or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › HSBC bank may ditch BlackBerry for 200,000 iPhones - report
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HSBC bank may ditch BlackBerry for 200,000 iPhones - report

post #1 of 78
Thread Starter 
In what would surely be a blow Research in Motion, HSBC is considering a move that would strip its employees of their BlackBerry handsets and equip them with some 200,000 Apple iPhones instead.

"We are actually reviewing iPhones from a HSBC Group perspective ... and when I say that, I mean globally," HSBC's Australia and New Zealand chief information officer Brenton Hush told ZDNet.com.au on Tuesday.

HSBC is both world's largest company and banking group, with an estimated 330,000 employees globally. As such, a deployment of iPhones to just 200,000 staffers would be figuring 'conservatively,' Hush added.

"You know, it's a big decision, especially when you have an existing fleet out there," he said. "But it's definitely something we are considering from a HSBC Group perspective."

Other banks have been skeptical about unleashing the Apple handset onto their networks due to perceived inadequacies in email and security when compared to BlackBerry devices. Hush, who was recently promoted to chief information officer of the local arm of HSBC, doesn't share those same views however.

"I think [the iPhone] would change some underlying infrastructure considerations from an enterprise perspective," he said ."But [Apple] have been pretty smart with the design."

ZDNet notes that HSBC's global operations has a $6 billion annual technology budget and a technology team of 30,000 supporting 330,000 employees. Research in Motion's BlackBerry is currently the firm's standard issue handset.

HSBC is just one of over 165 Fortune 500 companies that have expressed interest in the iPhone by applying for developer status to Apple's iPhone software developer program.
post #2 of 78
If it happens, it would add another high profile enterprise level firm who has deployed the iPhone.

It's only a matter of time after iPhone deployments will we see the trickle down impact of the Mac value proposition in the enterprise. It's logical to expect that Mac use will rise over time in those firms that deploy the iPhone.
post #3 of 78
Short Term = Lots of initially excited end-users who will quickly become frustrated by all the "little things" broken (or non-existent) in iPhone's handling of various email, calendar, contacts, tasks, & to-do's compared to mature Blackberry options.

Long Term = RIMs rapid demise triggers the long-inevitable conversion of Canada into U.S.'s 51st state

Or maybe not. What the hell do I know?
post #4 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZagMac View Post

Short Term = Lots of initially excited end-users who will quickly become frustrated by all the "little things" broken (or non-existent) in iPhone's handling of various email, calendar, contacts, tasks, & to-do's compared to mature Blackberry options.

Long Term = RIMs rapid demise triggers the long-inevitable conversion of Canada into U.S.'s 51st state

Or maybe not. What the hell do I know?

About as likely as a surprise republican win in the next election triggering a swathe of northern states to leave the US and join Canada!

HSBC better not do this until Apple have sorted out all of the small niggles and got a fixed 3G chipset firmware installed. And a ToDo list application that integrates with Outlook (although Outlook's ToDo functionality is verging on pointless and dire, but then again I've used OmniOutliner...)
post #5 of 78
Until Apple offers an extend battery I do not believe that enterprise will be happy with the iPhone 3G. This is not a criticism, it's based upon experience.
post #6 of 78
Companies are starting to move beyond just email for the mobile user; not to browser-based apps, but to their own customized apps that use the Internet for information access. For that, the combination of a great UI, app development tools, and app deployment mechanism will be a huge advantage.

Of course, RIM and others can do the same, though it will take some time. Apple has blindsided its mobile competitors. And it explains why Apple kept its native app story and App Store ambiguous (or really hidden in plain sight) until it was ready to go.

The fact that iPhone continues to be "closed" is a sign that Apple is serious about enterprise sales. Going forward, there will be tension between enterprises who want iPhone to be more closed, and hackers who want it to be more open. And I think Apple is going to be siding with enterprises.
"you will know the truth, and the truth will
set you free."
Reply
"you will know the truth, and the truth will
set you free."
Reply
post #7 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by CREB View Post

Until Apple offers an extend battery I do not believe that enterprise will be happy with the iPhone 3G. This is not a criticism, it's based upon experience.

