or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Microsoft taps Seinfeld to help battle Apple in new ad campaign

Microsoft taps Seinfeld to help battle Apple in new ad campaign - Page 2

post #41 of 146
So CP&B which is an all Mac shop is using an actor/comedian from a show that used a Mac as a prop for a Microsoft ad? Hmm.
post #42 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamewing View Post

I only wish I could be such a "has been" that makes 10 million dollars for a set of commercials. Oh the pain of being a has been.

The main character behind one of the most ethnically discriminatory TV series of all time, plus the world's biggest monopolist...sounds perfect to me...way to go downhill, guys!!!

iMac Intel 27" Core i7 3.4, 16GB RAM, 120GB SSD + 1TB HD + 4TB RAID 1+0, Nuforce Icon HDP, OS X 10.10.1; iPad Air 64GB; iPhone 5 32GB; iPod Classic; iPod Nano 4G; Apple TV 2.

iMac Intel 27" Core i7 3.4, 16GB RAM, 120GB SSD + 1TB HD + 4TB RAID 1+0, Nuforce Icon HDP, OS X 10.10.1; iPad Air 64GB; iPhone 5 32GB; iPod Classic; iPod Nano 4G; Apple TV 2.

post #43 of 146
Quote:

I only wish I could be such a "has been" that makes 10 million dollars for a set of commercials. Oh the pain of being a has been.

My point was-and it has been stated here elsewhere-these two do NOT target the appropriate market. It will be interesting to see how many Mac Books/Pros are sold to college students this year.

I just recently returned to Apple's world (18 months ago) after being lost in Windows for a long time. And Jerry Seinfield will in no way make me even consider going back. And the same is true for anyone under 35 years old-hell I am 40 and I never even watched the show about nothing.

Is he rich?-yes-that is good-good for him! But not current, and that is something M$ is in desperate need of.
post #44 of 146
It could burn your eyes like this one:

http://www.engadget.com/2008/04/16/m...a-promo-video/
If you want to call me names, tell me to shut up and f off...you will be ignored. I WILL NOT BE BULLIED!!
If you want to call me names, tell me to shut up and f off...you will be ignored. I WILL NOT BE BULLIED!!
post #45 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

... WiFi wont connect. It wont shut down correctly. Wont start up correctly...

That sounds like some of the problems people are having with OS X
bb
bb
post #46 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flounder View Post

You sure about that? I only remember macs. Maybe you thought it was a PC when he had a Mac LC?

As I recall it started out as original macs (512, Classic, SE) then some LCs, and a 20th anniversary Mac the final year of the show.

I recall a Windows 95 PC and at least one spoken reference to it by a character, but I could be wrong. Seinfeld was a *long* time ago now.

Seinfeld has moved to "the dark side" already though. He has shilled for HP and has been on stage with Gates before promoting Windows.
In Windows, a window can be a document, it can be an application, or it can be a window that contains other documents or applications. Theres just no consistency. Its just a big grab bag of monkey...
In Windows, a window can be a document, it can be an application, or it can be a window that contains other documents or applications. Theres just no consistency. Its just a big grab bag of monkey...
post #47 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Shea View Post

Jerry Seinfeld was paid $1 million per episode for "Seinfeld" during the show's final season. He continues to receive royalties from syndication. Does he need to work for Microsoft?

Also, it is a bit ironic that Seinfeld would plug Microsoft Windows given that a Macintosh was often seen inside his TV show apartment.

We can flip that around for an even bigger question...

Gates has made BILLIONS and BILLIONS with his sale of MS stock does he need to work .... at all?!

Dave
Apple Fanboy: Anyone who started liking Apple before I did!
post #48 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishspoon View Post

So CP&B which is an all Mac shop is using an actor/comedian from a show that used a Mac as a prop for a Microsoft ad? Hmm.

Reminds me of that Jeep commercial from a few years back (okay maybe a lot of years back)...

