or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › Steve Jobs confesses to poorly planned MobileMe launch

Steve Jobs confesses to poorly planned MobileMe launch

post #1 of 76
Apple chief executive Steve Jobs is admitting that his firm bit off more than it could chew with last month's simultaneous product launches, which resulted in a MobileMe Internet service that was pushed out prematurely "and not up to Apple's standards."

In an email to employees on the matter Monday, seen by ArsTechnica, Jobs fessed up to launching MobileMe without adequate testing and offered suggestions on what could have been done differently. Instead of launching the "monolithic service" all at once, Apple could have rolled it out in pieces, first launching over-the-air iPhone syncing and then introducing each new web app one at a time, he said.

"It was a mistake to launch MobileMe at the same time as iPhone 3G, iPhone 2.0 software and the App Store," Jobs said. "We all had more than enough to do, and MobileMe could have been delayed without consequence."

The Apple co-founder also announced changes to the company's management structure that will see Eddy Cue, formally vice president of iTunes, oversee all Internet-related services, including the iTunes, the App Store, and Mobile Me. Cue will now report directly to Jobs.

"The MobileMe launch clearly demonstrates that we have more to learn about Internet services," Jobs told employees. "And learn we will. The vision of MobileMe is both exciting and ambitious, and we will press on to make it a service we are all proud of by the end of this year."

MobileMe has been plagued by a variety of issues since launching on the eve of July 10th. Even after axing some planned features, Apple struggled for days to get its new suite of Web apps up in working order.

Those issues were later compounded by intermittent line problems, syncing bugs that remotely cleared the contact lists on iPhones, and a mail server crash that left some subscribers locked out of their email accounts for over a week.

On July 16, Apple apologized for its MobileMe missteps by offering subscribers a free 30-day extension on their yearly subscriptions to the service.
post #2 of 76
Staggered launches are always smoother.
post #3 of 76
In my view the sign of a great company (or other kind of organization or person) is not in the always perfect execution but in how they respond when things go poorly.

This memo is an example of a company handling things well and trying to determine how to avoid such troubles again in the future.

Ironically, this screw up is likely to make Apple stronger in the future rather than weaker.
post #4 of 76
The service has sucked since it's inception with iTools 8 years ago.

This is what happens when Steve is not passionate about one of Apple's products. He should have hired someone passionate about web services and let them run with it.

I keep paying for it like an idiot because he keeps saying how wonderful it's going to be.
post #5 of 76
And this is why Apple is a better computer company; when they know they effed something up they say so. There are big men running that modest company. I'm still waiting for the apology letter from a certain software company over a certain operating system that didn't even meet their own iffy standards for quality.

*goes to stand by the mailbox*
"Picasso had a saying, 'Good artists copy, great artists steal.' And we've always been shameless about stealing great ideas."
"Picasso had a saying, 'Good artists copy, great artists steal.' And we've always been shameless about stealing great ideas."
post #6 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

This is what happens when Steve is not passionate about one of Apple's products. He should have hired someone passionate about web services and let them run with it.

I keep paying for it like an idiot because he keeps saying how wonderful it's going to be.

I agree. Although I never paid for it. I never understood how people were using such a tiny amount of space for backup. The services are good for a certain kind of user who doesn't want to know how ANYTHING works --- like one-click publishing with iWeb.

I steer some people toward hosts like Bluehost - but then you face a different set of problems. Like they decide what disk use is acceptable. Putting all your music on their server? Probably not acceptable. It makes their claims of inlimited storage space and bandwidth far less useful.

But I think you nailed it on the head, Apple has never seemed passionate about .Mac. And Mobile Me doesn't get me any more excited. If they had partnered with Google on something I'd be paying more attention.
Emailing video from iPhone to Apple TV , sort of..
Emailing video from iPhone to Apple TV , sort of..
post #7 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Cuilla View Post

In my view the sign of a great company (or other kind of organization or person) is not in the always perfect execution but in how they respond when things go poorly.

