or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple's App Store launches with more than 500 apps
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple's App Store launches with more than 500 apps

post #1 of 42
Thread Starter 
Apple said Thursday that more than 500 native applications are now available on the iPhone's App Store for use with the new iPhone 3G that goes on sale tomorrow.

Over 500 apps, many free

Over 125 of those applications -- or more than 25 percent -- are being offered for free. According to Apple chief executive Steve Jobs, 90 percent of the remaining applications will cost just $9.99 or less.

"This is the biggest launch of my career," he said.

Browse all apps, or by section

Users who've downloaded the just-release iTunes 7.7 software can already browse the App Store via the jukebox software. The store offers sections that list: All iPhone Applications, All iPod touch Applications, All Free Applications, Most Popular Applications, and Most Popular Free Applications.

Browse by category

Users can also browse the store by category listings: Business, Education, Entertainment, Finance, Games, Healthcare & Fitness, Lifestyle, Music, Navigation, News, Photography, Productivity, Reference, Social Networking, Sports, Travel, Utilities, and Weather.

Apple said many of the new applications take advantage of iPhone's large display, Multi-Touch user interface, fast hardware-accelerated 3D graphics, built-in accelerometer and location-based technology.

Top free apps

Unsurprisingly, the top free application at the moment is Apple's own new iTunes Remote, with which you can "control the music on your computer or Apple TV from your iPod touch or iPhone. Play, pause, skip, shuffle. See your songs, playlists, and album art on your iPod touch or iPhone as if you were right in front of your computer. Remote works with your Wi-Fi network, so you can control playback from anywhere in and around your home."



Other notable free applications include AOL's Instant Messaging application, Google's Mobile Searching application, Six Apart's TypePad blogging application, and a New York Times news application.

Top pay apps

The five most popular pay applications include Sega's Super Monkey Ball, Pangea's Cro-Mag Rally, Pangea's Enigmo, Freeze Tag's Etch A Sketch, and Apple's own Texas Hold'em.

Apple has also posted an App Store Frequently Asked Questions list.
post #2 of 42
eBay app not available in the Canadian store \

... and what's with the Travelocity broken link? "Travelocity" produces no results in an iTunes Store search.
post #3 of 42
my corp firewall won't let me download itunes or view apps store, can you tell me if there are
voice dialing apps
gps
thanks
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
Reply
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
Reply
post #4 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Google's Mobile Searching application

This is not available in the UK Store - which is strange...
post #5 of 42
Counting each eBook title as a separate app is a bit of a stretch. Still, the amount of apps is pretty dang impressive for the launch.
post #6 of 42
Anyone know if I can purchase one app through the store and install on both my iPhones?
post #7 of 42
quite an impressive launch, and I'm very happy to see that Apple updated its first game, texas hold'em, and its reasonably priced at $4.99. And the FREE remote app looks fine too, especially, and I mean especially since it controls Apple TV. Good job Apple.
:-D * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Reply
:-D * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Reply
post #8 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOFEER View Post

my corp firewall won't let me download itunes or view apps store, can you tell me if there are
voice dialing apps
gps
thanks

i couldn't find a voice dialing app. a ton of voice recorder apps... but nothing like what you want.

gps - none
:-D * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Reply
:-D * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Reply
post #9 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by SiMac View Post

This is not available in the UK Store - which is strange...

It's here live in IE
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #10 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by SiMac View Post

This is not available in the UK Store - which is strange...

Though we can download the USA's YellowPages.com app, which is terribly confusing. I think they'll need to sort out which apps are suitable for which country.

There's a bazillion ToDo list and shopping list apps.

Also, I noticed 'Things', the GTD app is £5.99 in the category page but when you click on the info link it's £11.99.

Still a few things to work through then!
post #11 of 42
Oh and the much pilloried TripLog app made the cut too. Apple obviously has very low standards for entry into the app store.
post #12 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by aegisdesign View Post

Oh and the much pilloried TripLog app made the cut too. Apple obviously has very low standards for entry into the app store.

Well they have bad music on iTunes as well. Do you really want them to be filtering the apps you can install after all this clamoring to making this an open platform? Really, people always find something to complain about!
Providing grist for the rumour mill since 2001.
Reply
Providing grist for the rumour mill since 2001.
Reply
post #13 of 42
most of the apps available now strike me as being like the majority of widgets - underpowered and unnecessary utilities that might get downloaded, but not actually used with any regularity.


blah.
post #14 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Programmer View Post

Well they have bad music on iTunes as well. Do you really want them to be filtering the apps you can install after all this clamoring to making this an open platform? Really, people always find something to complain about!

