or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 now fuller rivals to Apple TV

PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 now fuller rivals to Apple TV - Page 4

post #121 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

What is this, 1985? Seriously, you need to get out of your cave and realise that gamers have grown up. The average age of a 360 or PS3 player is 25-35, which is an ideal age range for renting high-def movies online.

Maybe if you were talking about the Wii you would have more credability, but you're way off the mark here. You may also be interested to know that he PS3 is a damn good blu-ray player, the best on the market in fact.

The average age of a PS3/Xbox gamer may be 25-35 but the average 25-35 year old isn't a PS3/Xbox gamer (this blog readership excepted) so iVlad's comment holds true. Remember Apple aren't trying to grab existing marketshare so much as trying to create a new one.

McD
Android proves (as Windows & VHS did before it) that if you want to control people, give us choices and the belief we're capable of making them. We're all 'living' the American dream.
Android proves (as Windows & VHS did before it) that if you want to control people, give us choices and the belief we're capable of making them. We're all 'living' the American dream.
post #122 of 127
An old thread, I know. Netflix streaming coming to PS3. I think that it's very disappointing that Apple has not been able to swing some kind of deal with Netflix to bring streaming video to the iTunes store or to the Apple TV. My PS3 is threatening to become a focal point of my home theater.
post #123 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishan View Post

AMy PS3 is threatening to become a focal point of my home theater.

Given Blu-Ray, streaming and games I don't see why that would be surprising.
post #124 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinea View Post

Given Blu-Ray, streaming and games I don't see why that would be surprising.

I think that it probably has to do with the fact that I have had a hard time thinking of it as anything other than a game system. Maybe I just desperately wanted the ATV to be the do it all box of my home theater. I still use it all the time for video in my iTunes library, but my PS3 is getting more and more use as I start to purchase more bluray titles. It has got me starting to explore the other features of the device. When I heard that Netflix was coming, it made me a little sad because I realized that the device I had been wanting for so long is essentially my PS3. If I wasn't already so invested in my iTunes library, I might consider moving everything en masse to PS3.
post #125 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishan View Post

I think that it probably has to do with the fact that I have had a hard time thinking of it as anything other than a game system. Maybe I just desperately wanted the ATV to be the do it all box of my home theater. I still use it all the time for video in my iTunes library, but my PS3 is getting more and more use as I start to purchase more bluray titles. It has got me starting to explore the other features of the device. When I heard that Netflix was coming, it made me a little sad because I realized that the device I had been wanting for so long is essentially my PS3. If I wasn't already so invested in my iTunes library, I might consider moving everything en masse to PS3.

iTunes music or videos? If it's music and mostly not encrypted, you can run a UPnP server on your computer and the PS3 can connect to it. One such example is Nulriver's Medialink, and I can use the PS3 to look at my photo library and play music. I think it did video serving too, transcoding on the fly.
post #126 of 127
Not a chance.. As Apple has proven time and time again, It's not just features, it's the software. The iTunes integration alone offers something those other devices will never be able to offer. Add to that the portability with the content via iPods, iPhones, Macs and PCs.. You certainly can't take a tv show you bought on your XBox 360 with you on your Blackberry, but you CAN take a tv show you bought on iTunes/Apple Tv with you on your iPod/iPhone
post #127 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertofwater View Post

Not a chance.. As Apple has proven time and time again, It's not just features, it's the software. The iTunes integration alone offers something those other devices will never be able to offer. Add to that the portability with the content via iPods, iPhones, Macs and PCs.. You certainly can't take a tv show you bought on your XBox 360 with you on your Blackberry, but you CAN take a tv show you bought on iTunes/Apple Tv with you on your iPod/iPhone

It is pretty amazing how little attention Sony pays to this aspect. While there's a good bit of integration between the PSP and PS3 IMHO it never really amounted to as much as it could have been.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 now fuller rivals to Apple TV