or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › New and old AT&T iPhone plans compared, cost increases detailed
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New and old AT&T iPhone plans compared, cost increases detailed - Page 3

post #81 of 139
at&t charging me more for texting is simply horrendous.

i am really hoping that people will figure out that they can just download AIM for free and IM instead...

i'm definitely going to lead that charge with the ones I text the most (who happen to have iPhones as well (which is another charge I led.. but that's neither here, nor there))
post #82 of 139
Currently have a family plan, ATT Tilt and Blackberry 8310. Paying $143 for 550 minutes of talk plus $5 per phone for 200 text messages. My plan for the Tilt is $59.99 (w/ unlimited data) so going to $69.99 for just the pleasure of using an iPhone does suck imho. Tilt already has 3g, has GPS, and does it all except it's not an iPhone. So having to pay an extra $10 a month just because it's an iPhone stinks.

I blame Apple for not having the O.O to make it non-carrier elusive and I blame ATT for charging $10 so people can use hardware that Apple created.
post #83 of 139
For those posting about the $69.99 price....

Any smart phone from ATT (Edge or 3G)
  • Tilt
  • Blackberry
  • Treo
  • etc

is going to require you pay $39.99 for voice, $5 for 200 messages, and $30 for unlimited data. Again, it's the same as any phone from ATT.

Now for those of you with an existing plan that happened to get in at $20 for unlimited data, good for you! Keep it. Rest of us are f@cked.
post #84 of 139
We, a family of four, were in the market for a move from Verizon ( great coverage) to ATT because of the iPhone. Our two year contract is over.

After reading ATT's charges and nickel and dime approach we concluded that although the iPhone is just awesome, the tacky ATT service coverage combined with what we consider abusive cost, that we will pass for another 2 years. Maybe at some time in the future Apple will be able to work with other carriers and we will enjoy their product.
post #85 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by elearn View Post

Yes, that's exactly right. I'm glad to see we both agree. Something is overpriced when it is priced at a level above what I want to pay. This is how the market works. Apple couldn't [literally] sell enough iPhones the first two times it priced them..

Your explanation of overpriced is a very subjective one. But for the market in general its much more collective. People will pay.

Apple made just over a billion dollars in revenue from 6 million phones. That's a very good first year.
post #86 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by elearn View Post

The price of mobile data??? I've been using a Macbook Air for a couple of months now; I've been using it with a Verizon USB720 modem. Verizon sells it for $29; Verizon has deals with a lot of companies: I got mine free thanks to a deal Verizon had with my employer. How's that for utility of service: a free phone and $59 a month for 3G internet access anywhere there's a nearby tower.

You are sighting a specific situation here that few people have access to. This is not a valid comparison with general mobile broadband rates.

Quote:
Where's this going? I can do anything with my Air that I can do with the iPhone except use the iPhone to get my Air to connect to the internet. Why doesn't AT&T offer this service?

Because AT&T wants to sell its own mobile broadband service. The iPhone is also clocking heavy bandwidth loads. I doubt the carriers want to add to it.
post #87 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foo2 View Post

Apple certainly did run out. Calculated? Of course. And I give them top marks for excellent sales combined with excellent profit margins.

There are those of us out there [you know who you are] that can recall a time when Apple Computer dumped many a product into a landfill in Texas when it was advantageous for them to do so.
post #88 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

You are sighting a specific situation here that few people have access to. This is not a valid comparison with general mobile broadband rates.



Because AT&T wants to sell its own mobile broadband service. The iPhone is also clocking heavy bandwidth loads. I doubt the carriers want to add to it.

Have you tried sticking AT&T's mobile broadband service into Apple's current mobile hardware? It doesn't fit.
post #89 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Your explanation of overpriced is a very subjective one. But for the market in general its much more collective. People will pay.

Apple made just over a billion dollars in revenue from 6 million phones. That's a very good first year.

D--- straight my opinion is very subjective. That's because it's mine.

Here's how I thing it will shake out:

a. some people will pay
b. some people will not pay
c. some of the people who do pay will wish they hadn't
d. some of the people who do pay will be glad they did

Any way it shakes out Apple stockholders [like me] will be laughing our a---- off.
post #90 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by elearn View Post

Have you tried sticking AT&T's mobile broadband service into Apple's current mobile hardware? It doesn't fit.

That could only be the Air. Apple did not make the Air with a standard size USB port.
post #91 of 139
Quote:
Not that I would, because a 3g iPhone is irrelevent. It is slower than WiFi so I'll be mad anytime that I am not on WiFi. 2g is slower than hell and 3g is still slow, so I don't see what the big deal is. Plus, who wants a plastic ass phone that is thicker?

