or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › New and old AT&T iPhone plans compared, cost increases detailed
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New and old AT&T iPhone plans compared, cost increases detailed - Page 2

post #41 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

While I can't comment on those who have problems with connections, and not having an iPhone or AT&T service, I have seen since its initial release, three iPhones out in the wild. For my geographical area, all three had no complaints about dropped calls or failed to connect calls. They said it was comparable to any other local service providers. Grant it, it's only three, buy still...

It's definitely geographical. Here in Chicago, folks who live out in the distant suburbs are generally much happier with their ATT service that those with ATT who live in the city. That combined with their complete customer service failure (which left me with a useless brick when I travelled overseas), flat-out lies and blame-shifting (telling me I had to contact Motorola in order to get my phone to work in the UK!!) was all I could take. The $150 was money well spent to be rid of them!
post #42 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbonner View Post

Does anyone know what the rates default to if we pass our existing iPhones to the kids? 2 2G phones and 2 3G phones. Do we all pay the increased data rate, or only the 3G versions?

Thanks in advance!

Looking to add 1 new 3g iphone to the 3 1st gen iphones we have...
I talked with an AT&T support rep today and was quoted $9.99 for the extra line then $20 for the iphone plan... I asked them to double check that and they said that is all the info they had.
Obviously they don't know much yet...
From what I gather, it will cost me around $50 extra a month.
Not gonna happen.
post #43 of 139
Well AT&T, you just made my decision for me. No new iPhone 3G for me.
We were all set to upgrade my iPhone to the new one and my wife was going to take the old one.

In today's day and age of WiFi, I don't need your beloved 3G speeds that bad. I'll go find a Panera's or Arby's with Free WiFi if I'm out and need to surf at a decent speed.

Note to Apple: You might want to wrangle AT&T in a bit. You could lose some customers over this now, instead of the price barrier from last year. I know you lost my household on this one. This whole "Activation In Store" is a bunch of crap too.

Just sad....
post #44 of 139
... and furthermore: I don't think you're being fair on the SMS thing either.

Now maybe they've been selling different plans lately, but when I got my iPhone last year, our Family Talk 850 plan did NOT include SMS for anybody except for the iPhone. The other 4 lines on my plan pay 4.99 [each] for 200 SMS.

Now, it seems that $30.00 gets you unlimited SMS for all 5 lines. That works for me.

[Edit: added "each"]
post #45 of 139
On the family SMS text messages, I did the math. .2 * 150 = $30
post #46 of 139
I have two iPhones on a Family Plan.

The data plan I have is the $20 iPhone data plan with $5 added which provides for "unlimited" AT&T to AT&T SMS messages and 200 external SMS messages.

iPhone1 on 700 Minute "Family" Plan $60
IPHONE DATA+200&M2M $25

iPhone2 $10
IPHONE DATA+200&M2M $25
-----
subtotal = $120 (reflects the extra $10 for unlimited AT&T messaging/200 External)
Gov't fees $10
Other Charges $10
===========
Total $140/month

-------------

This article DOES NOT ADDRESS whether AT&T will have lower-tier family plan SMS messaging options less than the $30 family unlimited.

From what I've read, the data plans are increasing by $10/phone, so my cost structure above would likely be $160 month, which is about 15% increase. If you factor in the reduced cost of the phone, it's not such a bad trade-off.

What I would like to see is better reporting by Apple Insider. I don't know if this group is considered real journalists or just tech-gossip-bloggers, but this ommission of the multiple tiered SMS options, and the assumption that everyone will choose the maximum rate Family SMS option, seems to be trying to present the worst possible comparison.
post #47 of 139
ONE STEP FORWARD, ONE STEP BACKWARD ... it is seems to be the mantra of APPLE nowadays, it is expensive ...

may be we should ready to see different download speeds with different price soon (like broadband, DSL) but $70 is tooooo much for a line, think about those family plan geez....

i will wait before getting my hands on the iPhone 3G!