Scene top of a mountain with several business types pitching an AD to some car company... "Imagine as the camera pans across this beautiful horizon and stops to focus in on your SUV stilling atop this very majestic mountain plateau."

They all sigh a deep sigh...

One exec says yea but HOW are we going to get the SUVs up here? paused response Helicopter! Where everyone says excellent, excellent....

The AD ends where they all drive down from the mountain plateau in Jeeps....

Dave
post #49 of 146
Damn, why are you people so passionately angry about this? I like Apple too, but DAMN! They don't call it "The Cult of Mac" for nothing.

First off, you people who are making fun of Jerry are just jealous. I mean, come on! If you guys were offered $10 million to do a commercial for Microsoft (hell, let's go with TEN THOUSAND), you'd do it without even having to think about it! For ten million dollars, you'd streak through New York City with the Windows orb painted onto each of your butt cheeks.

Seinfeld's character owned Macs because Apple paid for the product placement, and now it's happening again with Microsoft, but outside of the show, and for a lot more money. Anybody who claims this is somehow "wrong" is clinically insane. You guys talk about this as if it's some kind of moral dilemma.

And to the guy who called Seinfeld's show "racially discriminating..." come on, dude. Seriously? One of the most memorable characters on the show was Jackie Stiles (Kramer's lawyer). And, BTW, the show (as well as Curb Your Enthusiasm) poked a lot of fun at people who like to play the race card at the drop of a hat. There was a whole episode about Costanza trying to prove to a coworker that he wasn't racist by being seen in public with black acquaintances. And in Curb, a black woman confronts Larry David (Seinfeld's co-creator) about what you're saying, and he's constantly trying to defend himself throughout the rest of the episode.

Stop thinking so hard about trivial things like Seinfeld doing little work for a lot of money and the ratio of Jews to blacks in his show; aren't there enough REAL problems in the world to focus on?

Damn!
post #50 of 146
Seinfeld?!? Are you kidding me, he's been off the air for 10 years. Unless MS plans to sell PCs to the 35+ demo, this won't get them far with Gen X.

Not sure who's brilliant idea Seinfeld was, but shame on CPB for allowing their client to sign the talent. CPB knows and can do much better.
post #51 of 146
Seinfeld had the first Macintosh in his apartment on his show the hole time.
And now this??? Not Gold Jerry Not Gold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Battered and bruised by a long-running advertising campaign on the part of rival Apple, Inc., Microsoft Corp. is turning to sitcom star and world renowned comedian Jerry Seinfeld to help clean up the public perception of its Windows Vista operating system.

Citing "people close to the situation," the Wall Street Journal reports that the Redmond-based software giant will pay Seinfeld a cool $10 million to serve as a pitchman alongside company chairman Bill Gates in a new series of ads that will begin airing on September 4th.

The ads will use some variation of the slogan "Windows, Not Walls," according to the report, and "stress breaking down barriers that prevent people and ideas from connecting." They'll be just one part of a much broader $300 million campaign, however, which is said to be one of the largest in Microsoft's history.

Over the past two years, Apple has used series of international ads to attack the shortcomings of Microsoft's latest operating system, Vista, while highlighting the strengths of its own Mac platform. The ads feature staid and witless PC character who's constantly outclassed by a hipster Mac guy.

Although Microsoft has contested the ads, claiming they portray Vista unfairly, the company has also recognized the recent progress of Apple, which has seen its PC sales growth rate soar to three times that of the overall industry.

"In the competition between PCs and Macs, we outsell Apple 30-to-1. But there is no doubt that Apple is thriving," Microsoft chief executive Steve Ballmer wrote in the email to employees last month. "Why? Because they are good at providing an experience that is narrow but complete, while our commitment to choice often comes with some compromises to the end-to-end experience."

Going forward, Ballmer said Microsoft will be changing the way it works with hardware vendors to mimic the experience offered by the Mac maker in which there will be "absolutely no compromises." As a first order of business, Ballmer promised to begin mending the image of Vista now that the release of SP1 has largely addressed a number of compatibility issues that plagued the software in its early going.