This isn't entirely accurate. Apple found 3G to be twice as fast as EDGE, but only a slightly slower than WiFi. To some degree it doesn't matter how fast the speed, the iPhone cannot use the full WiFi bandwidth because of hardware limitations.

The plastic back does interfere with signal strength the way aluminum does.
post #92 of 139
As one who recently switched from Verizon, on the advice of an AT&T rep, in anticipation of the IPhone release, join the others in getting screwed by AT&T as we are not eligible for an upgrade for some time and are being penalized $200. I think I'll go back to Verizon until I decide to switch back once the lines and the hysteria dwindle. Good thing AT&T gave us a 30-day return policy on the phone and the service.
post #93 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark2005 View Post

If iPeon already got a subsidized phone with his 2-year contract, then he shouldn't expect another subsidized phone until he's nearing the end of his contract (when he becomes qualified for a subsidized phone).

You know, I would have had no problem paying $500.00 or even $600.00 for the 3G iPhone. What tics me off is that we were told by Apple that a 16 G 3G iPhone was being sold for $299.00.



What tics me off even further is ATT's bullshit plan and it's history with me as far as customer service is concerned. I will refrain from saying what I really think about ATT. It really is sad that the iPhone will take a step backwards because of ATT.
post #94 of 139
<SIGH> I don't understand the difficulty a lot of people are having here, I really and truly don't. I've been an AT&T customer for 6 years now. Been with them through the AT&T / Cingular identity crisis, and I'll be the first to admit, they have their flaws. That being said, I think a lot of people out there cried FOUL without looking a little deeper into what went down...

The first thing that's been dispelled MANY times before this is AT&T is gouging their iPhone 3G customers on the plan. That's not the case. AT&T's standard UNLIMITED DATA for PDA/SmartPhone is $30 / month, with NO text messages. Guess what - they sell a PDA Personal Bundle that includes unlimited data and messaging for ... $50 / month. Holy shit. That's the same price as the $30 unlimited data and $20 unlimited text that they're pushing for the iPhone. Guess what - they also sell 3 different messaging plans 200 for $5, 1500 for $15 and unlimited for $20. Those are not iPhone specific, that's AT&T's going rate as of 10 minutes ago. Look it up on their website...

Here's what really kills me for everyone saying they "raised the price" - The AT&T MEdia Max unlimited plan is $15. It includes unlimited data for non-PDA/non-SmartPhone handhelds (read EDGE data based...). If we do some very advanced math, we see that $15, adding in $5 for 200 texts is ... $20 But wait ... isn't that the price of the original iPhone data plan? You are in fact, correct. So, basically, AT&T is now considering iPhone a Smart/Phone with respect to their rate plans this time around as opposed to the regular MEdia Max bundle they pushed last year. I'd be more pissed about the regular iPhone plan, since they "hid" the cost of the messages by calling it IPHONE DATA + X SMS. There was NOTHING SPECIAL about the iPhone 2G data plan. Nothing at all - other than AT&T did NOT consider it a SmartPhone. Now that it has 3G capability, AT&T is moving it in line with the rest of its 3G product line (read, BlackBerry, BlackJack, etc...).

[Tangent] To all the "no tethering sux people out there - keep in mind that AT&T charges $60 / month for tethering with 5GB of data. So it's not unlimited and you still don't get your SMS. Just saying ... tethering isn't free, so if you're one of the people complaining about no tethering, I hope you realize that you're going to be shelling out even more money for that ability. [/Tangent]

No we move on to the price of the phone itself. If you've EVER had a mobile phone carrier that subsidized your phone, you understand that you sign a contract at the time of purchase that gives you a lower price on the handset with the condition that you'll stay tied to their service for the set amount of time, or pay an early termination fee. This keeps AT&T from losing shit loads of money on their subsidy of the phone. They pay Apple $X for each iPhone sold. Hence their desire to make sure you have it activated on THEIR network. They don't want to pay whatever Apple's cost is so you can take it home, unlock it and use it with whoever. I know there's a good analogy right now ... but I'm on too much of a roll to stop and think about one....

If you're currently an iPhone customer, you're home free. Go to the store, plop down your $199 or $299, tell them how many SMS you want included, then go home. You'll get an $18 upgrade charge tacked on to your next bill, along with the new data and SMS plans. The upgrade fee is standard AT&T practice for ANY upgrade FROM any phone TO any phone. It is NOT iPhone specific.