Nov '09 | iMac 21.5" C2D 3.06 Ghz | Intel 330 240GB SSD | ATI

Sep '12| Toshiba 14" 1366 x 768! | i5 3rd Gen 6GB| Intel x25-m 120GB SSD | Win 7|  Viewsonic VX2255wmb 22" LCD
iPhone 4S| iPad 2 wifi

Reply

Nov '09 | iMac 21.5" C2D 3.06 Ghz | Intel 330 240GB SSD | ATI

Sep '12| Toshiba 14" 1366 x 768! | i5 3rd Gen 6GB| Intel x25-m 120GB SSD | Win 7|  Viewsonic VX2255wmb 22" LCD
iPhone 4S| iPad 2 wifi

Reply
post #48 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericblr View Post

This is precisely the reason why I will NOT be getting an iPhone just to deal with AT&Ts bullcrap! .....They could really wipe the map with customers if they opened up their iphone to more carriers. AT&T will just continue to jack up their price and continue cutting service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by echosonic View Post

I will not be upgrading my iPhone. I think the costs are ridiculous. If 3G was more expensive, and therefore required a higher fee, then the fee should be only in the monthy bill, it would not have to be leeched onto the text messaging service as well. This is asinine, and they will not get any more money from me. As soon as voice-over-IP is up and running on the iPhone, I will hack it and leave the Cellular carriers behind permanently.


Quote:
Originally Posted by AlecR View Post

I was excited to purchase the iPhone in a couple weeks until i read this. The original iPhone was a bit out of my comfortable price range. Now this...
I'm not huge on texting and would never use 200 in a month but I am really upset they cut that out of the plan while raising the price.

Oh for god sakes people, the iPhone 3G rates are the SAME EXACT RATE PLANS that AT&T has for ALL Smartphones, including the 2G only blackberry models. Having unlimited data on a mobile phone is expensive, and certainly not for everyone. But if you want it, you have to pay the piper!

The original 2G iPhone was obviously an exception to the standard rates, and they gave you a break on monthly fees because:

1) It was limited to 2.5G EDGE data only.
2) It was sold UNSUBSIDIZED, so you had to pay the full retail price for the phone.
3) It's competitiveness in the market was unknown

(And it was actually a great deal considering all Blackberry users were paying the normal, higher smartphone data rate, and all blackberry models were limited to 2G as well.)


Remember, almost NO ONE though Apple was going to let the iPhone be subsidized, and the majority believed the iPhone 3G was going to be sold at $399 or EVEN HIGHER. They could have EASILY sold it at $399 AND required these standard, higher-priced smartphone plans. I think everyone that enjoys such a brilliant device should be thankful that it ended up being $199. Also, we know that Apple is most likely gouging the crap out of them on the wholesale price, so I wouldn't necessarily direct all your wrath at AT&T.

Finally, compared to Verizon wireless, who is AT&T's main competitor, AT&T's voice+data plans are $10 cheaper.

Verizon Wireless Smartphone Voice+Data
450 minutes (incl)
"unlimited" data (incl)
250 txt (+$5)
-----------
$85/month


AT&T iPhone 3G Voice+Data
450 minutes (incl)
"unlimited" data (incl)
200 txt (+$5)
------------
$75/month


With both company's plans above, you can upgrade to 900 minutes for $20 more, or upgrade to 1500 txt messages for $10 more. However, if you want access to the GPS on Verizon smartphones, you have to PAY $10/month! Imagine the outrage is AT&T/Apple charge a monthly fee for GPS!
post #49 of 139
There are five 1st generation iPhones at my house. One of them is so busted up [the surgical glass screen couldn't take the use/abuse of a 13 y.o. girl] that it is unusable. Another is in bad shape after having been dropped once too often by her 16 y.o. sister. I'd been thinking about replacing them with the new 3G iPhones [instead of dropping $270 per iPhone via Apple's existing replacement fee schedule].

Now that Apple and AT&T have revealed their respective sales and service prices I am happy to say I feel a little giddy. I feel like I did back in the day when Apple was still shipping the Apple ][, before Steve first powered up his reality distortion field (RD).

What this means is that as cool as I think the 3G iPhone is I'm not going to buy one. I'm going to remain happily on the sidelines to see what the market comes up with. The main selling point for the iPhone, from my perspective, has always been that you can't beat the way it integrates with the Macintosh [I guess I'm not totally immune from Steve's RDF: I just bought a new Macbook Air]. But hey, if I read the copy on apple.com it looks like I get to use all the iPhone 2.0 features that don't require a new handset. Yea!

My hope is the T-Mobiles, Verizons, and Nokias of the world will begin to appreciate the ever-increasing market share of Apple's computers and make software that lets me seamlessly sync my address book to my d--- phone.