You can buy extended batteries from third parties today. Are you saying it must be Apple-branded?
"you will know the truth, and the truth will
set you free."
Reply
"you will know the truth, and the truth will
set you free."
Reply
post #8 of 78
Sounds like he's trying to negotiate his next order of Blackberries to me.
A reputation is not built upon the restful domain of one's comfort zone; it is made out of stalwart exposition of your core beliefs, for all challenges to disprove them as irrelevant hubris.- Berp...
Reply
A reputation is not built upon the restful domain of one's comfort zone; it is made out of stalwart exposition of your core beliefs, for all challenges to disprove them as irrelevant hubris.- Berp...
Reply
post #9 of 78
They really shouldn't rely on the iPhone for their business just yet. The software is still horrible. I'm getting tired of restoring my phone every other day so I'm hoping that I just received a defective phone and I'm heading to the bar tonight to get it replaced. I could never recommend the iPhone to a company that relies on their smartphones for business. If it were later on in the game when Apple hopefully fixes the bugs and instability... sure. But not now.
post #10 of 78
If they have some custom apps they want to deploy they should go for it, but if it's just for messaging then why change.
post #11 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark2005 View Post

You can buy extended batteries from third parties today. Are you saying it must be Apple-branded?

True, but they're clunky solutions compared to just getting a spare battery out of your briefcase. If Apple are serious about going after Enterprise users they would do well to develop a "pro" iPhone with features that business users can't live without (like a replaceable battery) and maybe even a keyboard.
post #12 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark2005 View Post

And I think Apple is going to be siding with enterprises.

Are you familiar with how Jobs thinks? It is not along the enterprise model.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark2005 View Post

You can buy extended batteries from third parties today. Are you saying it must be Apple-branded?

Enterprise will always prefer a company brand versus an aftermarket.
post #13 of 78
Do you really think that the likes of HSBC doesn't have the expertise in planning, vetting, coordinating, deploying, etc., communication devices such as the iphone to make their own decision?

Or are you guys so well above them that they have come here to listen to continually disparaging rhetoric from the same individuals over and over again?
post #14 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_lha View Post

True, but they're clunky solutions compared to just getting a spare battery out of your briefcase. If Apple are serious about going after Enterprise users they would do well to develop a "pro" iPhone with features that business users can't live without (like a replaceable battery) and maybe even a keyboard.

a keyboard, lol
MacBook 2.1Ghz
iPhone 3G 8GB Black
Reply
MacBook 2.1Ghz
iPhone 3G 8GB Black
Reply
post #15 of 78
Short term: Copy/Paste added.
Long term: Apple is the new Microsoft. (just kidding... ?)
post #16 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hattig View Post

About as likely as a surprise republican win in the next election triggering a swathe of northern states to leave the US and join Canada!

Oooooh, something to look forward to when the Dems lose the presidential election.

I don't care if it triggers a swathe of northern states to leave the US to join Canada, but MA, that's a different story - See ya, Ted!

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Reply

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Reply
post #17 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_lha View Post

True, but they're clunky solutions compared to just getting a spare battery out of your briefcase. If Apple are serious about going after Enterprise users they would do well to develop a "pro" iPhone with features that business users can't live without (like a replaceable battery) and maybe even a keyboard.

I just picked up one of these: http://www.amazon.com/Amstron-PP33-E.../dp/B000U8F94Y

Pretty nice, it's just a little smaller than the iPhone and comes with accessories for attaching to other types of devices that take power over USB jacks.

I figure it will be a great thing to have when I am on a trip or in an airport. It has enough juice to fully charge the iPhone twice, so between the phone itself and the battery, you can get three charges. Something to consider for people unhappy with the 3G battery life.
post #18 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_lha View Post

True, but they're clunky solutions compared to just getting a spare battery out of your briefcase.

OTOH the iPhone is solid and less clunky than a phone with a creaky battery door hinge.
Or a battery door with loose or broken contacts that has to be taped on.
Or the phone that is dropped - phone, battery door, and battery fly in three different directions
Or the battery door that is firmly apart of the phone but extremely difficult to remove.
post #19 of 78
2011 13" 2.3 MBP, 2006 15" 2.16 MBP, iPhone 4, iPod Shuffle, AEBS, AppleTV2 with XBMC.
Reply
2011 13" 2.3 MBP, 2006 15" 2.16 MBP, iPhone 4, iPod Shuffle, AEBS, AppleTV2 with XBMC.
Reply
post #20 of 78
The iPhone is not perfect. Other phones have certain legitimate advantages.