"Now its time to tell our story," he told employees. "In the weeks ahead, well launch a campaign to address any lingering doubts our customers may have about Windows Vista. And later this year, youll see a more comprehensive effort to redefine the meaning and value of Windows for our customers."

According to the Journal, Microsoft also considered a range of other famous personalities for the role ultimately retained by Seinfeld, such as comedians Will Ferrell and Chris Rock.

The upcoming campaign is to be "the brainchild of Crispin Porter + Bogusky, a Miami-based ad shop that has helped revitalize brands such as Burger King."

Ironically, the computers featured in the 9-year situation comedy Seinfeld, for which the comedian payed a semi-fictional version of himself, were always Macs.
post #52 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

Then they get it home and that when the fun starts. WiFi wont connect. It wont shut down correctly. Wont start up correctly. Wont run your programs.

What a load of crap.

I just got into Apple recently, because I bought an iPhone (which is excellent). I've been doing some iPhone development, so I bought a Mac. It's the first time I've ever used one.

I've now used it for 3 weeks doing development, and Mac OS has nothing on Vista. There is simply not one feature that Mac OS has that is lacking from Vista. There are plenty of things that are lacking from Mac OS however.

Vista, when installed on new hardware, simply doesn't have these problems you mention, and I have done plenty of installs on plenty of PC's. It runs wifi without a problem, never has trouble booting or shuting down (or hibernating etc) and has no problems running any of my programs (most of which are unavailable on Mac).

You fan boys have to have a reality check.
post #53 of 146
Spoken like a lifetime Windows acolyte with nearly 3 weeks of Mac ownership under his belt.

Here's a Mac-only feature you may have missed: Since you're only using Mac for iPhone development and are an experienced Windows installer, why not install Vista on your new Mac and run both at the same time? (It's a "have cake AND eat it" scenario). I'll bet you a new PC of your choice you haven't done that on a WIndows Vista PC, brand new or otherwise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutcho View Post

What a load of crap.

I just got into Apple recently, because I bought an iPhone (which is excellent). I've been doing some iPhone development, so I bought a Mac. It's the first time I've ever used one.

I've now used it for 3 weeks doing development, and Mac OS has nothing on Vista. There is simply not one feature that Mac OS has that is lacking from Vista. There are plenty of things that are lacking from Mac OS however.

Vista, when installed on new hardware, simply doesn't have these problems you mention, and I have done plenty of installs on plenty of PC's. It runs wifi without a problem, never has trouble booting or shuting down (or hibernating etc) and has no problems running any of my programs (most of which are unavailable on Mac).

You fan boys have to have a reality check.
post #54 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

Cool! Maybe they can follow up with a Zune ad with Elaine.

OR...

Make an ad with "The Soup Nazi" and replace his famous phrase of "No soup for you!" with 'No Vista OS updated drivers for you!'

or

'No "insert your own thought here" for you!

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

post #55 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

This is serious. Jobs needs to lock up Wayne Knight (the guy who played Newman) ASAP

I'm with you... it just makes sense to put Newman in a Mac vs. PC ad. Make him be a celebrity that "PC" brings in to be his spokes person, and have the ad basically say that who sings the part of the song and dance doesn't change the dance.
I love it.
post #56 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by amac4me View Post

So will Kramer (Michael Richards) use one his famous violent bursts through Jerry's apartment door during the Ads?

Oh wait, perhaps he'll go on a tirade and start telling Gates how Vista sucks?

Oh Yea and then he should also mumble the part that VISTA really stands for Viruses Inevitable Stick To Apple

VISTA = Viruses Inevitable Stick To Apple
repeat after me ..thats the story Jerry
post #57 of 146
And what's all this about Seinfeld only appealing to the "35+" demographic? I'm 21 years old, and I've been a Seinfeld fan for years. Now, it's POSSIBLE that I'm a rare case (I am in the business, after all), and some of my peers outside of LA have actually teased me about liking what they consider a show "for old people," but I honestly don't think I'm among the minority. I remember my friends talking about Seinfeld back in the seventh grade- long before I started watching it myself.

