or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple sells 1 million iPhone 3Gs in first weekend
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple sells 1 million iPhone 3Gs in first weekend - Page 2

post #41 of 69
Does that count all the pre-sales at AT&T stores in which payment was made but product will be picked up and activated in 5-10 days.

I wonder how many were sold in the US? I ask not only because I am your typical, fat, lazy, cheeseburger eating, warmongering, US-centric American, but because I'd like to compare it to last year's initial release.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #42 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by maybesew View Post

Maybe if it launched in 21 countries with populations roughly equivalent to the US your argument would come close to making any sense.

Yes, and if the per-capita incomes were roughly similar!
post #43 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Adjust for purchasing power parity.

Ah, I see you beat me to it....
post #44 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by poke View Post

All of those countries COMBINED have only a little more than twice the population of the US. If the iPhone proves as popular in all of those countries as it did in the US, then you're looking at a third of a million sold in the US, which is still higher than 270,000, and two thirds sold in the other 20 countries. It's unlikely that it's going to sell as well in, say, Mexico as it did in the US though and I doubt the advertising campaign in Belgium was anything like in the US. I'm guessing half a million were sold in the US.

A quick check using Google of the populations of those 20 countries (some where estimates, others are rounded off) comes to 542,504,000.00 versus the US's 301,140,000.00. So your right in your analysis. So I'll concede sales were good in the US, and UK maybe, anyone hear about Japan? But internationally elsewhere, while a sale is a sale???

But 500,000 in the opening weekend, att is happy...

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Reply

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Reply
post #45 of 69
You guys are also missing something. The original iPhone could be brought and jailbroken without getting a contract. A reasonable amount of the phones brought in the US on launch or not too long after could well have gone overseas.

This time in the countries where the phone is tided to an operator like the US and UK, all of those phones sold got sold with an 18 month contract. Hence I think that's an impressive number of sales because it doesn't include people wanting to unlock it and put it on another network (Even if you can, you'll still have an AT&T or O2 contract for 18 months so why bother).
post #46 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

A quick check using Google of the populations of those 20 countries (some where estimates, others are rounded off) comes to 542,504,000.00 versus the US's 301,140,000.00. So your right in your analysis. So I'll concede sales were good in the US, and UK maybe, anyone hear about Japan? But internationally elsewhere, while a sale is a sale???

But 500,000 in the opening weekend, att is happy...

Japan had queues. I think 500,000 for the US is a good bet because mainland Europe doesn't go in much for queuing for phones.
post #47 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastLaneJB View Post

You guys are also missing something. The original iPhone could be brought and jailbroken without getting a contract. A reasonable amount of the phones brought in the US on launch or not too long after could well have gone overseas.

This time in the countries where the phone is tided to an operator like the US and UK, all of those phones sold got sold with an 18 month contract. Hence I think that's an impressive number of sales because it doesn't include people wanting to unlock it and put it on another network (Even if you can, you'll still have an AT&T or O2 contract for 18 months so why bother).

That is a god point, and to further accommodate your point AT&T is a 24 month contract. While the service with AT&T was required for the original iPhone, it was based on good faith (epic fail, as the kids say).

By my estimation AT&T probably activated at least 3x as many iPhones this time around, considering that the US probably sold 600k.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #48 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanmugam View Post

great news ... The number and press it is (iphone 3g) getting good
now apple drop the bomb, announce macbook and mbp tomorrow

yeah new macbook pro pleassssseee
post #49 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

... I ask not only because I am your typical, fat, lazy, cheeseburger eating, warmongering, US-centric American...

But your country maketh the iPhone 3G that the world wants to shove in its face like a really bad greasy cheesburger?
post #50 of 69
So I think that the supply issues were pretty big. I livein Bloomington, IN (USA) -- a town of ~100K; we have 3 AT&T stores and no Apple store -- we got 30 phones/AT&T store, which sold out on Friday. One store got a shipment of 10 phones in on Friday that they sold on Saturday. meaning that we only had 100 phones in the entire community. That is 0.1% of the population. Apple sold 1 mil phones to ~900 mil customers... if we assume that the ratio in Bloomington is consistent worldwide (a major leap, I know), then they sold roughly everything they had to sell.

how many do you think they would have sold if they'd had more phones than buyers everywhere?
post #51 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

As many as they can make.

You mean like they're selling now?

Longer term , once they're established in the market and the exclusive deals have expired, I can see them selling their phones unlocked through non-carrier channels.
post #52 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Does that count all the pre-sales at AT&T stores in which payment was made but product will be picked up and activated in 5-10 days.

I wonder how many were sold in the US? I ask not only because I am your typical, fat, lazy, cheeseburger eating, warmongering, US-centric American, but because I'd like to compare it to last year's initial release.