Quite the opposite. It's a good thing we have shit apps on there as one of the counter claims to not opening it up was Apple's apparent taste police.

I'm missing the apps I want though still for remote admin - ssh and vnc. Surely someone developed those?
post #15 of 42
Iphone 2.0 avalible not through itunes
http://www.iphonefreak.com/2008/07/b...are-brave.html
post #16 of 42
App store is not showing up in Canada as of 7:45 AM PDT. If you search for apps they are there, and if you then click on the path statement, you can even navigate to the app store, but there is no link on the main iTunes store page to the app store, nor is there a link in iTunes itself as several reviewers have said.

Lotsa confusion this mornin...
In Windows, a window can be a document, it can be an application, or it can be a window that contains other documents or applications. Theres just no consistency. Its just a big grab bag of monkey...
Reply
In Windows, a window can be a document, it can be an application, or it can be a window that contains other documents or applications. Theres just no consistency. Its just a big grab bag of monkey...
Reply
post #17 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by aapl-ip View Post

most of the apps available now strike me as being like the majority of widgets - underpowered and unnecessary utilities that might get downloaded, but not actually used with any regularity.


blah.

Yah!!! These developers have had MONTHS (3 or 4 perhaps) of time putting up with an EVER CHANGING SDK (lots and lots of changes) we should see perfection at its finest....

C'mon give the developers a bit of a break will ya?!?! 3 months from 'concept' to 'release' is unheard of! You will also see the more polished apps are those who already had reusable code in place from other platform/version of their app.

As far as I'm concerned this is quite an impressive showing considering they only allowed 4000 of the 25000 interested developers into the early access program. The rest of us had to be happy with testing our apps on a 'virtual device'...

SO APPLE LET THE REST OF US INTO THE PROGRAM ALREADY!!!!!!!

Dave
Apple Fanboy: Anyone who started liking Apple before I did!
Reply
Apple Fanboy: Anyone who started liking Apple before I did!
Reply
post #18 of 42
as I am not in USA and in my coutry appstore will be release later this year, then I can just dream about... 3G

But for my 2G iPhone there could be grat app for
1. Mobile banking app (as Bank of America has now in appstore) for biggest finance institutions in my country (for top 5 banks) ... with ATM search.
2. Easy to use Podcasting (record, mix, publish) app.
3. Push email support from Lotus notes/domino
4. new multiplayer games (tur by turn strategy, real-time racing)
5. Mobile IP - TV (you can stream TV channels if you are on Wifi network)... like youtube, but real time (especially for sport events, news)
6. Skype app.

Theese could be the one I will use often....

The ones offered today is the "one try/day apps"
post #19 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigants View Post

as I am not in USA and in my coutry appstore will be release later this year, then I can just dream about... 3G

But for my 2G iPhone there could be grat app for
1. Mobile banking app (as Bank of America has now in appstore) for biggest finance institutions in my country (for top 5 banks) ... with ATM search.
2. Easy to use Podcasting (record, mix, publish) app.
3. Push email support from Lotus notes/domino
4. new multiplayer games (tur by turn strategy, real-time racing)
5. Mobile IP - TV (you can stream TV channels if you are on Wifi network)... like youtube, but real time (especially for sport events, news)
6. Skype app.

Theese could be the one I will use often....

The ones offered today is the "one try/day apps"

When did Apple marketing let "you" go?
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #20 of 42
Downloaded 7.7, but I can't see the store. I can click on the link on AI and then it opens in iTunes, but it's nowhere in the software itself.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
post #21 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

Downloaded 7.7, but I can't see the store. I can click on the link on AI and then it opens in iTunes, but it's nowhere in the software itself.

I don't think there is, you have to go to the iTunes store first and then there's now a category for it but when you download an application and Applications item will show in the list within the iTunes software after that.
post #22 of 42
I downloaded iTunes 7.7, I went to the iTunes Store and there's no category for it. There's nothing on the page even referencing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oweneck View Post

I don't think there is, you have to go to the iTunes store first and then there's now a category for it but when you download an application and Applications item will show in the list within the iTunes software after that.
post #23 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

I downloaded iTunes 7.7, I went to the iTunes Store and there's no category for it. There's nothing on the page even referencing it.

