or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple poised for special event this September
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple poised for special event this September - Page 8

post #281 of 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

There's no real limit to the resolution or scan speed of VGA. It's just a matter of a faster board. The "standard" isn't limited with analog as it must be with digital.

Well I learned some things today. Thanks.
False comparisons do not a valid argument make.
Reply
False comparisons do not a valid argument make.
Reply
post #282 of 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

There's no real limit to the resolution or scan speed of VGA. It's just a matter of a faster board. The "standard" isn't limited with analog as it must be with digital.

True. But I don't think I've ever seen a video card that advertised more than that.
post #283 of 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by wobegon View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobBIT

The speakers are not mounted under the keyboard. They are mounted at the backside of the unit on either end for maximum stereo spacing, pointing away from the user. Since the screen folds behind the backside and is at an upward angle, the speakers' sound is effectively reflected back to the user via the screen. Rather clever.

Ok, well that is rather clever. But its reflected sound probably isn't better than the more direct speakers on today's MacBook, Air, and Pro (or 15" or 17" PowerBook G4).

Only the 15" and 17" MacBook Pro have "more direct" speakers; the MacBook and MacBook Air speakers work in the same way as the 12" PowerBook speakers as described by hobBIT above.
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
Reply
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
Reply
post #284 of 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

Only the 15" and 17" MacBook Pro have "more direct" speakers; the MacBook and MacBook Air speakers work in the same way as the 12" PowerBook speakers as described by hobBIT above.

The 15" and 17" aluminum PowerBook G4s also have "more direct" speakers and the Air's speaker is located under the keyboard. Whether the Air's mono speaker sounds better than the 12" PowerBook's backward-facing speaker(s) that use reflected sound is debatable though. I thought the MacBook's speakers were mounted under the keyboard as well, but I now see I was mistaken.
False comparisons do not a valid argument make.
Reply
False comparisons do not a valid argument make.
Reply
post #285 of 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by wobegon View Post

The 15" and 17" aluminum PowerBook G4s also have "more direct" speakers

Sure, but that goes without saying because as discussed in the first several pages of this thread, the MacBook Pro form-factor is the same as the aluminium PowerBook G4's

Quote:
Originally Posted by wobegon View Post

and the Air's speaker is located under the keyboard.

Ah yes. Sorry, my bad.
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
Reply
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
Reply
post #286 of 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

True. But I don't think I've ever seen a video card that advertised more than that.

Not consumer cards.

But as digital took over, and analog began to die out, there was no reason to do it.

Analog cards are vastly more expensive than digital cards. The technology of analog requires higher and higher spec parts to get to higher frequencies. Those parts are usually not even available, and when they are, they are incredibly expensive, and difficult to implement, because of power, and other constraints. I know, because I've tried to do this myself in my old business. It becomes self defeating.

Digital has the advantage of moving to higher specs whenever the process technology moves down another increment. This allows power requirements to remain about the same. You can't use process size to do that with analog. You need new material technology, and even bigger parts. Those days are over.

It's like my previous industry, that I still involve myself in, which is pro and high end audio.

I have two digital amps that I use for my subwoofers. These are over 1200 watts per channel at 4 ohms. They weigh a bit over 9 pounds per channel. My analog stereo power amp for my ribbons is about 300 watts per channel, and weighs 45 pounds.

In order to do that in analog requires an amp that weighs a good 75 pounds at the minimum, for continuous power, and often more for really good reliability. Because of that they also cost much more.

The efficiency of my amps is about 79%, whereas the efficiency of the analog (solid state) amp would be, at best, 25%, but usually less. Tubes would be about 10%.

That's why we don't see analog cards doing 2560 x 1600 in the consumer space, or even in the pro space anymore, though they used to be used in the medical, weather, and military areas.
post #287 of 312
This is probably an inane question, but how sure is everyone that the new MacBooks are maybe/probably/possibly coming out in Sept.? I need to get 2 new MacBooks for my twin 18 year-old boys heading off to college in a few days. The "special offer" (free iPod Touch with each purchase) expires 9/15, but I don't mind waiting until after that date if the new laptops are coming out soon after.

Like everyone else, I'd hate to buy 2 laptops this week if new ones are coming out within the month...

