or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › iPhone 3G and 2.0 affected by buggy software, sensors, wireless

iPhone 3G and 2.0 affected by buggy software, sensors, wireless - Page 2

post #41 of 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

I'm quite pleased with my 3g iPhone. Sure, some apps are a little buggy... but it's still the best damn hand held device out there.

couldn't agree more!
post #42 of 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I, too, am looking forward to the Mophie Juice Pack. It took them 10 months to get the first one out for the iPhone, I hope this one is faster. I like it because it acts like a case and keep it on indefinitely as it has a iPod-connector pass through in it.

If you are just looking for a battery pack and don't care about a seperate charging unit there is one with almost as much mAh as the current Mophie unit and half the price.
http://arstechnica.com/journals/appl...-iphone-3g-use
PS: You can edit your previous posts.
PPS: Welcome to AI.

thanks .. Yes this was my first post!
post #43 of 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

If he says he simply had the phone "on"- why would you think he did all of that?

Sorry for being unclear.. My point was that with minimal use of the ipod, wifi turned off, Fetch turned off, i only got through 6 hours from a full charge to needing a recharge.. (got the 10% warning)

Also, as I mentioned, 3g iphone not compatible with 2008 iPod integration kit in the Mercedes, so it won't charge.. I never saw the "yellow triangle" warning before, until now.

So like one of the other posters.. This was one of the worst Apple experiences ever.. and it just kills me to have to say that..
post #44 of 188
As a few others have mentioned, the contacts have been especially laggy for me... after I press a name it's unresponsive for a few seconds or slow.

I'm a bit mad at myself...I bought the Fox racing game and Monkey Ball, and they're kinda neat but really I just wanted to try them and now I've wasted $20 on games I won't play very often. Both's controls are overly sensitive, but monkey ball's especially overly sensitive.
post #45 of 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by icfireball View Post

As a few others have mentioned, the contacts have been especially laggy for me... after I press a name it's unresponsive for a few seconds or slow.

I'm a bit mad at myself...I bought the Fox racing game and Monkey Ball, and they're kinda neat but really I just wanted to try them and now I've wasted $20 on games I won't play very often. Both's controls are overly sensitive, but monkey ball's especially overly sensitive.

Since the apps have a way of allowing you to sign in to get access, they need to offer a trial app. There might be apps that I would buy if I could try them, but as of right now I either don't realize I want/need them or I fear they are just too buggy to bother with at this point.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #46 of 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

?? Didn't you happen to turn on a TV at all last weekend and see any news that constantly reported the less -than -stellar launch?

You expect otherwise from the media?
post #47 of 188
I agree that AAPL is getting ahead of themselves in terms of releasing products before they're ready for prime time, but I also don't hold them 100% responsible, it's fueled by the people on these very forums who strike up drumbeats of when to expect new product launches, and these things snowball into full-blown rumors and then into Wall Street expectations, and then god forbid if they don't release the iPhone at such-and-such event the damn stock is gonna plummet like an anchor in the sea! I mean AAPL never mentions any sort of time frame for anything, but if they let down the rumor mongers the stock is toast (And the product is shit cause it was rushed)! I hate all of you! B~)
post #48 of 188
Quote:

0x07) As stated, there are a lot of bad apps. I preferred Apple being the judge, jury and executioner of the App Store (and I still do) but to me that mean they were testing these apps and telling the developer to fix this or that before they will hist it. Like an editor for a book. This does not seem to be the case. With 20% more apps on the App Store since last week and Apple accepting me into the program i think this issue will get worse.

Don't be so tough on yourself
post #49 of 188
I have an original iPhone with the 2.0 software and my problems have been fairly minimal. The two problem apps have been Safari, which crashes more than 1.1.4, especially when I visit TUAW, and the settings app. It is nonfunctional when apps are downoading or installing from the App Store. Other than that and the minor freezes that have always been present, the 2.0 software has not significantly changed the experience on my iPhone. I hope those of you with problems have them resolved soon.

Steve
20" Aluminum iMac (August 2007) - Snow Leopard 10.6.4
13" MacBook Pro (2.53 Ghz) - Snow Leopard 10.6.4
64 GB iPad Wifi
32 GB iPhone 3GS
8 GB iPhone (Original)
2 iPod Minis (Blue, 4GB)
20" Aluminum iMac (August 2007) - Snow Leopard 10.6.4
13" MacBook Pro (2.53 Ghz) - Snow Leopard 10.6.4
64 GB iPad Wifi
32 GB iPhone 3GS
8 GB iPhone (Original)
2 iPod Minis (Blue, 4GB)
post #50 of 188
Sorry to disappoint some of you rumour mongrels and apple disses but i got my 3G on the morning of the launch, had it up and running within an hour, everything works perfect, no crashes or dodgy app experiences, GPS works like a dream, Car Phone Warehouse/O2 service fantastic and great value for money and the battery life seems more than adequate when comparing with other friends and colleagues 3G phones.