I'm not sure how we'd find that out. If we could work out the number of stores in each country selling iPhones and assume a fairly even distribution of phones with some sort of fudge factor for compensate for the "the USA is the centre of the universe" bias. Also maybe assume Apple stores have more stock in countries where they sold them.
post #53 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by merdhead View Post

I'm not sure how we'd find that out. If we could work out the number of stores in each country selling iPhones and assume a fairly even distribution of phones with some sort of fudge factor for compensate for the "the USA is the centre of the universe" bias. Also maybe assume Apple stores have more stock in countries where they sold them.

I obvious can't verify the claims but there have been several posters that have stated that x store in y country has only recieved an average number of z units. Now only if we can get more detailed info and from every country. Yeah, not possible. I guess we'll have to wait to see if AT&T wants to boost about how many iPhones they activated this past weekend.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #54 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

yeah new macbook pro pleassssseee

+1

Even I myself had a lot of fun with the new iPhone 3G, let's see some momentum for the new Montevina update.

Seriously Apple simply does not have the man power to deal with another new product release now. If you go around any Apple store, the only product Apple stores are selling is iPhone 3G yet the lines loop around block after block as people have been waiting in line for Disneyland attraction.

If Apple could have more iPhone 3G supply, it will definitely sell a lot more than reported today. Many ATT stores seemed quiet down after Friday afternoon simply they don't have enough 3G units to continue on with sales (ATT can only take fulfillment order after the first few hours after iPhone 3G were all sold). If Apple could have allocated more 3G units to ATT stores, they could have helped to expedite the process and get the phones to those with fulfillment sooner.

The supply needs to catch up as demand are totally outweighed now. There are more international telecoms carriers planned to offer iPhone 3G in the coming months, we may see even tighter supply among different regions worldwide.

Hopefully in any rate, the iPhone phenomena will not push other product refresh delay too much, as the only thing Apple seemed to be able to handle at current workload capacity is iPhone transaction.
post #55 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

But your country maketh the iPhone 3G that the world wants to shove in its face like a really bad greasy cheesburger?

The longing anticipation is what makes greasy cheeseburgers so good.
post #56 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

As many as they can make.

Which is to say, about the exact same number as they sold in reality
post #57 of 69
Great result for Apple, think they will make the 10 million target easy, real easy.

Here in the UK you can't get an iPhone anywhere except the Apple Regent Street store, and that's only if you have plenty of time to kill. I still haven't got mine. So there is still massive pent up demand.
post #58 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

Not to rain on anyone's parade but...

1,000,000 iPhones divided into 21 countries averages out to just 47,619.05 iPhones per country (in a perfect world, I know)... so last year's original iPhone launch of 270,000 iPhones in the first two days overwhelms the response for 3G iPhones.

Although, before I get slammed for looking at it this way, it would have been interesting to see what the actual total number of 3G iPhones sold could have been if A) they didn't have to deal with the early issues of non-activation from iTunes bogging the retail outlets down and B) they had an unlimited supply of all three model iPhones, in all colors, for all countries, and all retail outlets in those countries.

But, congrats to Apple all the same!

The real "WOW" factor would have been if Apple could have sold 270,000 iPhones 3G in three days in all countries. 270,000 x 21 = 5,670,000 iPhones... Wow!

If we device the sales on a per capita basis for each country the US sold many more than last year with having over 1/2 of the the population of the other countries combined.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #59 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdasmith View Post

Anyone else found that MobileMe kills their iPhone VERY quickly? I seem to be luck to get 1/2 a day out of it (although the games I've downloaded may have something to do with it). It seems (from the sound coming out of my car radio) that the iPhone is constantly connected to the MobileMe server when push is activated. I would have thought it would have been better to give each iPhone a specific IP address, which may change, at which point the iPhone can update the MobileMe server. Would negate the need to constantly talk to the MobileMe server though.

Are you referring to the iPhone 3G and MobileMe, or the original iPhone? Playing games will drain your battery too, as you have stated. My original iPhone doesn't have any battery issues before or after MobileMe and push activated. If you have an iPhone 3G, then most likely the 3G feature is killing your battery. 3G talk time is 5 hours, compared to 10 hours with 3G turned off. 3G is not only for data, it handles voice calls too if it is enabled. You might want to disable 3G and see if your assumption is based on MobileMe and the push feature.
post #60 of 69
Hello iAmNewHere

My name is Carl/Sven/Bruce/Yoshi/etc

On Friday I visited all of the Apple stores and carriers in my city in my country. My observation was that there were no queues for your Apple iPhone. The one queue I saw was a mistake. They thought there was free soup!

As I predicted (just before I joined this board) the Apple iPhone will not sell well in my country. The official figures say that approximately 12 Apple iPhones were sold in this weekend. However bloggers are reporting that 8 of these have already been returned due to the high cost of the data plans and the soup.

Here in my country we do not like to buy the technology that is already 5 years old. We prefer last year's technology.

