or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Digg founder claims knowledge of 4G iPod nano, iTunes 8.0

Digg founder claims knowledge of 4G iPod nano, iTunes 8.0

post #1 of 92
Digg creator Kevin Rose says he knows many details of Apple's iPod revisions for September, including what appears to be a photo of the fourth-generation iPod nano and a teaser for information of iTunes 8.0.

A nighttime blog post by Rose asserts that a "significant redesign" of the iPod nano will spearhead a series of changes to the whole iPod line that should take place within the next two to three weeks.

The fourth iteration in as many years would have the previously rumored tall screen but would resemble an unusual blend between the second-generation iPod nano and the tapered design of the MacBook Air. The skin would have aluminum at front and back but resemble a 'pinched' oval. Changing the design would require a curved transparent cover over the LCD.

An accompanying but unverified photo (seen below) matches the description.

Most other changes receive far less detail in Rose's rumor. The iPod touch would allegedly receive "small cosmetic changes" but would mainly be defined by the 2.1 software update, which adds background push notification for instant messaging and similar apps. The iPod would receive the update first and leave the iPhone to receive the update at an unspecified later time.

No details are supplied about changes to the iPod classic and iPod shuffle, though the latter in recent weeks was rumored to get a 4GB upgrade with a modest redesign of its own.

Alleged photo from Kevin Rose of a fourth-generation iPod nano.

What Rose does suggest, however, is a radical restructuring of Apple's pricing strategy Apple is purportedly eager to have its iPods "get away" from the iPhone 3G's $199 price tag as much as possible and, if true, would implement "fairly large" price cuts to make the differences more apparent and prevent iPhones from cannibalizing iPod sales. While not directly supported by evidence, the rumor gains indirect support from Apple's warning to investors that an unnamed "product transition" would take place before the end of September that drops its gross margins from nearly 35 percent to 30 percent and that cost would be key.

An instrumental component of these updates would be iTunes 8.0, which Rose doesn't have details on other than to hint that it would "deserve" the new revision number.

For all the apparent detail, though, readers should take the report with caution. Rose's history of Apple rumors is known to wildly vary in accuracy: while he earned most of his reputation for an accurate leak of iPod nano details before its release in 2005, he has also shot wide of the mark with predictions of a CDMA iPhone and this year was convinced the 3G-capable iPhone would have a front video camera.

Potentially casting doubt on this latest rumor is a claim tacked on at the end that Mac OS X 10.5.6 will add Blu-ray support to the operating system. While many have long assumed Apple's role in the Blu-ray Disc Association would eventually lead to Macs with support for the HD video medium, knowledge of the Mac OS X update roadmap beyond beta releases (currently 10.5.5) is often limited to Apple.

post #2 of 92
Most likely iTunes 8.0 would have a major UI update. iTunes has needed one for some time.

I'm sure 8.0 will be portable enough to include on the iPhone and Touch, due to Apple's project to reduce file sizes of its OS and major apps.

You can expect iTunes 8.0 to take full advantage of a new release of QuickTime. iTunes will not be released without the new version of QuickTime.
post #3 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

Most likely iTunes 8.0 would have a major UI update. iTunes has needed one for some time.

I'm sure 8.0 will be portable enough to include on the iPhone and Touch, due to Apple's project to reduce file sizes of its OS and major apps.

You can expect iTunes 8.0 to take full advantage of a new release of QuickTime. iTunes will not be released without the new version of QuickTime.

New Quicktime- ? Does that mean new Quicktime Pro will have to purchased to replace the old one?
post #4 of 92
I think the current nano is perfection in its size and format as a music player. My advice? Keep the music player small, let the Touch or similar device bridge people into video. There are lots of people that want a perfect music player, or a perfect video/app device... there are too many ways to screw up trying to do both...

