or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › Things you don't want to figure out in the middle of the night

Things you don't want to figure out in the middle of the night

post #1 of 8
So we are up camping tonight and I am awakened by my wife who tells me there is a huge thunderstorm occuring. She reminds me the boys are in our tent. I remind her that it took them around three extra hours to fall asleep and I wasn't going to go wake them up. In typical mom fashion she is worried about them getting wet. In typical dad fashion I tell her that if they are getting wet they will wake up and come into the trailer. The thing you don't want to be figuring out is......does seam sealer even last ten years?

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

post #2 of 8
"camping"

got it.
"In a republic, voters may vote for the leaders they want, but they get the leaders they deserve."
"In a republic, voters may vote for the leaders they want, but they get the leaders they deserve."
post #3 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

So we are up camping tonight and I am awakened by my wife who tells me there is a huge thunderstorm occuring. She reminds me the boys are in our tent. I remind her that it took them around three extra hours to fall asleep and I wasn't going to go wake them up. In typical mom fashion she is worried about them getting wet. In typical dad fashion I tell her that if they are getting wet they will wake up and come into the trailer. The thing you don't want to be figuring out is......does seam sealer even last ten years?

No worry about rain. That's said, I am not a big fan of thunder.
post #4 of 8
I don't do camping, but I'm sure a little rain will only help toughen up those kids a bit.
post #5 of 8

That said, a little rain never hurt anybody.
You need skeptics, especially when the science gets very big and monolithic. -James Lovelock
The Story of Stuff
You need skeptics, especially when the science gets very big and monolithic. -James Lovelock
The Story of Stuff
post #6 of 8
I probably don't know what I was talking about either but that is what happens when you post at 1 AM from your cell phone when watching lightening and thunder and your kids out in a tent.

A little more background. My wife and I enjoy lots of camping in lots of different forms. We scale what we take according to where we go. I don't go as far down as backpack campers because I can't do that with a six and eight year old in tow yet. We do plenty of tent camping or a few times a year use our travel trailer.

The tent the kiddos are sleeping in was the first tent my wife and I bought when we were first married and decided to camp for the first time. It is 12 years old and has some pretty serious use on it, probably 300 or so days of camping in it. We have a different tent for the family now but the kids still use it for sleeping in. This rain resembled some of the monsoon type rains we see occasionally. It showed up, we had a bunch of lightening, thunder and a pretty strong downpour for around 90 minutes and then disappeared.

The kids never knew it happened by the way and the aged tent did not leak at all.

post #7 of 8
If it's that old and didn't leak, it must have been a pretty good quality tent to start with!

The newer ones are just incredible for the amount of abuse they can take from the weather, we have one that's a couple of years old, and once had a rain so heavy there was ankle deep standing water all around the tent (it looked like it was floating on a pond) but not a drop got inside!
The Story of Stuff
The Story of Stuff
post #8 of 8
Whether I should have used "protection"...

I'm not being rude for the sake of it... It's only happened a few times because we just couldn't get our hands of each other. I was pretty freaked out for a few weeks.

The other thing is, and I've never got a proper answer from the health experts... is the big grey area "between 1st base and all the way". Particularly if this occurs in, shall we just say, more than two or different people involved at various stages...
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AppleOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › Things you don't want to figure out in the middle of the night