Free at last oh baby free at last!
post #50 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by winterspan View Post

[B]

With both company's plans above, you can upgrade to 900 minutes for $20 more, or upgrade to 1500 txt messages for $10 more. However, if you want access to the GPS on Verizon smartphones, you have to PAY $10/month! Imagine the outrage is AT&T/Apple charge a monthly fee for GPS!

telenav and gps are differant...$10 is for real time mapping, driving directions, road construction updates, searching for resteraunts and such on the rout...all things that VIOLATE THE IPHONE SDK EULA
You can't quantify how much I don't care -- Bob Kevoian of the Bob and Tom Show.
Reply
You can't quantify how much I don't care -- Bob Kevoian of the Bob and Tom Show.
Reply
post #51 of 139
I have no problem with the increased price of the data plan since it offers higher speed and is consistent with the data plans for other smartphones. But I do think that some number of SMS should be included with the iPhone because, unlike all other ATT smartphone offerings, a data plan is required with an iPhone purchase. This would be a reasonable trade-off for the required data plan.
post #52 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by elearn View Post

What this means is that as cool as I think the 3G iPhone is I'm not going to buy one. [...] if I read the copy on apple.com it looks like I get to use all the iPhone 2.0 features that don't require a new handset. Yea!

I'm with you on waiting.

What we have is a pricing policy designed to reduce demand at a time when the iPhone 3G will be scarce. Apple doesn't care if original iPhone owners are p*ssed, because they won't have enough 3G units to sell everyone anyway. AT&T doesn't care if original iPhone owners are p*ssed, because they would prefer new customers.

Give it time. With time, we should see apps become available that make original iPhone owners drool. When that time comes, I predict device availability will be high. It will probably occur as the expiration date of 2-year service contracts on the original iPhones approaches.
post #53 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by maCar View Post

Really weird reasoning...
*snip*
I mean, did it occur to you that maybe the other plans are also overpriced and those are the ones that need to be adjusted?
As far as Sprint, Verizon and T-Mobile goes, as long as there are people out there thinking like you and not willing to complain about it, they will never try to offer competitive and realistic pricing.

ha... What exactly is your definition of "overpriced"? Priced above what YOU want to pay? Obviously since the iPhone 3G plans are the same rates that smartphone data packages have been with AT&T for years now, and are actually $10+ cheaper than Verizon, "the market" doesn't agree with you. If you really want to see painful data rates, look to the north or even many countries in Europe. Most don't even have an option for 5GB of data a month, and if they did, they would pay through the roof.

And surely, complaining about prices on "appleinsider.com" web forums is not going to affect change in the marketplace...


Quote:
Originally Posted by toneloco28 View Post

No, I'm a real estate developer but thanks for trying. Did you even read my post? I said within that the intention was not to argue on whether the service was overpriced or not, but to say that anybody acting surprised was somewhat of a shock to me. Beyond the fact that AT&T has had these same prices for all their PDA/Smartphones for years, they TOLD us everyone would have to add a $30 data add-on to any iPhone 3g the date of the announcement! They also said the pricing of the device was only open to upgrade eligibe customers...

Who says I'm not willing to complain? I just know better than when all the information is given to me beforehand, I'm not going to act shocked when it comes out and all the people who heard what they wanted to hear, cry foul. Competition is good, especially in the cell phone arena, but I was just stating that as far as Verizon goes, so goes AT&T. If you want lower data prices for the iPhone--then wait for Verizon to drop their prices and see AT&T react accordingly. It's business.

Everybody assesses value towards things differently. For someone who hardly ever uses the iPhone to access data the price might seem like a rip-off. For someone whom has to be constanty connected and relies on responding to clients concerns immediately, being able to look up supplier detail, and navigating my way to different sites--the price may be inconsequential. It's all relative.

WHAT is this?? A REASONED post in the fanboy forums? *HEAD EXPLODES*
post #54 of 139
I was so looking forward to this phone but this has just made me rethink my whole plan. For months I had planned to jump pver from Verizon, but the cost was going to be high as I had to pay a termination fee. Now with that included and the added costs for the sms and data this does not make sense finnacially for me any longer.

I am a big advocate of apple and the iphone but together with ATT who is taking advantage of this product launch in a very big way has now lost me and it appears others as new customers.

I say screw the 3G! I can live with out it.
post #55 of 139
Although 3G is quite nice and GPS a bit nice, I felt after its announcement that I would stay w/ my 1st gen. iPhone. That I'm not in a 3G area, the camera needs improving and I need more storage than 16GB seemed enough not to jump.

But the kicker really was the sketchy increases AT&T was promoting for the new iPhone over the original. Now that the rates & upgrade plan are official, I'm am definitely staying put. I understand the posts of others that this is inline w/ standard smartphone rates, but it still is a bottom line reality that it makes no sense for me, in particular, to upgrade at this time with this iPhone version. I simply lose more than I gain.

