nVidia FX 5200). I am hoping to start on things this coming weekend. I have been trying to get a retail Leopard install working on my B&W for months, (and I had also sent a letter to lowendmac about my success with WWDC 06 working), but I could never get past the "no drivers for this platform, Powermac1,1" error, so I can't even begin to tell you how awesome it is to see your progress! I'll keep checking back here for any further progress, and will post back with any results I have with your new method.

Many thanks and congrats on the accomplishment!

Jeff
post #19 of 80
Thread Starter 
Hi,

Very strange error - and congrats for solving it - how perplexing!

For the PCI fx5200 I bought a PC version and then flashed it with a Mac Rom, using a PC with a spare PCI slot. I'll try and see if I can do some live screen caps to post. Essentially core animation works, but is slightly juddery for complex effects. Stuff like the quickview mode in the Finder run very speedily.

Yep - the onboard rage acts like there's a monitor, even when none is attached. I think this might be to do with the A/V personality card, which has video out that is supported natively in Mac OS X, so this might be activating some kind of driver link to the ragepro, evne though it's disabled in open firmware.

Funny you mention the acard ATA card - I just got one from ebay to do the same, and break the 8GB internal partition issue, as well as speed things up.

Currently the Beige isn't doing too much - think I might turn it into a music server or something.

Next mini-projects I'm working on is to get the power-management working correctly in 10.5 on a Pismo Powerbook (G4 upgraded), getting the battery recognised in the left hand bay - and when I pick one up get 10.5 working on a G4 upgraded PM 8500.

Hope that your Beige continues to serve you well - and if you find out any more tweaks please share.

James.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azure View Post

What would happen with the G5, was it would boot just fine the first few times, then I'd move it over to the beige and it'd hang at something like "cannot access Azure's Shared Folder -14135". It wouldn't panic it just stopped booting at that point. It would then do the same thing in the G5 if I moved the HD back. -14135 seems to be a permissions error, I tracked down a file called Azure's Shared Folder.plist and deleted it, which cured the error, but it still wouldn't boot after that (don't recall what the second error was).

Kinda odd really. Like I said, lesson learned was to only boot a virgin Leopard on the beige. (I've used the same Tiger drive to boot both my G5 and Beige without issue).

I'm curious about this flashed FX5200 you have, I'd like to see Core Image in action, did you flash it yourself or buy it that way? Seems that according to Apple the ATI cards all require AGP to support it, but the nVidia cards don't.

Btw - do you have the same weirdness with the onboard Rage Pro acting like there's a monitor connected when there isn't?

I guess my next acquisition now is to get an ACard 6280M to speed up the HDs, since all my drives in the beige are newer ATA/133 compatible 7200rpm units, I can't seem to get my hands on an old Sonnet Tempo ATA/133 4 port card (Tempo HD is only 2 port), so looks like the ACard is the only option.

How's your Beige going? Tried anything else new?

Thanks much!
post #20 of 80
Thread Starter 
Hi Jeff,

Thanks very much. Good luck with your B&W adventure - you'll also need an additional kext called CMD646ATA.kext to support the B&W's internal ATA bus - if you're running the HD from that.

Regards,

James.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwilliek View Post

Hey jimjamyahauk and azure,

I want to join in on some testing with you guys. I am going to be taking a stab at this on my Sonnet 1GHz G4 upgraded B&W (I also have a flashed nVidia FX 5200). I am hoping to start on things this coming weekend. I have been trying to get a retail Leopard install working on my B&W for months, (and I had also sent a letter to lowendmac about my success with WWDC 06 working), but I could never get past the "no drivers for this platform, Powermac1,1" error, so I can't even begin to tell you how awesome it is to see your progress! I'll keep checking back here for any further progress, and will post back with any results I have with your new method.

Many thanks and congrats on the accomplishment!

Jeff
post #21 of 80
Thread Starter 
Hi Azure,

Just wanted to confirm the method you used to get 10.5.4 on the Beige. Did you install 10.5.0, then update, then add the kexts - or did you install 10.5.0, install the kexts and then update whilst booted on the Beige.

I'd be interested in seeing if you have the same error as me when trying to update from 10.5.0 which is installed on a Beige.