If you're with AT&T but DON'T have an iPhone, then your eligibility is determined by the amount of time you've been in your current contract, as well as your payment history. If your account has missed a few payments, you're probably not in good standing, and they're probably not going to let you upgrade for nothing even if you are eligible time-wise. If you sold your iPhone and bought a phone to tide you over until iPhone 3G hit the street, you fucked yourself unless you took your SIM with you. The good thing about a GSM carrier is everything is tied to the SIM card. If you had an iPhone, sold it and then put the SIM in an unlocked POS from eBay, you're probably still good. If you switched to AT&T a few months in anticipation of the new iPhone, then that's almost as ridiculous. You should have stayed month-to-month on your old carrier until the iPhone release date. You got bit in the ass. Take it as a life lesson and move on. Wait until you can upgrade or pay the difference.

If you're not with AT&T, then you're golden too. Join the party (if you dare) on July 11th. The only difference is you pay $36 to establish your account as opposed to the $18 upgrade fee.

Before I get blasted, I'd like to state that I work for neither Apple or AT&T. I'm simply a consumer trying to pass along correct information in a debate in which there is TOO much emotion. If you don't like AT&T's prices, don't pay them. It's a free market, you have other cell carriers that would love your business. I want a Beamer, sadly, I can only afford a Dodge. It's one of life's bitter pills to swallow, but I'll live. Is the extra cost worth the upgrade? You're the only judge of that. Is 3G and GPS and better battery and (possibly) better reception worth it? I think it is, so I'll be in line.

See you there...

P.S. - Sorry for the length of the post, but you know how it is when you get on a rant!
MacBook Pro 15" 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB DDR3 SDRAM, 500GB HDD
Mac mini 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB DDR3 SDRAM, 320GB HDD
iPod 5th Generation, 30GB
iPhone 4, 32GB
Reply
MacBook Pro 15" 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB DDR3 SDRAM, 500GB HDD
Mac mini 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB DDR3 SDRAM, 320GB HDD
iPod 5th Generation, 30GB
iPhone 4, 32GB
Reply
post #95 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by AgNuke1707 View Post

<SIGH> I don't understand the difficulty a lot of people are having here, I really and truly don't. I've been an AT&T customer for 6 years now. Been with them through the AT&T / Cingular identity crisis, and I'll be the first to admit, they have their flaws. That being said, I think a lot of people out there cried FOUL without looking a little deeper into what went down...

The first thing that's been dispelled MANY times before this is AT&T is gouging their iPhone 3G customers on the plan. That's not the case. AT&T's standard UNLIMITED DATA for PDA/SmartPhone is $30 / month, with NO text messages. Guess what - they sell a PDA Personal Bundle that includes unlimited data and messaging for ... $50 / month. Holy shit. That's the same price as the $30 unlimited data and $20 unlimited text that they're pushing for the iPhone. Guess what - they also sell 3 different messaging plans 200 for $5, 1500 for $15 and unlimited for $20. Those are not iPhone specific, that's AT&T's going rate as of 10 minutes ago. Look it up on their website...

Here's what really kills me for everyone saying they "raised the price" - The AT&T MEdia Max unlimited plan is $15. It includes unlimited data for non-PDA/non-SmartPhone handhelds. If we do some very advanced math, we see that $15, adding in $5 for 200 texts is ... $20 But wait ... isn't that the price of the original iPhone data plan? You are in fact, correct. So, basically, AT&T is now considering iPhone a Smart/Phone with respect to their rate plans this time around as opposed to the regular MEdia Max bundle they pushed last year. I'd be more pissed about the regular iPhone plan, since they "hid" the cost of the messages by calling it IPHONE DATA + X SMS. There was NOTHING SPECIAL about the iPhone 2G data plan. Nothing at all - other than AT&T did NOT consider it a SmartPhone. Now that it has 3G capability, AT&T is moving it in line with the rest of its 3G product line (read, BlackBerry, BlackJack, etc...)

As slicedbread pointed out, the bigger issue is that the $30/mo data plan is mandatory for the iPhone, but not for Blackberry & other smartphones. That's the real crime here. Lots of people would love a great phone, but few want or need internet on their phone that costs almost as much as it does for their whole house.
post #96 of 139
With these prices, my iPod Touch seems better and better everyday!
post #97 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory Bauer View Post

As slicedbread pointed out, the bigger issue is that the $30/mo data plan is mandatory for the iPhone, but not for Blackberry & other smartphones. That's the real crime here. Lots of people would love a great phone, but few want or need internet on their phone that costs almost as much as it does for their whole house.