I'd imagine the next version will present more "internal" hardware features (camera, storage space, processor) that shouldn't affect AT&T rates and thus will be more appealing to iPhone 1.0 users. Plus the iPhone OS 2.0 free upgrade is going to be the real winner for all iPhone users. The introduction of new, 3rd-party applications will open a world of possibilities. Here's hoping that not too many of them are tied to using a 3G/GPS network!

/
post #56 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by winterspan View Post

ha... What exactly is your definition of "overpriced"? Priced above what YOU want to pay? Obviously since the iPhone 3G plans are the same rates that smartphone data packages have been with AT&T for years now, and are actually $10+ cheaper than Verizon, "the market" doesn't agree with you. If you really want to see painful data rates, look to the north or even many countries in Europe. Most don't even have an option for 5GB of data a month, and if they did, they would pay through the roof.

And surely, complaining about prices on "appleinsider.com" web forums is not going to affect change in the marketplace...




WHAT is this?? A REASONED post in the fanboy forums? *HEAD EXPLODES*


Yes, that's exactly right. I'm glad to see we both agree. Something is overpriced when it is priced at a level above what I want to pay. This is how the market works. Apple couldn't [literally] sell enough iPhones the first two times it priced them. This is really the third swing Apple is taking at finding the sweet spot. To be sure, there are probably some people for whom the price of the phone added to the cost of the AT&T service that makes it function (i.e. unbricks it) is reasonable.

I'd like to mention one more thing, just so we're clear, on the meaning of something being overpriced. The cost of the iPhone itself doesn't disgust me so much as the cost of the service from AT&T. I took my kids camping a few months ago. Imagine, for a moment, my surprise when I found that my neighbor's throw-away from [she got it from Wal Mart) had more bars than my iPhone. The whole AT&T experience is what makes buying the 3G so unpalatable. I do not see how it makes sense to pay more for less.
post #57 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by elearn View Post

There are five 1st generation iPhones at my house. One of them is so busted up [the surgical glass screen couldn't take the use/abuse of a 13 y.o. girl] that it is unusable. Another is in bad shape after having been dropped once too often by her 16 y.o. sister. I'd been thinking about replacing them with the new 3G iPhones...

Are you complaining about the iPhone's durability here of just offering background info? All the iPhone and iPod touches my family have are in good condition and seem to be durable. I'm going to go out on a limb here and speculate that the 13yr old and 16yr old didn't purchase the iPhones with their own money. My 12-year old cousin's iPod touch which was obtained with his money from working in the summer appears to be in great condition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elearn View Post

What this means is that as cool as I think the 3G iPhone is I'm not going to uy one. I'm going to remain happily on the sidelines to see what the market comes up with.
Free at last oh baby free at last!

I wouldn't be too optimistic about what the "market" will come up with. Have you seen or tried to use any of the so-called "iPhone" killers? They are a joke.


Quote:
Originally Posted by penchanted View Post

I have no problem with the increased price of the data plan since it offers higher speed and is consistent with the data plans for other smartphones. But I do think that some number of SMS should be included with the iPhone because, unlike all other ATT smartphone offerings, a data plan is required with an iPhone purchase. This would be a reasonable trade-off for the required data plan.

Does anyone know if you can remove the data plan after you sign up? This is be good for those who don't wish to pay ~$80/mo and just use Wifi.


Quote:
Originally Posted by a_greer View Post

telenav and gps are differant...$10 is for real time mapping, driving directions, road construction updates, searching for resteraunts and such on the rout...all things that VIOLATE THE IPHONE SDK EULA

So, if you don't use the $10/month "VZnavigator" service, what software can you use to access the GPS capability?
post #58 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by elearn View Post

Apple couldn't [literally] sell enough iPhones the first two times it priced them.

Apple sold a million or more iPhones at $499/$599 and ran out of supply several weeks ago at $399. The iPhone 3G will be a success from the very beginning. It's all about supply and demand. Demand is high now and supply is tight. Give it time and the price will come down, but not until millions of 3G units have already been sold.
post #59 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by winterspan View Post

So, if you don't use the $10/month "VZnavigator" service, what software can you use to access the GPS capability?

AAA offers the same kind of turn-by-turn navigation service to Verizon and Sprint for the same price at $10 a month (the points of interest is different because they include AAA listed restaurants and hotels...).

If you want turn-by-turn navigation service with live traffic update --- then it's going to be $10 a month --- regardless of what carrier you use. The map makers determine the price --- not the app makers.
post #60 of 139
does anyone know if you can opt out of text messages? with 3G, you can't you just use AIM or skype or something?

