or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple releases iPhone 2.0.1 Software Update

Apple releases iPhone 2.0.1 Software Update

post #1 of 159
Apple on Monday evening released iPhone 2.0.1 Software Update, the first maintenance and security update for iPhone 3Gs and first-generation iPhones running iPhone Software 2.0. iPod touch 2.0.1 has also been released.

To download and install the 249.2MB update, connect your iPhone or iPod touch to your Mac or PC and select it in iTunes. Then hit the "Check for Update" button. iTunes will initiate a grueling backup of your existing iPhone's software before installing the the update.

In a scant set of release notes, Apple said iPhone Software 2.0.1 and its iPod equivalent deliver "bug fixes." Readers are encouraged to post their experiences and findings while using the new software in the forums thread for this article.

Some changes

Apple does not always specify the changes it makes in minor software updates. As such, the company leaves users guessing and trying to decipher those changes on their own. Some user-discovered changes in iPhone/iPod 2.0.1 include:

-You can now drag an app icon across multiple pages in one motion, rather than having to drag it, drop it, pick it up again and drag it over to next page, and repeat.
-Contacts are now more responsive.
-After installing 2.0.1, each successive backup is much faster.
-Apple may have changed the calibration of the iPhone's reception "bars" while connected to a 3G network to reflect a stronger signal than before.
-Keypad loads quicker.
-Screen rotation in Safari appears to be smoother.
-Some apps may ask to be updated after the firmware upgrade.

post #2 of 159
Sweet! I've been waiting for an update! I'm hoping this enhances 3G reception and battery life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple on Monday evening released iPhone 2.0.1 Software Update, the first maintenance and security update for iPhone 3Gs and first-generation iPhones running iPhone Software 2.0.

To download and install the software, connect your iPhone to your Mac or PC and select it in iTunes. Then hit the "Check for Update" button. iTunes will initiate a grueling backup of your existing iPhone's software before installing the the new software update.

In a scant set of release notes, Apple said iPhone Software 2.0.1 delivers "bug fixes." Readers are encouraged to post their experiences and findings while using the new software in the forums thread for this article.

post #3 of 159
Great, waiting for pwnage to catch up.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #4 of 159
I checked about 15 minutes ago and was most surprised to find an update available, as I had not seen anything on any sites like this. I didn't know quite how to react; made a thread on MacNN and replied to one here ... thankfully the world isn't far behind .

I'm doing a full restore as I was planning to anyway, and it looks like it's almost done. With luck the 'bug fixes' will speed up performance and help some of the app crashes!
post #5 of 159
Will download and install shortly!
post #6 of 159
About time! Installing right now!
post #7 of 159
242.3 MB download.............

waiting with baited breath
post #8 of 159
Sync problems are fixed. It will backup the first time you sync after the update. The updates after that for me have only synced data in about 15 seconds rather than requiring a backup on every sync before.
post #9 of 159
I hope this fixes the terrible interface lags, the numerous daily crashes, and the numerous bugs.

The new 2.0 OS has built a pretty negative opinion of Apple and its quality in my head. I hope this changes that opinion.
post #10 of 159
The update is out for the iPod Touch as well. Although the first time I ran it, it somehow reinstalled the 2.0 update. I am running it again, I think it is the 2.0.1 update this time.
post #11 of 159
Fingers crossed this tidies up Maps.
i am the beautiful conductor of this orchestra.
post #12 of 159
This thing does nothing.... at least doesn't fix my scrolling issue....
post #13 of 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWhaler View Post

I hope this fixes the terrible interface lags, the numerous daily crashes, and the numerous bugs.

The new 2.0 OS has built a pretty negative opinion of Apple and its quality in my head. I hope this changes that opinion.

Not me; v2 brought a ton of things to the table, not least of which was the ability of hackers to write crummy apps that cause the phone to crash.

Some of these apps are poorly-written, not according to Apple spec, and shouldn't have made it into the App Store. My only complaint about what I think is an incredible device is that Apple Inc. should filter out all the junk apps and keep the iPhone running smoothly.

it'll take more than a monumental update like v2.0 to change my opinion on a great company that produces great software. One only has to look at the other OSes out there to realize how fortunate we Mac users are.
post #14 of 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickBorowitz View Post

This thing does nothing.... at least doesn't fix my scrolling issue....

Anyone figure out what this fixes? I keep playing with it but i'm not sure what it does.... everything seems the same.
post #15 of 159
fixed the lagging keyboard in e-mail and texting on my end. HUGE sigh of relief.
post #16 of 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovehasnologic View Post

fixed the lagging keyboard in e-mail and texting on my end. HUGE sigh of relief.

It did fix the lagging keyboard in email, but seems to have slowed down opening mail and new emails...
post #17 of 159
Quote:

Anyone figure out what this fixes? I keep playing with it but i'm not sure what it does.... everything seems the same.

Right .......2 posts???
post #18 of 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasfxlt View Post

Right .......2 posts???

I don't usually use these forums I'm more avid on mac rumors.
post #19 of 159
does NOT fix non-working sleep/wake button
post #20 of 159
Quote:

Right .......2 posts???

What's you point?
post #21 of 159
Quote:

Yup. 2 posts. Good job! I don't usually use these forums I'm more avid on mac rumors.

Congrats on the use of numbers though, I'm so proud of you!

And you really think Apple puts out useless upgrades?? I'm sure it won't fix everything you expect it to, but I doubt it "isn't any different".