I'd make a wee Touch the same size (or smaller) as the current Nano. That would be cool.
post #5 of 92
Yes, from the photo is looks like it is no longer nano, i.e. small. But it is hard to tell scale from a photo.
post #6 of 92
Regardless of the veracity of Rose's statements, I wonder how long Apple intends to maintain iPod OS alongside OS X Touch. The iPod shuffle can stay the way it is with little physical tweaks to accommodate changes in storage technology. The iPod nano and iPod classic are the real curiosities. There is still brand power behind the form factor of the iPod as we've known it.

The price points will be forced to drop, which makes me wonder what will happen to the iPod classic. I would imagine Apple wants to push the iPod touch. In spite of its lower storage capacity, it uses OS X Touch and has access to most of the goodies available to iPhone/iPhone 3G users. Even though the true cost of ownership of the iPhone 3G is beyond the $199 and $299 price tags, any new iPod touch would need to be placed at just the right spot -- probably $149 for 8GB (maybe 16GB) and $249 for 16GB (maybe 32GB).

My predictions for the Holiday 2008 line:

4GB iPod shuffle -- $49
8GB iPod nano -- $99
16GB iPod touch -- $149
32GB iPod touch -- $249
8GB iPhone 3G -- $199 (conditional, add phone service)
16GB iPhone 3G -- $299 (conditional, add phone service)

I have no idea if the iPod classic will be there at all. I think they'd rather shift any manufacturing of the iPod classic to iPod touch.
post #7 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrel_Monkey View Post

My predictions for the Holiday 2008 line:

4GB iPod shuffle -- $49
8GB iPod nano -- $99
16GB iPod touch -- $149
32GB iPod touch -- $249

It'll be aggressive, but not quite that aggressive. And you're forgetting the 16GB Nano

4GB iPod shuffle -- $49

8GB iPod nano -- $99
16GB iPod nano -- $149

16GB iPod touch -- $199
32GB iPod touch -- $299

8GB iPhone 3G -- $199
16GB iPhone 3G -- $299

iPod Classic 80GB -- EOL
iPod Classic 160GB -- $299

This way the iPod Touch and iPhones have the same price points but with double the capacity for the touches. There's also a $50 upsell for the same 16GB capacity from the nano to the touch features. Also the 80GB Classic is killed off and the 160GB brought down to $299, getting the entire iPod line under $300 for the first time ever.
Attention Internet Users!

"it's" contraction of "it is"
"its" possessive form of the pronoun "it".

It's shameful how grammar on the Internet is losing its accuracy.

post #8 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrel_Monkey View Post

8GB iPod nano -- $99
16GB iPod touch -- $149
32GB iPod touch -- $249

The iPhone is subsidized, I don't see how anyone would expect the iPod Touch to be cheaper then the phone. They are not going to cut the price in half on the iPod Touch. I expect just a $100 price drop on them.

The only thing I don't like about my ex iPod Touch (now iPhone) is the inability to change the volume and skip to the next track while not looking. I am not sure what apple will do to alleviate this problem, some physical buttons would be nice. And how about a clunky 160GB HDD iPod Touch for those who really want the space?
post #9 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by reallynotnick View Post

The iPhone is subsidized, I don't see how anyone would expect the iPod Touch to be cheaper then the phone. They are not going to cut the price in half on the iPod Touch. I expect just a $100 price drop on them.

The only thing I don't like about my ex iPod Touch (now iPhone) is the inability to change the volume and skip to the next track while not looking. I am not sure what apple will do to alleviate this problem, some physical buttons would be nice. And how about a clunky 160GB HDD iPod Touch for those who really want the space?

Absolutely agree about the need for physical buttons or keys for some operations. They need to find a better balance for hands-only operation of these devices. A volume dial operable by thumb would do wonders.

On another note... Rose is an idiot. I wouldn't put too much weight behind his rumor-mongering.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #10 of 92
It's only logical that Apple drop prices across the iPod line given the state of competition and the price of the iPhone. It's a perception issue now that iPods (such as the Touch) are not much cheaper than the iPhone.

