or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Three-Alarm fire scorches key building on Apple campus

Three-Alarm fire scorches key building on Apple campus

post #1 of 59
A three-alarm fire burned for more than three hours late Tuesday night at Apple's Cupertino headquarters before firefighters were able to fully extinguish the blaze.

The Santa Clara County Fire Department said it received reports of smoke billowing out of 20605 Valley Green Drive at around 10:00 p.m. More than 60 firefighters arrived on the scene (video), including those from neighboring San Jose Fire Department.

The building, also known as Valley Green Six, was at one time believed to house a number of hardware-based research and development projects. However, it's now said that the building is used strictly as an IT data center.

Hal Rooney, deputy chief for Santa Clara County Fire, said the fire may have started under an air conditioning unit on the second floor. Local television station KNTV reported that maintenance crews had been working on the air conditioning systems in the building earlier in the day.

The fire is believed to have scorched the roof and parts of the second floor before it was fully contained and extinguished at around 12:30 a.m. early Wednesday moring. A Santa Clara County Fire Department dispatcher later told the AP that although the fire was not very big, "there is going to be a lot of smoke damage."

No one was injured during the incident.

Firefighters arrive on the scene at Apple's Cupertino campus | Photo credit: Jessica Spacekat
post #2 of 59
So did any firefighters get a peek at future Apple products
post #3 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by amac4me View Post

So did any firefighters get a peek at future Apple products

I'm sure the "spy shots" will start arriving within the hour =P

Best,

K
EIC- AppleInsider.com
Questions and comments to : kasper@appleinsider.com
EIC- AppleInsider.com
Questions and comments to : kasper@appleinsider.com
post #4 of 59
that's what I thought too.
post #5 of 59
I can say this because no one was actually hurt..................
please OMG did they save the research????
I can't even contemplate the thought of some super uber cool Apple gadget prototype and research data being lost forever because of the fire.

Were the firefighters able to rescue the iphone pro? How about the macbook touch did it make it out ok?
post #6 of 59
I hope no projects were lost forever. It would suck to have products delayed because of this terrible incident. I'm just glad no one was hurt.

It was probably a coder "burning" the midnight oil and his Ramen noodles caught on fire.
post #7 of 59
It was probably started by one of the new intel processors
post #8 of 59
must have been a pesky magsafe charger.
post #9 of 59
who the hell was using a dell laptop there?
post #10 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadisawesome View Post

who the hell was using a dell laptop there?

Nah, if its anybody to blame it would be sony and their blasted defective batteries!
post #11 of 59
If 2010 is a poor year for Apple hardware, then we'll know what it was....
post #12 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

I can't even contemplate the thought of some super uber cool Apple gadget prototype and research data being lost forever because of the fire.

Whilst a prototype could be lost, that's very unlikely to be a project-ending disaster. Everything is designed with CAD so any designs would be safely backed-up multiple times in several locations (I hope).

This fire means that projects will be set back by a few weeks, that's all. Annoying for those workers, but not a disaster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rychencop View Post

must have been a pesky magsafe charger.

it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
post #13 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by retroneo View Post

If 2010 is a poor year for Apple hardware, then we'll know what it was....

post #14 of 59
I'm sure apple have disaster recovery plans for all their workers and projects.
post #15 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

It was probably started by one of the new intel processors

Perhaps Dell and Microsoft had a hand in this. j/k
post #16 of 59
Thats what i think. VERY SUSS!!

Investigate!
post #17 of 59
Hydrogen. cell. batteries.

You heard it here first people.
post #18 of 59
Meth lab.
post #19 of 59
AppleTV/ grilled cheese.
post #20 of 59
In other news the value of Apple has just surpassed that of Google @ $159 billion
post #21 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by amac4me View Post

Perhaps Dell and Microsoft had a hand in this. j/k

NO- methinks Research in Motion and Verizon.
post #22 of 59
From one of the new Intel processors?

Nah, if anything one of those power supplies from a G5. The G5 was the b@stard lovechild of Apple and IBM. Everybody can tell by looking at them, but no one wants to say that they don't look like the rest of the family. Chips always ran too hot, fans always ran too much, and the power supplies never held up. Remember them coming out and needing SEVEN fans?! Gosh.....you think that'll ever be a problem?! The G5 is 95% of the reason Apple switched to Intel.
post #23 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spamboy View Post

Nah, if anything one of those power supplies from a G5. The G5 was the b@stard lovechild of Apple and IBM. Everybody can tell by looking at them, but no one wants to say that they don't look like the rest of the family. Chips always ran too hot, fans always ran too much, and the power supplies never held up. Remember them coming out and needing SEVEN fans?! Gosh.....you think that'll ever be a problem?! The G5 is 95% of the reason Apple switched to Intel.

The PowerPC as a rule ran faster and cooler than the competition, only towards the end did stray as motorolla were just being plain rubbish and not delivering.

Nothing has ever fried my testicles as the current intel chips do.
post #24 of 59
Quote:

OUCH!
post #25 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spamboy View Post

The G5 is 95% of the reason Apple switched to Intel.

I thought 99.9999% of the reason Apple switched was to take over Microsoft's world dominance?
post #26 of 59
Quote:

The PowerPC as a rule ran faster and cooler than the competition, only towards the end did stray as motorolla were just being plain rubbish and not delivering.

If they ever released the mythical Powerbook G5, it would have served your testicles with a side of fries and a coke.
post #27 of 59
What is a "three alarm fire"?????
post #28 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by applestockholder View Post

Well it's like 3 alarm chili but hotter
post #29 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by applestockholder View Post

Watch the video linked to this story and you'll understand what it means!

Regards!
post #30 of 59
watched the video, still don't get it. Does it refer to the alarm having a "tripple buzz, pause, tripple buzz..." - if so, the name "three alarm fire" is still not very obviously descriptive...
post #31 of 59
post #32 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisqdeebo View Post

Well it's like 3 alarm chili but hotter

You sure it wasn't a 3G fire?

Anyway, I wonder whether they'll have a fire sale for all the products in the R&D shop...
post #33 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_lha View Post

If they ever released the mythical Powerbook G5, it would have served your testicles with a side of fries and a coke.

As far as memory serves the G5's were never originally designed for laptops,nor desktops. Power and heat were of no consideration as they were designed for banks of IBM supercomputers.
However when motorolla, who were meant to be designing the low power next generation screwed up, diverting their attention elseware, Apple were forced to use the crappy G5.

Or something allow those lines, I cant be bothered to wikipedia it.

My point is the Power PC chips IMO were great, and for the greater period had excellent power/performance ratio.
post #34 of 59
Boy, they're really burning the midnight oil there....
post #35 of 59
Quote:
The building, also known as Valley Green Six, is believed to be one of the most famous buildings on the Apple campus, as it has been known to house a number of hardware-based research and development projects in the past.

Apple has been known to work on some pretty hot products. Need I say more?

post #36 of 59
Oops, kept the popcorn in the microwave for to long.
post #37 of 59
Quote:

You should then scorch your buttocks on AppleTV's Intel chip to even it out.
post #38 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwik View Post

Meth lab.

Apple iMeth
post #39 of 59
Quote:

In other news the value of Apple has just surpassed that of Google @ $159 billion

And Apple has been around only 22 years more.
post #40 of 59
Does this mean the Apple Hydrogen Fuel Cell Hovercraft with traffic avoiding artificial intelligence satellite hookup, auto drive and Blu-ray player shall be delayed?
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Three-Alarm fire scorches key building on Apple campus