or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple's iPhone software v2.0 available early for brave users
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple's iPhone software v2.0 available early for brave users - Page 2

post #41 of 137
Same here!!! Syncing my files now
post #42 of 137
Can not get it to work on itunes 7.7 do you need prev version?
post #43 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapporobaby View Post

Has anyone installed the remote? Will it install on the iPod Touch 1.1.4 or is 2.0 required?

Yeah, I just did and it works great with my desktop, haven't tried it with my appleTV yet. I imagine it would work with an iPod Touch b/c it uses your network.
post #44 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last_Restraint View Post

Is Super Monkey Ball worth the ten bucks?

i like the game, you may want to wait for few days, and TOP (Paid) APPS are keep changing, i guess there are plenty of games to download .... need more $$$

Nov '09 | iMac 21.5" C2D 3.06 Ghz | Intel 330 240GB SSD | ATI

Sep '12| Toshiba 14" 1366 x 768! | i5 3rd Gen 6GB| Intel x25-m 120GB SSD | Win 7|  Viewsonic VX2255wmb 22" LCD
iPhone 4S| iPad 2 wifi

Reply

Nov '09 | iMac 21.5" C2D 3.06 Ghz | Intel 330 240GB SSD | ATI

Sep '12| Toshiba 14" 1366 x 768! | i5 3rd Gen 6GB| Intel x25-m 120GB SSD | Win 7|  Viewsonic VX2255wmb 22" LCD
iPhone 4S| iPad 2 wifi

Reply
post #45 of 137
If I used the AIM app to send instant messages, does that deduct from the total SMS I have available? Or is AIM completely unlimited?
post #46 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex3917 View Post

If I used the AIM app to send instant messages, does that deduct from the total SMS I have available? Or is AIM completely unlimited?

i believe no relation between AIM and SMS, for AIM u r using your unlimited data service, thats all, it is not related to SMS ...

Nov '09 | iMac 21.5" C2D 3.06 Ghz | Intel 330 240GB SSD | ATI

Sep '12| Toshiba 14" 1366 x 768! | i5 3rd Gen 6GB| Intel x25-m 120GB SSD | Win 7|  Viewsonic VX2255wmb 22" LCD
iPhone 4S| iPad 2 wifi

Reply

Nov '09 | iMac 21.5" C2D 3.06 Ghz | Intel 330 240GB SSD | ATI

Sep '12| Toshiba 14" 1366 x 768! | i5 3rd Gen 6GB| Intel x25-m 120GB SSD | Win 7|  Viewsonic VX2255wmb 22" LCD
iPhone 4S| iPad 2 wifi

Reply
post #47 of 137
Also realized I had not upgraded to latest iTunes. Will try again when I am able to get Wi-Fi access to update iTunes before trying to update to iPhone 2.0.
Walter Rowe Photography
Columbia, Maryland - USA
Reply
Walter Rowe Photography
Columbia, Maryland - USA
Reply
post #48 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeBop27 View Post

Yeah, I just did and it works great with my desktop, haven't tried it with my appleTV yet. I imagine it would work with an iPod Touch b/c it uses your network.


I am still on 1.1.4 with my iPod Touch. I downloaded the remote app but I can not seem to figure out how to get it on my iPod. I think I need 2.0 to make it work.
post #49 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapporobaby View Post

I am still on 1.1.4 with my iPod Touch. I downloaded the remote app but I can not seem to figure out how to get it on my iPod. I think I need 2.0 to make it work.

Sorry, I totally skipped that part when I read your post. You are going to need 2.0.
post #50 of 137
Just re-syncing my phone now.

If this works, it'll make up for not being able to source a 3G unit for tomorrow!
Earn cashback by shopping online (UK only) - CLICK HERE
Reply
Earn cashback by shopping online (UK only) - CLICK HERE
Reply
post #51 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlton View Post

Well I clicked restore while holding down ALT and it just restored my iPhone.

I did install itunes 7.7

It looks like iTunes 7.7 is required (at least on the Mac). Trying to do the upgrade under 7.6.2 left my phone in recovery mode, and I had to restore 1.1.4 before I could do anything else.