Perhaps this is the "product transition" that Apple's CFO was referring to in the last earnings call.
post #11 of 92
That mock up won't happen. A curved display cover introduces too many issues. A tappered back panel and landscape mode for video sound plausible. If landcape video happens Apple would need a clickwheel with varying images for the correct rotation. A patent from January may be an indication of this. They don't need an accelorometer as it could default to change only with video, but if they do include one it could elimante the need for Nike+ HW (unless using your shoe is more accurate ).
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #12 of 92
Rose was wrong before, twice. I ain't believing anything until Apple releases them.

As for iTunes, it needs books and a standard "Apple" book reader for the devices. (not separate book apps via the App store, but a whole separate thing). Book Reader.app & Book Store.app

And built in lyrics support. As for the look of iTunes, meh.. that would be a bonus I guess.

Nano:

No home screen = no home button.
Play and pause of music has a physical button still.
And to go next track double-tap the play/pause button.

As for scrolling lists, it's obvious.
And... physical volume buttons.

But, that would be too intelligent and idea, wouldn't it.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #13 of 92
Of course 10.5.6 will support BD playback, because I broke down six weeks ago and ordered a 24" iMac that only supports DVD. I would've gladly shelled out another couple hundred bucks for an internal BD-burner. At least I could get an external model.
post #14 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by reallynotnick View Post

The iPhone is subsidized, I don't see how anyone would expect the iPod Touch to be cheaper then the phone.

Because people are stupid.

Initial purchase price is the only thing consumers care about. If they cared about TCO, then everyone would use Macs.

"Why does this iPod Touch thing cost more than the iPhone? I mean it's not even a phone, but it costs more?"

post #15 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Absolutely agree about the need for physical buttons or keys for some operations. They need to find a better balance for hands-only operation of these devices. A volume dial operable by thumb would do wonders.

On another note... Rose is an idiot. I wouldn't put too much weight behind his rumor-mongering.

The raised physical buttons, as well as the small size, make the Shuffle the perfect iPod for my workouts.

I have to agree about Rose. He's been right about some things, but the dual battery prediction seemmed so unbelievable that I think he is willing to post just about anything he hears.

PS: v2.0.2 still has not fixed my keyboard slowness and Safari crashing when typing replies on AI. I'm glad v2.1 isn't too far off.
post #16 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

If landcape video happens Apple would need a clickwheel with varying images for the correct rotation..

Where does this assumption come from? The clickwheel stays vertically oriented for interacting with the portrait navigation. When you select video you simply turn the iPod on its side for viewing. No further interaction with the clickwheel is necessary until you go back to the menu. No need for the clickwheel to rotate.

post #17 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ensign Pulver View Post

Where does this assumption come from? The clickwheel stays vertically oriented for interacting with the portrait navigation. When you select video you simply turn the iPod on its side for viewing. No further interaction with the clickwheel is necessary until you go back to the menu. No need for the clickwheel to rotate.

if in landvape mode watching a video how do I adjust the volume or FF or RW? What was up and down is now left and right on the clickwheel. I wouldn't call that a user friendly solution. If the lighted image on the clickwheel and input signal moved to account for this rotation then their wouldn't be an issue.
post #18 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich

At least there's some sensible people roaming these forums.
post #19 of 92
Quote:

That mock up won't happen. A curved display cover introduces too many issues. A tappered back panel and landscape mode for video sound plausible. If landcape video happens Apple would need a clickwheel with varying images for the correct rotation. A patent from January may be an indication of this. They don't need an accelorometer as it could default to change only with video, but if they do include one it could elimante the need for Nike+ HW (unless using your shoe is more accurate ).

I could not agree with you more. Apple is not going to make a stupid error such as a stationary click wheel when the screen is landscape. As always, there may be SOME truth to this photo, but photo is NOT the new nano.