Thanks,

James.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azure View Post

What would happen with the G5, was it would boot just fine the first few times, then I'd move it over to the beige and it'd hang at something like "cannot access Azure's Shared Folder -14135". It wouldn't panic it just stopped booting at that point. It would then do the same thing in the G5 if I moved the HD back. -14135 seems to be a permissions error, I tracked down a file called Azure's Shared Folder.plist and deleted it, which cured the error, but it still wouldn't boot after that (don't recall what the second error was).

Kinda odd really. Like I said, lesson learned was to only boot a virgin Leopard on the beige. (I've used the same Tiger drive to boot both my G5 and Beige without issue).

I'm curious about this flashed FX5200 you have, I'd like to see Core Image in action, did you flash it yourself or buy it that way? Seems that according to Apple the ATI cards all require AGP to support it, but the nVidia cards don't.

Btw - do you have the same weirdness with the onboard Rage Pro acting like there's a monitor connected when there isn't?

I guess my next acquisition now is to get an ACard 6280M to speed up the HDs, since all my drives in the beige are newer ATA/133 compatible 7200rpm units, I can't seem to get my hands on an old Sonnet Tempo ATA/133 4 port card (Tempo HD is only 2 port), so looks like the ACard is the only option.

How's your Beige going? Tried anything else new?

Thanks much!
post #22 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjamyahauk View Post

Hi Jeff,

Thanks very much. Good luck with your B&W adventure - you'll also need an additional kext called CMD646ATA.kext to support the B&W's internal ATA bus - if you're running the HD from that.

Regards,

James.

Thanks for the tip. I am running my HD from the internal ATA bus, so I'll make a note of that.
I didn't have any luck this weekend. For one thing, I don't have a supported machine to install from. My B&W is all I've got, so I'm going to try and find a friend or co-worker locally that might have an old mac lying around. But instead, I tried to apply your same method to getting the 10.5.0 install dvd to work. I made a dmg of it, and then replaced the various kext's you mentioned, modified the OSInstall.mpkg distribution file to remove the G3 check, slimmed down the installer to fit on a 4.7GB dvd, burned it, and tried to boot that. No luck though - I still got the 'no drivers for this platform error.' I had a feeling it wouldn't work, and I never really had time to sit down and take my time on it, but figured I would give it a shot anyway.
So, it's back to looking for a friend with a a supported machine.
post #23 of 80
James,

Which brand/model of fx5200 was it? I'd really like to get coreimage running on here to offload some of the traffic from the poor 533MHz G4 CPU

I can confirm it's not the A/V card, my beige has the Audio only (Whisper) PERCH card installed.

I think I'll order my ACard tonight! The only problem now is I don't have enough PCI slots! I need to install ATA/133, Graphics, USB 2.0 & 100Mbit networking. Eek! I think I'll probably end up getting a USB 10/100 adapter, like the one MacAlly sells.

You could always do the same thing I'm doing, use the Beige as a network Time Machine backup server. I'm not having much luck so far, the onboard ATA seems a little flaky under Leopard. Perhaps the HeathrowATA beta driver is a little half baked, have you seen any issues? I was thinking about downgrading the Heathrow drivers to the Tiger versions.

I spent the weekend trying to find a way to make pci-probe-list fffbfff stick permanently, it scarely seems to stick for a restart or two before it defaults again. I've come up with two solutions, either the boot-args / boot-command in OF, or I suppose I could do it with a shell script which "reinserts" the OF command every time you boot (thereby maintaining it).

I didn't manage to have much luck with the boot-args / boot-command route. The Beige OF which is 2.4 in my case (RevC ROM, RevD board) isn't nearly as well documented as the New World versions and has it's own quirks. (eg it doesn't know what reset-nvram is, it's called init-nvram instead, that and BOOT and BYE never seem to work, you have to use reset-all to save and restart).

I was also digging around trying to find a way to use OF to alter the memory timings so it would be possible to run an 83MHz bus without it downclocking the memory. No dice there either so far. Oh well!



Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjamyahauk View Post

Hi,

Very strange error - and congrats for solving it - how perplexing!

For the PCI fx5200 I bought a PC version and then flashed it with a Mac Rom, using a PC with a spare PCI slot. I'll try and see if I can do some live screen caps to post. Essentially core animation works, but is slightly juddery for complex effects. Stuff like the quickview mode in the Finder run very speedily.

Yep - the onboard rage acts like there's a monitor, even when none is attached. I think this might be to do with the A/V personality card, which has video out that is supported natively in Mac OS X, so this might be activating some kind of driver link to the ragepro, evne though it's disabled in open firmware.