I hate my current phone service b/c i either pay 5$ a month for some messages or else I get raped when i get sent SMSs from people I either do or (often) don't even know.

SMSs make me not want to have a cell phone - or rather the way i get charged for them is.

AT&T is using it's monopoly position wth the iphone to gouge its customers. Who is surprised.

I'm not going to be buying an iphone until the prices come down to something reasonable and the service is more open. (I'd want to be able to use the 3G as a modem for my mac if i'm paying 30$ a month for it's download ability.)
post #61 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by elearn View Post

There are five 1st generation iPhones at my house. One of them is so busted up [the surgical glass screen couldn't take the use/abuse of a 13 y.o. girl] that it is unusable. Another is in bad shape after having been dropped once too often by her 16 y.o. sister. I'd been thinking about replacing them with the new 3G iPhones [instead of dropping $270 per iPhone via Apple's existing replacement fee schedule].

Now that Apple and AT&T have revealed their respective sales and service prices I am happy to say I feel a little giddy. I feel like I did back in the day when Apple was still shipping the Apple ][, before Steve first powered up his reality distortion field (RD).

What this means is that as cool as I think the 3G iPhone is I'm not going to buy one. I'm going to remain happily on the sidelines to see what the market comes up with. The main selling point for the iPhone, from my perspective, has always been that you can't beat the way it integrates with the Macintosh [I guess I'm not totally immune from Steve's RDF: I just bought a new Macbook Air]. But hey, if I read the copy on apple.com it looks like I get to use all the iPhone 2.0 features that don't require a new handset. Yea!

My hope is the T-Mobiles, Verizons, and Nokias of the world will begin to appreciate the ever-increasing market share of Apple's computers and make software that lets me seamlessly sync my address book to my d--- phone.

Free at last oh baby free at last!

Man, buying a 500$ phone for a 13 year old?
post #62 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by crees! View Post

You don't get charged for incoming text messages do you? If that's the case we just need an app/way to send messages and can forgo the $5 charge. I do agree with others that data being unlimited, yet being nickel and dimmed over text messages is ridiculous.

Yes, you do get charged for incoming SMS. Sorry, AT&T rips you off on both ends. Especially if you consider this: you send an SMS to another phone on your family plan, and you get charged twice (.20 for outgoing, and .20 on the other phone to receive). Nice.
post #63 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by elearn View Post

Yes, that's exactly right. I'm glad to see we both agree. Something is overpriced when it is priced at a level above what I want to pay. This is how the market works. Apple couldn't [literally] sell enough iPhones the first two times it priced them. This is really the third swing Apple is taking at finding the sweet spot. To be sure, there are probably some people for whom the price of the phone added to the cost of the AT&T service that makes it function (i.e. unbricks it) is reasonable.

I'd like to mention one more thing, just so we're clear, on the meaning of something being overpriced. The cost of the iPhone itself doesn't disgust me so much as the cost of the service from AT&T. I took my kids camping a few months ago. Imagine, for a moment, my surprise when I found that my neighbor's throw-away from [she got it from Wal Mart) had more bars than my iPhone. The whole AT&T experience is what makes buying the 3G so unpalatable. I do not see how it makes sense to pay more for less.

I guess you are free to define "overpriced" any way you like, I was just pointing out that these data prices (or higher) have been standard for years now with more than one mobile carrier with millions of customer, and are in fact cheaper than what tens of millions of others pay in most other developed countries. I don't see, therefore, why said costs would "disgust" you. It apparently has to do with common ignorance in this country of the price of mobile data, since most people in this country are already paying similar rates for voice minutes.

It really all goes back to what someone above mentioned, which is the utility of the service. $30 for unlimited data is $1 per day. For the people who rarely use internet, intranet, and email access, it may be too expensive. For corporate users, entrepreneurs, independent contractors, and anyone else that needs to be able to instantly access their email, check inventory, use line-of-business or corporate web applications, and any other important business activities, $1 per day is peanuts.