The only minor issue i have seen is if i get a spammy/junky email on my iPhone and pop it into the junk folder, then when i log into my MobileMe account in the cloud the email isn't in my junk folder but still in the inbox.

I know a lot of Apple users and they do tend to be a fussy lot. Most suffer from OCD and the like, so i'd expect to hear some grumblings as it's the nature of the beast.

But for any of you out there reading these forums who don't own an iPhone, then i couldn't praise the iPhone 3G high enough. Believe me there's now't better than seeing your colleagues dribbling at the mouth when your sitting beside them during lunch watching a bit of YouTube or surfing the net whilst their trying to fathom out their bricks.
A reputation is not built upon the restful domain of one's comfort zone; it is made out of stalwart exposition of your core beliefs, for all challenges to disprove them as irrelevant hubris.- Berp...
A reputation is not built upon the restful domain of one's comfort zone; it is made out of stalwart exposition of your core beliefs, for all challenges to disprove them as irrelevant hubris.- Berp...
post #51 of 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

True enough it is buggy. I was waiting for a story like this. Apple will issue updates to fix the bugs. This story will pass, it's not that big of a deal.

I'm right with you tenobell. Apple maybe bit off a bit more than they can chew but as funny as this sounds, I am glad they did it. In this case only Apple would have the guts to make such a colossal leap forward. While I am not overly impressed with the phone, I am impressed with the process. This is what will make me pay for Apple products in the future. The fix is coming within days and hopefully many things will be fixed and new things added. This process, the 3G iPhone, MobileMe, etc.... was bound to have those that will complain over anything, so this is to be expected. What I want to see is how Apple responds.
post #52 of 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

This launch, while financially successful for Apple, is an end-user disaster. 3g reception is garbage for a good number of users, slow interface, 3rd party App program crashes. Personally for me, no App store apps have crashed for me. I don't use bluetooth. Very disappointing product from my viewpoint, but I am sticking with Apple to fix them.

"disaster" ? That's a little rich... These are all very minor problems. For god sakes, we are talking about a major hardware and software update and the first release of it's 3rd party platform. This a *MAJOR* project and you would have to be very naive not to expect many bugs to appear... Anyone who just bought a new iPhone or upgraded their old phone is an "early adopter". If you get very frustrated dealing with the annoyances of new technology, I'd suggest waiting at least 4-5 months to upgrade after ANYTHING is released.

Give Apple a month or two to get their ducks in a row, and I'm sure everything will be working great. FWIW, My iPod Touch is running firmware 2.0 and many 3rd partys apps flawlessly. I haven't even noticed one bug or error since I've upgraded.
post #53 of 188
Me, too. Overall, my phone is working really well. There are a few things, but nothing major. Maybe I'm one of the lucky ones (this time).

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

post #54 of 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

Me, too. Overall, my phone is working really well. There are a few things, but nothing major. Maybe I'm one of the lucky ones (this time).

I am with you here as well. I have only one app that is suffering from a personality disorder but for the most part things are going well.
post #55 of 188
The only complaint I have is related to how easy is it to get scratched all other the new iPhone. After one day in my pocket, mine is already showing scratched on the back!! All 3G iPhone cases and screen protectors were sold out when I bought my iPhone
I really hope someone comes up with a product to remove those scratches (Which I am sure will happen).
post #56 of 188
So one of the main reasons Apple decided to lock down the software distribution was to ensure stable 3rd-party applications. Sure it was.

I know people with the 3G iphone and also experience the lag. Those with unlocked 2.5G iphones on firmware 1.1.4 seem to be ok and have pretty stable, free 3rd-party apps.

I'm sure the issues will be resolved but between these things, the carrier signups, the itunes store going down, the whole upgrade experience didn't leave a very good impression.
post #57 of 188
When exactly was this supposed golden age when every product Apple released worked flawlessly and never had a problem? I don't seem to recollect that time the way some people do.
post #58 of 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

When exactly was this supposed golden age when every product Apple released worked flawlessly and never had a problem? I don't seem to recollect that time the way some people do.

The time was before the Web, before a few people could complain on a message board, which in turn signals the world is collapsing.

Could Apple have done a better job on the roll out? Sure. But it's over with and really not a big deal anymore.

