or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Server problems spoil Apple's iPhone 3G launch
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Server problems spoil Apple's iPhone 3G launch - Page 2

post #41 of 127
one day everything will be perfect.....the grass will be cut a perfect 3/4's of an inch twice a week above your grave!
post #42 of 127
I would bet even if Apple predicted it would have server issues, they decided not to fix it. It might make first day buyers upset, but it makes a very good news story. Lots of free advertising.

I usually see more launch articles about shortages, server issue, etc then articles about launches with no problems and more than enough product to go around.
post #43 of 127
Sure this iPhone rollout is bad, but what about AI's grammar mistake?
Quote:
Thousands of new iPhone 3G buyers around the world are stuck Friday with iPhone's that aren't able to make calls...

Mr. H?
post #44 of 127
I downloaded 2.0 yesterday and no problems at all. This is so typical of any opening of any event, store, or the beginning of a holiday rush. It's not much different than shopping the day after Thanksgiving. Should Apple be omnipotent? I hope not. Should they have re-thought this? I wish. I guess it shows that on one hand the iPhone and Apple's products are a raving success, even though their launch day was not.
post #45 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by samab View Post

I am afraid that Apple has followed Microsoft's idiotic path on that one.

Microsoft tried to save "tens" of millions of dollars by designing the chipset themselves (which they have no expertise in) --- cost them a billion dollars in the long run.

Apple just bought a chipset company (mainly for their engineers) --- I can just see them trying to save "ten" of millions of dollars by designing the chipset themselves.

wait... what?


the 360 uses a IBM PowerPC setup, it's the PS3 that uses it's own proprietary processor system.
post #46 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

2008 is the year when Apple F**ked up virtually everything, from delivering less iPhone features than expected, to Mobile-Me launch problems, to major Leopard 10.5.3 problems, to the embarrassing ongoing Leopard Server problems, and now to this iTunes overload problem during their big iPhone release.

I don't know what's going on, but since Apple has gotten into the iPhone market their Macs and their Quality Control has taken a stupendous hit. Gosh I don't remember Microsoft having that much bad-luck all at once!


Uh, did Apple announce iPhone 3G specs before it was introduced.

I don't think so.

No, MS maybe has not had that much happen at one.

They just spread it over many years time.

Vista?
post #47 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

Hey! Chillout, that was very inappropriate. FYI I've been an Apple user since 1980.

If that's the case, you must know that the company has screwed up many other years far worse than this.
post #48 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasper View Post

Have you notice that the camera app is much slower now after the update?

K

Yep. I wonde if it has something to do with "geotagging" and determining your location? (Though I turned "Location Services" OFF and the camera didn't load any faster.

Steve
post #49 of 127
I agree with that there may have been some poor planning with the release schedule. I work for a utility that recently implemented a new online billing application and we spent months planning and testing and our servers only barely made it through the first 12 hours. We have about 300,000 online customers. Trust me it is very difficult know exactly how your servers/process will hold up under exterme conditions.

So I think screwed up is alittle harsh.
post #50 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdginky View Post

I have been purchasing Apple products since 1991. My first Mac was a Classic. I purchased a new iMac when they were recently refreshed. I received two faulty iMacs in a row that I had to return and the third I had to reinstall the OS before it worked correctly. My iPhone 1.0 is only seven months old and is already having battery problems. Today's release of iPhone 2.0 has been a failure to say the least. My concern is that this may be Apple's new way of operating and it reminds me too much of many of the Windows compatible products. Just thinking out loud.

And I bought 2 cubes 5 years ago(used). Have purchased 2 eMacs, 1 iMac, 4 iPods(of various generations), and a MacBook this last January. We have both had 1rst generation iPhones since the end of last summer. Have not had a single issue with any of these products.

Apple just tried to squeeze too much in at once. The 2.0 software should have been available to the legacy crowd first like last week or something. That would have solved the whole issue of today, unless something else is going on that Apple isn't talking about.
"Some of us are decent people who want to stay out of the emergency room, but still
blast through neo-gridlock traffic in residential districts whenever we feel like it....
For that we need fine...
Reply
"Some of us are decent people who want to stay out of the emergency room, but still
blast through neo-gridlock traffic in residential districts whenever we feel like it....
For that we need fine...
Reply
post #51 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by skottichan View Post

wait... what?

the 360 uses a IBM PowerPC setup, it's the PS3 that uses it's own proprietary processor system.

We are not talking about the CPU, there are a million other chips on the xbox 360 board.