I am not sure, for me it shows up as the "App Store" as a link and is referenced as being under Applications everywhere else but then this is also under the UK Apple iTunes store so maybe there's a problem with the US one right now?
post #24 of 42
I have not got my iPhone yet (live in Australia) But am in line and pre-booked so should be ok. I noticed that there were no Chess games or Backgammon games. So I typed in Backgammon into the iTunes search and it came up but when I went to click on it, it told me the store was too busy. Still not happy I decided to click on Buy App and to my surprise it let me and now I got it.
post #25 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveGee View Post

Yah!!! These developers have had MONTHS (3 or 4 perhaps) of time putting up with an EVER CHANGING SDK (lots and lots of changes) we should see perfection at its finest....

C'mon give the developers a bit of a break will ya?!?! 3 months from 'concept' to 'release' is unheard of! You will also see the more polished apps are those who already had reusable code in place from other platform/version of their app.

As far as I'm concerned this is quite an impressive showing considering they only allowed 4000 of the 25000 interested developers into the early access program. The rest of us had to be happy with testing our apps on a 'virtual device'...

SO APPLE LET THE REST OF US INTO THE PROGRAM ALREADY!!!!!!!

Dave

I guess I'm less critical of the development of those available programs than the ideas underlying them. I'm certainly not capable of developing anything.

As a representative example, I don't feel like I need a shopping list application, let alone a choice of multiple shopping lists.

Obviously the games look strong, but again, just like with widgets, a lot of the apps I see available today just aren't compelling, either in development or underlying idea/use.
post #26 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

I downloaded iTunes 7.7, I went to the iTunes Store and there's no category for it. There's nothing on the page even referencing it.

I don't see it either. The only download I received this morning was iTunes 7.7. I think I read somewhere that there are a couple more downloads I should have received. I must have checked too late and Apple pulled the other downloads
post #27 of 42
I managed to download a couple of Apps only available in the US Store - by creating a US Apple store account.
I don't know whether I will be able to load these onto my iPhone 3G (when I get one), but we'll see.
They were all free apps, as I couldn't enter payment information!
post #28 of 42
The only way I got to the AppStore was via the FAQ link posted by AppleInsider.

I just selected one level up and it loaded the App store for me.
post #29 of 42
post #30 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by mydo View Post

Apps Store Link

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/M...&id=25204&mt=8

cool, that worked. I was just using my iPhone 2.0 software to browse the store.
post #31 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

The only way I got to the AppStore was via the FAQ link posted by AppleInsider.

I just selected one level up and it loaded the App store for me.

I guess they are waiting until tomorrow to get it through the store directly?
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
post #32 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbwi View Post

cool, that worked. I was just using my iPhone 2.0 software to browse the store.

You don't have to save the link, You need to add the Applications to your sidebar from Preferences, and then you access the link in the lower right corner when in the local Application section.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #33 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

You don't have to save the link, You need to add the Applications to your sidebar from Preferences, and then you access the link in the lower right corner when in the local Application section.

I wish I could give you a hug
post #34 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbwi View Post

I wish I could give you a hug

Cash works just as well.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #35 of 42
Can you browse the app store on a regular Mac? If not that's dumb. What if I want to browse at work or home just to see what they have? I don't want to be forced to look at a small screen to browse apps.
post #36 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by success View Post

Can you browse the app store on a regular Mac? If not that's dumb. What if I want to browse at work or home just to see what they have? I don't want to be forced to look at a small screen to browse apps.

yes, its part of iTunes.
:-D * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Reply
:-D * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Reply
post #37 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by success View Post

Can you browse the app store on a regular Mac?

Of course you can. The main article for this thread has a pic of the App Store in iTunes and users have posted info as to how to access the App Store in iTunes.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #38 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyeworks View Post

Anyone know if I can purchase one app through the store and install on both my iPhones?

I'm also trying to find an answer to this. I would go broke if I had to pay for each app twice, once for me and once for my fiancees iphone. Does anybody know how this works?
post #39 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by screth View Post

I'm also trying to find an answer to this. I would go broke if I had to pay for each app twice, once for me and once for my fiancees iphone. Does anybody know how this works?

I thought FairPlay was done differently for software, not allowing you to sync it to more than one device at a time under your account, but I can't find any info to back that up. Neither the reports on Apple's support site or the articles about the original iPod Games say you can't.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #40 of 42
I know this is off topic but I think it might be a good idea if Apple had an app store for computer shareware software. I'm not comfortable buying software from a company I've never heard of...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple's App Store launches with more than 500 apps