So given that Apple "rarely" fess-up. You must think they aren't great, by any stretch of the imagination. Jobs only fessed up because he knew the secret approach wouldn't work this time. It's not Apple that needs to learn, it's Jobs.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #8 of 76
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by walshbj

But I think you nailed it on the head, Apple has never seemed passionate about .Mac. And Mobile Me doesn't get me any more excited. If they had partnered with Google on something I'd be paying more attention.

Now that would be interesting Bren.
post #9 of 76
As everybody knows, MobileMe (and iPhone 2.0) is full of bugs:
- no Internet Explorer support (They have to hire Tantek Celik!)
- no sync of a Mac address book with parent groups
- no push
- lost of emails
- and in fact no 'Cancel Account' button as defined by the support !

Yesterday, Apple refused to accept my regular cancellation pretexting that I paid with my Visa on the Apple Store and not directly on MobileMe...
With all the iPhone 2.0 and MobileMe bugs/problems, is Apple forgetting the first rule of business : "Without customers, you do no have a business! You just have a hobby..."
For MobileMe, I paid the price defined by Apple. I deserve to be respected, especially if I'm not satisfied
Regards,

PS My cancellation was made within 45 days of being charged for my subscription.
20/06/2008:I pre-order on Apple Store, 14/07/2007: I have been charged and 27/07/2008: I cancelled
post #10 of 76
Quote:

Couldn't agree more. And, Yup, ditto here. I too am paying for this inferior service, and worse, I barely use it. Judging from Jobs own admission, the service won't be ready for any mission critical applications for at least a year.

What they should do is to give it away for for free (call it Beta if they must), but be up front that they will start charging once they are hundred percent happy with the service. (Hand it over to someone who truly 'gets it' and who is passionate about it. That way they will hook in more people and more importantly, not be blamed for selling an obviously flawed product as a premier service.
post #11 of 76
Quote:

This memo is an example of a company handling things well and trying to determine how to avoid such troubles again in the future.

Ironically, this screw up is likely to make Apple stronger in the future rather than weaker.

You've got to be kidding me. Why am I not surprised to see this kind of pro-Apple post here. AppleInsider has the most loyal Apple fans posting, doesn't it.

I wish they could fess up on certain hardware issues...
post #12 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca Larobiade View Post

As everybody knows, MobileMe (and iPhone 2.0) is full of bugs:
- no Internet Explorer support (They have to hire Tantek Celik!)

That's not a bug. MobileMe relies on open standards, which Microsoft still hasn't adhered to in Internet Explorer.

Quote:

- no push

As far as I understand it, there is push between MobileMe and the iPhone/iPod touch. They simply need to work out how to get push on the Mail desktop client, which is possible. It likely won't be "real" push - they'll simply set a short time interval for checking mail - but "real" push that fetches the mail when it's there, rather than checking on a time interval whether new mail is there or not, is likely in Snow Leopard as they're natively supporting Exchange's push email.

Quote:

- and in fact no 'Cancel Account' button as defined by the support !

Don't know exactly what you mean, but it doesn't sound like a software bug. Are you saying you couldn't find where to cancel your account? Did you go to the Account section and click on the Account Options section, where it has a button labeled Cancel Account?

Quote:

With all the iPhone 2.0 and MobileMe bugs/problems, is Apple forgetting the first rule of business : "Without customers, you do no have a business! You just have a hobby..."
For MobileMe, I paid the price defined by Apple. I deserve to be respected, especially if I'm not satisfied.

Er...did you actually read the article? Jobs himself just admitted that mistakes were made and that they need to improve in the internet services area.
False comparisons do not a valid argument make.
post #13 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

So given that Apple "rarely" fess-up. You must think they aren't great, by any stretch of the imagination. Jobs only fessed up because he knew the secret approach wouldn't work this time. It's not Apple that needs to learn, it's Jobs.