Normally, I'd agree with you. If you buy a phone, it should be your choice of whether or not you want to purchase a data plan for it. However, Apple built the iPhone from the ground-up as more than just a phone / iPod. The intro keynote from last year shows that it's also an "internet communications device." Meaning, Apple wanted the internet to play a central role in the phone. If you're not using the internet with a Blackberry or an iPhone, I'd almost ask, why buy the phone then? The appeal is the connectivity. At least for me ... but hey, maybe I'm in the minority...
MacBook Pro 15" 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB DDR3 SDRAM, 500GB HDD
Mac mini 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB DDR3 SDRAM, 320GB HDD
iPod 5th Generation, 30GB
iPhone 4, 32GB
Reply
MacBook Pro 15" 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB DDR3 SDRAM, 500GB HDD
Mac mini 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB DDR3 SDRAM, 320GB HDD
iPod 5th Generation, 30GB
iPhone 4, 32GB
Reply
post #98 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by maCar View Post

Really weird reasoning...
do you work for ATT? Now i know what/how ATT executives are thinking when they decide to change a plan... As long as all of their clients are suffering, it's fair...

I mean, did it occur to you that maybe the other plans are also overpriced and those are the ones that need to be adjusted?
As far as Sprint, Verizon and T-Mobile goes, as long as there are people out there thinking like you and not willing to complain about it, they will never try to offer competitive and realistic pricing.

excellent. i was always waiting for socialism to overcome the cell phone industry.

the pricing, sadly enough, is competitive if everyone is overpriced. and it is realistic if people are still paying it. simple supply and demand.
post #99 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert808 View Post

As an iPhone owner who never uses text messaging, I am quite happy to see that AT&T has separated out this cost from the monthly plan. I really have no desire to subsidize those users who use this feature.

just wait until some kid on a facebook(insert stupid website here) account mistypes their phone # and you start getting 50 messages a day. Good luck with them dropping the charges.
post #100 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPeon View Post

You know, I would have had no problem paying $500.00 or even $600.00 for the 3G iPhone. What tics me off is that we were told by Apple that a 16 G 3G iPhone was being sold for $299.00.



What tics me off even further is ATT's bullshit plan and it's history with me as far as customer service is concerned. I will refrain from saying what I really think about ATT. It really is sad that the iPhone will take a step backwards because of ATT.

You know, I don't see an asterisk or subtitle. Maybe this is suable? They're really doing a bait and switch on the pricing.
post #101 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

This isn't entirely accurate. Apple found 3G to be twice as fast as EDGE, but only a slightly slower than WiFi. To some degree it doesn't matter how fast the speed, the iPhone cannot use the full WiFi bandwidth because of hardware limitations.

The plastic back does interfere with signal strength the way aluminum does.

Unless it's using the lowest possible wireless network speed possible and dragging down everyone else who i using it, a wi-fi connection is about 50-1000x faster than 3G. Maybe you mean the internet connection that the Wi-FI is using stinks.
post #102 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by AgNuke1707 View Post

Normally, I'd agree with you. If you buy a phone, it should be your choice of whether or not you want to purchase a data plan for it. However, Apple built the iPhone from the ground-up as more than just a phone / iPod. The intro keynote from last year shows that it's also an "internet communications device." Meaning, Apple wanted the internet to play a central role in the phone. If you're not using the internet with a Blackberry or an iPhone, I'd almost ask, why buy the phone then? The appeal is the connectivity. At least for me ... but hey, maybe I'm in the minority...

Some people just want a phone that doesn't suck to use. As it turns out, the iPhone is also that phone. But a person can't get the nicest to use cell phone without also coughing up $30 a month in data fees. I'm sure we'd all like the internet in our pocket, but the monthly rate is an unjustifiable, irresponsible expense for most people. As I said earlier, it costs almost as much to have internet on your phone as it does in your whole house. Maybe Apple should create an iPhone light, that lacks 3G and GPS, for people just looking for a great phone.
post #103 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by elearn View Post

There are those of us out there [you know who you are] that can recall a time when Apple Computer dumped many a product into a landfill in Texas when it was advantageous for them to do so.

And remember all the Apple products that were announced with "flexible" release schedules. Since Jobs returned, Apple has been outstanding at product delivery and supply chain management.
post #104 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericblr View Post

This is precisely the reason why I will NOT be getting an iPhone just to deal with AT&Ts bullcrap! I am probably going to piss off people ion this board but I hope Apple suffers from this exclusive deal so they me able to learn from their mistake. They could really wipe the map with customers if they opened up their iphone to more carriers. AT&T will just continue to jack up their price and continue cutting service. I bet when you call for support you get some second rate agent 3000 miles away from home. Does Apple really want to associate with this?

I feel the same way. I loved Apple forever but this does truely piss me off. I think it was a bad move for Apple to do the exclusive AT&T deal.

