or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple Enterprise sending thousands of Macs into hotels, cruise ships
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple Enterprise sending thousands of Macs into hotels, cruise ships - Page 2

post #41 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

Could you tell from those screenshots in the article that those computers were running Mac OS?

Though the reflections and layout of the screenshots look decidedly OSX Nanopoint is available for WindowsXP and OSX. The giveaway is ASR (OSX not Windows) and:-

"...Nanopoint on the Mac moves away from the browser to deliver a richer media experience. Leveraging Mac OS X's graphics compositing tools, the software can present video with interactive controls and animated elements to deliver an impressive experience"

Which hints at least some of the compositing is client-side (though the paragraph below says it's the OSX Server products also do this).

I guess this industry gives a compelling argument for an AppleTV SDK.

McD
Android proves (as Windows & VHS did before it) that if you want to control people, give us choices and the belief we're capable of making them. We're all 'living' the American dream.
Reply
Android proves (as Windows & VHS did before it) that if you want to control people, give us choices and the belief we're capable of making them. We're all 'living' the American dream.
Reply
post #42 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by McDave View Post

I guess this industry gives a compelling argument for an AppleTV SDK.

That is an interesting idea. hotel rooms with basically AppleTVs for doing web surfing, playing basic games and ordering movies. The USB port could be used for a keyboard that connects to a mouse. Cheaper HW and simpler OS and interface. But will Apple accommodate for this?
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #43 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

That is an interesting idea. hotel rooms with basically AppleTVs for doing web surfing, playing basic games and ordering movies. The USB port could be used for a keyboard that connects to a mouse. Cheaper HW and simpler OS and interface. But will Apple accommodate for this?

Probably not, at least for the consumer market, to much opportunity for it to do 'the wrong thing' and threaten legal downloads. Allowing customisation for the commercial sector through special partnerships - now that would make sense. Apple seem to have always favoured excellence in specialist markets than a compromised, catch-all product.

McD
Android proves (as Windows & VHS did before it) that if you want to control people, give us choices and the belief we're capable of making them. We're all 'living' the American dream.
Reply
Android proves (as Windows & VHS did before it) that if you want to control people, give us choices and the belief we're capable of making them. We're all 'living' the American dream.
Reply
post #44 of 59
The point was as the hotel/travel industry goes to mac systems (mac/iphone/TV box, iChat, etc.) because of usability and integrated app's Microsoft's Ballmer would be sweating if the Canadian National RR goes mac since Bill Gates is its largest stockholder (e.g. end of the line!). It would leave MS with only a big table with icons on it in the lobby. M$-mac=$M.
post #45 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple's Enterprise Sales Group has been quietly installing thousands of iMacs, Mac minis, Mac Pros, and Xserves in hotels and cruise ships in a new push to bring the media rich experience of Apple's retail stores to the hospitality industry .....

My company has been involved in installing "media experience" equipment in several recent hospitality industry projects

The impression given by this article is that Apple is providing free or low-priced equipment or technical support for such installations. That was not my experience.

In my projects, we selected the Apple products for technical reasons and paid the asking price, which was a few percentage points below list. We also employed independent consultants, at our own expense, to do the development work.

We selected iMacs for customer-used web browsing because they could allow multi-language log-in including double-byte languages, control log-ins and time-outs more effectively and because they looked good. The systems used X-Serves to net-boot and update the iMacs, with a pair of Mac Minis for back-up and as iTunes BGM servers, operated by an iMac at the Front Desk. The X-Serves, plus Leopard, greatly reduce support and maintenance costs (remember all those languages?).

We did evaluate Windows Vista Ultimate Edition, which supports multiple languages, but it was not able to do so transparently. As one of the above posters commented, "Surprised?"

In other words, as far as I know, hospitality industry projects are adopting Apple's products because they can meet demands, not because Apple is promoting them. If Daniel is aware of any "Push" on Apple's side in delivering their products to the industry, I would love to hear about it.

How does 1,000 rooms sound?
post #46 of 59
I chuckled when I saw John Applese I mean...John Turnipseed on the buddy list.
post #47 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shunnabunich View Post

I chuckled when I saw John Applese— I mean...John Turnipseed on the buddy list.

I too chuckled, but it was when I saw Cindy Williams. (Shirley of "Lavern & Shirley")
post #48 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tardis View Post


The impression given by this article is that Apple is providing free or low-priced equipment or technical support for such installations. That was not my experience.

That's not the impression it gives at all. The impression it gives is that Apple, along with other companies as partners, is selling equipment into this market, and is doing so very successfully.

[
In my projects, we selected the Apple products for technical reasons and paid the asking price, which was a few percentage points below list. We also employed independent consultants, at our own expense, to do the development work. [/quote]

That's what the article is telling us.

Quote:
We selected iMacs for customer-used web browsing because they could allow multi-language log-in including double-byte languages, control log-ins and time-outs more effectively and because they looked good. The systems used X-Serves to net-boot and update the iMacs, with a pair of Mac Minis for back-up and as iTunes BGM servers, operated by an iMac at the Front Desk. The X-Serves, plus Leopard, greatly reduce support and maintenance costs (remember all those languages?).