+++

I don't hate Steve Jobs, but I don't love him either.

The man can do some things extraordinarily well, and some things he doesn't seem capable of doing to save his life. I will hand him that he knows how to make money. But his tactics are often right down there in the slime with those employed by Bill Gates.

I both look forward to and dread an Apple without Steve Jobs. He has been very good for Apple in the past, but the fact is that the times are changing rapidly in computers and I often times feel that Steve is not keeping up very well.

It is a sad day when I look at Microsoft as being more open and transparent than Apple. Don't get me wrong, I still love using the Mac OS much better than Windows, but while Microsoft is moving towards more open software and disclosure Apple is barring the gates and defending the walls of their garden.

Unfortunately, people are getting sick of being left in the dark and being locked into proprietary formats.
post #14 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I think you are mistaking this internal memo for a public memo. Just because you haven't heard about more of these floating around inside the company doesn't mean they weren't issued.
post #15 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by dattyx26 View Post

You've got to be kidding me. Why am I not surprised to see this kind of pro-Apple post here. AppleInsider has the most loyal Apple fans posting, doesn't it.

I wish they could fess up on certain hardware issues...

Actually, Apple has been continuously hammered in these forums for the a) crappy and incompetent launch, and b) for the crappy and incompetent way they communicated their woes to their loyal fans.

I think the message you are responding to is pretty much out of left field. AppleInsiders may be loyal but not totally blinkered, generally speaking. You won't be called a traitor for being critical in my experience.
post #16 of 76
MobileMe is a disaster, and unworthy of Apple (I have a subscription). I have basically stopped using it, at least for a while (and migrated things I need on an ongoing basis to Google).

I could fuss around and try to get pro-rated refunds and such from Apple, but it's not worth the hassle (see a post above from someone who tried).

I'll get rid of my account when it expires this December.
---
Btw, does anyone know if one gets to keep the mac.com address (for things such as iTunes account access) or does it disappear if someone else picks the name? Thanks.
---
post #17 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

What they should do is to give it away for for free (call it Beta if they must)

What Apple did was jump into a field of service they knew nothing about and tried to rebirth it with their own vision of how web services should be.

What they should have done was partner with Google the way they partnered with AT&T and Intel.
post #18 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by wobegon View Post

Er...did you actually read the article? Jobs himself just admitted that mistakes were made and that they need to improve in the internet services area.

Give me a break with the attitude! The guy tried getting a refund and Apple refused.

If Best Buy or Sears did it to you, you'd probably be all over them.
post #19 of 76
I guess its cool that Jobs himself brought this to light instead of having someone lower one food chain come out and take the hit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleinsider vBulletin Message

You have been banned for the following reason:
Three personal attacks in one post. Congratulations.
Date the ban will be lifted:...
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleinsider vBulletin Message

You have been banned for the following reason:
Three personal attacks in one post. Congratulations.
Date the ban will be lifted:...
post #20 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by mknopp View Post

+++

I don't hate Steve Jobs, but I don't love him either.

The man can do some things extraordinarily well, and some things he doesn't seem capable of doing to save his life. I will hand him that he knows how to make money. But his tactics are often right down there in the slime with those employed by Bill Gates.

Examples?
Quote:

I both look forward to and dread an Apple without Steve Jobs. He has been very good for Apple in the past, but the fact is that the times are changing rapidly in computers and I often times feel that Steve is not keeping up very well.

Examples?
Quote:

It is a sad day when I look at Microsoft as being more open and transparent than Apple. Don't get me wrong, I still love using the Mac OS much better than Windows, but while Microsoft is moving towards more open software and disclosure Apple is barring the gates and defending the walls of their garden.

Unfortunately, people are getting sick of being left in the dark and being locked into proprietary formats.

