or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › Apple Software › iMac G4 Flat Panel Won't Boot - Help!

iMac G4 Flat Panel Won't Boot - Help!

post #1 of 4
It sits at the apple screen with the spinning disc. I've booted into single user and run fsck -fy and now I have a white block cursor below a line that reads:
** Regairing volume.

It's been like this for over an hour - should it take this long?
post #2 of 4
Does it sound like there is any HD noise coming from the mac?

The way you tried via single user usually doesn't take very long to run through the full process.

The HD itself maybe dying slowly which can cause the issues you are seeing.
post #3 of 4
The HD is definitely running. This morning the message was different it was:
** kernel panic we're hanging here. (or something like that)

I re-booted and am running fsck again - I hope that's the right thing to do. I'm not a Mac person at all - I'm a Novell Network Admin, but it's my daughter's machine and I'm just trying to help.

Any suggestions are appreciated!
post #4 of 4
If you have the Boot CD/DVD which is the system discs which would have came with th emac. Try inserting it at boot time and holding down the C key.

This should force the emac into booting the CD/DVD as it sounds more like something has corrupted in the system itself.

If you get to boot from the CD/DVD run disk utility from it it is in one of menus after it boots it may help to fix the issues.

The last resort would be to do a clean install of the system or better known when an old system is on the HD as an Erase and Install. If this is needed it should fix any issues that disk utility and fsck cannot fix which can sometimes happen.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Apple Software
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › Apple Software › iMac G4 Flat Panel Won't Boot - Help!