What many forget (or pretend to) is that:

* No OTHER phone is perfect.

* The iPhone has its OWN advantages.

Thus, while many like to suggest that "avoid the iPhone" is the only rational choice, it's actually more complicated than that. It can actually make SENSE to choose an iPhone. And those who fear for HSBC's well-being need not worry: I don't think HSBC is taking such a decision lightly. They're probably even smart enough to know that the iPhone keeps getting updates--so they can wait-and-see what improvements come in the months ahead.

Whether they ultimately choose BlackBerry or iPhone, I see no cause yet to doubt that their reasons will be sensible.
post #21 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by amac4me View Post

If it happens, it would add another high profile enterprise level firm who has deployed the iPhone.

"another high profile enterprise level firm"???
Names please- back up - thank you.
post #22 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by piano08man View Post

They really shouldn't rely on the iPhone for their business just yet. The software is still horrible. I'm getting tired of restoring my phone every other day so I'm hoping that I just received a defective phone and I'm heading to the bar tonight to get it replaced. I could never recommend the iPhone to a company that relies on their smartphones for business. If it were later on in the game when Apple hopefully fixes the bugs and instability... sure. But not now.

Purely out of curiosity, are you running blessed iPhone and apps, or are you running jailbroken apps?
I've never heard anything close to your description. May very well be a flawed unit.
post #23 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by CREB View Post

Until Apple offers an extend battery I do not believe that enterprise will be happy with the iPhone 3G. This is not a criticism, it's based upon experience.

Really -can't you see all the IS departments having to mail back iPhones to Apple to replace their worn down batteries?
Seriously, I mean those guys that depend on their crackberries for work are using them literally all day and night.
post #24 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDRC View Post

a keyboard, lol

LOL all you like (I doubt you are laughing out loud however), I know plenty of BB users who won't even consider an iPhone due to the lack of tactile keyboard. Apple may have to take those people seriously if it want to replace Blackberries.
post #25 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark2005 View Post

Companies are starting to move beyond just email for the mobile user; not to browser-based apps, but to their own customized apps that use the Internet for information access. For that, the combination of a great UI, app development tools, and app deployment mechanism will be a huge advantage.

BINGO! That's it in a nutshell. Every enterprise, especially the larger ones, will be able to design its own iApp to suit its particular needs.
In a world of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
Reply
In a world of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
Reply
post #26 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_lha View Post

LOL all you like (I doubt you are laughing out loud however), I know plenty of BB users who won't even consider an iPhone due to the lack of tactile keyboard. Apple may have to take those people seriously if it want to replace Blackberries.

It just occurred to me- if you're blind how do you use an iPhone? with a keyboard there is no problem
Won't that lack of a feature disciminate and violate ADA in the workplace? Is this one more strike against the iPhone?
post #27 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

It just occurred to me- if you're blind how do you use an iPhone? with a keyboard there is no problem
Won't that lack of a feature disciminate and violate ADA in the workplace? Is this one more strike against the iPhone?

Can blind people use a Blackberry? Being able to see the screen is pretty important when using a Blackberry, they don't have any accessibility features (such as speaking menu items) do they?
post #28 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

It just occurred to me- if you're blind how do you use an iPhone? with a keyboard there is no problem
Won't that lack of a feature disciminate and violate ADA in the workplace? Is this one more strike against the iPhone?

If one were to ask that to a blind person, I bet one would find out pretty quick that only a dumb person would be dumb enough to ask question in the first place.
post #29 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

It just occurred to me- if you're blind how do you use an iPhone? with a keyboard there is no problem
Won't that lack of a feature disciminate and violate ADA in the workplace? Is this one more strike against the iPhone?

It seems inside time is over.
Give the keyboard back to your mommy and go back outside to play.
post #30 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

If one were to ask that to a blind person, I bet one would find out pretty quick that only a dumb person would be dumb enough to ask question in the first place.