Funny you mention the acard ATA card - I just got one from ebay to do the same, and break the 8GB internal partition issue, as well as speed things up.

Currently the Beige isn't doing too much - think I might turn it into a music server or something.

Next mini-projects I'm working on is to get the power-management working correctly in 10.5 on a Pismo Powerbook (G4 upgraded), getting the battery recognised in the left hand bay - and when I pick one up get 10.5 working on a G4 upgraded PM 8500.

Hope that your Beige continues to serve you well - and if you find out any more tweaks please share.

James.
post #24 of 80
I booted my G5 under its own copy of Leopard. Then I used the "go to folder..." to open OSInstall.mpkg on the Leopard install disc and install a minimal copy of Leopard to the 8GB partition. I downloaded the standalone 10.5.4 combo updater and applied that to the 8GB partition. I logged out on the G5 and logged back in as root, then I copied the kexts. Lastly, I moved the HD over to the Beige, booted up with another drive on the Beige (probably my Tiger 10.4.11 install), did the XPostFacto 4 thing, and booted it for the first time under it's own power on the beige. Tada! I've not run software update on the Beige, frankly I don't trust it not to overwrite something I need.

If 10.5.4 is screwing up your install, IOGraphicsFamily.kext is updated from 1.5 to 1.5.2 (which I think you'd pinpointed before). I suspected IONDRVSupport might have been the culprit in your case, but checking my Leopard it's running happily with the 10.5.4 version (1.5.2).

I emailed you my profiler report, hopefully it's some use.

BTW- On the topic of the built in video, I just noticed XPostFacto installs (and the G3 loads) OpenG3AIODisplay.kext. I bet that's our problem with the phantom display! Even though the builtin video device claims "no kext loaded" I bet that has something to do with it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjamyahauk View Post

Hi Azure,

Just wanted to confirm the method you used to get 10.5.4 on the Beige. Did you install 10.5.0, then update, then add the kexts - or did you install 10.5.0, install the kexts and then update whilst booted on the Beige.

I'd be interested in seeing if you have the same error as me when trying to update from 10.5.0 which is installed on a Beige.

Thanks,

James.
post #25 of 80
Incidentally, you don't need to burn a DVD if you have a hard drive handy or can partition one. You can just use Disk Utility or CCC to image it to the HD/partition, and it'll boot, run and install happy as a clam, none the wiser that it isn't running on a DVD. Make sure the partition/HDs name is "Mac OS X Install DVD". Will no doubt make your quest to modify a bootable installer much simpler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwilliek View Post

My B&W is all I've got, so I'm going to try and find a friend or co-worker locally that might have an old mac lying around. But instead, I tried to apply your same method to getting the 10.5.0 install dvd to work. I made a dmg of it, and then replaced the various kext's you mentioned, modified the OSInstall.mpkg distribution file to remove the G3 check, slimmed down the installer to fit on a 4.7GB dvd, burned it, and tried to boot that. No luck though - I still got the 'no drivers for this platform error.' I had a feeling it wouldn't work, and I never really had time to sit down and take my time on it, but figured I would give it a shot anyway.
So, it's back to looking for a friend with a a supported machine.
post #26 of 80
Thread Starter 
Hi,

I'm now thinking of trying to get leopard running on a power mac 8500.

However, I'm having trouble finding an xlr8 carrierzif (http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/G3CARDS/XLR8_CarrierZIF/) which would enable me to add a g4 zif I have to the machine.

If anyone has one going spare, or for purchase please let me know.

James.
post #27 of 80
Hi James, that does sound like a hard part to come by. I found a website a little while back that has a lot of old power mac upgrades: http://resale.headgap.com/
I ordered a Sweet Multiport for my B&W from them, which I couldn't find anywhere else. And even though I didn't see the part you're looking for on the site, they did tell me after I got the part I ordered, that If they don't have a product, they have a source for referral to get what you need. So it might be worth sending an email to them to see if they have contacts that can find one for you.


Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjamyahauk View Post

Hi,

I'm now thinking of trying to get leopard running on a power mac 8500.

However, I'm having trouble finding an xlr8 carrierzif (http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/G3CARDS/XLR8_CarrierZIF/) which would enable me to add a g4 zif I have to the machine.

If anyone has one going spare, or for purchase please let me know.