PS. For the very reason Rose is putting himself out there and not fearing backlash, I think Rose is helping apple on this post. Apple has been known to release fake information to get us all distracted.
post #20 of 92
Quote:

4GB iPod shuffle -- $49

8GB iPod nano -- $99
16GB iPod nano -- $149

16GB iPod touch -- $199
32GB iPod touch -- $299

8GB iPhone 3G -- $199
16GB iPhone 3G -- $299

iPod Classic 80GB -- EOL
iPod Classic 160GB -- $299

Okay, I can go along with that. I also agree with the other poster who disagreed with me because the iPhone's subsidized price shouldn't be used to cut back on the iPod touch. Putting the iPhone 3G and iPod touch on the same price points makes more sense.

But I think a $99 iPod nano is a given at this point. There's really no room for it otherwise. Also another given for the same reason is the single offering for the iPod shuffle. These price points almost push the iPod shuffle out of the picture altogether, but I know people are buying them. Heck, some are buying them to supplement their existing larger iPods and iPhones.

I'm at best on the fence about the iPod classic remaining in the line, despite the ease of just cramming it with yet another large spinning hard drive. I don't know if there's been any news of Apple suddenly backing away from purchasing the small hard drives. I suppose Apple can still get cash from those who want a really dense iPod, but whoever buys such a device won't have access to all of the toys in the OS X Touch space.
post #21 of 92
I wonder if the new nano will have an OLED screen. If so, that'd be a first for Apple. Would that be too expensive? Dunno. No backlight, better battery life.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDuP8PtDJbE
post #22 of 92
Quote:

Initial purchase price is the only thing consumers care about. If they cared about TCO, then everyone would use Macs.

"Why does this iPod Touch thing cost more than the iPhone? I mean it's not even a phone, but it costs more?"

Yes, most people don't FEEL the cost of the contract (even if they intellectually get it). I'm kind of surprised Apple doesn't offer a cheaper iPod Touch if you commit to purchasing MobileMe.

Anyway - I think this rumour is bogus. It might not be, but I remember past rumours from Kevin Rose which had no substance, and I can't remember rumours which had substance. It was like he (or his source) made an intelligent guess, gave it specifics, and pushed it as fact.
post #23 of 92
Did Rose get anything right the last time he predicted things about an Apple product?
post #24 of 92
Please give the great sound of the 1G back to the Shuffle.
post #25 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Did Rose get anything right the last time he predicted things about an Apple product?

I think he got some things right, but no more than you or I would get (or your average message poster on these boards), certainly not as good as official AI rumours!!.
post #26 of 92
My predictions:

Redesigned iPod Shuffle with small screen
2g for $49
4g for $69

Redesigned Nano with tall form-factor
8g for $149
16g for $199

Same Touch with more external buttons
8g for 199
16g for 299
32g for 399

Same Classic but at $199 and $299 price points
post #27 of 92
Quote:
…the 2.1 software update, which adds background push notification…

Push notification support was pulled from the latest iPhone OS 2.1 seed, most likely to focus on general QA, which has been a very serious problem with 2.0 so far (including 2.0.1 and 2.0.2). As a result, push notifications might not be included in 2.1.

Quite frankly, the iPhone 2.0 platform is extremely unreliable and suffering from many serious problems, and should never have been released in its current state, so I would welcome an update that focuses exclusively on QA.

Anyone who hasn't had to restore their iPhone/iPod at least once since 2.0, and has never lost application data when installing app updates, raise your hand...

*crickets*

That's what I thought.
post #28 of 92
How about adding a top of the line (slightly fatter) iPod Touch which includes a 160 gig HD instead of solid state media. Now all the folks who need massive storage to carry their entire libraries also gain the Touch/OS X/Apps/iTunes benefits?

My very first post to AppleInsider!
post #29 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormchild View Post

Anyone who hasn't had to restore their iPhone/iPod at least once since 2.0, and has never lost application data when installing app updates, raise your hand...

*crickets*

That's what I thought.

Both my hands are raised.

