or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Microsoft taps Seinfeld to help battle Apple in new ad campaign

Microsoft taps Seinfeld to help battle Apple in new ad campaign - Page 4

post #121 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

Exactly. All the folks going on about how the Seinfeld series is dated have nothing but their own limited experience to back them up.

The fact is, MS is a giant impersonal corporation and they approach these things in a business like way. There is a list (actually mentioned in some articles on this today), of popular people and brands that they consult. It doesn't matter what anyone here thinks about Seinfeld, the point is he is about 19th on that list in terms of name recognition. That alone makes him worth 10 million and is the reason they picked him. Presumably if he refused they would go to number 20.

I haven't seen those other articles. Are you referring to "Q rating"?
post #122 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

For a short time, there was a PC on the desk. The Macs featured on the show was an SE, PowerBook Duo (in the Dock) and a TAM.

Not that it matters that much, but you're wrong about this. I have all 9 seasons on DVD and watched them quite recently and Jerry never had a PC (as in non-Mac) on his desk, I'm sure about that, I would've noticed. George on the other hand had a PC on his desk for quite a while.
post #123 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by VL-Tone View Post

Not that it matters that much, but you're wrong about this. I have all 9 seasons on DVD and watched them quite recently and Jerry never had a PC (as in non-Mac) on his desk, I'm sure about that, I would've noticed. George on the other hand had a PC on his desk for quite a while.

Backing up your statement, according to IMDb's trivia section...
Quote:
• Although Jerry uses a Apple computers/ Mac through out the series, he has various IBM-PC Microsoft office products (Word, Excel, MS windows) on his desk next to his computer
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #124 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Backing up your statement, according to IMDb's trivia section...

He must have had access to a really early beta of Bootcamp
post #125 of 146
Am I the only one thinking of The Simpsons Movie?

Tom Hanks: "The U.S. Government has lost all credibility, so they've hired me to borrow some of mine."

Or something like that.

Seems that way with Microsoft and Seinfeld here. My question, why not Tom Hanks?
post #126 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic_Al View Post

Does this mean that, for enough money, Seinfeld would leave Superman for Iron Man?

This analogy's reversed. See, Iron Man is the new cool, whereas Superman is a has-been. So Seinfeld would have to be leaving Wishta for OSX, not the way it is now.
post #127 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by flemsha View Post

Virtual PC babe. That was the kid in town back then. Barfff.

But... but... what is the relevance between what was in a TV set show vs what he uses real life? Do we know what he uses in real life? Are we a bit bored?
post #128 of 146
I hope Apple comes up with counter ads to this one -- two hackers discussing hacking into Vista and MacOS - the Mac hacker is totally down and depressed because he cant break into Mac OS - the Vista hacker tells him to switch to Vista -- it has lots of Windows and no Walls! Lots of openings here!

Seriously - when it comes to Vista, a statement like "Windows, Not Walls" - implies just one thing -- lots of holes in the OS, and nothing to protect you from viruses, spyware, etc!
post #129 of 146
Apple critics frequently tell us that Apple has average engineering and only excels because of first rate marketing. I disagree. I maintain that Apple's marketing is first-rate, but their engineering is equal or better.

But what about Microsoft? Their engineering's bad, we all know that. But is their marketing worse?
post #130 of 146
Seriously, though, if this ad agency is really the one that came up with that plastic-headed hobgoblin on the Burger King commercials...well, that's the creepiest damn thing I've ever seen in my life! But if that's their idea of emulating the hilarious Jack-in-the-Box commercials, and Aero is Microsoft's idea of copying Aqua, then I guess they were made for each other.
post #131 of 146
"In the competition between PCs and Macs, we outsell Apple 30-to-1. But there is no doubt that Apple is thriving," Microsoft chief executive Steve Ballmer wrote in the email to employees last month. "Why? Because they are good at providing an experience that is narrow but complete, while our commitment to choice often comes with some compromises to the end-to-end experience."

In communication, if you remove everything in front of the word "but", you have the message. In this case, Balmer says: Apple provides a complete experience while we compromise the end-to-end experience.

If you remove all nuance, Balmer says:
Apple provides complete user experience while we compromise user experience.
Blog: PowerConferenceCalls.com
Blog: PowerConferenceCalls.com
post #132 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

Please give me an example of Apple "playing up the image of being the great benevolent corporate identity".

That would be Google.
post #133 of 146
Quote:
The ads will use some variation of the slogan "Windows, Not Walls," according to the report, and "stress breaking down barriers that prevent people and ideas from connecting."

