or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › What's your hometown famous for?

What's your hometown famous for? - Page 2

post #41 of 61
Mine...

A zoo, like the last dry town in the world, and one of the BIG Walmarts.

Yes, I know its sad.
MacBook Pro 17" Glossy 2.93GHz, iPad 64GB, iPhone 4 16GB, and a lot of other assorted goodies.

If you're a troll and you have been slain. Don't be a Zombie.
MacBook Pro 17" Glossy 2.93GHz, iPad 64GB, iPhone 4 16GB, and a lot of other assorted goodies.

If you're a troll and you have been slain. Don't be a Zombie.
post #42 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Wow. I know that from the movies... Like 80's and 90's movies... Cool. What happened? Why is no one into them nowadays?

I want to get a frickin' http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airstream someday. That would be so retro-cool. It's like something that could be the Iron Man secret mobile research thingy, with a few modifications. Like hovering a few feet above the ground LoL.

The economy in general and of course the price of gas in particular has them if not on the ropes then staggering and blurry-eyed. Our town of about 5,000 would be pretty much toast if they went under. My best friend's dad took over as CEO this Spring and has been the face on tv announcing layoffs and shutdowns. He doesn't sleep much.

That Airstream is pretty sweet! I'd love to go camping and watch Plan 9 From Outer Space in it!
What are you up to, Norm?

My ideal weight if I were 11 feet tall.
What are you up to, Norm?

My ideal weight if I were 11 feet tall.
post #43 of 61
I was just reminded of this. It's not my hometown, but where I live now was the set for Everwood, some of Footloose, and a couple of scenes in The Stand.
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
post #44 of 61
Fake Boobs. (Midland, MI, world headquarters of Dow Chemical and Dow Corning companies, the latter being the manufacturer of silicone implants).

C
A Conclusion is the place where you get tired of thinking. - Lesicus Stupidicus
post #45 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

for some reason, that looks like a cross between Big Ben and an asparagus...

C
post #46 of 61
Jimmy Johns
Roger Ebert
Alison Krauss
Bonnie Blair
Bob Richards
Ludacris
Wolfram Research
Jerry Sanders (not to be confused with Colonel Sanders)
George Will (perhaps this is more infamous, just kidding)
Various nobel prize winners
post #47 of 61
How could you not mention REO Speedwagon??
post #48 of 61
My home town is famous for making "Safe and Sane Fireworks".
"The selfishness of Ayn Rand capitalism is the equivalent of intellectual masturbation -- satisfying in an ego-stroking way, but an ethical void when it comes to our commonly shared humanity."
"The selfishness of Ayn Rand capitalism is the equivalent of intellectual masturbation -- satisfying in an ego-stroking way, but an ethical void when it comes to our commonly shared humanity."
post #49 of 61
Napoleon, OH: One of a handful of Campbell's soup plants. Famous corvette collection/dealer.

Athens, OH: Ohio University and its infamous Halloween party.

Cincinnati, OH: Big town, tons of history and "famous fors." Too much to list.

Silverton, CO: Famous Durango & Silverton narrow gauge railroad. Largest fireworks show on the CO's western slope. Possibly the first town in America to have AC power.
post #50 of 61
Mardi Gras
post #51 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacAloy View Post

Mardi Gras

You're from Mobile, AL?
post #52 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwinter View Post

You're from Mobile, AL?

There is no need to insult me like that!
post #53 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacAloy View Post

There is no need to insult me like that!

OK, ok. Pascagoula?
post #54 of 61
Mark Twain
Insurance capital of the world
First public art museum in US (Wadsworth Atheneum)
Harriet Beecher Stowe
Colt Firearms
Katharine Hepburn
Charles Nelson Reilly
Marcus Camby
post #55 of 61
Current hometown: Plastic Surgery
Original Hometown: Lesbians
"..do you remember where you parked the car?"
"..do you remember where you parked the car?"
post #56 of 61
Springfield, MO

Wild Bill Hickock shot his first man in the downtown square. There's still a small plaqard in the street where he stood when he shot. It's a funny historical spot, you have to actually step into traffic and crouch down to the street to read the small thing.

People of notable importance (other than myself) Brad Pitt, Bob Barker, Kathleen Turner and John Ashcroft () are from there.
post #57 of 61
Trains that dont run on time
Big Harbour
Big Bridge
Funny looking, pointy white building that looks like waves or something
Traffic
Shiny Side Up
Shiny Side Up
post #58 of 61
Denver's famous for my presence there
post #59 of 61
My hometown?

Beulah MI is famous for.........
hmmmm......

Crystal Lake

Maybe the Cherry Hut, which has been I think in USA Today or something similar for it's cherry pie.

Bruce Catton although technically that would be Benzonia.

Oh, Benzie County was the last county in Michigan to get a stop light (in 1989 or 90 when I was in 5th or 6th grade).
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
post #60 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerdude View Post

Trains that dont run on time
Big Harbour
Big Bridge
Funny looking, pointy white building that looks like waves or something
Traffic

LOL Sydney FTW! You should mention: Serious, HARDCORE PARTYING. So much so it drove me frickin' broke dude... That city should come with a Surgeon-General's (National Health Minister's) warning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by icfireball View Post

Ludacris
Wolfram Research

Wow. Ludacris AND Wolfram. Maybe next your hometown will invent "Learning Maths Through Gangsta Rap". Badass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celemourn View Post

for some reason, that looks like a cross between Big Ben and an asparagus...

LOL I never thought of an asparagus before.... What can I say... it's designed by Japanese architects, I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBG4 Dude View Post

Colt Firearms

People ProGunLobby much in your town?
post #61 of 61
[QUOTE=nvidia2008;1287707]LOL Sydney FTW! You should mention: Serious, HARDCORE PARTYING. So much so it drove me frickin' broke dude... That city should come with a Surgeon-General's (National Health Minister's) warning.

I thought it was on all the tourist pamphlets
Shiny Side Up
Shiny Side Up
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AppleOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › What's your hometown famous for?