Let's see, most of Mac OS X is open: Unix, Mach/BSD, Darwin. Windows is closed. What formats does Apple promote? The open, industry standard AAC and MP3 formats for music, and the open, industry standard MPEG-4 H.264 format for video. Microsoft pushes their closed, proprietary WMA and WMV formats for audio and video, respectively. MobileMe leverages the open SproutCore. Safari is an open, standards-compliant web browser. Internet Explorer is closed. Apple bundles in things like the X windows environment and Apache and use the open CalDAV.

Care to clarify?
post #21 of 76
Quote:

What Apple did was jump into a field of service they knew nothing about and tried to rebirth it with their own vision of how web services should be.

What they should have done was partner with Google the way they partnered with AT&T and Intel.

Excellent suggestion! Apple should listen.
post #22 of 76
Quote:

That's not a bug. MobileMe relies on open standards, which Microsoft still hasn't adhered to in Internet Explorer....

Just so you know ... Luca is a troll that has been posting on this forum lately under variety of names.

It's really not worth the time to respond to his nonsensical remarks. Let's all ignore him and hope he goes away or grows up or whatever.
In Windows, a window can be a document, it can be an application, or it can be a window that contains other documents or applications. Theres just no consistency. Its just a big grab bag of monkey...
In Windows, a window can be a document, it can be an application, or it can be a window that contains other documents or applications. Theres just no consistency. Its just a big grab bag of monkey...
post #23 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Give me a break with the attitude!

I don't know how to give you a break with my attitude. Want some fries with that shake?

Who are you, John Stossel or a Kit Kat salesman?

Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

The guy tried getting a refund and Apple refused.

If Best Buy or Sears did it to you, you'd probably be all over them.

I got that. If you read my post, I wasn't responding to that part of his comment.
post #24 of 76
Quote:

That's not a bug. MobileMe relies on open standards, which Microsoft still hasn't adhered to in Internet Explorer.

I'm sorry but in the PC world, IE is a de facto standard and Apple promised to be IE compatible!

As far as I understand it, there is push between MobileMe and the iPhone/iPod touch. They simply need to work out how to get push on the Mail desktop client, which is possible. It likely won't be "real" push - they'll simply set a short time interval for checking mail - but "real" push that fetches the mail when it's there, rather than checking on a time interval whether new mail is there or not, is likely in Snow Leopard as they're natively supporting Exchange's push email.

Don't know exactly what you mean, but it doesn't sound like a software bug. Are you saying you couldn't find where to cancel your account? Did you go to the Account section and click on the Account Options section, where it has a button labeled Cancel Account?

Available for you GREAT! Not available for me --> a bug as I said!

Then why did Apple refused to cancel my subscription with such an argument/pretext. Isn't it dishonest?
You know I'm a very old Mac fan (in 1984, I bought the 4th Mac in Belgium). That's why I'm expecting more respect from Apple! Making your old fan angry, isn't crazy?
post #25 of 76
Quote:

Considering how long .Mac has been around and all the iWeb websites that use .Mac/MobileMe, I'd say they're alright. Then factor in the iTunes Store and you've got a very competent company in the internet area. Obviously, their major mistakes here were trying to launch everything at once and rushing out the ambitious MobileMe service, when they should have rolled it out in pieces, as Jobs noted, with better quality control. MobileMe is hardly a reinventing of the wheel.

Google has their own ad-supported email client and services to worry about, so it's unlikely they'd help one of their big competitors. With that said, I'm a long time gmail user (started back when you had to get an invite to join) and while I love its Conversation layout, it's still not perfect. For example, for the longest time their Chat service wasn't even Mac compatible. I've played around with their online office software and tried exporting text documents and excel files to PDF, which has resulted in massive +20MB PDF files.
post #26 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

Just so you know ... Luca is a troll that has been posting on this forum lately under variety of names.

It's really not worth the time to respond to his nonsensical remarks. Let's all ignore him and hope he goes away or grows up or whatever.

I agree!