Mine's downloading now. If I develop the same opinion, I'll be the first to admit it. It's not my experience however with Apple.
post #22 of 159
Still can't get my POP e-mail account to work.

Oh, well.
post #23 of 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

What's you point?

We'll see how this progresses and I'll let you know...
post #24 of 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by FriendInMyPants View Post

does NOT fix non-working sleep/wake button

Pretty hard for software to fix a mechanical problem. Call U.S. iPhone technical support: 1-800-MY-IPHONE (1-800-694-7466).
post #25 of 159
Quote:

And you really think Apple puts out useless upgrades?? I'm sure it won't fix everything you expect it to, but I doubt it "isn't any different".

Mine's downloading now. If I develop the same opinion, I'll be the first to admit it. It's not my experience however with Apple.

I've been playing with it and as I was opening a new email window my phone went black. Just shut off. I had to hold both buttons in until I got to the apple and now i am 5 minutes into the apple with nothing happening.

Ever since 2.0 came out my phone has been useless.

Update: as I was typing the phone came back on, took about 6 minutes.
post #26 of 159
Do they post changelogs for anything?

Or does anyone have link(s) to articles identifying the specific changes? Or are we just supposed to hope and see if we believe certain things have been fixed or not based on our own experience.

Because my phone periodically crashes, no apps will run and my iPod music collection appears zero'ed out. I have to use restore, or reset all settings and resync, and then I get another couple days out of it. But it's unstable as hell, and it's weird that it corrupts the iPod database internally too, out of all things...
post #27 of 159
Ok, it is up and running. Seems stable so far, and snappier (brief test with SMS typing).
post #28 of 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrunchinJelly View Post

Still can't get my POP e-mail account to work.

Oh, well.

I think some people expect software updates to be a brain transplant.

Sometimes the problem is not with the device...
post #29 of 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike503 View Post

Do they post changelogs for anything?

Or does anyone have link(s) to articles identifying the specific changes? Or are we just supposed to hope and see if we believe certain things have been fixed or not based on our own experience.

Because my phone periodically crashes, no apps will run and my iPod music collection appears zero'ed out. I have to use restore, or reset all settings and resync, and then I get another couple days out of it. But it's unstable as hell, and it's weird that it corrupts the iPod database internally too, out of all things...

Typically, the documentation on fixes is compiled by people on sites like this. I've had many of the same problems, most of which I attribute to apps and memory issues. Apple will get things cleaned up (probably not all in this release). Developers are creating many of the problems and Apple is supposed to be keeping them off of the device by having the App Store. It's an interesting experiment.
post #30 of 159
few things I can notice immediately are the reception bars have gained a bar or two and now it's more responsive to my fingers for sure than 2.0.
always a newbie
always a newbie
post #31 of 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by bitemymac View Post

few things I can notice immediately are the reception bars have gained a bar or two and now it's more responsive to my fingers for sure than 2.0.

I feel obliged to say that in my brief testing, it certainly feels SnappierĀ©.
post #32 of 159
It is snappier for sure.

2.1 should really get things moving.
post #33 of 159
i defintely noticed another bar too1 at first, now its gone. but theres less lag.

PS im on hold, prolly forever, with tech support about my non-working sleep button. im 99.9% sure ill have to return it. damnit. damnit. son of a bitch.
post #34 of 159
Still, when I was playing Texas Hold'em, its impossible to write SMS after that for example. So no fix for that problem.
----
look Mum, no Hands!
----
look Mum, no Hands!
post #35 of 159
Software AND firmware update....

I'm hoping for battery life improvements and changes to how push services impact power consumption.
post #36 of 159
No cut & paste ..... still no way to add invitees to calendar appointments in calendar with exchange....
post #37 of 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolfactor View Post

I think some people expect software updates to be a brain transplant.

Sometimes the problem is not with the device...

Is this supposed to be clever, Mr Cool Factor?

I have owned countless mobile phones and have not had a problem connecting to my POP e-mail with any. Along comes the iPhone and it won't connect at all.

This is not and end user problem, it's a problem with the way the iPhone handles Mail.

No need to be so hostile.
post #38 of 159
Alright, mine's finally finished. The first thing I did was go to the phone features. Contact performance was abysmal and the lag loading the keypad was aggravating as hell. Both of these things have been fixed and the iPhone behaves as it did before 2.0. Thank you. We are now back at 1st base.

iPod lags are much improved as well.

Email loads appear to be quicker.

I'll mess with the apps for a few hours and see how stable Safari is. I would say that is the largest issue next to the phone and address book performance. Lots of crashes with 2.0

Correction....

lags are BETTER than improved. Browsing names in the address book, switching between the keypad, addressbook, voicemail is instantaneous. Thank God!
post #39 of 159
To refute one of the 'fixes': you could drag icons across multiple pages before, although it meant you had to stop at the edge of the next page to get it to flip to the page beyond. I'm hoping it's a little more intuitive now.
post #40 of 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrunchinJelly View Post

Is this supposed to be clever, Mr Cool Factor?

I have owned countless mobile phones and have not had a problem connecting to my POP e-mail with any. Along comes the iPhone and it won't connect at all.

This is not and end user problem, it's a problem with the way the iPhone handles Mail.

No need to be so hostile.

Dude,

I had this a while back. Delete your email accounts and set them up manually. Do not sync them from iTunes. Try this and see if it works.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple releases iPhone 2.0.1 Software Update