I wouldn't discredit the whole Seinfeld idea. Could they have chosen somebody more relevant? Yeah, of course they could have. People like Ben Stiller come to mind. But I do think it's bit premature to call Seinfeld a "has-been."

Perhaps they'll liken Vista to Seinfeld in the sense that, initially, Seinfeld looked like it wasn't going to make it, and then it became known to many people as the best TV show of all time? I'm not saying I agree with that (I pretty much hate Vista), but that might trick some people into believing Microsoft.
post #58 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

OR...

Make an ad with "The Soup Nazi" and replace his famous phrase of "No soup for you!" with 'No Vista OS updated drivers for you!'

I was thinking they would bring in the Soup Nazi when they finally end support for XP.

"NO XP FOR YOU!"
post #59 of 146
In more recent news: Microsoft hires T-Rex from Jurassic Park to introduce their next generation Windows 7.
In exchange the T-Rex was promised to be fed the Zune developers.
bb
bb
post #60 of 146
They think the problem is that their "story" isn't getting through? Are you kidding me! The problem is not that the message is being lost. People have had plenty of experience with Windows and know all too well what it is about. MS is thinking that if they could just get the word out that Vista is great, that people will believe it. WRONG!

Also, I love how they are trying to say that the reason their end product is mediocre, is because it tries to do too much.

TechnoMinds

We are a Montreal based technology company that offers a variety of tech services such as tech support for Apple products, Drupal based website development, computer training and iCloud...

TechnoMinds

We are a Montreal based technology company that offers a variety of tech services such as tech support for Apple products, Drupal based website development, computer training and iCloud...

post #61 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by cactus_man View Post

Damn, why are you people so passionately angry about this?

They're not. They are having fun, and I don't see all that much passion or anger in this thread. Perhaps you're seeing what you want to see instead of what is actually there? You are, for example, the only user of the word "damn" so far.

Quote:
First off, you people who are making fun of Jerry are just jealous.

Jealous of his money? Sure. Of him? Not so much. Honestly, I never found him nearly as funny as he thought he was. Only saw maybe 10 of his shows 'cos they simply never kept my attention or made me chuckle much. Therefore, it's not really a question of jealousy, it's one of being dubious of Microsoft's selection. We're allowed to question Microsoft's moves just as we're allowed to question Apple's. Again, perhaps it's you who is projecting--you cannot understand why we're not in complete awe of Seinfeld's $10 million contract and think that discounts any critique of him or Microsoft. Problem is, it's unclear how that logically follows.

Quote:
Seinfeld's character owned Macs because Apple paid for the product placement...Anybody who claims this is somehow "wrong" is clinically insane. You guys talk about this as if it's some kind of moral dilemma.

It's certainly ironic--you can't deny that. And you are skipping the part where he was featured in one of Apple's "Think Different" ads. That actually does border on a moral dilemma, because he accepted a part in a serious-themed production in which he lent his persona to a "I don't follow the mainstream" claim. Now he's selling himself to the mainstream for $10 million. If that is not a moral dilemma, then it's pretty self-disparaging of him and does, in my eyes, diminish him. And I doubt I'm alone. But you appear to put money above all else, so to your value set if someone is paid for doing something, all other considerations become secondary. We'll just have to agree to disagree on this point.
post #62 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktappe View Post

They're not. They are having fun, and I don't see all that much passion or anger in this thread. Perhaps you're seeing what you want to see instead of what is actually there? You are, for example, the only user of the word "damn" so far.