And I guess I don't understand your "pay more for less" comment. Do you mean because the crappy cellphone had more signal than the iPhone (in which case I'd have to ask if it was an AT&T phone or on another network?), or are you not counting faster 3G data access and GPS as "more".
post #64 of 139
Maybe I'm not reading the AT&T press release properly, but it looks to me like the SMS issues are small potatoes compared to the apparent "requirement" that the user purchase the "Enterprise Data Plan" for $45 in order to "access corporate email" (i.e., Exchange) accounts. This will really suck and make the plan expensive enough that it will be difficult for my I.T. department to swallow. Does anyone else read the announcement (http://www.att.com/gen/press-room?pi...rticleid=25883) this way? It's under the part about "iPhone for Business".
post #65 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by winterspan View Post

Are you complaining about the iPhone's durability here of just offering background info? All the iPhone and iPod touches my family have are in good condition and seem to be durable. I'm going to go out on a limb here and speculate that the 13yr old and 16yr old didn't purchase the iPhones with their own money. My 12-year old cousin's iPod touch which was obtained with his money from working in the summer appears to be in great condition.

I wouldn't be too optimistic about what the "market" will come up with. Have you seen or tried to use any of the so-called "iPhone" killers? They are a joke.

Does anyone know if you can remove the data plan after you sign up? This is be good for those who don't wish to pay ~$80/mo and just use Wifi.

So, if you don't use the $10/month "VZnavigator" service, what software can you use to access the GPS capability?


When one buys an iPhone, or anything else they make, one also buys into the whole Apple experience, i.e. "the designed by Apple in California" thing. I've been buying into it for a long time. I've been a member of the faithful as long as I have because, d--- it, Apple makes some good s---. Which brings me to your response.

I think the market, and the people that are the market, will win in the end irrespective of whatever Apple ships next week. The reason is that the products T-Mobile and Verizon and the other companies are shipping now is better than what they were shipping this time last year. I'm not looking for an iPhone or an iPhone killer. I am interested in buying something that looks cool and that works seamlessly with my [and my family's] Macs.

I'll probably replace our busted iPhones with something free from T-Mobile; it sucks having to pay the AT&T ransom (I did turn off all the iPhone features except what makes it a phone and so have been paying $10 per phone since they broke). As for our remaining iPhones, a lot of the iPhone 2.0 features will work with them. The best part about this is I get to keep my existing AT&T service plan and not have to fork over more.

As for features like GPS: I guess I'll have to rely on things like pre-planning, asking questions, and using maps like I've been doing for the past 50+ years.
post #66 of 139
One big problem is that the data plan is REQUIRED with the iPhone, where it is NOT required with a Blackberry, for example, on AT&T. Why does this matter?

1. Because at $30 per month, per phone, is not worth it for many customers who already have WiFi at home/work and in coffee shops, etc.-- in other words, they won't need to use the 3G or Edge network for data access enough to justify a $30 monthly charge.

2. For many customers, there is NO 3G service in their area. I live in a densely populated area of Southern California. Guess what? No 3G. Not at my house, not at my work (also in an area of 4 million people in SoCal), not at the Costco warehouse where I shop, not at the library where I take my kids, and not at the park. Pretty much the only place I get 3G is near the AT&T corporate store. Note that according to AT&T's coverage maps, I should be getting 3G all over. But I don't. I have new phones from AT&T, and I've even tried swapping them out for another, more expensive model, with the same results.

So --- now I'm supposed to gladly hand over $30 per month, per phone for a REQUIRED data service that I will rarely actually need, and that works only at the old, slower Edge speeds when I do use it?

Say what you like about the pricing, but until AT&T either makes data optional or provides a less expensive, limited data plan (e.g., 100MB/mo. or whatever), I won't be buying the iPhone.
post #67 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPeon View Post

I was planning on purchasing an iPhone and a MBP. Apple just lost both sales because of AT&T.

I have been a long time AT&T customer... Yet... I'm not eligible for an upgrade. What is my cost for the iPhone? $500.00 for the model I wanted to get, the 16G. Text messaging extra too?

I hope you rot in hell AT&T executives.


I suggest you check your account. I just switched to AT&T when I bought my iPhone. When I checked my account on AT&T's website, I AM eligible for the upgrade pricing as long as I sign a new 2 year contract.


Not that I would, because a 3g iPhone is irrelevent. It is slower than WiFi so I'll be mad anytime that I am not on WiFi. 2g is slower than hell and 3g is still slow, so I don't see what the big deal is. Plus, who wants a plastic ass phone that is thicker?
post #68 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by winterspan View Post

I guess you are free to define "overpriced" any way you like, I was just pointing out that these data prices (or higher) have been standard for years now with more than one mobile carrier with millions of customer, and are in fact cheaper than what tens of millions of others pay in most other developed countries. I don't see, therefore, why said costs would "disgust" you. It apparently has to do with common ignorance in this country of the price of mobile data, since most people in this country are already paying similar rates for voice minutes.