So Contacts has a lag in opening...if Apple would have delayed the launch to fix the issues, rather than issuing an update in 2.01, people would be complaining about that too.
post #59 of 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by markymarc View Post

As a long time avid Mac/Apple fan it saddens me to report that the upgrade to the 3G has been perhaps the most disappointing Apple experience I've had..

Without going on about the misleading Mobile Me issues (no Mac to MM push, no calendar groups support or address book groups syncing) this is really about the phone itself..

Here are the initial observations:

1. Compatibility with Mercedes Benz- my old iphone worked flawlessly. There was even a cool feature that by pressing single digits on the dashboard keypad, it would speed dial my iphone's favorites .. So pressing #1, would speed dial the first favorite, #2 the second, etc. With the new phone that feature no longer works. Calling AWS (Mercedes dedicated wireless support group) actually stated "the new phone is not compatible, so the fact you even get it to work is a positive thing!"

2. Current model Mercedes also have a built in iPod integration kit. This allowed me to plug in my iphone and have it charge the iphone, use it as an iPod through the on dash system, but didn't allow for phone functioning. So when trying with the 3G, i got a weird yellow warning symbol on my new phone saying that "This device cannot be charged". this is BAD BAD BAD given the battery life on the new phone.

3. Battery Life- I left the house yesterday at 6:30am with a fully charged iphone. I flew to a meeting in Las Vegas (1 hour flight) and by noon, my phone was already needing a recharge. Keep in mind, this was simply due to checking email (no Fetch was activated), no wifi searching, etc. THIS WAS NOT 5 hours of constant talk time, but simply having the phone "on".

4. GPS- when I wanted to show off the GPS feature, it took several attempts before it located me. It just was frozen on a map from the previous day.

5. Signal Strength- I'm not yet clear on the virtue's of 3G network. Not once have I experienced the signal bars exceeding 1 bar. I've tried to get clear information if the singal bars are irrelevent on the 3G system, but i've never had more calls dropped, or just the mind bender of constantly thinking I'm going to drop a call because of not seeing any signal strength bars.

So what I wind up having to do, is turn off 3G to preserve battery life and then ask WTF? This is WORSE than the first one and can't even use it in daily life.

I can't tell if the battery or reception issues are due to a bad phone or simply the new "state of the art" of this thing. Any ideas?

Thanks.. I just HATE to have to be so DISAPPOINTED about something I want to love so much!

Due to the battery life/signal strength issues you are having, it sounds like something is very wrong with your phone. I would return or exchange it in the 30-day period when they have more stock. I presume you have tried restoring the phone already. Check your mail settings. If you have push on it shouldn't be "checking" your mail too.
post #60 of 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgoodman View Post

This is worse than I've ever seen Apple do. If they don't release a patch soon, and I mean within days, we will see a serious hit to new sales as the grapevine will no longer be supportive. I just can't in good conscience recommend this product.

If you are having this many issues, there is a problem with the software on your phone. I have the 1G and have been using 2.0 for months with none of these issues.

Wipe the phone and start again.
post #61 of 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPeon View Post

You expect otherwise from the media?

Yes I expect them, the liberal media, to stay to the business of helping send this country off to a baseless war, elect more morons like W, and impeach our presidents for lying about oral sex.
post #62 of 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I couldn't agree more.\

More than anything else, it worries me as a shareholder.

Need I remind you that Windows XP SP3 rendered any HP/Compaq with an AMD processor unbootable, and the only way to fix it was restore the software.

to those saying this is what early adopters deserve I will remind them that this is revision 2 possibly 3 of the iPhone and revision 2 of the software. Granted the only thing I've noticed is a slight lag with the contacts, but there is a lot of information there. Otherwise, this device is by far the most favorite thing I've ever purchased.
post #63 of 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by k squared View Post

The time was before the Web, before a few people could complain on a message board, which in turn signals the world is collapsing.

Could Apple have done a better job on the roll out? Sure. But it's over with and really not a big deal anymore.

So Contacts has a lag in opening...if Apple would have delayed the launch to fix the issues, rather than issuing an update in 2.01, people would be complaining about that too.

You only need to go back 8-9 years ago when the original iMac G3s were all the rave. That's why Apple grew to what it is today- from fantastic word of mouth- on the Web!
And why are people always"complaining" when there are real malfunctions with their iPhones? The title of the thread even attests to it. And the roll out is not over if there is a shortage of phones and now malfunction issues. When their IPhone dies after a 3 hour charge- that's not a complaint but a problem.
post #64 of 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by markymarc View Post

Sorry for being unclear.. My point was that with minimal use of the ipod, wifi turned off, Fetch turned off, i only got through 6 hours from a full charge to needing a recharge.. (got the 10% warning)

Also, as I mentioned, 3g iphone not compatible with 2008 iPod integration kit in the Mercedes, so it won't charge.. I never saw the "yellow triangle" warning before, until now.