Jealous of his money? Sure. Of him? Not so much. Honestly, I never found him nearly as funny as he thought he was. Only saw maybe 10 of his shows 'cos they simply never kept my attention or made me chuckle much. Therefore, it's not really a question of jealousy, it's one of being dubious of Microsoft's selection. We're allowed to question Microsoft's moves just as we're allowed to question Apple's. Again, perhaps it's you who is projecting--you cannot understand why we're not in complete awe of Seinfeld's $10 million contract and think that discounts any critique of him or Microsoft. Problem is, it's unclear how that logically follows.

It's certainly ironic--you can't deny that. And you are skipping the part where he was featured in one of Apple's "Think Different" ads. That actually does border on a moral dilemma, because he accepted a part in a serious-themed production in which he lent his persona to a "I don't follow the mainstream" claim. Now he's selling himself to the mainstream for $10 million. If that is not a moral dilemma, then it's pretty self-disparaging of him and does, in my eyes, diminish him. And I doubt I'm alone. But you appear to put money above all else, so to your value set if someone is paid for doing something, all other considerations become secondary. We'll just have to agree to disagree on this point.

Well said!

TechnoMinds

TechnoMinds

post #63 of 146
Apple should hire Jerry Lewis.
Maybe then the French will buy more iPhones.
post #64 of 146
Quote:

Vista, when installed on new hardware, simply doesn't have these problems

Nice caveat. So the moment Microsoft comes out with a new OS, you're stuck buying a new PC? Personally, I'm glad Apple has no such requirements--I'm running Leopard on Macs that are four years old with zero problems. Hopefully this is an advantage to the Mac world that you and your wallet will appreciate in coming years.
post #65 of 146
post #66 of 146
Quote:

Hey, if you can find a company dumb enough to pay that much for someone the public no longer cares about, you take their money.

So he's a has been who can still get companies to give him a truckload of money...but that doesn't make him any less of a has been.

Quote:

Damn, why are you people so passionately angry about this?

We're not, you seem to be the one angry about it.

People think MS made a dumb pick for their campaign. We're on a message board, why shouldn't people express their opinions?
post #67 of 146
YEAH !! That is really the microsoft way !!!
Instead of taking the money to build a complete new and stunning OS, they take the money to make us believe that vista is not as bad as it really is. Whoohoo !!

omg...

But hey, I would tell anyone VISTA is great if Microsoft pays me ten million dollars. Hello Mr Gates, are you interested. I could buy me some nice new macs for the money...
post #68 of 146
Seinfeld's last new episode aired in May 1998 in the US. That is over a decade ago. I know the series is still poular in syndication but it's still a good 8 years too late.

Perhaps Jack Bauer would be a better match.
"24: The Unaired Pilot' (1994) (funny video)
Quote:
Originally Posted by amac4me View Post

So will Kramer (Michael Richards) use one his famous violent bursts through Jerry's apartment door during the Ads? Oh wait, perhaps he'll go on a tirade and start telling Gates how Vista sucks?

And rob Ballmer of his famous outbursts? I think not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

Anyone one here savvy enough to turn this animated gif into an iPod ad?
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #69 of 146
So now Microsoft is hiring a cliche comedian to advertise their cliche company!? What a mistake this will be! Sure Seinfeld's show was good, but does he really want to be typecast as the poster boy for a failing trend as well? Looks like things for Microsoft will only get worse!
post #70 of 146
Apple should quickly hire Jason Alexander (aka George Costanza) and replace John Hodgman to be the new PC guy!!! Could you imagine the series of counter-ads to Microsoft?

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #71 of 146
"breaking down barriers that prevent people and ideas from connecting."

What the hell does that mean in the context of an OS?
post #72 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by zanshin View Post

Spoken like a lifetime Windows acolyte with nearly 3 weeks of Mac ownership under his belt.

Here's a Mac-only feature you may have missed: Since you're only using Mac for iPhone development and are an experienced Windows installer, why not install Vista on your new Mac and run both at the same time? (It's a "have cake AND eat it" scenario). I'll bet you a new PC of your choice you haven't done that on a WIndows Vista PC, brand new or otherwise.