And to all the naysayers:

Must be nice to be perfect!
I bet you took the garbage out every week without your mom (or wife) having to tell you.
You probably cut the grass at the same time.
Hell, I bet you called home to tell her every time that you would be late for dinner.
Or better yet, you were the only guy that called home to let your mom know were your where going so she wouldn't get worried about what you were up to at 2 in the morning.

But hey, you know better than all the experts. Heck some of you have never bought or used the service, some don't even have an iPhone, and better yet you are the same bunch of Jobs, Apple and Mac dissers that constantly troll this site.

With an approval rating hovering around the 90% satisfied level from people that actually have an iPhone and being acknowledged for having the best support/service in the industry, it is hard to accept that Apple and Steve Jobs aren't in the loop, aren't working to make things better or are so dysfunctional because they are not kowtowing to your personal demands.
post #27 of 76
Quote:

I'm sorry but in the PC world, IE is a de facto standard and Apple promised to be IE compatible!

Haha, when did they promise that MobileMe would work in Internet Explorer? I have the entire video podcast of their WWDC '08 press conference.

In the "PC world" you can use Internet Explorer to download a standards-compliant browser like Firefox or Safari.
post #28 of 76
Quote:

Haha, when did they promise that MobileMe would work in Internet Explorer? I have the entire video podcast of their WWDC '08 press conference.

The IE icon is on the MobileMe site! http://www.apple.com/mobileme/features/pc.html It's call "lying advertising"!

In the "PC world" you can use Internet Explorer to download a standards-compliant browser like Firefox or Safari.

In many companies, you're not allowed to install another browser than IE!
post #29 of 76
Quote:

A great company would have publicly stated this a few days after the fact not pass it along in a employees only communication weeks after the problem encountered.

-kpluck

Do you use MagicJack?

The default settings will automatically charge your credit card each year for service renewal. You will not be notified or warned in anyway. You can turn auto renewal off.

Do you use MagicJack?

The default settings will automatically charge your credit card each year for service renewal. You will not be notified or warned in anyway. You can turn auto renewal off.

post #30 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecking View Post

I guess its cool that Jobs himself brought this to light instead of having someone lower one food chain come out and take the hit.

We can count on spirited debate whenever Steve does a mea culpa along the poles of a) Apple is great because they actually apologize -- thru the oracle personally -- for some of their missteps and even more rarely attempt restitution ($100 iPhone rebates, anyone?) -- the Apple is great even when they're clearly screwed the pooch camp and b) Apple doesn't admit enough of their mistakes, the thing is more messed up than they're saying and they're not doing enough.

And on people in those two camps sniping at each other.

But this article also illustrates that AI treads (in my opinion) overly lightly into these stories. In this story we learn that there have been management changes and that one Eddie Cue (who did not, one assumes invent the ill-fated Cue Cat) is now overseeing much more than he used to.

Using all we know about the temperament of SJ and the history of Apple, what's been likely going on in Cupertino has not all been been gentle, "there, there, we all make mistakes" and group hugs -- rather while Mr. Cue has been moved closer to center stage, a number of others have probably exited the stage altogether, or at least lost their co-starring roles and likely abruptly against a backdrop of at least one raised voice (guess whose).

So since it was never going to be Steve who paid the career price for this fiasco, and Eddie who rose, who fell? How many heads rolled? How much has been re-orged and how much of Appe Inc's "corporate passion" is now going to be directed at the still narcissistic-sounding MobileMeMeMe product line?

An iPhone, a Leatherman and thou...  ...life is complete.

An iPhone, a Leatherman and thou...  ...life is complete.

post #31 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpluck View Post

A great company would have publicly stated this a few days after the fact not pass it along in a employees only communication weeks after the problem encountered.