Read this eetimes article about how Microsoft "tried" to save tens of millions, but actually cost them a billion dollars extra.

http://www.eetimes.com/news/latest/s...leID=208403010

I am afraid that Apple is following Microsoft's idiotic path.
post #52 of 127
Jobs needs to make a statement saying something to the effect that they acknowledge the problem and will fix it as soon as possible.

Damage control sooner than later...or else the press, and RIM will have a field day, if they aren't already.
post #53 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

Hey! Chillout, that was very inappropriate. FYI I've been an Apple user since 1980.

Oh, geez. Using an Apple ][ in grade school because you had to doesn't make you an Apple user. When did you first DECIDE to start using Apple products ... and pay for them? That's the question.
post #54 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjgienapp View Post

I agree with that there may have been some poor planning with the release schedule. I work for a utility that recently implemented a new online billing application and we spent months planning and testing and our servers only barely made it through the first 12 hours. We have about 300,000 online customers. Trust me it is very difficult know exactly how your servers/process will hold up under exterme conditions.

So I think screwed up is alittle harsh.

Well put. You bring a statement to the table that most people have not thought about. I've been in your shoes before (not quite the 300,000 online customers) and youre darn right about not expecting the unexpected. Scary as hell not knowing whats going to happen and you are the man or women with all the answers to all the questions you dont know the answers to. Man, so many folks dont get it because they havent been there. I say, just wait a week and life will be back to normal and a lot of folks will be happy with there new iPhone. Again, great post.
Mr. Scott
Reply
Mr. Scott
Reply
post #55 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

2008 is the year when Apple F**ked up virtually everything, from delivering less iPhone features than expected, to Mobile-Me launch problems, to major Leopard 10.5.3 problems, to the embarrassing ongoing Leopard Server problems, and now to this iTunes overload problem during their big iPhone release.

I don't know what's going on, but since Apple has gotten into the iPhone market their Macs and their Quality Control has taken a stupendous hit. Gosh I don't remember Microsoft having that much bad-luck all at once!

Ok, so according to you Apple sucks. Fine, the Windows world is certainly the other option.
post #56 of 127
I wonder what it is about the activation process that makes it scale so poorly. Of course, any time you get hundreds of thousands of people all trying to do something at once, it will cause issues, but like others, I'm really baffled AT&T and Apple didn't anticipate this.

I wonder if it is something to do with iTunes having to access information in AT&T's databases -- either the systems on AT&T's side can't handle the load, or there is something in the interface between iTunes and the backend systems of AT&T that is broken or unable to scale.

I hope more technical details beyond "too many people hitting the servers!" emerges in the next few days, because there's no sugar-coating what a train wreck this has been. Forcing in-store activation was certainly a major culprit, along with the global launch and having iphone 1.0 users all upgrading at once.

They should have found a way to do this without cutting off people's phone service -- I think that is really what got people steamed. If you can't upgrade right away, fine...but don't let people upgrade in a half-assed way and then lose their phone service. I was able to upgrade to 2.0 this morning, but I lost service for two hours, and my current app sync is broken (I can download apps on the phone, but when I sync with the computer, I get error messages and suddenly the apps don't work any more).

When everything works, it's pretty cool -- watching videos on MLB, playing the new glitzy games, listening to the numerous radio stations...but there is some damage control Apple is going to have to engage in over the next week.
post #57 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdginky View Post

I have been purchasing Apple products since 1991. My first Mac was a Classic. I purchased a new iMac when they were recently refreshed. I received two faulty iMacs in a row that I had to return and the third I had to reinstall the OS before it worked correctly. My iPhone 1.0 is only seven months old and is already having battery problems. Today's release of iPhone 2.0 has been a failure to say the least. My concern is that this may be Apple's new way of operating and it reminds me too much of many of the Windows compatible products. Just thinking out loud.

If everyone were having those kind of problems, the phrase "it just works" wouldn't exist. Sounds like you've had some bad luck, but it's hardly fair extrapolate that experience upon the entire company. I've purchased several Macs through the years, 2 iPhones and a slew of routers and gadgets and have NEVER had any problems.
post #58 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkfeend View Post

Sure this iPhone rollout is bad, but what about AI's grammar mistake?

Mr. H?

Oh, the horror.
post #59 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

2008 is the year when Apple F**ked up virtually everything, from delivering less iPhone features than expected, to Mobile-Me launch problems, to major Leopard 10.5.3 problems, to the embarrassing ongoing Leopard Server problems, and now to this iTunes overload problem during their big iPhone release.