We did evaluate Windows Vista Ultimate Edition, which supports multiple languages, but it was not able to do so transparently. As one of the above posters commented, "Surprised?"

In other words, as far as I know, hospitality industry projects are adopting Apple's products because they can meet demands, not because Apple is promoting them. If Daniel is aware of any "Push" on Apple's side in delivering their products to the industry, I would love to hear about it.

How does 1,000 rooms sound?

Mostly true. I say 'mostly' because Apple IS promoting this. They've entered into highly publicized deals, and as the article shows, has a division, part of which is intended to promote, and service, this area.
post #49 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Now PLEASE Apple work on the real estate industry that still churns out MLS databases that refuse to work unless you run IE on Windows!! VMWare works well but many wouldn't need it if these morons would write modern compliant databases that were platform agnostic.

MLS works well in Canada on Safari, even on Panther.
post #50 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by tilt View Post

MLS works well in Canada on Safari, even on Panther.

Lucky you. They use a different system obviously.
Use duckduckgo.com with Safari, not Google Search
Been using Apples since 1978 and Macs since 1984
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
Reply
Use duckduckgo.com with Safari, not Google Search
Been using Apples since 1978 and Macs since 1984
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
Reply
post #51 of 59
Quote:
From the article:
...using Quartz Compositor to create programatically designed visuals that interact with feeds from external data sources... (emphasis added)

I believe it should be Quartz Composer instead of Compositor. While Quartz Composer is a node-based programming tool, Quart Compositor is the Mac OS X Window Manager.
post #52 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

In the eyes of ignorant Windows based IT departments, Mac users are like monkeys fascinated by shiny objects. They think that all Mac users care about is having an Apple logo on the outside. So why not buy a shiny Mac just to run Windows? Could you tell from those screenshots in the article that those computers were running Mac OS?

The Conrad Bangkok hotel refurbished their Executive Lounge recently, which now has exclusively iMac computers, for both staff and guest use. However, they are all set to boot to Windows, so presumably they selected iMacs just for the aesthetic appeal.
post #53 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by emailboy View Post

The Conrad Bangkok hotel refurbished their Executive Lounge recently, which now has exclusively iMac computers, for both staff and guest use. However, they are all set to boot to Windows, so presumably they selected iMacs just for the aesthetic appeal.

That may very well be the case with the Conrad Bangkok, but don't rule out a simplified HW support and/or a potentially lower cost per unit for that speed machine, coupled with the aesthetic appeal of Apple's HW platform. Besides that, I doubt Haggar was implying that no Macs are ever sold because their their looks, even non-Mac computers are sought after based on aesthetics. Why else would Acer make a Ferrari laptop?

While I would currently choose a Windows-based shop for the majority of most medium to large IT decisions, having worked in and for IT for many a year my anecdotal experience has been that most people get into IT from using Windows. It's not uncommon for one to have a predilection to what one already knows.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #54 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

That may very well be the case with the Conrad Bangkok, but don't rule out a simplified HW support and/or a potentially lower cost per unit for that speed machine, coupled with the aesthetic appeal of Apple's HW platform. Besides that, I doubt Haggar was implying that no Macs are ever sold because their their looks, even non-Mac computers are sought after based on aesthetics. Why else would Acer make a Ferrari laptop?

I wasn't saying that because it appears that the Conrad Bangkok chose iMacs purely on aesthetics, that everyone does. That would be absurd. I'm pleased that some hotels and cruise ships are deploying Macs because of the better guest experience. At the same time, if some chose iMacs just because they look cool (and run Windows on them), well, at least Apple is getting revenue and it puts the brand out there.
post #55 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Now PLEASE Apple work on the real estate industry that still churns out MLS databases that refuse to work unless you run IE on Windows!! VMWare works well but many wouldn't need it if these morons would write modern compliant databases that were platform agnostic.

If the MLS provider follows RETS I would hope that an iPhone app would be possible.

http://rets.org/cms/about

"Even if a particular MLS system does not meet the requirements for RETS, however, that does not mean it must be replaced. Another option may be to install a RETS -compliant parallel system that draws the information from the main host and then stores and provides it in accordance with the standard. That solution may be available from the same vendor who supplied the present system or from a third-party provider. "

Then its a matter of writing a OSX or iPhone native client.
post #56 of 59
Wow!This is great........

It would be nice if OSX becomes the standard backbone for this type of thing...
This might be a great way to get more enterprise experience for Apple too.
lawsteven
Simulation prêt
post #57 of 59
Nice article! What could be a better strategy then to tap into the hospitality and entertainment industry to take over the consumer market! I think Apple has made a good move by doing all that has been outlined in the article.
post #58 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

That is an interesting idea. hotel rooms with basically AppleTVs for doing web surfing, playing basic games and ordering movies. The USB port could be used for a keyboard that connects to a mouse. Cheaper HW and simpler OS and interface. But will Apple accommodate for this?


I agree with you. Installing AppleTv's seems to be a good business move; not only for Apple, but also for hotels. This way Apple makes its way to its consumers and at the same time, signs up with some good business clientele.
post #59 of 59
Any other industries, you guys think, may be lucrative enough for apple to expand into?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple Enterprise sending thousands of Macs into hotels, cruise ships