Other than a continued slight hang in opening some apps sometimes, the V2 has worked as superbly for me as V1.
post #30 of 92
Welcome alexanderodood

As reallynotnick also mentioned above, a large capacity Touch would be welcomed by many if the price were right. The current sizes hold me back from upgrading my 80GB iPod Video

3.4 GHz i7 iMac | 64GB iPhone 5 | 64GB iPad 3 | 16GB iPad mini

3.4 GHz i7 iMac | 64GB iPhone 5 | 64GB iPad 3 | 16GB iPad mini

post #31 of 92
That mockup (in the original post) is one of the most ridiculous mockups I've seen in a while.

Apple would never release something so hideous.

Quote:

I'm almost there... only 1Password loses data whenever I update it (and I guess that is a huge issue with that program). Haven't had to restore once, though. All the other people I know who use 2.0 haven't had to restore a single time but they don't do anything near what I do with the phone, so that is a little less surprising.
The true measure of a man is how he treats someone that can do him absolutely no good.
  Samuel Johnson
The true measure of a man is how he treats someone that can do him absolutely no good.
  Samuel Johnson
post #32 of 92
Quote:

*crickets*

That's what I thought.

That's more than a bit presumptuous. Even if a given problem is widespread, it doesn't mean that everyone is experiencing it. I haven't needed to do a full restore, nor have I lost app data in an update.
post #33 of 92
iPod Shuffle
— My resoning: Unless the sales are falling again, which I doubt, I don't think we'll think we'll see any changes to prices, capacity, design or colours.
— My prediction: No changes

iPod Nano
— My reasoning: The previous two generation so the Nano before the "fatty" was given a face lift each year in September. I don't think this will be any different, especially with the lukewarm acceptance of this portly player. I think a move to 8GB and 16GB is still cost prohibitive to maintain the $149 and $199 price. On the other hand Apple did state that this quarter would show a lower overall profit margin so perhaps this is the reason or perhaps they will keep the same capacity and lower the price point or both. Since the iPhone has 16GB and the Touch has 32GB I think Apple match the Nano again to the iPhone.
(I've already explained my feelings on the case in an earlier post)

— My prediction:
....• 8GB for $149
....• 16GB for $199
....• New colours
....• New tall design w/ landscape video
....• Clickwheel with backlight, images that change with orintation

iPod Classic
— My reasoning: Toshiba still lists the 160GB HDD as their largest drive, but they have a 120GB 1-platter version for the thinner Classic. I don't think this will make it into the Classic unless they add a middle option (the Touch has 3 capacity choices), but that would mean that the Classic is more popular than I assume it is. I think Apple is most likely to keep the the Classic the way it is but with a $50 price drop.

— My Prediction:
....• 80GB for $199
....• 160GB for $299
....• No HW changes

iPod Touch
— My reasoning: There won't be a 64GB version as the 32GB chips are not available yet for the 2 install slots. Even if their were it would be cost prohibitive to keep the same price point of $500 for the 32GB model. They could use uneven chip sizes, like one 32GB and one 16GB chip for an aggregate 48GB, but that couldn't happen this time around. They could install a 3rd place for a another chip, but that would mean a whole new redesign so we can get 12, 24, and 48GB now, but Is this likely? I don't think so. I'd like to think that a camera will be added, but I have doubts here too. I think the new Touches will get OS X v2.1 included and since the App Store now offers so much to the consumer and long term additional income for Apple I think that the prices will drop by $100 for the two smaller models and by $50 to $100 for the 32GB model.

— My prediction:
....• 8GB for $200
....• 16 for $300
....• 32GB for $450
....• v2.1 included
....• No case changes

edit: As for the other items coming with the special event in September would be a new iTunes, completely new MBs and MBPs, and a Processor, RAM and HDD upgrade for the MBA.