Someone mentioned the iPhone being worth the $200 price but in reality it can't cost that much to manufacture. Steve Jobs isn't an idiot. Apple's making something off every iPhone no matter what configuration one gets. That's why they should AT LEAST throw in text messages. I mean really not many people use less than 200 texts a month (like 6 or 7 a day). I'm not even a big texter but use more than that. But they know that!
post #105 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by freakboy View Post

Unless it's using the lowest possible wireless network speed possible and dragging down everyone else who i using it, a wi-fi connection is about 50-1000x faster than 3G. Maybe you mean the internet connection that the Wi-FI is using stinks.

In theory WiFi is that much faster but not in real world use. The iPhone is incapable of processing a WiFi signal 50-1000 times faster because of hardware limitations.
post #106 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by slicedbread View Post

Couldn't agree more. For business users, okay. For average consumers, it's too much added expense for too little value. AT&T is going to have to drop these prices. I won't be surprised if demand turns out to be much lower than they are anticipating.

You are right that many consumers certainly don't NEED an excellent smartphone with highspeed mobile email and internet access. It is a luxury, and one that many will pay for. For corporate users, entrepreneurs, independent contractors, etc, $1 a day for your primary business tool while you are out of home or office is couch change...

For others, it is spendy, but it all comes down to what your priorities are. Most people already spend $40+ on their cellphone, so we are really just talking about $30 extra a month here for the data package. Think about it, many people will easily spend $30 in a month on totally frivolous products/services. Seriously, people could avoid starbucks and make coffee at home for ONE WEEK and pay for the iPhone data package. Or skip eating out at a restaurant ONE TIME!


Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSnarkmeister View Post

G.R.E.E.D that's how to spell iPhone 3G!

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakboy View Post

AT&T is using it's monopoly position wth the iphone to gouge its customers. Who is surprised.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Mac View Post

the tacky ATT service coverage combined with what we consider abusive cost, that we will pass for another 2 years. Maybe at some time in the future Apple will be able to work with other carriers and we will enjoy their product.

"greed", "gouging", "abusive costs" ? *sigh*. I guess I just need to stop rehashing the same argument, but I don't know if people are actually reading the thread or not, so here we go again.

The iPhone 3G plans are the SAME PRICE as all other smartphones voice/data packages on AT&T, and in fact are $10 cheaper than the Verizon equivalent. How exactly does that make them "abusive costs"? The original iPhone plans were discounted because the device was limited to EDGE and sold UNSUBSIDIZED. The new prices now bring the iPhone in line with their other smartphone offerings. With the subsidy of the iPhone 3G now bringing the price to $200, it nearly cancels out the increase in monthly rates at the end of the contract. It's like $40 more over two years.


Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisgeleven View Post

This is it. I am officially not buying an iPhone. The previous iPhone plans were the perfect price sweetspot for me. My wife and I were planning to get iPhones when our Verizon contract finished in December. If I had know about this price increase, I would even be tempted to break my current contract and get the 1G iPhone, because clearly we are getting screwed now.... Our current family plan with Verizon is $75 a month for 2 lines, 500 minutes....

Your current family plan with Verizon certainly doesn't include unlimited data. There is still hope for you though, as far as i know, since iPhone version 1 buyers were able to remove the data package after activating their service. Perhaps that will still be the case with iPhone 3G... We'll find out soon..


Quote:
Originally Posted by AgNuke1707 View Post

<SIGH> I don't understand the difficulty a lot of people are having here, I really and truly don't. I've been

Don't try to understand it, I too am exhausted from the madness. Many of these people commenting don't want to hear the actual facts, like how the iPhone 3G plans are the SAME PRICE as all other voice/data smartphone plans on AT&T, or how the plans are actually $10-15 cheaper than their equivalent with Verizon, or how the iPhone 3G subsidy nearly cancels out any plan increase, etc and just wish to bitch and moan.


Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmike View Post

*snip* Someone mentioned the iPhone being worth the $200 price but in reality it can't cost that much to manufacture. Steve Jobs isn't an idiot. Apple's making something off every iPhone no matter what configuration one gets.

The iPhone 3G has been reported to cost around $150 in materials, which doesn't include assembly, shipping, distribution, marketing, R&D, etc. Perhaps part of the reason why AT&T isn't providing special iPhone 3G plans that are cheaper than their other smartphones is that Apple is reported to seriously gouging them on the wholesale price, and so AT&T is possibly paying over $500 to Apple for the phones.


Quote:
Originally Posted by slicedbread View Post

One big problem is that the data plan is REQUIRED with the iPhone, where it is NOT required with a Blackberry, for example, on AT&T. Why does this matter?

Your situation is totally understandable.. With the original iPhone, people were able to remove the data package on the internet account management after they signed up. It will be interesting to see if this will stay the same. In that case, people wouldn't HAVE to have the data package... at worst they might get charged $30 for the first month and thereafter they would not have to pay for it...