Barriers? You mean like WGA and PlaysForSure?
13" MacBook Pro 2.26GHz; iPhone 4 32GB
13" MacBook Pro 2.26GHz; iPhone 4 32GB
post #134 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"the brainchild of Crispin Porter + Bogusky, a Miami-based ad shop that has helped revitalize brands such as Burger King."

Burger King has been revitalized?!?
post #135 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by wraithofwonder View Post

Tom Hanks: "The U.S. Government has lost all credibility, so they've hired me to borrow some of mine."

Or something like that.

Seems that way with Microsoft and Seinfeld here. My question, why not Tom Hanks?

I was watching it last night and that's exactly what I was thinking.
(not that there's anything wrong with that....)
post #136 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveGee View Post

Reminds me of that Jeep commercial from a few years back (okay maybe a lot of years back)...

Scene top of a mountain with several business types pitching an AD to some car company... "Imagine as the camera pans across this beautiful horizon and stops to focus in on your SUV stilling atop this very majestic mountain plateau."

They all sigh a deep sigh...

One exec says yea but HOW are we going to get the SUVs up here? paused response Helicopter! Where everyone says excellent, excellent....

The AD ends where they all drive down from the mountain plateau in Jeeps....

Dave

I loved that Jeep commercial.

The BK ads being discussed are fairly lame though compared to the odd "King" ones (that freak out my wife). As far as bringing the company back.... most of the BK's in my area disappeared a few years ago and haven't come back.
"'Course, don't ever tell anybody that they're not free 'cause then they're gonna get real busy killin' and maimin' to prove to you that they are." -George Hanson
"'Course, don't ever tell anybody that they're not free 'cause then they're gonna get real busy killin' and maimin' to prove to you that they are." -George Hanson
post #137 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by wraithofwonder View Post

Or something like that.

What, stuck on a deserted island with a laptop displaying the blue screen of death?
post #138 of 146
I heard that Art Vandelay will be doing Windows ads, too.
A friend will help you move, but a REAL FRIEND will help you move a body.
A friend will help you move, but a REAL FRIEND will help you move a body.
post #139 of 146
I'll reserve judgement on the ad until I see it, but they need to do something new to make any marketing change. Apple may or may not have a heavy hand in its advertising, but I'm sure Jobs makes pitch meetings scary enough for Chiat/Day to pull out its A-game.

I think what we're going to seeing is the same thing that Microsoft does to tarnish its image again and again: do what others did, and do it about as well. Thus with no originality or technical advantage, they look like they're coming in behind the times.

They're putting a relatable human face on the program, but instead of picking relative unknowns to create something that most computer companies would never think of, they seem to be banking on the actor himself - an easy grab. They could do it right, HP was able to out its own spin on the celebrity endorsement thing really well, with a tinge of mystery, real cool, and showing off the abilities computers can do. Some of the things they showed off were more software than hardware, but like the Get a Mac ads, it gets the point across.

The Gwen Stefani ad was pretty bad though. "People think you can just turn creativity on and off, but it's not like that." may be the music world's equivalent of "The internet is not a big truck."
MacBook Pro C2D 2.4GHz and a battle-scarred PowerBook G4 1.33GHz

"When you gaze long into a dead pixel, the dead pixes gazes also into you"
MacBook Pro C2D 2.4GHz and a battle-scarred PowerBook G4 1.33GHz

"When you gaze long into a dead pixel, the dead pixes gazes also into you"
post #140 of 146
On August 16, 2004 John C. Dvorak wrote an article titled "The Bottom 10: Worst Software Disasters". A Vista commercial was running next to the article, WOW.

Note Disaster numbers 1, 2,6, 7 and 10 (all relating to MS).

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1636333,00.asp

I don't think MS will be getting anyone with the name of BOB doing any Vista ads.
post #141 of 146
No need to be concerned Mac fans. Steve Ballmer and Microsoft still just don't get it. A comedian cannot hide the fact that Windows is a poor user experience.

There is a reason that the Macintosh OS growth is THREE TIMES the pc industry (Windows) average. It is because Apple puts the user first and strives to make the computer experience as positive as possible.

Microsoft doesn't know how to do that. They continue to design software in ways that are advantageous for them but put the burden on the user. Take those great "security" features in XP and Vista as just one example. How about all those Corporate IT departments that have banned Vista because of all the infrastructural changes it needs? And don't we all just want to rush out spend $600 for "fully featured" Vista instead of $129 for a rock solid OS X user experience? And just try to install Vista on your existing pc. Not to worry - Microsoft is not a leader - they are bumbling followers.

The Ads are a bad decision on Seinfeld's part - it is really going to hurt his reputation.

I haven't seen the Ads yet but I'm laughing already.

Joe
post #142 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCoolDaddio View Post

There is a reason that the Macintosh OS growth is THREE TIMES the pc industry (Windows) average.