It really all goes back to what someone above mentioned, which is the utility of the service. $30 for unlimited data is $1 per day. For the people who rarely use internet, intranet, and email access, it may be too expensive. For corporate users, entrepreneurs, independent contractors, and anyone else that needs to be able to instantly access their email, check inventory, use line-of-business or corporate web applications, and any other important business activities, $1 per day is peanuts.

And I guess I don't understand your "pay more for less" comment. Do you mean because the crappy cellphone had more signal than the iPhone (in which case I'd have to ask if it was an AT&T phone or on another network?), or are you not counting faster 3G data access and GPS as "more".

The price of mobile data??? I've been using a Macbook Air for a couple of months now; I've been using it with a Verizon USB720 modem. Verizon sells it for $29; Verizon has deals with a lot of companies: I got mine free thanks to a deal Verizon had with my employer. How's that for utility of service: a free phone and $59 a month for 3G internet access anywhere there's a nearby tower.

Where's this going? I can do anything with my Air that I can do with the iPhone except use the iPhone to get my Air to connect to the internet. Why doesn't AT&T offer this service? Other companies do. I think it has to do with Skype: the USB720 works so sweetly with it. This is what I mean about paying more for less. AT&T is holding the 3G iPhone back.

Oh baby don't get me started about utility and data prices. You're talking to a road warrior with the receipts to prove it. You shouldn't talk in generalities by the way: using words like "common" and "millions" make it easy for you to explain away just about anything. I'm giving you specific examples based on my experience.

One more thing: my Verizon USB720 is a 3G phone. I bet it works in more places than your 3G iPhone will.
post #69 of 139
I think the best thing that AT&T could have done to get existing iPhone users to upgrade to the new one is to allow the current iPhone users to keep their current plan down to the penny.

Let the bandwagoners pay the more expensive rates since they decided to be late to the game.

Where is the incentive to upgrade? What just because AT&T says that you are AUTOMATICALLY cleared and allowed to upgrade is the perk? Bullsh!t......

Pure greed. I don't need nor want my monthly bill to go up for the next 2 years. I would rather that I spend $299-$399 up front and keep what I have for my current iPhone plan than get into this mess.
post #70 of 139
This is it. I am officially not buying an iPhone. The previous iPhone plans were the perfect price sweetspot for me. My wife and I were planning to get iPhones when our Verizon contract finished in December. If I had know about this price increase, I would even be tempted to break my current contract and get the 1G iPhone, because clearly we are getting screwed now.

Our current family plan with Verizon is $75 a month for 2 lines, 500 minutes, 250 text messages apiece, and the usual stuff (unlimited nights/weekends, unlimited IN calling, etc.). We get a slight discount through my work..normally it would be $78.

To switch to an iPhone, 2 lines would cost $159 plus taxes. That is more then doubling our current cell phone bill. We use MAYBE half of our current text messaging plan (250 apiece), why the heck would we want unlimited text messages for $30?

I don't know if AT&T has noticed, but there is basically a recession going on, no one can afford to drive anywhere, and you expect people to drop $159 a month on 2 iPhones?

I totally understand business users getting charged blackberry rates (since they use it more). But home users? That is ridiculous.

AT&T just lost a family plan purchase and Apple just lost 2 iPhone sales. This is beyond ridiculous.
post #71 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisgeleven View Post

This is it. I am officially not buying an iPhone. The previous iPhone plans were the perfect price sweetspot for me. My wife and I were planning to get iPhones when our Verizon contract finished in December. If I had know about this price increase, I would even be tempted to break my current contract and get the 1G iPhone, because clearly we are getting screwed now.

Our current family plan with Verizon is $75 a month for 2 lines, 500 minutes, 250 text messages apiece, and the usual stuff (unlimited nights/weekends, unlimited IN calling, etc.). We get a slight discount through my work..normally it would be $78.

To switch to an iPhone, 2 lines would cost $159 plus taxes. That is more then doubling our current cell phone bill. We use MAYBE half of our current text messaging plan (250 apiece), why the heck would we want unlimited text messages for $30?

I don't know if AT&T has noticed, but there is basically a recession going on, no one can afford to drive anywhere, and you expect people to drop $159 a month on 2 iPhones?

I totally understand business users getting charged blackberry rates (since they use it more). But home users? That is ridiculous.

AT&T just lost a family plan purchase and Apple just lost 2 iPhone sales. This is beyond ridiculous.