Signed,
Just Curious
post #288 of 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerith View Post

This is probably an inane question, but how sure is everyone that the new MacBooks are maybe/probably/possibly coming out in Sept.? I need to get 2 new MacBooks for my twin 18 year-old boys heading off to college in a few days. The "special offer" (free iPod Touch with each purchase) expires 9/15, but I don't mind waiting until after that date if the new laptops are coming out soon after.

Like everyone else, I'd hate to buy 2 laptops this week if new ones are coming out within the month...

Signed,
Just Curious

We're not sure. We're going by past experience (Intel's new chips, shots of new cases, etc), and also because some in the industry think that Apple will have an event in September which will feature newer laptops.
post #289 of 312
Sep 2nd is two weeks away, where is the apple event announcement? next week?

it will be interesting when intel releases Quad Core mobile CPUs tomorrow @ IDF .

Nov '09 | iMac 21.5" C2D 3.06 Ghz | Intel 330 240GB SSD | ATI

Sep '12| Toshiba 14" 1366 x 768! | i5 3rd Gen 6GB| Intel x25-m 120GB SSD | Win 7|  Viewsonic VX2255wmb 22" LCD
iPhone 4S| iPad 2 wifi

Reply

Nov '09 | iMac 21.5" C2D 3.06 Ghz | Intel 330 240GB SSD | ATI

Sep '12| Toshiba 14" 1366 x 768! | i5 3rd Gen 6GB| Intel x25-m 120GB SSD | Win 7|  Viewsonic VX2255wmb 22" LCD
iPhone 4S| iPad 2 wifi

Reply
post #290 of 312
I just received an Apple Store email which reads:
"Which Mac are you?
Choose one by September 15 and get a free iPod"

Does that mean Apple will still be getting rid of older Macs and, therefore, won't be displaying new models until after September 15?
ADS
Reply
ADS
Reply
post #291 of 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by sequitur View Post

I just received an Apple Store email which reads:
"Which Mac are you?
Choose one by September 15 and get a free iPod"

Does that mean Apple will still be getting rid of older Macs and, therefore, won't be displaying new models until after September 15?

Sounds logical.
post #292 of 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerith View Post

This is probably an inane question, but how sure is everyone that the new MacBooks are maybe/probably/possibly coming out in Sept.? I need to get 2 new MacBooks for my twin 18 year-old boys heading off to college in a few days. The "special offer" (free iPod Touch with each purchase) expires 9/15, but I don't mind waiting until after that date if the new laptops are coming out soon after.

Like everyone else, I'd hate to buy 2 laptops this week if new ones are coming out within the month...

Signed,
Just Curious

Check out my prediction earlier in this thread HERE. New MacBook Pros (and maybe MacBooks as well) are likely to be announced September 16th at the latest alongside updated iPods. Definitely wait!
False comparisons do not a valid argument make.
Reply
False comparisons do not a valid argument make.
Reply
post #293 of 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by wobegon View Post

Check out my prediction earlier in this thread HERE. New MacBook Pros (and maybe MacBooks as well) are likely to be announced September 16th at the latest alongside updated iPods. Definitely wait!

You sold me - I'll wait!
post #294 of 312
According to this it's the last weeks of September:

http://hardware.slashdot.org/article...92236&from=rss
post #295 of 312
I dont know if it will come out soon or at all. all i can say is im tired of loading up the apple home page and seeing that oh so taunting iphone commercial every day. it is as if it is there only to say HAHA! you dont get a new computer !!........makes me sad\
post #296 of 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerith View Post

Like everyone else, I'd hate to buy 2 laptops this week if new ones are coming out within the month...

More often than not Apple introduced MacBooks after new MacBook Pros and not both together, typically a 3-5 weeks later. Simply to not have everyone buy at the same time and also to lure people who might buy a MacBook into buying a MacBook Pro - just to get something sooner. Which by mere coincidence often happens around the time school starts...

Not saying this will be the case again, but when reading above reports it seems very plausible that new MacBook Pros are announced mid September and new MacBooks end of September. And it then often takes a week or two extra until they are available in quantities.

To answer your question, as of today you'd likely be waiting 6 weeks to 2 months until you can get your hands on new MacBooks - and not one month.

If you don't want to wait that long, buy now.
Don't hope it's going to be merely one month. I'd say that's less likely than two.
post #297 of 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobBIT View Post

More often than not Apple introduced MacBooks after new MacBook Pros and not both together, typically a 3-5 weeks later. Simply to not have everyone buy at the same time and also to lure people who might buy a MacBook into buying a MacBook Pro - just to get something sooner. Which by mere coincidence often happens around the time school starts...