That's not a dumb question but that's a dumb-assed reply.
How do you make a phone call with a smooth screen? Unless there are braille stickies for the iPhone - it won't do.
Is the voice recognition limited.
post #31 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbrasington View Post

It seems inside time is over.
Give the keyboard back to your mommy and go back outside to play.

Oh- you are just soo insulting.
Did I strike a nerve in you?
post #32 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

It just occurred to me- if you're blind how do you use an iPhone? with a keyboard there is no problem
Won't that lack of a feature disciminate and violate ADA in the workplace? Is this one more strike against the iPhone?

I'd be QUITE impressed to see a blind person using a BB with 40 tiny keys on it.
post #33 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

The iPhone is not perfect. Other phones have certain legitimate advantages.

What many forget, is that:

* No OTHER phone is perfect.

* The iPhone has its OWN advantages.

Thus, while many like to suggest that "avoid the iPhone" is the only rational choice, it's actually more complicated than that. It can actually make SENSE to choose an iPhone. And those who fear for HSBC's well-being need not worry: I don't think HSBC is taking such a decision lightly. They're probably even smart enough to know that the iPhone keeps getting updates--so they can wait-and-see what improvements come in the months ahead.

Whether they ultimately choose BlackBerry or iPhone, I see no cause yet to doubt that their reasons will be sensible.

I agree but. My only hope is this. That due to the mass size
Of this sale and if it's a success future business it will bring that maybe it will force apple to add the necessary features such as cut/paste and mms and unlock all possible Bluetooth features. If this happens I will be a very happy camper
post #34 of 78
Having shared this tid-bit with a friend he suggested another alternative: they're just positioning to get a better deal from RIM. This is certainly plausible.
post #35 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

"another high profile enterprise level firm"???
Names please- back up - thank you.

Fox Studio
post #36 of 78
The largest drawback to using the iPhone in this type of environment is the lack of Full data Encryption. Blackberry supports this, iPhone does not. Honestly without this feature, HSBC would be unwise to adopt the phone in any capacity. When you deal with large amounts of money, the last thing you want is bank data (anything from customer info to IT network info) stored in clear text. For the record, I work for a bank, and security is everything here. If you don't take it seriously, you might as well paint a target on yourself.
"Life is a cookie"
Reply
"Life is a cookie"
Reply
post #37 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

I'd be QUITE impressed to see a blind person using a BB with 40 tiny keys on it.

lol, Damn, and all this time I have been wondering how to get rid of my crappy Razr - think I'll sue 'cause it is not ADA compliant!!!!!
OMG here we go again...
Reply
OMG here we go again...
Reply
post #38 of 78
mmmm, I love the iphone but it's not ready for prime time. There's to many problems. I was lucky to get one for free, I love what it does but it's buggy, no removable battery, and the hardware goes. I'm on my 5th phone already. My wife has a blackberry and the thing just works. The iphone has a better screen but I'm always fighting with it.
post #39 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel0418 View Post

I agree but. My only hope is this. That due to the mass size
Of this sale and if it's a success future business it will bring that maybe it will force apple to add the necessary features such as cut/paste and mms and unlock all possible Bluetooth features. If this happens I will be a very happy camper

Those all seem inevitable in the end (unless AT&T has some issue with MMS that I can't comprehend). The question is when, and enterprise interest could indeed push some things along faster. Especially the first two. Apple's already commented (vaguely) about adding the BIG one I want: cut and paste.

(I'd also love tethering, but AT&T won't give it away for free and I won't pay what it costs!)
post #40 of 78
What kind of banking outfit needs a 10% IT force for crissakes? That sounds like the IT group ought to be a profit center somehow. Or is it that 1 tech supports only 10 people because they're stuck on Vista? I can imagine each tech starting out his workday by paying office visits to each of his ten clients. "OK, stick out your tongue...oh-oh, you've got a nasty virus there...let me reload the OS and call me in the morning..."

OK, so I'm stretching it but even if you consider that of the 30,000 tech support group half are management, that still leaves each true tech a client base of only 20 people. Sounds like a nice little fiefdom has been created and grown.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › HSBC bank may ditch BlackBerry for 200,000 iPhones - report