Couldn't agree more. For business users, okay. For average consumers, it's too much added expense for too little value. AT&T is going to have to drop these prices. I won't be surprised if demand turns out to be much lower than they are anticipating.
post #72 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foo2 View Post

Apple sold a million or more iPhones at $499/$599 and ran out of supply several weeks ago at $399. The iPhone 3G will be a success from the very beginning. It's all about supply and demand. Demand is high now and supply is tight. Give it time and the price will come down, but not until millions of 3G units have already been sold.

I have a theory for why Apple ran out of iPhones some time ago. They didn't want to be stampeded by all the people who bought 2.5G iPhones just before the 3G iPhones came out. Remember what happened last year when Apple dropped the price $200? Apple is a smart company. Give them the credit they deserve. Apple did not "run out." It was a cold calculated decision based on not wanting history to repeat itself.
post #73 of 139
G.R.E.E.D that's how to spell iPhone 3G!

(Unfortunately though, it will be sheep to slaughter by the millions. Which is exactly why America is going broke.)
post #74 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by slicedbread View Post

Couldn't agree more. For business users, okay. For average consumers, it's too much added expense for too little value. AT&T is going to have to drop these prices. I won't be surprised if demand turns out to be much lower than they are anticipating.

I think that Apple is going to sell tons of these things. The sad part is that the weight of an iPhone will add to the weight of the notebook the person likely carrying too. Over time (how much time? i dunno) I think the iPhone will get bigger and laptops like the Macbook Air will get even smaller and they will eventually merge.

Geez, I really loved my Newton.
post #75 of 139
As an iPhone owner who never uses text messaging, I am quite happy to see that AT&T has separated out this cost from the monthly plan. I really have no desire to subsidize those users who use this feature.
post #76 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by elearn View Post

I have a theory [...] Apple did not "run out." It was a cold calculated decision based on not wanting history to repeat itself.

Apple certainly did run out. Calculated? Of course. And I give them top marks for excellent sales combined with excellent profit margins.
post #77 of 139
This complaining isn't directed at iPhone. It's directed at AT&T and other carriers for charging high rates for all data plans, just like people complain about broadband prices. So go ahead, complain. But do remember that iPhone 2007 really did get a break. So if you are still on that plan and don't care that much about 3G or GPS, just stick with it (don't upgrade).

And I suspect we have more complaining now because many people who are interested in iPhone have never considered a smartphone and data plans before. So it's the first time they're seeing these extra costs, so what to do? complain.

Now totally unrelated: My question is can I have an AT&T family plan with one iPhone and one non-iPhone/non-smartphone. If I can, how much does it cost? Or do you just have to get two separate plans? Anyone do this before, or talk to AT&T already?
"you will know the truth, and the truth will
set you free."
Reply
"you will know the truth, and the truth will
set you free."
Reply
post #78 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert808 View Post

As an iPhone owner who never uses text messaging, I am quite happy to see that AT&T has separated out this cost from the monthly plan. I really have no desire to subsidize those users who use this feature.

You'll no doubt be excited when the SMS spam messages arrive and you find AT&T doesn't provide a way to inactivate SMS completely.
post #79 of 139
To chrisgeleven:

But do you get unlimited data (access via browser to the Internet) on your Verizon plan? The $30 is for unlimited data. The $30 is for access to the Internet. Repeat: The $30 is for unlimited data.

When a person was paying for cable TV, did he expect the cable company to throw in unlimited data (access to the Internet) for free? After all, it comes in via the same wire. (And wby not unlimited voice as well; it comes through the same wire, doesn't it?)

(By the way, SMS (and MMS) is a cellular data technology. I know users could care less, but it really is not related to the Internet.)
"you will know the truth, and the truth will
set you free."
Reply
"you will know the truth, and the truth will
set you free."
Reply
post #80 of 139
If iPeon already got a subsidized phone with his 2-year contract, then he shouldn't expect another subsidized phone until he's nearing the end of his contract (when he becomes qualified for a subsidized phone).

Since you (enzomedici) bought an unsubsidized iPhone, AT&T is allowing you to just start a new contract with a subsidized phone (as if you were a new customer). In other words, they are foregoing "punishing" you for having shared some of the monthly revenue with Apple.

In other words, if AT&T paid for your phone in exchange for you agreeing to fulfill a two-year contract, then why should they rip it up and end it early? When baseball or football players don't finish their contracts after having received a huge up-front bonus, do we find that just?
"you will know the truth, and the truth will
set you free."
Reply
"you will know the truth, and the truth will
set you free."
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › New and old AT&T iPhone plans compared, cost increases detailed