Quote:
Originally Posted by elearn View Post

The reason is that the products T-Mobile and Verizon and the other companies are shipping now is better than what they were shipping this time last year. I'm not looking for an iPhone or an iPhone killer. I am interested in buying something that looks cool and that works seamlessly with my [and my family's] Macs.

The products T-mobile, Sprint, and Verizon are shipping are different and a bit better than last year, but they are certainly no "iPhone killers"...
And the iPhone is certainly a nice looking piece of kit, but if you are only buying a phone for looks and Mac syncing, there are many other phones that provide a lot less functionality for a cheaper price. The iPhone is really meant for people who need to be connected on the go to email, websites, line of business applications, corporate apps, etc.


Quote:
Originally Posted by samab View Post

If you want turn-by-turn navigation service with live traffic update --- then it's going to be $10 a month --- regardless of what carrier you use. The map makers determine the price --- not the app makers.

My point is that Verizon charges you $10/month for their navigation service. Am i able to load up any java application i wish and have it access the GPS signal, or does Verizon block that out like they do with bluetooth file transfer and other nefarious crap?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Callaway7 View Post

Currently have a family plan, ATT Tilt and Blackberry 8310. Paying $143 for 550 minutes of talk plus $5 per phone for 200 text messages. My plan for the Tilt is $59.99 (w/ unlimited data) so going to $69.99 for just the pleasure of using an iPhone does suck imho. Tilt already has 3g, has GPS, and does it all except it's not an iPhone. So having to pay an extra $10 a month just because it's an iPhone stinks.

Where are you getting the $59.99 number if both phones are on a family plan? Is the iPhone $10 more to add to the family plan than the tilt? I guess I didn't look much into the family plans, but a Tilt or any other smartphone on a regular individual voice+data plan is the same price as the iPhone plans.
post #107 of 139
You work for AT&T don't you?

Rationalizing away AT&T's iPhone data plan price gouging with their other ripoff data plan rates or with Verizon's ripoff rates doesn't make their rates and endless nickel and dimeing (texting plans, itemized phone bills, etc) less of a ripoff.
post #108 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWAL View Post

at&t charging me more for texting is simply horrendous.

i am really hoping that people will figure out that they can just download AIM for free and IM instead...

i'm definitely going to lead that charge with the ones I text the most (who happen to have iPhones as well (which is another charge I led.. but that's neither here, nor there))


Running AIM or any messenger service on your phone kills your battery a lot quicker. I never keep them on anymore.
post #109 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by winterspan View Post

My point is that Verizon charges you $10/month for their navigation service. Am i able to load up any java application i wish and have it access the GPS signal, or does Verizon block that out like they do with bluetooth file transfer and other nefarious crap?

Very strange from the point of view that the iphone doesn't support java, doesn't support bluetooth file transfer and the SDK doesn't allow developers to use the maps for navigation service.

The map makers charge 2 different rates for maps --- a cheap rate for non-navigation usage and an expensive rate for navigation usage. Doesn't matter what platform you are on.
post #110 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by winterspan View Post

Most people already spend $40+ on their cellphone, so we are really just talking about $30 extra a month here for the data package. Think about it, many people will easily spend $30 in a month on totally frivolous products/services. Seriously, people could avoid starbucks and make coffee at home for ONE WEEK and pay for the iPhone data package. Or skip eating out at a restaurant ONE TIME!

Gee, thanks for the justification as to why you feel it is OK to steal and thanks for the advise on where I can sacrifice my spending so that it goes to you instead.
post #111 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4metta View Post

Running AIM or any messenger service on your phone kills your battery a lot quicker. I never keep them on anymore.

This is because the IM client is always running in the background waiting for the next message.

Apple will not allow apps to run in the background and drain battery life. Instead Apple will have a push service for apps that need to send messages to the iPhone.
post #112 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPeon View Post

Gee, thanks for the justification as to why you feel it is OK to steal and thanks for the advise on where I can sacrifice my spending so that it goes to you instead.

Its rather dramatic to call it stealing. Since you go into it knowing what it costs.

Many of these complaints seem to come from people who are not currently paying for unlimited 3G. Because those who do have unlimited 3G are already paying a similar if not more expensive rate.
post #113 of 139
From the responses on this thread, it seems that people are very excited about the new iPhone 3G, however it seems to be a common feeling of disgust towards at&t.

I for one have switched to at&t from t-mo b/c of this phone; I still love the phone after 1 year. And just like everyone else I was excited about the new model, however I cannot go past the at&t's malicious business practices.

All their little charges makes me sick! Shame on you at&t!