True. They also want to avoid any possible backlash from students who just bought a MacBook as part of Apple's Back to School deal. Yeah, wait 'til the end of September.
False comparisons do not a valid argument make.
Reply
False comparisons do not a valid argument make.
Reply
post #298 of 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobBIT View Post

More often than not Apple introduced MacBooks after new MacBook Pros and not both together, typically a 3-5 weeks later.

ehhh.... i disagree the last updates where together, although they where just updates this is a an entirely new computer not just a speed boost. ehh i wouldn't say 2 months. i would say either they get released at the same time or the macbook gets released shortly after. and it seems to be the consensus that the MBP is going to come out in september. at this point its worth waiting for whatever update is next. because they are coming relatively soon no matter what and you dont wanna be caught having just bought one a month or two before IMO.
post #299 of 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerfman View Post

ehhh.... i disagree the last updates where together, although they where just updates this is a an entirely new computer not just a speed boost. ehh i wouldn't say 2 months. i would say either they get released at the same time or the macbook gets released shortly after. and it seems to be the consensus that the MBP is going to come out in september. at this point its worth waiting for whatever update is next. because they are coming relatively soon no matter what and you dont wanna be caught having just bought one a month or two before IMO.

Makes good sense. I have a friend who's going to loan my twins two older PC laptops while we wait for the new macbooks to come out. They've never used anything but macs before, but I figure they can rough it for a month or two...
post #300 of 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerith View Post

Makes good sense. I have a friend who's going to loan my twins two older PC laptops while we wait for the new macbooks to come out. They've never used anything but macs before, but I figure they can rough it for a month or two...

So cruel.
False comparisons do not a valid argument make.
Reply
False comparisons do not a valid argument make.
Reply
post #301 of 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by wobegon View Post

So cruel.

I know, I know. But as a dad, I figure it's my job to gently let them know it's a cruel, hard world out there. They need to learn that those nightmares that they heard about as a child - pc computers - aren't just horrible rumors, but are in fact (shudder) true. If they can adjust to such a cold, harsh operating system, they'll be able to handle anything that life throws at them...

;-)
post #302 of 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerith View Post

I know, I know. But as a dad, I figure it's my job to gently let them know it's a cruel, hard world out there. They need to learn that those nightmares that they heard about as a child - pc computers - aren't just horrible rumors, but are in fact (shudder) true. If they can adjust to such a cold, harsh operating system, they'll be able to handle anything that life throws at them...

;-)

Good man. God though, they were so young.

*has no idea of their ages*

Better than having buyer's remorse when the new Macs debut, right?
False comparisons do not a valid argument make.
Reply
False comparisons do not a valid argument make.
Reply
post #303 of 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by wobegon View Post

Good man. God though, they were so young.

*has no idea of their ages*

Better than having buyer's remorse when the new Macs debut, right?

Absotively. I know they're young, but those PCs will make men out of them really fast. Working with Windose, they'll develop all kinds of good things - patience, stamina, endurance, ulcers...
post #304 of 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerith View Post

Absotively. I know they're young, but those PCs will make men out of them really fast. Working with Windose, they'll develop all kinds of good things - patience, stamina, endurance, ulcers...

ToughLove! You're a good dad.
ADS
Reply
ADS
Reply
post #305 of 312
It seems the allegedly the September event is going to bring (1) new MacBooks, (2) new MacBook Pros, (3) news on the fate of the Mini (upgrade or replacement) (4) new iPods, nanos and iPod Touchs.

That is a heck of a lot, so I think it would be fair to say that Apple could only bring these things out at the same time if one was a minor bump of little consequence. New MacBook designs are well talked about, whilst the Mini would surely have been bumped long ago if that is all it was going to get, but could the MacBook Pros, or iPod upgrades just be spec and price changes? I'd eat my hat if ALL of these products received design changes.
post #306 of 312
Ah sod it. If no event is announced on Tuesday I'm getting a refurb Macbook Pro. Can't actually wait any longer
post #307 of 312
I think this coming week will be interesting to see if the invites do go out. I am wondering if Apple would schedule an event for the Tuesday September 2 or Wednesday September 3? Monday is Labor Day in the United States, although that didn't stop Apple from debuting the 24-inch iMac on the Tuesday after labor day a few years ago.
You think Im an arrogant [expletive] who thinks hes above the law, and I think youre a slime bucket who gets most of his facts wrong. Steve Jobs
Reply
You think Im an arrogant [expletive] who thinks hes above the law, and I think youre a slime bucket who gets most of his facts wrong. Steve Jobs
Reply
post #308 of 312
In an iPhone world (just count the posts and hits compared with anything else), there are still those of us who hope for something dramatic in the iMac space. Perhaps the long-promised LED screens? A version with docking for MBA, making the duo a really strong solution for the frequent traveling home office consultant? It's been quite awhile since I've seen any stir about the core desktop business (yes, I depend on my trusty laptop, but there are some things that really benefit from desktop resources and super screen sizes). One can but hope.\
post #309 of 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzwriter View Post