Oddly, I think Rose may have something with the Blu-ray rumouring. Montevina will have integrated HDCP support so this is the first time Apple can offer BRD that will allow for true BR output. Also, this time last year the HD optical media war was still going strong. Even though the victory was set as soon as Sony announced BRD in all PS3s it wasn't until January that HD-DVD tapped out of the match. I don't know if there are BRD that are thin enough for Apple to use for the MBP, but if their are, they will offered as an option. If not, the support will be added for an external drive.

But why did Rose say support in 10.5.6, not 10.5.5. Since 10.5.5 should be out in September, 10.5.6 in October or November. To me, this prediction adds credence because I don't think the new notebooks until then as Intel seems to be behind schedule and may still be having issues with the the X4500. This may mean updates for backing up data to BR in iLife and iMovie mastering, but more importantly it means updates to the Pro apps to support full BRD support. This is something that is completely lacking for professionals who want to use Mac.
post #34 of 92
That has to be one of the least plausible mock ups in quite a while.
This looks three times longer than it is wide. It's practically a knife! And combine that with sharp corners and you have a device designed to cause physical injury.

Furthermore the clickwheel is labelled wrong for landscape operation.

If the Nano is to get a wider or larger video screen, I think the design can only go two ways.
1) A clickwheel beneath the screen. Resulting in a square format - like the current iPod Nano.
2) Lose the clickwheel altogether. And have a lite touch interface.

C.
post #35 of 92
Quote:

— My prediction:
....• 8GB for $200
....• 16 for $300
....• 32GB for $450
....• v2.1 included
....• No case changes

I'm predicting a smaller iPod Touch in Nano colours, at a reduced price (remember the smaller screen rumoured for the iPhone?) but otherwise the same as existing functionality. And a larger iPod touch (1.5x width and height) with same functionality at same price as existing iPod touch.

My reasoning: They need to differentiate the iPod Touch from the iPhone. If it looks the same, does less, and costs the same or more "up front" - the product won't survive. Make it slightly smaller and 'cuter' and cheaper and you'll get a different market to those after the iPhone. Make another iPod Touch that's bigger and again you get a different market.

My hope: Bluetooth added to the iPod Touch. Let us connect to the internet via Bluetooth, so I can surf the net using my existing mobile phone.

(edit: another possibility: Apple markets an iPod Touch + car mount + GPS + built in maps and turn by turn navigation, as a competitor to the Garmin/Navman etc.)

Quote:

I'll raise 2 hands (one for my wife, one for my father). And lower one hand for my brother (who has had to restore)

My wife and father have had problems, certainly had it restart by itself a couple of times and had to restart it ourselves - but no restore or lost data of any kind.
post #36 of 92
I hope that's not the new Nano. It looks like shite.
post #37 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

New Quicktime- ? Does that mean new Quicktime Pro will have to purchased to replace the old one?

From what I've read, rumors , the next version of QuickTime is a major big-deal release. So like every previous major release I'd say that you will be paying for the pro version.
post #38 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

From what I've read, rumors , the next version of QuickTime is a major big-deal release. So like every previous major release I'd say that you will be paying for the pro version.

Well I certainly don't mind paying if its major . Can you elaborate on what it will feature?
post #39 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Well I certainly don't mind paying if its major . Can you elaborate on what it will feature?

I think the AI article below is the only info about major QT changes.
http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...icktime_x.html
post #40 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexanderodood@gmail.com View Post

How about adding a top of the line (slightly fatter) iPod Touch which includes a 160 gig HD instead of solid state media. Now all the folks who need massive storage to carry their entire libraries also gain the Touch/OS X/Apps/iTunes benefits?

My very first post to AppleInsider!

Hard drive consume batteries big time. So do big bright touch screens. The only reason that the iPod Classic has decent battery life with the hard drive is because it doesn't also have a big fancy touch screen.

The days of hard drives in iPods will be over in a few years. Give it 5 more years, and we'll be saying the same about laptops.

Thompson
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Digg founder claims knowledge of 4G iPod nano, iTunes 8.0