I don't know what's going on, but since Apple has gotten into the iPhone market their Macs and their Quality Control has taken a stupendous hit. Gosh I don't remember Microsoft having that much bad-luck all at once!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DestructoTex View Post

If everyone were having those kind of problems, the phrase "it just works" wouldn't exist. Sounds like you've had some bad luck, but it's hardly fair extrapolate that experience upon the entire company. I've purchased several Macs through the years, 2 iPhones and a slew of routers and gadgets and have NEVER had any problems.

I was thinking the same thing. I guess there will always be "bad apples" at sometime or another (sorry). I've just not had many problems with my Apple products. And they have been much more stable that the other platform that I have used.

(Excuse me waiter, can I get another cool aid, thanks). Just kidding. I prefer Scotch.
post #60 of 127
Yet, once again Apple has underestimated the success of it's products. Almost every product launch is soured by underestimation, whether it's running out of a product too soon, or their servers are overloaded because of the launch of the iTunes Music store, or something else.

You would think that they had learned by now.
post #61 of 127
I am a loyal apple customer, and always have been encouraging people to pay attention to how well -thought out apple executes product unveilings and launches.

I bet Steve Jobs has like an elitist attitude about how dominant his products are to his competitors, but with this nightmare on their hands, i wish i could just be a fly on the wall at cupertino right now.

I bet apple managers and executives are freaking out and probably feel like a bomb just went off and there is panic and chaos and looting happening @ apple. hahaha nobody is invincible, not even apple
post #62 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by sulli32 View Post

I would bet even if Apple predicted it would have server issues, they decided not to fix it. It might make first day buyers upset, but it makes a very good news story. Lots of free advertising.

I usually see more launch articles about shortages, server issue, etc then articles about launches with no problems and more than enough product to go around.

That is not Apple's style at all. They don't choose negative advertising. The impression is that Apple servers and apple server software is not up to par. It looks un-professional. If Apple really is trying to get a foothold in the enterprise world this looks pretty bad, both from a management pov and from a software, hardware pov. If they knew this would happen they would have staggered the event, somehow.

Imagine what we would have said if this was Microsoft? I think all these problems have to do with Apple's recent growth. This is much bigger scale than what they are used to. This has affected a LOT of people. It will all be sorted but I doubt we'll see a similar kind of event. Too ambitious. Jobs loves the big bang type launches and I am sure he is well and truly pissed.
post #63 of 127
Perhaps something along the lines of "Hey, about that whole trying to launch the most desired piece of consumer electronics in the world while simultaneously updating it's older brother and it's nearest cousins with software in the same vein and also relaunching our email/calendar/online storage services in one fell swoop..."

"Sorry. Hope you guys are diggin' it now. Cheers."
Modding for Great Justice
Reply
Modding for Great Justice
Reply
post #64 of 127
My iPhone 2.0 installation has prgressed sucessfully including activating, so the problems must be alleviated now. Good luck to the rest of you!
post #65 of 127
Interesting. Apple's support forum page for iPhone just went offline. did it crash or did Apple pull it because of bad press?
post #66 of 127
MobileMe issues, v2.0 issues, activation issues... geez! I understand that there is a lot going on but Apple seems to more an more frequently fail to give itself any breathing room.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #67 of 127
Well, if I was y'all I wouldn't be too angry and annoyed over Apple about this. Knowing how Steve Jobs reacts to incompetence by his staff he is probably chopping the heads of those at fault right this second. Flames are probably coming out of his nostrils and all! \
post #68 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazinrayzin View Post

Just finally got my new iphone working. around 3PM EST, after trying for 5 hours!!!! But I'm glad I'm done with the hassle



Tried it at 5:30pm ET and I got right in and activated the 2G phone.

It appears the traffic has eased or they (apple) threw some more servers/bandwidth at
the day long problem....

Bob
post #69 of 127
there's still about 250 people in line outside the downtown SF Apple store ... what patience. me, i'll wait until 12 am tonight PDT to try to upgrade my 2G. should have slowed down by then.
post #70 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by DestructoTex View Post

Oh, geez. Using an Apple ][ in grade school because you had to doesn't make you an Apple user. When did you first DECIDE to start using Apple products ... and pay for them? That's the question.