In an iPhone world (just count the posts and hits compared with anything else), there are still those of us who hope for something dramatic in the iMac space. Perhaps the long-promised LED screens? A version with docking for MBA, making the duo a really strong solution for the frequent traveling home office consultant? It's been quite awhile since I've seen any stir about the core desktop business (yes, I depend on my trusty laptop, but there are some things that really benefit from desktop resources and super screen sizes). One can but hope.\

I hope they don't do this as an iMac update - though it's an interesting product in itself.

Apple has a tradition of offering an unusual product that 50% of people LOVE - and the other 50% wonder why anyone would use it. Other companies offer expected products that nearly everyone think is reasonable. Of course this works great for Apple.

If Apple decides on doing something which converts from portable to desktop, I could see something more like a 9 inch tablet (offering only iPod Touch apps and iWork), that can be slotted onto a stand to become a screen with keyboard (and optional MBA-like DVD drive?)
.... So that'd be a small, inexpensive web browsing and word processing computer (that can also play movies) when on your desk. Then pull off the screen and have a BIG iPod touch.
post #310 of 312
There is a site where you can bet play money on questions like this. Here is where you can go to register and pick up your $2000 grubstake (of play money): http://www.hubdub.com/s/BVSZ5CC79K

I've posted the question, "What will Apple's 'product transition' be?", along with the following nine choices and their current odds, at this location: http://www.hubdub.com/m14893/What_wi..._Transition_be

\tA video encode/decode chip in any Mac &/or iPod \t20% \t
\t
\tSome other specialized chip in any Mac &/or iPod \t9%
\t
\tLEDs to provide backlighting in any Mac &/or iPod \t9%
\t
\tBundled third-party software in any Apple product \t5%
\t
\tSomething other than the above in any Mac (only) \t9%
\t
\tSomething other than the above in any iPod (only) \t 9%
\t
\tSomething other than the above in both Mac & iPod 10%
\t
\tSomething other than the above for the iPhone \t 2%
\t
\tSomething else (for Apple TV, a new product, etc.) \t28%

PS: If you search for Apple on that site you'll find over a dozen other questions you can "bet" on.
post #311 of 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Knights View Post

There is a site where you can bet play money on questions like this. Here is where you can go to register and pick up your $2000 grubstake (of play money): http://www.hubdub.com/s/BVSZ5CC79K

I've posted the question, "What will Apple's 'product transition' be?", along with the following nine choices and their current odds, at this location: http://www.hubdub.com/m14893/What_wi..._Transition_be

\tA video encode/decode chip in any Mac &/or iPod \t20% \t
\t
\tSome other specialized chip in any Mac &/or iPod \t9%
\t
\tLEDs to provide backlighting in any Mac &/or iPod \t9%
\t
\tBundled third-party software in any Apple product \t5%
\t
\tSomething other than the above in any Mac (only) \t9%
\t
\tSomething other than the above in any iPod (only) \t 9%
\t
\tSomething other than the above in both Mac & iPod 10%
\t
\tSomething other than the above for the iPhone \t 2%
\t
\tSomething else (for Apple TV, a new product, etc.) \t28%

PS: If you search for Apple on that site you'll find over a dozen other questions you can "bet" on.

Spam again.
post #312 of 312
I spent half the labor day weekend clicking on those little red exclamation points to report posts as spam. You need to take over for me because I'm just tired of it.
Anyways, notning to do today in the office so I'm just hanging out and surfing the web about apple news.....and that google chrome announcement.

And as I surf, and as I already know it will be in january's Macworld, I'm slowly rocking back and forth in my office chair mumbling....."tablet....taaaaablet.....tabbbbbblet ......tabeletooooooo........teeebeee tabbeeee tableeetooooo".
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple poised for special event this September