or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › Priceless picture from the Olympics

Priceless picture from the Olympics

post #1 of 26

heh..
post #2 of 26
Bush will be happier when he's out of office and can go back to being a lazy sports junkie.
post #3 of 26
Does anyone think the Chinese rigged the pool to make it abnormally fast. It seems that China is so desperate to have a memorable olympics that they pull all kinds of tricks to make that happen.
post #4 of 26
They definitely cheated with their women's gymnastics team. People seem to think that at least half the team was comprised of underagers. They were clearly the superior team, but not by playing by the same rules other countries do. Let other countries put up 14 and 15 year olds and see how things pan out.
post #5 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by mydo View Post

Does anyone think the Chinese rigged the pool to make it abnormally fast. It seems that China is so desperate to have a memorable olympics that they pull all kinds of tricks to make that happen.

I agree, but I couldn't tell you how to make a pool faster. Maybe it's filled with alcohol.
Cat: the other white meat
post #6 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splinemodel View Post

I agree, but I couldn't tell you how to make a pool faster. Maybe it's filled with alcohol.

At least two ways that the Beijing waters are literally faster:

Quote:
2. The Pool Depth Matters

The pool in Beijing, known as the Water Cube, is 3 meters deep, instead of the previous depth of 2 meters. This allows swimmers to dive deeper and continue their push off dolphin kicks for a longer period of time. Olympic medalist and commentator Rowdy Gaines says, Its just deep enough to where the waves dissipate (and) the turbulence dissipates down to the bottom.

3. Empty Pool Lanes

There are ten lanes in the Water Cube, instead of the usual eight, leaving the outside lanes open. This reduces turbulence and enables swimmers to go faster. Its by far the fastest pool in the world, Gaines says.
post #7 of 26
post #8 of 26
Quote:

Bush will be happier when he's out of office and can go back to being a lazy sports junkie.

I agree. I'm extemely happy being one as well.
"If I had played my career hitting singles like Pete (Rose), I'd wear a dress." - Mickey Mantle
"If I had played my career hitting singles like Pete (Rose), I'd wear a dress." - Mickey Mantle
post #9 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnJ View Post

Don't fuck with Alicia Sacramone!

Wow she knows where to hit. Good for her. I think.
post #10 of 26
post #11 of 26
I remember being 12 and having a crush on Dominique Moceanu.

post #12 of 26
That's her now?

Boy, did she fall off...
post #13 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guybrush Threepwood View Post

That's her now?

Boy, did she fall off...

Fall off from 14? You sick, sick ticket.

P.S. Yeah, pretty much.

post #14 of 26
Well she is older than me. So that exempts me from being a 290.

Poor thing.
post #15 of 26

Ooo. Now THAT'S just classic.
post #16 of 26
For someone who hates wetbacks he sure does have a sweaty shirt...
post #17 of 26
Bush doesn't hate "wetbacks". He's all into the guest worker program and wanted Catholic latio votes.
post #18 of 26
I hope you are being sarcastic...
post #19 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guybrush Threepwood View Post

I hope you are being sarcastic...

Why? Due to Bush's soft stance on immigration policy, republican talk radio has been on his case for years. That's fact, not commentary. You may want to check the facts.
post #20 of 26
The track is rigged too. Expect world records to be set on the track this year.
post #21 of 26
Quote:

The track is rigged too. Expect world records to be set on the track this year.

What?
post #22 of 26
People are saying the track is "fast". They must have done something to it.
post #23 of 26
Quote:

People are saying the track is "fast". They must have done something to it.

Speaking as a runner, when someone says the track is fast, they mean one of two things:

1) Fast times have ensued or are likely to ensue based on the talent and competition.
2) The track is well built, possibly including slightly banked turns, and with the case of a track like the one used in the Bird's Nest, there is no wind.
post #24 of 26
It was said by a TV corespondent who is a former runner. He meant the track was build to be fast. Bolt just slammed his old record.

There's should be an asterisk next to all these world records.
post #25 of 26
Quote:

Eh...

Only if, ending with 2008, the track and pool specifications were the same throughout Olympic history do all these new records call into question comparisons with previous records. Maybe you could talk about the "Pre 3-Meter Depth" Era, since 3 meters replaced 2 meters as the new standard. Or maybe the "Dirt Track" Era and the era of whatever modern tracks are currently made of.

Or you can just call it an Olympic record...
post #26 of 26
Quote:

It was said by a TV corespondent who is a former runner. He meant the track was build to be fast. Bolt just slammed his old record.

There really isn't a whole lot that would make a track faster.

Here are the few things

1) Angle of turn and banking
2) Quality of surface (which is the same for pretty much any all-weather track)
3) Wind abatement and blocking
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AppleOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › Priceless picture from the Olympics