(iTunes 7.7 is available in Software Update now.)

--Dj
post #52 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by djpadz View Post

It looks like iTunes 7.7 is required (at least on the Mac). Trying to do the upgrade under 7.6.2 left my phone in recovery mode, and I had to restore 1.1.4 before I could do anything else.

(iTunes 7.7 is available in Software Update now.)

--Dj

I second that... tried to update the iPhone with the DLed file in the article and it failed three times.
Installing iTunes 7.7 now.

Update: installing iTunes 7.7 allowed the update to happen, iPhone now reports version 2.0 and is syncing all content.
The update takes a LONG time at points with no progress bars on the phone or computer.
post #53 of 137
works great.

all i wanted from 2.0 was the ability to delete more than one email message. it works! yay!

hold'em looks good...

crashed the app store on the iphone... clicked to get a free app then clicked the button for 'featured' and the itunes password prompt came up right as i did that and it killed the app. lol.

Other than that its a very nice software update for my g1 phone. i like it.
:-D * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Reply
:-D * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Reply
post #54 of 137
any apps for
gps text to speech?
voice dialing?
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
Reply
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
Reply
post #55 of 137
I had to reboot the iPhone after attempting to download a couple apps. The apps got stuck on the home screen with a status of "Loading...". Upon reboot, the apps disappeared but downloading from the app store was functional. I've since downloaded a few apps with no trouble.
post #56 of 137
I decided to try to do this to my iPod touch, thinking it would just say no way if it wouldn't work. Well, it did worse than that. Since the update servers are f-ed right now, I can't get iTunes to download the proper software, so my iPod touch is stuck in the 'plug into iTunes' mode.

I'll fix it when I get home tonight. No biggie. Just a bummer that I get no music for my train ride home.
post #57 of 137
Nice Syching with Corp exchange without paying $45 a month.
post #58 of 137
Also no bluetooth headphones for music
post #59 of 137
I found free Wi-Fi (thanks Panera), downloaded iTunes 7.7, and completed the upgrade successfully. No problems.

Noticed a new Contacts application on the Home Screen. Haven't dug deep into it. How does it differ from the Phone application?
Walter Rowe Photography
Columbia, Maryland - USA
Reply
Walter Rowe Photography
Columbia, Maryland - USA
Reply
post #60 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by BioTech View Post

Nice Syching with Corp exchange without paying $45 a month.

yeah, this is very nice. however it will only do 1 exchange server, which sucks. one nice part is that it defaults to no for syncing contacts and calendars, which I do not want. but you can add or remove either of them. too bad it doesn't allow both your personal calendars and exchange, its either one or the other. ugh. maybe 3.0.
:-D * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Reply
:-D * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Reply
post #61 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandau View Post

yeah, this is very nice. however it will only do 1 exchange server, which sucks. one nice part is that it defaults to no for syncing contacts and calendars, which I do not want. but you can add or remove either of them. too bad it doesn't allow both your personal calendars and exchange, its either one or the other. ugh. maybe 3.0.



When I installed itunes it created a new personal calander for mobile me which i think will allow you to sync them once mobileme is up.
post #62 of 137
At first I accidently threw away the zip archive - note that re-zipping and renaming the folder doesn't work My iPhone ended up in recover mode.

But when I re-downloaded and retrieved the original file from the trash, all worked fine. It takes a good 10 minutes for the restore to happen and it looks like nothing is happening during a lot of it.

I've downloaded a few free apps (AOL IM, Google, Remote) along with a game (Cro-Mag) and all work fine. MobileMe setup doesn't seem to be available until tomorrow.
post #63 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by wprowe View Post

Noticed a new Contacts application on the Home Screen. Haven't dug deep into it. How does it differ from the Phone application?

I think it's the same Contacts as you access from the Phone, just a shortcut directly there.
post #64 of 137
I'm so exciting and can't wait to have my ipod touch to control my musics!!!
post #65 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrshermanoaks View Post

I think it's the same Contacts as you access from the Phone, just a shortcut directly there.