Well thank you for your kind comment, here is list of some personal computers I've owned:
1980: Apple IIe
1981: ZX-81
1982: C-64
1985: Fat Mac 512KB (I still have it)
1988: C-128
1990: C-Amiga 1000
1991: Macintosh II ci
1993: Macintosh PowerBook Duo (I still have it)
1994: Macintosh Quadra 840
2000: PowerBook G3 Pismo
2002: PowerMac G4 Quicksilver (I still have it)
2004: PowerBook 12" G4 (I still have it)

Installed 4x OS 8&9 Servers, 4x OSX Servers (v.10.1 to 10.4), 5x Windows NT&2003 Servers, 3x Linux Web Servers.

A little more than grade school wouldn't you say?
bb
Reply
bb
Reply
post #71 of 127
Apple really didn't impress me today. First, I walk into the ATT store to purchase an iPhone, and the retail rep. tells me they are all out of phones. He told me there were 200 people on line at 8:00am and that they soon ran out of supply.

Are you kidding me? ATT and Apple couldn't anticipate the need for more units on opening day? What the F is that? They only had 200 or so units in stock for the store I went to? Unbelievable that Apple and ATT would not accommodate the obvious rush of people who will want to buy it on day one.

Then, after learning ATT was out of stock at that store, I proceeded to begin the process of making my purchase with a ship date to be received at that same ATT store the following week. I pull out my cash, and the clerk tells me "no cash." "You must use a credit card!"

What the F? I have to use a credit card! I can't buy it cash. That's f&%*ing bull$#!t. They wouldn't even take the $100 ATT Debit card I received from ATT.

Then, I get home to read online that Apples servers are all crashed, and people can't activate their new phones, and the people with the old phones are all off line.

I'll blame this primarily on Apple. They really F'd this up. Their overly managed control of this entire roll out is a cluster F. It's as if Apple thinks they are king of the world and they must over-micromanage everything, to the point of screwing it all up.

I'm very disappointed with my entire iPhone experience. Apple has over managed everything and really made it inconvenient for the consumer in every way. From the $199.00 upgrade restrictions to their inconsideration of the effects on their first generation iPhone users.

Wow!

John Blenio
San Jose, California
post #72 of 127
jblenio, tomorrow will come, and you will realize that you are still alive.
Apple hasn't stolen your family from you in the dead of night. They haven't killed your cat.
They simply introduced you to what launch day of a popular product is like.

You will live.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samab View Post

We are not talking about the CPU, there are a million other chips on the xbox 360 board.

Read this eetimes article about how Microsoft "tried" to save tens of millions, but actually cost them a billion dollars extra.

http://www.eetimes.com/news/latest/s...leID=208403010

I am afraid that Apple is following Microsoft's idiotic path.

You are assuming Apple will make the same mistakes.
I'll wager that is a rather poor assumption.
The true measure of a man is how he treats someone that can do him absolutely no good.
  Samuel Johnson
Reply
The true measure of a man is how he treats someone that can do him absolutely no good.
  Samuel Johnson
Reply
post #73 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

Well thank you for your kind comment, here is list of some personal computers I've owned:
1980: Apple IIe
1981: ZX-81
1982: C-64
1985: Fat Mac 512KB (I still have it)
1988: C-128
1990: C-Amiga 1000
1991: Macintosh II ci
1993: Macintosh PowerBook Duo (I still have it)
1994: Macintosh Quadra 840
2000: PowerBook G3 Pismo
2002: PowerMac G4 Quicksilver (I still have it)
2004: PowerBook 12" G4 (I still have it)

Installed 4x OS 8&9 Servers, 4x OSX Servers (v.10.1 to 10.4), 5x Windows NT&2003 Servers, 3x Linux Web Servers.

A little more than grade school wouldn't you say?

What, no Newton? What kind of a fanboy are you, anyway?
post #74 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Scott View Post

Well put. You bring a statement to the table that most people have not thought about. I've been in your shoes before (not quite the 300,000 online customers) and youre darn right about not expecting the unexpected. Scary as hell not knowing whats going to happen and you are the man or women with all the answers to all the questions you dont know the answers to. Man, so many folks dont get it because they havent been there. I say, just wait a week and life will be back to normal and a lot of folks will be happy with there new iPhone. Again, great post.

Fortunately, not all 300,000 customers logged on at once; if that had happened our servers would have crashed or the service would have been on and off. We had what we believed to be good estimates and test scenarios but we were still surprised by how many people logged on to the system within the first 10 minutes, about 5000.