In MS, Dell, and HP's defence, it's much easier to increase your sales percentage when you have a low marketshare.
post #143 of 146
Hey, for $10 million, I'd even use Vista
Hot tub blonde, pouring champagne: "Say when..." Dangerfield: "Right after this drink."
Hot tub blonde, pouring champagne: "Say when..." Dangerfield: "Right after this drink."
post #144 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by flemsha View Post

Or one of these:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3oYVV5v51s

Early on in the series, he had a Mac Plus or something but it switched to a more generic looking beige box.

I can understand why Microsoft would want Seinfeld but Seinfeld is a billionaire. Is $10 million really so much of a draw to risk damaging his reputation for good?

Inevitably the ads will compare to the Mac ones and if the comedy value is lower than the lesser comedic talents in them, Seinfeld has a long way to fall.

His comedy isn't particularly strong either - it's a lot of the 'did you ever notice' observational comedy routine. I can't see how that's going to fit into an ad for Vista.

What people will see is that Seinfeld had a Mac on his show, gets paid $10 million and promotes Vista. This makes him look like a complete sellout just like the celebs who go on ads for hair products. The prospect of Bill Gates appearing in the ad is even funnier. He looks like his mom still cuts his hair:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AP5VIhbJwFs

and he talks like Kermit the Frog or maybe the nerd off the Simpsons. Microsoft do the opposite of Apple and are all talk and no delivery, we'll see if that's the situation with the ads.
post #145 of 146
it has none.
post #146 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by ijoyner View Post

it has none.

Funny you should say that. I was just watching a Seinfeld episode and one of the scenes struck a chord:

SUSAN: I can tell you, I would never name my child Soda.
GEORGE: Oh, no no no. Course not. I got a great name for our kids. A
Real original. You wanna hear what it is? Huh, you ready?
SUSAN: Yeah.
George uses his finger to draw a number 7 in the air, accompanying the
Strokes of his digit with a two-tone whistle.
SUSAN: What is that? Sign language?
GEORGE: No, Seven.
SUSAN: Seven Costanza? You're serious?
GEORGE: Yeah. It's a beautiful name for a boy or a girl...
Susan scoffs.
GEORGE: ...especially a girl. Or a boy.
SUSAN: I don't think so.
GEORGE: What, you don't like the name?
SUSAN: It's not a name. It's a number.
GEORGE: I know. It's Mickey Mantle's number. So not only is it an all
Around beautiful name, it is also a living tribute.
SUSAN: It's awful. I hate it!
GEORGE: (angry) Well, that's the name!
SUSAN: (also angry) Oh no it is not! No child of mine is ever going to
be named Seven!
GEORGE: (yelling) Awright, let's just stay calm here! Don't get all
crazy on me!

[Jerry's Apartment]

Jerry walks from the bathroom, talking to George, who's just told him
about his contretemps with Susan.

JERRY: Seven? Yeah, I guess I could see it. Seven. Seven periods of
school, seven beatings a day. Roughly seven stitches a beating, and eventually
seven years to life. Yeah, you're doing that child quite a service.
GEORGE: (adamant) Yes I am. I defy you to come up with a better name
than Seven.
Jerry walks toward the kitchen. He sees an item on the counter.
JERRY: Awright, let's see. How about Mug? (picks up the mug) Mug
Costanza, that's original. (he turns and sees another item) Or uh, Ketchup?
Pretty name for a girl.
GEORGE: Alright, you having a good time there?
Jerry is in the kitchen, and opens a cupboard. His eyes run over the
array of good within.
JERRY: I got fifty right here in the cupboard. How about Bisquik?
Pimento. Gherkin. Sauce. Maxwell House.

[Restaurant]

George and Susan are having dinner.
GEORGE: Aw c'mon. It's a fantastic name. It's a real original, nobody
else is gonna have it and I absolutely love it.
SUSAN: Well, I dunno how original it's gonna be any more.
GEORGE: Why not?
SUSAN: Well I was telling Carrie about our argument, and when I told
them the name, they just loved it.
GEORGE: So, what're you saying?
SUSAN: They're gonna name their baby Seven.
GEORGE: (disbelief) What?! They're stealing the name?! That's my name,
I made it up!
SUSAN: I can't believe that they're using it.
GEORGE: (anger) Well now it's not gonna be original! It's gonna lose
all its cachet!
SUSAN: I dunno how much cachet it had to begin with.
GEORGE: (rage) Oh, it's got cachet, baby! It's got cachet up the
yin-yang!

I think Windows ketchup is more appropriate than Windows 7 too.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Microsoft taps Seinfeld to help battle Apple in new ad campaign