or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › Apple Hardware › Old iMac G3, use it as a jukebox?

Old iMac G3, use it as a jukebox?

post #1 of 3
I have an old iMac G3 233mhz and would like to use it as a jukebox, for that to happen I shall need to upgrade the ram to 512mb (which i believe is the maximum mine would support) and install tiger onto it whilst also upgrading it to a larger hard drive, I know tiger isn't meant to be installed on a machine that old but I know it can be done, is this feasible or am i chasing a hopeless dream?
iMac 24" 2.4ghz, 1GB Ram, 250GB, OSX 10.5
iMac 24" 2.4ghz, 1GB Ram, 250GB, OSX 10.5
post #2 of 3
Very feasible... I can't say how Tiger runs, but I ran 10.3 on that same machine... iTunes worked just fine. (with audio... not with video.) I also had a 120GB HD in it ... IIRC you'll want to make sure it has the latest firmware update prior to putting in a big drive. There was also a catch if you wish to partition the drive... but only comes into play with multiple partitions.
From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, "Look at that!" -...
From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, "Look at that!" -...
post #3 of 3
go 2 the apple store and it will b fixed
I hate 9 year olds with Ipods

What are they listening to, the Barbie Soundtrack???
I hate 9 year olds with Ipods

What are they listening to, the Barbie Soundtrack???
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › Apple Hardware › Old iMac G3, use it as a jukebox?