So like one of the other posters.. This was one of the worst Apple experiences ever.. and it just kills me to have to say that..

Hopefully you never experience the "sad Mac" - now that can send you on a bender.
post #65 of 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

I'm quite pleased with my 3g iPhone. Sure, some apps are a little buggy... but it's still the best damn hand held device out there.

That's not what my girlfriend tells me.
- bad joke , bad joke.
post #66 of 188
Ever since upgrading to 2.0 and again since buying the 3g i have had problems sending and receiving emails. The .mac push only works some of the time. For gmail and my nyc.rr.com (road runner) email, it stinks. It will get stuck on the searching for new mail or connecting commands and then nothing happens. You pretty much have to turn the iphone off and on again to begin receiving emails again. I haven't seen much if anything about this here, but there are tons of questions/comments about this on apple's own blogs... with no posted solution.
post #67 of 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeChe View Post

Ever since upgrading to 2.0 and again since buying the 3g i have had problems sending and receiving emails. The .mac push only works some of the time. For gmail and my nyc.rr.com (road runner) email, it stinks. It will get stuck on the searching for new mail or connecting commands and then nothing happens. You pretty much have to turn the iphone off and on again to begin receiving emails again. I haven't seen much if anything about this here, but there are tons of questions/comments about this on apple's own blogs... with no posted solution.

So your phone doesn't work- stop complaining!
post #68 of 188
There is a long thread on the Apple support forums (here) of people who find that since updating firmware to version 2.0 (both on first generation and 3G phones) Mail becomes unreliable in picking up email. It will work fine for a time, but for those with the problem, it will eventually stop fetching mail at all. Going into an inbox results in notice that the phone is "Connecting..." and the pinwheel spins, but nothing further happens until the phone is powered off and back on or Mail is forced to close by holding the Home button down for five seconds while the update is trying. This problem afflicts POP and IMAP accounts, as well as push and fetch.

No amount of deleting and reconfiguring email accounts, deleting settings, or restoring as a new phone or from backups has successfully solved the problem. There are some reports that Apple knows about this and others that support has never heard of it.

It is EXTREMELY frustrating!
post #69 of 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPhone91 View Post

[T]he settings app. It is nonfunctional when apps are downoading or installing from the App Store.

I discovered this, too. It looks like we have our first workaround (sort of). This is a recrateable issue. So, if you want to use your Settings don't install App Store updates or wait it out.
post #70 of 188
I spoke to AT&T support for email problems and they told me that is a known problem. The fix is to switch off and on the phone once a day.

That is a pain but I am assuming that Apple will fix it at some point.

That is the only problem I have seen so far. This is my first iPhone and I love it.

A
post #71 of 188
The following is for the purposes not of complaining but of adding to the general feedback and hopefully helping Apple.

Have had the phone for 3 days. Am a .mac subscriber now on MobileMe. Have set up the phone for MobileMe.

Initially, Mail seemed to work but no contacts or calendars were pushed to phone, despite iTunes' claim they were.

Called Apple and turned iPhone settings for sync off and back on and did same with phone power and contacts appeared in phone. However, since then, new contacts added to Mac not appearing in (or being pushed to) phone. Calendar appointments from mac still not going to iPhone and vice versa.

Had fully charged phone out last night for a few hours. Did a very small amount of browsing (5 minutes), movie watching (3 minutes), and texting. After 4 hours, had about 25% battery life remaining.

Have also had User Interface delay/lag problems and the odd black screen.

Until these items are fixed, not likely to download 3rd party apps and risk further difficulties.

On a different subject, don't understand why still only Safari works in landscape mode (and not email, for example), cannot copy and paste, SMS cannot access unsaved (not in contact list but in recent call list)) numbers, so must write unsaved down on paper and then compose SMS text message. Also, SMS function cannot access recent recipients list (if there is one) of recently sent text messages while composing a new message -- a very basic functionality disorder.

Have much yet to learn about the iPhone and how it works, so please forgive if have missed something.

Thanks and hope this helps.
post #72 of 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacVicta View Post

Today, for the third time since updating to 2.0, I found upon going to Safari that I'd lost all of my opened pages. I had some real good news articles lined up for later, too.