I will probably wait for my contract to end and hopefully by then an truly unlocked version is out and t-mo will be updating their 10-year old plans/services.
post #114 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by freakboy View Post

You know, I don't see an asterisk or subtitle. Maybe this is suable? They're really doing a bait and switch on the pricing.

Bait and switch? The phone is either $199 or $299.
post #115 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericblr View Post

This is precisely the reason why I will NOT be getting an iPhone just to deal with AT&Ts bullcrap! I am probably going to piss off people ion this board but I hope Apple suffers from this exclusive deal so they me able to learn from their mistake. They could really wipe the map with customers if they opened up their iphone to more carriers. AT&T will just continue to jack up their price and continue cutting service. I bet when you call for support you get some second rate agent 3000 miles away from home. Does Apple really want to associate with this?

That is exactly why I'm with Comcast now. AT&T had non-English speakers in India answering their service calls. Comcast asnwers in Atlanta or Ft. Lauderdale. Most of them speak English. AT&T has lost my landline service, my DSL, my longline service, and as soon as my contract is up, my cell service. Reminds me of a law firm: Dewey, Cheatem, and Howe.
post #116 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by AgNuke1707 View Post

<SIGH> I don't understand the difficulty a lot of people are having here, I really and truly don't. I've been an AT&T customer for 6 years now. Been with them through the AT&T / Cingular identity crisis, and I'll be the first to admit, they have their flaws. That being said, I think a lot of people out there cried FOUL without looking a little deeper into what went down...

AppleInsider is not the place to post logically, clear-headed thinking.

Most of the complaints here are by guys that have no intention of getting the iPhone in the first place, complain for the sake of complaining, by the same people that complain every time Apple does anything, and won't read or try to understand when somebody does offer rational and confirmed information.

It amazes me that repeatedly people have posted links to sites and information that clarifies iPhone pricing, services and support, demonstrates that prices if anything are the same or lower no matter what country you live in. Unbelievable that some complain about the cost and the taxe(s) that must be applied at no fault of AT&T or Apple. Imagine taking a bus from NY to LA and somebody now has the audacity of charging more for going by plane.

What is quite obvious here is that most of the complainers never had a basic cell phone they paid for themselves, let alone a 'smart phone'. Heck, they are probably old enough to sign a contract or a job to pay for it themselves.

P.S. Forgot to say, "Thank you. Great job."
post #117 of 139
Quote:
You know, I don't see an asterisk or subtitle. Maybe this is suable?

it's a keynote presentation, not a contract.... not a lawyer are you?


What appleinsider failed to mention in this is the discount you are getting on the phone.

you pay 25% more a month, but you get the phone at a 33% discount from the original iphone. so you pay less in the beginning and more per month. you aren't paying more for 3G, you are paying for the subsidy. you aren't paying for 3G in an area you don't have 3G you are paying for unlimited data, and your area just doesn't happen to have 3G, you still have unlimited EDGE, and that's the same price in your area everyone has to pay for unlimited data, even though they also are stuck on EDGE.

also, those saying it shouldn't be required. Trust me, be happy it is... you don't want to accidentally forget to turn off the background polling for mail for a month and see that bill when you are charged by the kb... or all the data you would incur when downloading your visual voicemail... paying by the kb would cost you a whole lot more than the peace of mind of having it "unlimited"

is the plan expensive? yup
is it in line with other cell providers? yup, and cheaper in some instances

is it overpriced? probably, but the market is overpriced.... it's not like if this phone were on any other network you wouldn't pay the same, or more for this data.

but by all means, please, don't get it, I would enjoy being the only one in line next friday.
post #118 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasper View Post

According to the information released by AT&T today, the carrier is only offering family plan members two options for SMS with the iPhone 3G:

1) Pay 20 cents per message

or

2) Pay $30 for unlimited.

There is nothing in between.

As such, there really is no alternative for the comparison and I think it's more than fair to compare it the way we did.

Best,

K

So, If I wanted to upgrade both lines to the new iPhone...
I would be paying $10 more per line for 3G data + $30 for text messaging.
Thats $50 more a month!!!
Are they insane !?!?

Considering there is no 3G in my area and I don't TXT all that much...deals off!
post #119 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

So, If I wanted to upgrade both lines to the new iPhone...
I would be paying $10 more per line for 3G data + $30 for text messaging.
Thats $50 more a month!!!
Are they insane !?!?