And how much time have you spent on Vista? I have seen so many lies brandished here. People talking about the "Blue screen of death" and such things, which haven't happened since Windows 98. My Vista (or XP) for that matter have never crashed on me in that manner.

As to your other point, I would be able to install Mac OS on my PC if Apple weren't so restrictive and closed off. As it is, I was forced by them to spend 500 euros on hardware I don't even need! Luckily for Mac people, Microsoft do not take this stance, so you're able to run Vista or XP on your machines.

Apple's control freak, "do what you're told" attitude makes them far worse than Microsoft in my opinion in the ethical stakes. They constantly take consumers for a ride (more examples being iPhone lock down and carrier monopolies), which I can understand because they are a corporation and will get away with whatever they can.

What really gets to me though are all the Apple Fan Boys that defend them for doing it! Seriously, you people need to get a grip on the propaganda you are spreading.
post #73 of 146
Quote:

And how much time have you spent on Vista? I have seen so many lies brandished here. People talking about the "Blue screen of death" and such things, which haven't happened since Windows 98. My Vista (or XP) for that matter have never crashed on me in that manner.

As to your other point, I would be able to install Mac OS on my PC if Apple weren't so restrictive and closed off. As it is, I was forced by them to spend 500 euros on hardware I don't even need! Luckily for Mac people, Microsoft do not take this stance, so you're able to run Vista or XP on your machines.

Apple's control freak, "do what you're told" attitude makes them far worse than Microsoft in my opinion in the ethical stakes. They constantly take consumers for a ride (more examples being iPhone lock down and carrier monopolies), which I can understand because they are a corporation and will get away with whatever they can.

What really gets to me though are all the Apple Fan Boys that defend them for doing it! Seriously, you people need to get a grip on the propaganda you are spreading.

This comes down to basic questions... Do you think that if you have a way of acquiring something without paying for it, should it be free? Do you believe corporations are inherently 'evil'? Are you now, or have you ever been a Communist?

Buh-bye.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #74 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktappe View Post

Maybe you're just having fun, but it seems like some of these guys are genuinely angry at Jerry. But that's just my interpretation; it's not always easy to judge a person's tone when the words are in writing.

Like I said in my second post, I do agree that Microsoft could have picked somebody a bit more relevant. However, I don't understand where people are coming from when they label Microsoft's decision as "insane," or at least I didn't until you mentioned the "Think Different" ads. While I did find it ironic (and kinda funny) how Seinfeld had Macs in the show and is now going to advertise for Windows, I didn't realize he'd starred in a "Think Different" ad. (I guess THAT was before my time.)

But, while this is certainly a conflict of interests (what the hell is Microsoft thinking?), I still don't see it as a moral dilemma. This is ADVERTISING we're talking about! You can't seriously expect Jerry to refuse $10 million to advertise for an operating system. IT'S JUST AN OPERATING SYSTEM! If he were in a government ad defending Guantanamo, that would be a different matter entirely, but an operating system? Who cares?!? It's not like anybody is actually going to believe that he's some big Windows fan, except for all the stupid people. Anybody with half a brain is going to recognize the fact that Jerry is doing what he always does- he's ACTING. That's all. Even if he meant what he said about "not following the mainstream," I think that only applied to life, not advertisements. And one could argue that, with Vista's extreme unpopularity, it's NOT the mainstream. (Just playing devil's advocate.)

If Tom Cruise were to play an atheist in a film, would that mean he's betrayed Scientology? According to the Scientologists, probably. But in principle, EVERYBODY would recognize the fact that he's just pretending. And Tom would expect us to know that, without even having to say anything.

I know that was WAY too wordy, but I think I made my point towards the end...
post #75 of 146
Quote:

Actually, as somebody who's been defending Jerry and Microsoft through all this, I've gotta say that Vista does suck, and that I DO own it. Granted, Boot Camp limits you to only 2 GB of RAM, which hurts performance, but the fact of the matter is that you shouldn't NEED 2 GB of RAM to run nothing more than a web browser (which is often enough to make it freeze for minutes at a time).

