or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Where is the official iDisk iPhone App?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Where is the official iDisk iPhone App?

post #1 of 20
Thread Starter 
... or am I missing something. I can't even find an iPhone/iPodTouch optimized web interface.

post #2 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hujib View Post

... or am I missing something. I can't even find an iPhone/iPodTouch optimized web interface.


I don't think they've announced an iDisk app. You can't view me.com from the iPhone/Touch
post #3 of 20
Thread Starter 
This seems like a huge oversight on Apple's part. If there is no way to sync data from within iTunes to an iPhone or iPodTouch device then why not have a native Apple iDisk app for saving and opening files from/to. I'm aware of apps like FileMagnet, which I've purchased and use but why wouldn't Apple make their own iDisk app available. It would help sell more MobileMe subscriptions and doesn't require a local mac to sync data.
post #4 of 20
I would totally use this. Maybe it will show up under MobileMe's new management!
2 dogs and 1 cat, we've got a full house!
Reply
2 dogs and 1 cat, we've got a full house!
Reply
post #5 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by shutterrelease View Post

I would totally use this. Maybe it will show up under MobileMe's new management!

That WOULD be nice. I just don't get why this wasn't done. It would certainly ease the pain of handling documents you need quick access to, and in a far more secure environment, than emailing them to you as attachments.
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
Reply
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
Reply
post #6 of 20
Baby steps?

It seems like a natural to use iDisk to store documents, much like a Finder, and then use Quick Look to view. This ability would replace Readdle for me.
post #7 of 20
Wow. I didn't even realize this was not part of the whole MobileMe thing. Using iDisk just seemed to me to be the actual POINT of making .mac have anything to do with the iPhone.
post #8 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsenka View Post

Wow. I didn't even realize this was not part of the whole MobileMe thing. Using iDisk just seemed to me to be the actual POINT of making .mac have anything to do with the iPhone.

I'm in agreement here! Bring back iCard!
"Run faster. History is a constant race between invention and catastrophe. Education helps but it is never enough. You must also run." Leto Atreides II
Reply
"Run faster. History is a constant race between invention and catastrophe. Education helps but it is never enough. You must also run." Leto Atreides II
Reply
post #9 of 20
iDisk isn't really the point "point" of MobileMe. Its main selling point for iPhone users is push email, calendar and contact sync. Plus the ability to upload your camera pics into your MobileMe galleries. The other selling point is the cloud computing and ability to access all of your info from any computer (sort of) and to sync all of your contacts, calendar, and email between multiple devices-pc, mac, iphones, ipod touch).

As for accessing me.com through mobile safari- you cant access me.com directly, but you can access the different MobileMe web apps by going to the links that it gives you for sharing. For instance, to get to your iDisk type http://public.me.com/username. For your photo galleries you would type http://gallery.me.com/username.
post #10 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by jae View Post

iDisk isn't really the point "point" of MobileMe. Its main selling point for iPhone users is push email, calendar and contact sync. Plus the ability to upload your camera pics into your MobileMe galleries. The other selling point is the cloud computing and ability to access all of your info from any computer (sort of) and to sync all of your contacts, calendar, and email between multiple devices-pc, mac, iphones, ipod touch).

As for accessing me.com through mobile safari- you cant access me.com directly, but you can access the different MobileMe web apps by going to the links that it gives you for sharing. For instance, to get to your iDisk type http://public.me.com/username. For your photo galleries you would type http://gallery.me.com/username.

I totally disagree.

iDisk is core feature of the service and should be accessible VIA the iPhone.

As a software developer myself, i see this as a MAJOR blunder, and I can understand if they fire the initial mobileMe dev team.

I beleive this is due to the lack of another core feature in the iPhone 3G "Finder"

There is not a native ( or accessible gui ) file management program for the iPhone.

This is just a clear indicator that the application was released incomplete.

It's just logical that your iDisk is accessible via the iphone, I could see myself using this feature daily.
post #11 of 20
ibe john, i agree that iDisk is a important feature and would be great if Apple included a native app to access it. And, as a developer myself, that is the one feature that i miss from my windows mobile platform (the ability to import, store, and edit files). However, I still don't agree that iDisk is the point of MobileMe for the iPhone per se.

Everything that you hear about MobileMe from Apple, when referring to the iPhone, is the push technology and how it is the "exchange for the rest of us". Exchange is all about syncing mail, contacts, and calendars - not remote file access. That is the feature that they are marketing for the iPhone. Not iDisk.

But again, I do think iDisk app would be a nice feature. In all honesty, I dont think they realize how many people actually "work" on their mobile phones.
post #12 of 20
Thread Starter 
My understanding is that iDisk is just a WebDAV directory. Are there any restrictions on accessing iDisk in the iPhone SDK? Even if a 3rd party developer did make iDisk access possible it wouldn't offer the same integration native iDisk support would provide.
post #13 of 20
I think someone from iPhone developers camp had read this thread

Yesterday I have found A.I.Disk application for my iPhone. It allows me download any files from my MobileMe iDisk account to the iPhone, view them on the go and email to others as attachments. It works pretty good so far.
post #14 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hujib View Post

This seems like a huge oversight on Apple's part. If there is no way to sync data from within iTunes to an iPhone or iPodTouch device then why not have a native Apple iDisk app for saving and opening files from/to. I'm aware of apps like FileMagnet, which I've purchased and use but why wouldn't Apple make their own iDisk app available. It would help sell more MobileMe subscriptions and doesn't require a local mac to sync data.

I couldn't have said it better myself. I think it's overly misleading to market MobileMe as a service that supports bilateral communication between your phone and your computer if you can't even access your files from your phone.

Apple, you owe me $4.99. I shouldn't have had to purchase a third party app to access files you led me to believe I'd be able to access when I bought a MobileMe subscription.
post #15 of 20
I think MobileMe is a great idea, but it is so b..... expensive!!!! No way I am paying that much money for it...... Sorry Apple.....
post #16 of 20
They have since announced an iDisk app. It is scheduled to be released soon
post #17 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbwi View Post

They have since announced an iDisk app. It is scheduled to be released soon

I too am keeping my eyes open for this. Very anxious now that I have a portable with as much storage space as my iDisk. I used to use Mobile Files Pro (Now Quicksheet, scam artists), but that app is terrible.
post #18 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericvet8b View Post

I think MobileMe is a great idea, but it is so b..... expensive!!!! No way I am paying that much money for it...... Sorry Apple.....

How is $100 paid once a year expensive?

$100 = two meals or so (for two people) at a decent restaurant. MobileMe is a service you have throughout the year and which can come in very handy (not to mention iDisk and its associated sotarge.) Accessible from anywhere. Seems like a fair trade.
post #19 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

How is $100 paid once a year expensive?

$100 = two meals or so (for two people) at a decent restaurant. MobileMe is a service you have throughout the year and which can come in very handy (not to mention iDisk and its associated sotarge.) Accessible from anywhere. Seems like a fair trade.

I actually think its expensive, too. There are a number of sites that provide the same or similar features for free. The only reason I buy it every year is because no one puts all those features together so well.
post #20 of 20
I'm looking online this morning and I no longer see the iDisk app coming soon or mentioned.

(edit) NEVER MIND FOUND IT, though I did think it was easier for some reason in the past to find it when looking at the iPhone section of Apple's site.
http://www.apple.com/mobileme/features/iphone.html
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Where is the official iDisk iPhone App?