Considering there is no 3G in my area and I don't TXT all that much...deals off!

this is also incorrect. you can add any of the single line text messaging plans to any of your lines. they just don't have a shared pot of minutes for the entire family on the plan.

example:

3 people on a family plan all with iphones. mom and dad don't text at all, 15 bucks for the kid for unlimited texts. but for 30 bucks, you could make EVERY line unlimited... lines on a family plan also exist by themselves and you can add and remove features to them as well. the chart is only giving you the options that you can add to every line.
post #120 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

With AT&T increasing data costs while simultaneously cutting text messages from its iPhone 3G plans, individual iPhone users upgrading to the 3G model will find themselves paying between 12.5% and 25% more to maintain the same level of service while FamilyTalk plan subscribers will likely see their costs rise anywhere from 8% to 27%. Included are some charts observations to help explain why. [Updated 9:00 p.m. Eastern with clarification on FamilyTalk SMS options and pricing.]

Individual Plans

All of AT&T's individual iPhone 3G calling plans have risen $10 when compared to those offered alongside the original iPhone. That's because AT&T is now charging $30 for the bundled unlimited data plans rather than $20, as it expects subscribers to increase their internet usage and throughput as a result of the new iPhone's 3G chip, which downloads about twice as fast as the EDGE chip in the original iPhone.

At the same time, however, AT&T has obnoxiously reduced the number of standard SMS messages included with each plan from 200 to zero. To get those 200 text messages back, subscribers will have to pay $5.00 more per month. As such, we've factored that added fee, along with the additional $10 data charge into our chart (below). The chart compares the original iPhone plans offered by AT&T to the new iPhone 3G plans with the added costs required to maintain basic text message capabilities and unlimited data downloads. All iPhone monthly plans MUST include the $30 data plan.

(It should also be noted that AT&T also offers 1500 SMS messages a month for $15 -- a $5 increase when compared to the original iPhone 3G SMS plans -- and unlimited SMS messages for $20 per month.)

AT&T's original iPhone plans (top) compared AT&T's new iPhone 3G plans (bottom) | Copyright AppleInsider.com

Generally, iPhone 3G users subscribing to the entry-level plan with 450 minutes will find themselves paying 25% more for their monthly phone bill with 200 SMS messages, while users subscribing to the unlimited plan will be paying about 12.5% more.

FamilyTalk Plans

AT&T has essentially carried over the same changes to its FamilyTalk plans. The cost associated with each line on a FamilyTalk plan has risen $10. Similarly, FamilyTalk plans no longer bundle 200 SMS messages as standard. FamilyTalk plan subscribers who want text message capability can pay 20 cents per message or subscribed to an unlimited SMS family plan for $30 a month. Alternatively, individual SMS plans can be purchased for each line at the $5 for 200 messages, $15 for 1500 messages, or $20 for unlimited messages.

AT&T's official SMS plans for iPhone 3G | Copyright AT&T.

Information on FamilyTalk SMS options and the chart (below) were updated at 9:00 p.m. Eastern time following clarification on FamilyTalk SMS options from an AT&T source. AT&T's original press release on the matter appears to have been misleading. While AT&T believes most FamilyTalk subscribers will play it safe and subscribe to the $30 Unlimited plan that covers all lines, it will offer cheaper plans starting at $5 per line for 200 SMS messages as noted in the above paragraph.

For the purpose of our charts, which compare the original iPhone Family Plans to the iPhone 3G Family Plans, we've assumed subscribers will play it safe and adopt a 200 SMS plan ($5) for each line. As a result, two-line Family plan costs rise $30 across the board ($10 of data plus $5 of SMS for each line), which translates into a 27% increase for families on the 700 minute plan with two lines and unlimited SMS messages, scaling down to a 8% increase for those on the top-tier 6000 minute plan.

AT&T's original iPhone Family Plans (top) compared AT&T's new iPhone 3G Family Plans (bottom) | Copyright AppleInsider.com

(AT&T's pricing for the Family Unlimited plan is somewhat murky. AT&T prices the plan at $259 per month but it's unclear whether that price includes two lines or one. We're working to sort this out.)

In addition, AT&T is also mandating that all current subscribers pay an $18 upgrade fee for each iPhone account that is upgraded to an iPhone 3G account.

Readers should also be aware of miscellaneous usages charges, taxes and fees that are tacked on to wireless bills each month. For instance, these charges added nearly $20 in June to an individual AT&T account in New York that was subscribed to the $109/1350 minute iPhone plan.

Why in the WORLD would Apple choose the most bloated, inefficient and non-customer oriented phone company in the US to be the sole carrier for the iPhone! Apple has made some incredible products in the past few years that have propelled them to their current status, but forcing their existing and potential new iPhone customers to do business with AT&T is an incredibly bad stumble for Apple. Higher prices, less service... is not the path Apple should forcing their customers to take with any product.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › New and old AT&T iPhone plans compared, cost increases detailed