James.
post #28 of 80
Thread Starter 
Hi,

Thanks very much for the information - I'll contact them to see if they could source it.

Thanks.
post #29 of 80
Hey James,

I found someone with a leopard supported PPC, so I think I am going to give this another go this weekend for my B&W.

Just a couple of questions for clarification - To start off, I'll be installing 10.5.1 from my Retail DVD as an upgrade over top of 10.4.11. Do you think it would make a difference if I do the Archive & Install option instead of the Upgrade option?

Then I will apply the 10.5.4 combo update, and after that, I will switch out the relevant .kexts. Would it be possible for you to batch up the various kexts you used for your B&W and send them to me as a zip file? They would be handy to have as a point of reference to see if I extracted out the right ones - before I get too far along in the process. Also, which versions of CMD646ATA, and IOFirewireFamily/AppleFireWireFamily did you end up using?

Lastly, I'll take the HDD and put it back to my B&W and cross my fingers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azure View Post

If 10.5.4 is screwing up your install, IOGraphicsFamily.kext is updated from 1.5 to 1.5.2 (which I think you'd pinpointed before). I suspected IONDRVSupport might have been the culprit in your case, but checking my Leopard it's running happily with the 10.5.4 version (1.5.2).

Hey Azure,

So based on your earlier post, do you think that a 10.5.4 version of IOGraphicsFamily will work if I copy over an older working version of IONDRVSupport?
post #30 of 80
Thread Starter 
Hi,

No probs - will send them to you - can you PM me your e-mail address.

Not sure about the IONDRVSupport versions - just figuring that out trying to install 10.5 on a PM 8500. However, I suspect azure is right.

James.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwilliek View Post

Hey James,

I found someone with a leopard supported PPC, so I think I am going to give this another go this weekend for my B&W.

Just a couple of questions for clarification - To start off, I'll be installing 10.5.1 from my Retail DVD as an upgrade over top of 10.4.11. Do you think it would make a difference if I do the Archive & Install option instead of the Upgrade option?

Then I will apply the 10.5.4 combo update, and after that, I will switch out the relevant .kexts. Would it be possible for you to batch up the various kexts you used for your B&W and send them to me as a zip file? They would be handy to have as a point of reference to see if I extracted out the right ones - before I get too far along in the process. Also, which versions of CMD646ATA, and IOFirewireFamily/AppleFireWireFamily did you end up using?

Lastly, I'll take the HDD and put it back to my B&W and cross my fingers.



Hey Azure,

So based on your earlier post, do you think that a 10.5.4 version of IOGraphicsFamily will work if I copy over an older working version of IONDRVSupport?
post #31 of 80
Thread Starter 
Hi James,

Finally got it working! (seems as if Leo suits the old Beige pretty well too from first impressions of its performance!) I eventually installed using the Hackintosh as I did get a semi-working install with Pacifist but it was very slow to start up and it didn't seem to work properly. I installed with osinstall.mpkg to a GUID-partitioned disk, then imaged that with Carbon Copy Cloner to the Apple Partition Map one that I use in the Beige, and it worked! Many thanks for your advice and sending me the kexts to check I had exactly the right ones, and most of all for working out how to do this! (I'd been waiting ever since Leopard's release for a solution but there seemed to be little interest in these old Macs now that everyone seems to be upgrading to Intel ones, and the creator of XPostFacto no longer seems to be around)


Couple of things:

--Have you found out yet what caused the problem with the Combo Updates, do I need to just make sure that my old IOGraphicsFamily.kext goes back in after the update or does 10.5.4 give you more problems than that?

--You said you got Core Image on a flashed Nvidia 5200, how is this possible? I though Quartz Extreme and Core Image need an AGP card?


Also, it seemed to shut down as normal, my AppleCuda.kext seemed to load ok?


Thanks again! :-)

Tim
post #32 of 80
Thread Starter 
Hi Tim,

Excellent news - glad you got it working your Beige!

You'll probably find that performance increases once Spotlight has finished indexing everything on the HD.

I've not yet figured out what the problem with the Combo updates is - whether it's an issue that could be corrected by re-installing the kexts and setting permissions or if it's something else... I guess we can find out what happens when they release 10.5.5.

With the core image graphics card all is needed is a core-image capable gpu chip on the card. Unfortunately ATI don't produced any for the pci-bus, but nvidia do... the 5200 and 6200 cards which can be flashed with Mac ROMs. The system automatically turn coreimage on or off depending on what it senses on the graphics card. Unfortunately no new nvidia cards will work on 'oldworld rom' macs like the Beige, due to incompatibility with their open firmware.