-kpluck

Name one that wasn't a death threat like the Tylenol poisoning or any from the list of safety recalls here: http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prerel.html or http://www.fda.gov/opacom/7alerts.html

How many called to tell you? Or anybody else.
post #32 of 76
To me, even moreso that the bugs and other issues, the biggest lesson learned is to be very cautious about jumping in with any service that offers online applications. You are at the complete mercy of the company operating the service if they decide to "upgrade" the service and make it incompatible with previously acceptable client-side technology (in this case, the web browser).

My #1 reason for getting .mac 3 months ago was to have access to my contacts and calendar from work, where we are "stuck" with IE6 (not uncommon in large companies with lots of custom applications). Apple should have had a transition period where both .mac and MobileMe were available at the option of the user. Imagine if Adobe forced an upgrade to Photoshop on you and it required a faster computer than you have or it wouldn't run at all. You'd be pretty upset about wasting your money on a product you now couldn't use.

Oh well...lesson learned...
post #33 of 76
Quote:

The IE icon is on the MobileMe site! http://www.apple.com/mobileme/features/pc.html It's call "lying advertising"!

Might want to actually read the text that's right next to the pictures:

On a PC, MobileMe works with the applications you use every day. You can use Outlook, Outlook Express, and Windows Contacts in Windows XP or Vista. MobileMe keeps your email, contacts, and calendars — and even your Internet Explorer or Safari bookmarks — in sync with your other computers, iPhone, and iPod touch.

As you may notice, the pictures above that show MobileMe running on Windows...in Firefox.

Quote:

In many companies, you're not allowed to install another browser than IE!

Many companies who block the downloading of alternate browsers are also against and/or block personal email sites like MobileMe, Yahoo, and Gmail.
post #34 of 76
As of today, I'm still unable to receive comments on my blog. All I get is, "We're sorry. We are having a problem processing your request." Hopefully they will fix this soon, or is my blog an isolated incident? Other people here with blogs, please let me know if this is happening to you as well.

Thanks in advance.
post #35 of 76
Quote:

Examples?

Okay, comparing him to Bill Gates was a stretch.

Quote:

Examples?

The computer industry as a whole is moving towards less expensive computers with generally lesser hardware requirements. Not all parts of it, but a growing percentage. Yet, Apple has done little of nothing to compete with in these growing markets. It is my hope that this might be part of the lower margins comment.

Yeah, the move to consumer products was a very intelligent one, but along with this move there seems to be a growing disconnect with their computer base. Again, referencing the lower cost computers.

There is also the move to get smaller, not just thinner, which Apple missed. Where is Apple's entrance into the booming Netbook market, or the fable iTablet to fill the niche between the iPod Touch (which isn't really an iPod at all) and the MacBook?

They were on the forefront of the growing all-in-one movement, but I have seen little sign that they are going to do more than rest on their laurels in that department. While their competitors are offering more hardware extras (TV cards, etc.) for about the same price.

Where in the heck is the "X Mac" that people have been clamoring for for years now? In the remaining traditional PC market those that have a smaller less expensive workstation can grab a large portion of the market share. The Mac Pro is nice, but as with many other Apple computers is many times too much hardware for too much money.

And I know that I am probably going to get people saying that Apple has never been about the mass market. That they serve the upper echelon or something to that kin. I have heard them before and I still don't think that they are valid excuses for Apple's diminishing role in the emerging computer markets.

Quote:

Let's see, most of Mac OS X is open: Unix, Mach/BSD, Darwin. Windows is closed. What formats does Apple promote? The open, industry standard AAC and MP3 formats for music, and the open, industry standard MPEG-4 H.264 format for video. Microsoft pushes their closed, proprietary WMA and WMV formats for audio and video, respectively. MobileMe leverages the open SproutCore. Safari is an open, standards-compliant web browser. Internet Explorer is closed. Apple bundles in things like the X windows environment and Apache and use the open CalDAV.

Care to clarify?