I believe it will give you access to your contacts even when you are on the phone. Right now there's no way to look at your contacts while you're on a phone call so it makes it very hard to give someone else someone's phones number, e-mail, address, whatever. It's a small upgrade but I've run into that problem more than once...
post #66 of 137
Awesome, this bricked my phone in a permanent "recovery" state. Fucking great.
post #67 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by ICD-EVIL View Post

Awesome, this bricked my phone in a permanent "recovery" state. Fucking great.

It's not a big deal, redo the recovery process. I've never heard of an iPhone that has been permanently bricked.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #68 of 137
I did, it won't even recover to the old software. Error 2004.
post #69 of 137
Push notification not working on AIM?

If I start a chat and then go to the home screen and some body sends me a message I do not get a notification that i have an IM waiting... Anybody else confirm this.
post #70 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by ICD-EVIL View Post

I did, it won't even recover to the old software. Error 2004.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1808

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kguaW0doMWM
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #71 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

It's not a big deal, redo the recovery process. I've never heard of an iPhone that has been permanently bricked.

Agreed. Can you put it in DFU mode?
post #72 of 137
mail.app doesn't seem to be working for some people after updating to 2.0. It constantly crashes when opened and accounts that were synced cannot be deleted or edited... anyone else experiencing this here??
post #73 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmc6000 View Post

I believe it will give you access to your contacts even when you are on the phone. Right now there's no way to look at your contacts while you're on a phone call so it makes it very hard to give someone else someone's phones number, e-mail, address, whatever. It's a small upgrade but I've run into that problem more than once...

Huh? Of course you can look at your contacts while on a phone call. When you pull the phone away from your ear, the panel with "mute", "keypad"..."contacts"...etc. appears. Tap "contacts".
post #74 of 137
I have it as far as the screen where it says "itunes has detected an iPhone in recovery mode."

But whether I choose the basic recovery with the normal software, of Shift+Click the restore button and use the new 2.0, it just tells me that the phone cannot be restored.

error (5) with the 2.0 software.
post #75 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by ICD-EVIL View Post

I have it as far as the screen where it says "itunes has detected an iPhone in recovery mode."

But whether I choose the basic recovery with the normal software, of Shift+Click the restore button and use the new 2.0, it just tells me that the phone cannot be restored.

error (5) with the 2.0 software.

Stop with the 2.0 and just restore to 1.1.4 and then start over.
post #76 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by ICD-EVIL View Post

I have it as far as the screen where it says "itunes has detected an iPhone in recovery mode."

But whether I choose the basic recovery with the normal software, of Shift+Click the restore button and use the new 2.0, it just tells me that the phone cannot be restored.

error (5) with the 2.0 software.

You can always call Apple for help. The release has been sent to everyone, but since they have put it up on their public servers they will help you, though I'm not sure if the phone support is still free.

But following their online help should work.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #77 of 137
I'm wondering something. Can you place the new iPhone OS file in "~/Library/iTunes/iPhone Software Updates" and then run a normal "Check for Updates"? iTunes should see the new file, and may do the upgrade? This would prevent needing to hold down the Option key for Check for Updates.

[ UPDATE ]

My brother tried what I proposed and it didn't do what I expected. He had to use Option-Click as per the instruction on the front page.
Walter Rowe Photography
Columbia, Maryland - USA
Reply
Walter Rowe Photography
Columbia, Maryland - USA
Reply
post #78 of 137
granted - it has been online a lot downloading contacts email calendar etc... but I'm still surprised... i finished upgrade about three hours ago - with full battery and now my indicator is red....

Remote works great - Signal is going to be bummed for sure...
post #79 of 137
This is awesome. Super Monkey Ball rocks, AIM/iChat is solid, the remote feature is great with my apple tv, and MySpace mobile and Yellow Pages are handy... I love it.
post #80 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

Huh? Of course you can look at your contacts while on a phone call. When you pull the phone away from your ear, the panel with "mute", "keypad"..."contacts"...etc. appears. Tap "contacts".

Oh, well huh. Talk about a major oversight! I never even noticed that! Look at me - had my phone over a year and am still finding new things! hahaha
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple's iPhone software v2.0 available early for brave users