We discovered from the experience that when a company says a service will be available at a certain time they (customers) expect it to be perfect and fast. This is sort of expectation seems to becoming more important to customers as we are more dependent on mobile connectivity (not necessarily a bad or wrong expectation). And unfortunately, I think Apple underestimated this expectation and considering that this is the second high profile launch they should have expected this sort of problem could arise and perhaps staggered the release of MoblieMe, iPod Touch, and iPhone 3G.
post #75 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottiB View Post

If that's the case, you must know that the company has screwed up many other years far worse than this.

I disagree. Sure they've had the bombs (Cube, 20th Anniversary Mac), mis-steps (Pippin), growing pains (transition to OS X), and bad PR (iPod batteries). And even when they had cases of software updates causing data loss only affect a very small percentage of users. I've been using Apple computers and been a fan since the Apple II. The last three days of MobileMe and iPhone issues is by far the the biggest end-user impacting problem I can remember Apple ever happening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

MobileMe issues, v2.0 issues, activation issues... geez! I understand that there is a lot going on but Apple seems to more an more frequently fail to give itself any breathing room.

Yes, I think Apple may have grown too big for its britches. Ever since they announced the delay of Leopard to allow them to finish the iPhone on time last year they seem to be falling farther and farther behind their own ambitions. Companies often decline after they expand too fast (Krispy Kreme anyone?).

It may be time for Apple to take a step back and take a deep, collective breath. Put Snow Leopard on hold a short while to get their wits about them and get their bearings. There's a chance the the iPhone problems were contributed to by resources being distracted by the MobileMe fiasco. Time to spend some of those billions of dollars of cash they have lying around in strengthening their infrastructure and resources. It's time to buy some bigger britches.
post #76 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

Well thank you for your kind comment, here is list of some personal computers I've owned:
1980: Apple IIe
1981: ZX-81
1982: C-64
1985: Fat Mac 512KB (I still have it)
1988: C-128
1990: C-Amiga 1000
1991: Macintosh II ci
1993: Macintosh PowerBook Duo (I still have it)
1994: Macintosh Quadra 840
2000: PowerBook G3 Pismo
2002: PowerMac G4 Quicksilver (I still have it)
2004: PowerBook 12" G4 (I still have it)

Installed 4x OS 8&9 Servers, 4x OSX Servers (v.10.1 to 10.4), 5x Windows NT&2003 Servers, 3x Linux Web Servers.

A little more than grade school wouldn't you say?

You wrangled with the trackball on a Duo as well as installed OS 9 Servers and THIS gets under your skin? PERSPECTIVE, man! PERSPECTIVE!

John Blenio, San Jose, California - sorry to hear you didn't get a phone today, bro. It should probably be mentioned that it was commonly known that they weren't taking cash for them, but don't let that shake your rage - you've got a right to be up in arms so you up in those arms! Your unspoken (or in this case, typed) anger will surely stir the gods in Cupertino to... well... probably count another stack of fifties. But hey, you probably feel better now that you've got that off your chest... right?
Modding for Great Justice
Reply
Modding for Great Justice
Reply
post #77 of 127
I find it interesting some of you people deem it necessary to still back up Apple after this, saying they didn't screw up, they couldn't expect that this would all happen. Yeah, they didn't screw up--they royally rainbowed up with this one. No excuse for this to happen. It's just a phone? Some people's lives and businesses live primarily because of their phones. Half a day without a phone can potentially cost thousands of dollars of business, so I don't particularly disagree with people who might want compensation, but that's just me.
post #78 of 127
itunes now regognizes that version 2.0 exists and i click update then a small window appears and asks to cancel or learn more, then the store starts loading then 2 seconds later i am back to my ipod screen where it all started.
But this is progress, half an hour ago it told me that 1.1.4 was the current version
post #79 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

It may be time for Apple to take a step back and take a deep, collective breath. Put Snow Leopard on hold a short while to get their wits about them and get their bearings...

I don't believe I'm alone when I say I'm glad you're not in charge of things over there. Your analytical skills appear to need a little more time in the oven to bake.
Modding for Great Justice
Reply
Modding for Great Justice
Reply
post #80 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskeo View Post

itunes now regognizes that version 2.0 exists and i click update then a small window appears and asks to cancel or learn more, then the store starts loading then 2 seconds later i am back to my ipod screen where it all started.
But this is progress, half an hour ago it told me that 1.1.4 was the current version

Same here... A bit annoying but I can wait.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Server problems spoil Apple's iPhone 3G launch