Safari can open up to 8 tabs but the iPhone can only hold about 2-3 pages in memory. The others will have to be reloaded when you access those tabs.
post #73 of 188
Wow, am i the only one without problems? GPS is working fine for me (outside of course lol), and i don't have an yissue with my third party software.... sometimes it seems to slow down, this is the only problem for me.
post #74 of 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by ikir View Post

Wow, am i the only one without problems? GPS is working fine for me (outside of course lol), and i don't have an yissue with my third party software.... sometimes it seems to slow down, this is the only problem for me.

I currently have access to 4 iphones - 1 3g(mine), and the rest rev 1 phones. All upgraded to 2.0
ALL have a LAG sometimes in contacts and its NOT SLIGHT its 10 seconds sometimes. Nice when someone asks you for the number - bad enough we cant email or beam the contact info - now i have to wiggle my thumb on the screen for 10 seconds before i get response.
Its not the end of the world of course, but its irksome for people to say 'slight' lag that to me would imply 0.5 seconds of 'lag'
if some people see no problems at all it implies that its hardware not software.
On my 3G, I have gps sometimes is there sometimes is not - waiting doesnt help, relaunch the app does help. LAGGING contacts - most of the time, and more dropped calls than my previous iphone.
post #75 of 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacVicta View Post

Today, for the third time since updating to 2.0, I found upon going to Safari that I'd lost all of my opened pages. I had some real good news articles lined up for later, too.

I've had a radar bug report at Apple for this since early 2.0 betas. Using Google Reader on the iPhone is far less useful than in 1.1 because Safari can't keep more than 1 tab open without losing the contents of the second one now. 1.14 could hold 8 pages open at once.
post #76 of 188
well I purchased an iPhone 3G on the day that it came out and I have been quite happy with it. The only problem I had was my ringtone wouldn't play when I got my texts. So I tried restoring it and bow I have a whole lot of trouble. My camera crashes everytime that I try to use it. Photo quit on me and I can't edit my settings because that crashes also. As for my third party apps they work without a flaw and don't crash.

My calls into apple were answered with that I needed to return it foe a new one but now I am unsirie seeing how I could end up with problems that are posted here. Talking to AT&T they told me that the one that they have had more problems with are the 16gb white ones (the one I have)

This is ridiculous
post #77 of 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier 171 View Post

well I purchased an iPhone 3G on the day that it came out and I have been quite happy with it. The only problem I had was my ringtone wouldn't play when I got my texts. So I tried restoring it and bow I have a whole lot of trouble. My camera crashes everytime that I try to use it. Photo quit on me and I can't edit my settings because that crashes also. As for my third party apps they work without a flaw and don't crash.

My calls into apple were answered with that I needed to return it foe a new one but now I am unsirie seeing how I could end up with problems that are posted here. Talking to AT&T they told me that the one that they have had more problems with are the 16gb white ones (the one I have)

This is ridiculous

I'd restore again if the camera is crashing, and not from a backup. The SMS thing is a known issue with many people. Some aren't even getting tests as they should.

I know you are just relaying what you heard, but I wouldn't take anything an AT&T CSR states about tech at face value. They really don't know anything except either what they were told by another retail employee or the limited scope that their job entails over the past week of iPhone sales.
post #78 of 188
Quote:

I'd restore again if the camera is crashing, and not from a backup. The SMS thing is a known issue with many people. Some aren't even getting tests as they should.

I know you are just relaying what you heard, but I wouldn't take anything an AT&T CSR states about tech at face value. They really don't know anything except either what they were told by another retail employee or the limited scope that their job entails over the past week of iPhone sales.

Hey solipsim,

Some quick observations:

1. The handover from 3G into 2G during a phone call will usually crash the call.
2. Lag time.
3. Seems to run smoother and faster after a phone reboot. Could be a memory leak.
4. WiFI does not seem to be that fast. I am using 24 mbp/s DSL connecting to an Airport Express.
5.MobileMe seems to really work now. I make a call correction and blame it arrives about 1 min later. Same with contacts.

These are just a few. Have you noticed any of these? For the most part, I do not even use WIFI as 3G seems to be faster. I also have 7.2 mbp/s here in Finland so this might be the reason for things seeming faster than on WIFI.
post #79 of 188
I've restored about four time and twice from a non back up. So looks like I'm SOL
post #80 of 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilco View Post

Elite in the sense that they're someone who can afford to spend $199 on a cell phone?

Aim high!

I was thinking the same thing. Elite? Get your priorities straight man. 99% of everyone in these G8 slave nations can't even think without someone on the tele telling them what to do. Looks like you're one of them.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › iPhone 3G and 2.0 affected by buggy software, sensors, wireless