Would you mind if I posted your sucess story back on the main forum thread for this, to let other people know that someone else has sucessfully got Leo to install?

Thanks - and hope Leo is useful on the Beige.

James.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjamyahauk View Post

Hi James,

Finally got it working! (seems as if Leo suits the old Beige pretty well too from first impressions of its performance!) I eventually installed using the Hackintosh as I did get a semi-working install with Pacifist but it was very slow to start up and it didn't seem to work properly. I installed with osinstall.mpkg to a GUID-partitioned disk, then imaged that with Carbon Copy Cloner to the Apple Partition Map one that I use in the Beige, and it worked! Many thanks for your advice and sending me the kexts to check I had exactly the right ones, and most of all for working out how to do this! (I'd been waiting ever since Leopard's release for a solution but there seemed to be little interest in these old Macs now that everyone seems to be upgrading to Intel ones, and the creator of XPostFacto no longer seems to be around)


Couple of things:

--Have you found out yet what caused the problem with the Combo Updates, do I need to just make sure that my old IOGraphicsFamily.kext goes back in after the update or does 10.5.4 give you more problems than that?

--You said you got Core Image on a flashed Nvidia 5200, how is this possible? I though Quartz Extreme and Core Image need an AGP card?


Also, it seemed to shut down as normal, my AppleCuda.kext seemed to load ok?


Thanks again! :-)

Tim
post #33 of 80
I finally got 10.5.4 up and running on my B&W!

Here are a few observations, thus far:
The Install.
My parents have an iMac G5, so I bought an IDE to USB cable to connect my HD to their iMac. At first, I tried to install 10.5.1 to my HD using Pacifist, but when it was still running 24 hours later, I canceled it.
Instead I booted from the Leopard DVD and installed from there. Oddly enough, Archive & Install was my only option, so I chose that. The install took about a half an hour, and it actually told me that it had failed, but I figured that was just because it couldn't automatically reboot upon completion.
I restarted and logged back into the iMac and ran the 10.5.4 combo update, then logged in as root to copy over the kexts.
I took my HD back home and put it back in my B&W. On the first attempt, I got the 'no drivers for this platform' error again. I figured that the permissions must not be right, even though I copied the kexts over as root, so I logged back into Tiger, used Batchmod, and removed those Cache files you had mentioned.
I ran the Sonnet Cache Enabler (needed for my Zif upgrade to work correctly), rebooted into Leopard, and it's running great!

Issues.
My Built-in USB ports are not working. I noticed this right away, because I use these two ports for my keyboard and mouse, and both were unresponsive until I plugged them into slots on my PCI USB 2.0 Card. I'd really like to get to the bottom of why these weren't working, because I need the USB 2.0 slots for other things.
No Firewire was found. As expected. I'd love to know if you've got your firewire working, and if so, how? I will also try to experiment with an older FW kext to see what I can come up with.
Built-in Ethernet is not working. I'm not surprised about this, because when I installed WWDC 06 a while back, this was an issue. I ended up getting Gigabit PCI Ethernet adapter, which Leopard currently thinks is the Built-in Ethernet.
Time Machine. It looks GREAT! I just wish I could use it. It acts like it's about to start a backup, then tells me that 'the backup volume could not be found.' I googled a number of different solutions for this last night, but nothing seems to work so far.

Highlights.
Front row works. I have an Apple remote & a Keyspan USB IR receiver which is tons of fun to play with.
DVD Player works. I've read where a lot of people reported DVD player not working with their unsupported Leopard install, so I was very glad to see this was working without a hitch.

Next Steps.
Try to resolve the issues with USB, FW, & Ethernet.
Try to get Time Machine working as it should.
I want to test to see if I can run Automatic Updates without anything breaking. I had an automatic update waiting to run with a Quicktime, iTunes, Front Row, and a Security Update ready to install, so I'll be especially interested to see how the Security Update goes.
Post a screenshot & a Profile report
Run a couple of benchmarks, like Xbench, and OpenGL tests
post #34 of 80
Thread Starter 
Excellent news jwilliek, glad you've got it running.