Yes, much of their OS is open, and they are using many industry standard formats for music and video. But there is a lot of room for improvement.

iPhoto stores the rankings and keywords in a database instead of in the tags for the picture as is the standard. This also irks me since it means that if anything should go wrong with the monolithic database (Which we all know from messing with Window's registry would never happen right?) then I have lost all of the time put into those. And for what reason? So it is more difficult to move my photos to another photo management program? A form or lock in?

iWorks, especially the newly expanded Numbers. Why in the love of all that is holy did Apple think we needed yet another proprietary spreadsheet format? I truly wish that they would join up with the OpenOffice movement and incorporate the best of their iWorks with the OpenDocument standard format. Or if you don't like Sun being in charge then branch it off and make their own program to work with OpenDocument. Last time I checked I couldn't even open an open document formatted file in iWorks. Even Micorosft Office can open open document formatted files now. Yet Apple seems to want to lock us into yet another proprietary file format.

Then beyond just open source software and formats, I was also referring to the openness of the company as a whole.

Why are they so secretive about security? Why force two presenters on security to drop out of presentations? Maybe they have a good reason, but they sure aren't sharing.

What was in that last update that I downloaded? Apple isn't going to say. It was just "fixes for stability and improved functionality". What the heck? Even Microsoft with their daily updates is more open about what they are doing.

The Mac is less susceptible to viruses and other security nastiest, it is not immune and this closed lip stance that Apple has taken on security reminds me of Microsoft of a few years back. Security issues? What security issues? We don't talk about security issues.

If they want to be closed about their new products, fine. That is just smart business, but when it comes to something like computer security, which affects us all they need to be more open.

Is that what you were looking for?
post #36 of 76
This group is so fun......I can't tell the old children from the young children.
post #37 of 76
While Apple is fixing its mistakes and bugs, now would be a good time to restore customer goodwill by reinstating terminated services that DID work.

BRING BACK APPLE iCARDS!

http://homepage.mac.com/mac.zooks/.Pictures/bryn.png

Petitions:

http://www.PetitionOnline.com/06291970/petition.html

http://www.petitiononline.com/ic110608/petition.html

Adding a MobileMe category to Apple's feedback page would be a nice touch, too, by the way.
post #38 of 76
Quote:

Might want to actually read the text that's right next to the pictures:

On a PC, MobileMe works with the applications you use every day. You can use Outlook, Outlook Express, and Windows Contacts in Windows XP or Vista. MobileMe keeps your email, contacts, and calendars — and even your Internet Explorer or Safari bookmarks — in sync with your other computers, iPhone, and iPod touch.

As you may notice, the pictures above that show MobileMe running on Windows...in Firefox.

Stay cool! Why then the IE icon?

As I previously said I'm a very old Mac fan, since 1984, you remember the famous TV spot...

Many companies who block the downloading of alternate browsers are also against and/or block personal email sites like MobileMe, Yahoo, and Gmail.

Sorry but it's really NOT my experience!
post #39 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacSmiley View Post

While Apple is fixing its mistakes and bugs, now would be a good time to restore customer goodwill by reinstating terminated services that DID work.

Gawd. Forget about those things. What Apple needs to add is alarms for the calendar app, so one's iPhone goes 'beep', an icon for Bookmarks, and then just fix the damn syncing lag.
post #40 of 76
Quote:

Stay cool! Why then the IE icon?

I'm just fine thanks. If you read either the text next to the IE picture on the page you linked to, which I copied and bolded in my response, you'd understand why the IE icon is displayed.

MobileMe keeps a Windows user's Internet Explorer bookmarks synced between multiple computers, iPhone, and iPod touch.
Quote:

Sorry but it's really NOT my experience!

Well then, if the business you're purportedly working for is cool with you checking your personal email on company time, then they should have no problem with you downloading a standards-compliant web browser so you can check your MobileMe mail. Is that your job, checking your personal email? Must be nice. You should be grateful, most people aren't so fortunate.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac Software
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › Steve Jobs confesses to poorly planned MobileMe launch