I do not believe that Apple has sold one million of the Apple iPhones. My blogger friend(s) in your country(s) tell me that many units are remaining on shelves. Many have been returned. Real world estimations put the real world sales at approx 1670 units.

Not bad really (For a toy phone) but to compare .... Nokia N95 sells 12 million in just a week in my country. HTC Touch Diamond Geezer Pro sells also very well.

Ciao.
post #61 of 69
Please, don't respond to the above poster. That just encourages more fake accounts to be created.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #62 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfneuralnet View Post

Our entire state (PA) is out of iPhones in the Apple Stores, and AT&T ran out on Friday in Philadelphia, and doesn't know when they are being resupplied. I have to buy one at an ATT store since I have a FAN discount, so I am out of luck for a while.

I know a lot of people who wanted to buy one this weekend but couldn't.

If they hadn't constrained AT&Ts numbers of phones so badly, and had problems with activation on Friday, they would have done much better opening numbers.

I realize I will get one before Europe though, so I am not complaining too much.

KOP has 16Gb white phones according to their site as of right now.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
post #63 of 69
Apple Iphone 2 CEOs:
Thats what i meant when i said before that- "Its not always the same as making all the money in a deal and a number of DEALS"
post #64 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isomorphic View Post

I wonder how many iPhones Apple would have sold if they weren't shackled to the Man?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

As many as they can make.

Quote:
Originally Posted by merdhead View Post

You mean like they're selling now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

Which is to say, about the exact same number as they sold in reality

Sure. I give you this weekend. But what about the next few months?

Unlocked, unsubsidized, unsandboxed, open-SDK you don't have to sign up for to download (or that comes with it), sort of like the Mac itself -- versus the antithesis of these things.
post #65 of 69
I was surprised to see that there was one store that has had a continuous supply of iPhone 3G's: the Apple Sydney store. People have been lining there for days since the release, and it appears they keep getting shipped to the store.

Obviously not all of them are sold... but priority is going to the big Australian Apple Store
post #66 of 69
US terrorist watchlist now has more than 1,000,000 names and Apple has just sold more than a 1,000,000 3G iPhones this past weekend. Coincidence?
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #67 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

US terrorist watchlist now has more than 1,000,000 names and Apple has just sold more than a 1,000,000 3G iPhones this past weekend. Coincidence?

Fk. I'm probably on that watchlist. I'm surprised they didn't pull me out of teh queue or give me a body cavity search.
post #68 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by poke View Post

...because mainland Europe doesn't go in much for queuing for phones.

I think they packed in the stores pretty well and bought up all the iPhone 3Gs. ...Belgium for example, Switzerland, all gone. So overall a good sign for iPhone in mainland Europe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFU View Post

+1 ... Seriously Apple simply does not have the man power to deal with another new product release now. If you go around any Apple store, the only product Apple stores are selling is iPhone 3G yet the lines loop around block after block as people have been waiting in line for Disneyland attraction...

Totally agree. Apple is at max capacity in all areas of its operations. They tried and are trying to leverage the mobile phone telco companies and handset distributors but outside of AT&T we can see that this relationship is facing challenges, not least because a lot of these telcos are balls and suck big time in their own ways.

Regent Street Store London, you wouldn't believe the huge number of staff, infrastructure, etc. unless you've been there a few times, and even then, it's still pretty impressive. It's like a small enterprise in and of itself. Scale this by 1,000 for Apple Global *retail* alone, and you can see the mammoth task Apple now has, to grow without losing itself in the process. Not easy.
post #69 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by maybesew View Post

So by your math, 1 million iPhone 3G means there are 10 million UNLOCKED original iPhones, when Apple has said they sold a total of 6 million.

Nice work.

Are you dumber than you look?! Where do you get this math? He said 10 times bigger in HIS or HER country. If his or her country sold 1 million then you'd be correct but no single country sold 1 million iPhone 3G over the weekend launch.

I'll quote from their post, so please read carefully, "The number of hacked iPhone 2G phones in my country is still 10 times bigger than the number of carrier locked iPhone 3G phones."

..."my country"...

One would need to find out the country, of course, in order to comment on their mathematical interpretation but if you were to believe Piper Jeffray's Gene Munsters country stats chart listed in another AI article, there are six countries with 2k or 3k of 3G iPhones sold. Are you saying that over the course of the original iPhone introduction and year to date sales from that launch to the launch of the 3G iPhone that it is not possible that out of a total of 6 million iPhones sold that 20,000 - 30,000 2G iPhone units have not been purchased, unlocked and floating around in his or her country???

I doubt those numbers but that is not what I am saying here. I am saying is the suggestion that unlocked 2G iPhones is 10 times bigger than the number of carrier locked 3G iPhones sold over the three day weekend time period PLAUSIBLE?

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Reply

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple sells 1 million iPhone 3Gs in first weekend