For the ethernet, firewire and usb issues I found the solution was to use the WWDC 2006 versions of:

IOFirewireFamily.kext.
IOUSBFamily.kext
AppleIONetworkingFamily.kext

Alternatively, the ones from Tiger 10.4.11 may also work if you have access to this.

I'm sure we'd all be interested to know if this sorts out the issues you've had, and also a benchmark of the system.

James.
post #35 of 80
Thanks for the tip James!

I was able to get USB and FireWire working.
The Tiger versions did not work, but the WWDC '06 did work.

I'm still experimenting with the ethernet issue. I've tried Tiger & WWDC '06 versions of IONetworkingFamily.kext (couldn't find one called "AppleIONetworkingFamily.kext"). I also tried azure's method from a few posts up by copying just the Tiger version of AppleBMacEthernet.kext from inside IONetworkingFamily.kext, but none of those methods have worked so far. Leopard still thinks that my PCI Ethernet card is the Built-in ethernet.

I'm still researching the Time Machine 'backup volume could not be found' issue.

benchmarks coming up next!

Jeff
post #36 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwilliek View Post

Thanks for the tip James!

I was able to get USB and FireWire working.
The Tiger versions did not work, but the WWDC '06 did work.

I'm still experimenting with the ethernet issue. I've tried Tiger & WWDC '06 versions of IONetworkingFamily.kext (couldn't find one called "AppleIONetworkingFamily.kext"). I also tried azure's method from a few posts up by copying just the Tiger version of AppleBMacEthernet.kext from inside IONetworkingFamily.kext, but none of those methods have worked so far. Leopard still thinks that my PCI Ethernet card is the Built-in ethernet.

I'm still researching the Time Machine 'backup volume could not be found' issue.

benchmarks coming up next!

Jeff

AppleBMacEthernet.kext is the driver for builtin ethernet for the Beige G3 which isn't going to work for your B&W. I *THINK* the one you want for the B&W is the AppleGMacEthernet.kext. What you should do, is on the B&W load up Tiger and see in System Profiler which one is loaded.
post #37 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwilliek View Post

Hey Azure,

So based on your earlier post, do you think that a 10.5.4 version of IOGraphicsFamily will work if I copy over an older working version of IONDRVSupport?

You can try it, but at this stage I'm doubtful.
post #38 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by azure View Post

AppleBMacEthernet.kext is the driver for builtin ethernet for the Beige G3 which isn't going to work for your B&W. I *THINK* the one you want for the B&W is the AppleGMacEthernet.kext. What you should do, is on the B&W load up Tiger and see in System Profiler which one is loaded.

Thanks Azure, it worked this time! I checked system profiler in Tiger and it was actually using AppleBMacEthernet.kext...I must have done something wrong the first time I copied it over, but this time it worked, and it appears my ethernet issue is all straightened out now.
post #39 of 80
Thread Starter 
Hi All,

Just a quick note to say that I've successfully run Leopard retail on a G4-upgraded PowerMac 8500 and also a PowerMac 9600.

I'll post details in a couple of days.

James.
post #40 of 80
That's awesome James! Can't wait to hear the details of those installs.

I wanted to let everyone know too, that I have Time Machine running now on my B&W. Apparently, TM uses the MAC address to make sure that it's backing up to the right place. My MAC address wasn't being reported properly for some reason, possibly because of the ethernet issues I had previously.
The fix was to remove NetworkInterfaces.plist from Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration, and Extensions.mkext from System/Library - then Restart - then run the Network Setup Assistant and Airport Setup Assistant in Airport Utility, so that I had clean Network setups in place. (Note: I only ran the Airport Utility because I use an Airport Extreme as my ethernet router. Obviously if you don't have any kind of Airport setup, that would not be a necessary step.) After doing that, Time Machine kicked off without a hitch, and has been running at its regular intervals.
That was the last of my original 4 issues, so now all have been resolved and I have a fully functioning Leopard installation on my B&W.

My Xbench 1.3 score was 17.24 in Tiger, and 19.01 in Leopard.

Here are a few more screenshots:
OpenGL Extensions Viewer:
http://img136.imageshack.us/img136/9597/openglextensionsleopardtd6.png
GioFX Open Mark Score
http://img293.imageshack.us/img293/3...leopardif4.png
Time Machine
http://img361.imageshack.us/img361/2...machineav5.png
Desktop
http://img76.imageshack.us/img76/951...desktopgw8.png
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Retail Leopard on Beige and B&W (G4 upgraded) Success!!