Just in case you can't get over the Boot Camp thing, XP gave me nothing but problems as well. At school, we only had Windows PC's, and they'd routinely crash while running Photoshop. I mean, seriously- it would happen every day. It was unbelievable. And the family PC, which ran XP, constantly ran into "illegal operation" messages. (Which, I must admit, no longer seem to be a problem in Vista. That only took them 13 years to address.)

In fact, XP was the reason I switched to a Mac. Until then, I'd actually been a big Windows fan. I absolutely loved Windows 95, and I kinda miss it to this day. It NEVER crashed (I didn't even know what the blue screen looked like until the XP era), it had a very logical interface, and it was rock solid. Even though our NEC only had 8 MB of RAM (!), it was capable of handling applications that supposedly required 32 MB, and without any difficulty! Compare that to XP and Vista, which can't manage applications requiring only a fraction of their resources, and perhaps you can understand why I jumped ship after the release of XP.
post #76 of 146
post #77 of 146
Quote:

And what's all this about Seinfeld only appealing to the "35+" demographic? I'm 21 years old, and I've been a Seinfeld fan for years. Now, it's POSSIBLE that I'm a rare case (I am in the business, after all), and some of my peers outside of LA have actually teased me about liking what they consider a show "for old people," but I honestly don't think I'm among the minority. I remember my friends talking about Seinfeld back in the seventh grade- long before I started watching it myself.

I wouldn't discredit the whole Seinfeld idea. Could they have chosen somebody more relevant? Yeah, of course they could have. People like Ben Stiller come to mind. But I do think it's bit premature to call Seinfeld a "has-been."

Perhaps they'll liken Vista to Seinfeld in the sense that, initially, Seinfeld looked like it wasn't going to make it, and then it became known to many people as the best TV show of all time? I'm not saying I agree with that (I pretty much hate Vista), but that might trick some people into believing Microsoft.

Everyone knows what Seinfeld is and a big majority love them. That goes for everyone 17+ that I know. This commercial might be bad news for Apple I think =S
post #78 of 146
Quote:

So this is why you're developing for the iPhone and not Windows Mobile? Mkay.

For the record, I'm a .net developer. There's nothing off the top of my head that's "missing" when I'm in OSX. The one thing that XP/Vista is lacking is teh snappy. That's because of all the crap IT installs to keep it safe.

Mmm...what am I missing....oh games. That's what bootcamp is for. That and entourage sucks for me.
post #79 of 146
Hutcho,

I thought Windows 95 while a pain in my ass to install on the multiple Compaq laptops we had at the time was A-Ok once it was configured properly.

I owned a Windows 2000 Professional installed Dell laptop that I absolutely loved. The Dell was junk, but 2000 rocked from a stability standpoint...best OS M$ has ever made, and definitely top two overall.

XP is junk, but less so with SP2 on it.

Vista is so slow it makes snails seem fast.

For many years, even while I still owned Macs, I would never tell my family members to buy them. As such we still have a retired PC that if I pulled it down from the attic would but into glorious (NOT!!!!!) Windows Me (the absolute worst Windows, ever).

NT, while not so well supported by developers, rocked! So did 2000 server and so those 2003 sever.

Exchange is really really great!

Yet, nothing M$ has done is as good as what Apple has been doing since 10.4 came out. As such, now all my family and most of our offices are Mac-based. And it is the best decision because it is an informed one.

To say that OSX has nothing on Vista and that we don't know what we are talking about is simply dumb, moronic and full of bitterness.

You simply need to STFU and sell your Mac. Believe me nobody will miss your lack of disses when you are an happy user of only Windows.
post #80 of 146
What's the big deal? Why would anyone care about this? Celebrity is so stupid as are the people who encourage it.
Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Microsoft taps Seinfeld to help battle Apple in new ad campaign